RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

mpastor -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/30/2007 12:10:13 AM)

1. Any previous experience in testing software.

Yes, I have helped test GUI and performance of a number of engineering applications.  Have some minimal experience testing home (or small group) developed amateur gaming software.   I am an old fellow, and rarely find board game opponents, so I play computer games mostly now.  

2. Your experience of cardboard World in Flames (remember we need equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)

b. Recruit - Playing WiF occasionally (or played a lot a long time ago).   This would be me.  I played the game a lot from the original release thru a number of expansions.  Last played the game in the 90’s.  However, was looking for a computerized version today when I stumbled on this forum.

3. Your PC specification. (just the basics):

a. CPU speed: 3 GHz
b. RAM: 1.0 GB
c. Operating system: Windows XP
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor: 1600x1200
e. Video Ram: 256 mb 

4. COMPLETELY OPTIONAL:

Stonewall Poland and setup to attack France first.   Strategic deploy back toward Poland and knock them out while setting up for early invasion of Russia.  Concentrate building up army size with addition of armor and air as secondary goal.

jchastain -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/30/2007 6:45:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

how many testere are you nedding ......

The goal for the test team is 20 people. The current recruitment is for four replacements to bring us back to that number.
Further down the track when the multiplayer game is available for testing we will look at increasing the size of the team

Any thought on when you're planning to make your selections for this round? Or have you already done so?

As Petty so eloquently put it... the waaaiting is the hardest part.

Thanks.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/30/2007 7:23:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jchastain
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur
how many testere are you nedding ......

The goal for the test team is 20 people. The current recruitment is for four replacements to bring us back to that number.
Further down the track when the multiplayer game is available for testing we will look at increasing the size of the team

Any thought on when you're planning to make your selections for this round? Or have you already done so?

As Petty so eloquently put it... the waaaiting is the hardest part.

Thanks.

Greyshaft wants to keep the list open for one week, which ends Sunday (his time - Australia). I expect there to be some additional applicants from readers who drop by the forum at the beginning of the month to read the monthly status report. We'll decide quickly once the list closes.

While presently we have 4 open slots, I expect to add another 10 (up to 30) sometime in October, and possibly another 10 (up to 40) around the end of the year.

Greyshaft -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/31/2007 1:37:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
While presently we have 4 open slots, I expect to add another 10 (up to 30) sometime in October, and possibly another 10 (up to 40) around the end of the year.

I'm glad Steve made that announcement. He runs this ship and its easier for the rest of us if we don't comment on those matters.

Seriously, if you are looking to jump into the testing in one of these later waves then now is the time to get more involved in the Forums. Remember that October is only 31 sleeps away... (unless you take a [>:] in the afternoon)

Regarding the current recruitment drive, I will be distributing the list of names to the current Test Team on Monday PM and expect their recommendations (and Steve's input/endorsement) by Wednesday.

MPHopcroft1 -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/31/2007 2:08:48 AM)

quote:

Regarding the current recruitment drive, I will be distributing the list of names to the current Test Team on Monday PM and expect their recommendations (and Steve's input/endorsement) by Wednesday.

Thanks for the heads up. "I want to try something everyone says is stupid to find out WHY they say it's stupid" may not be the most ringing of pitches to join a testing team, but it was worth a try.

jchastain -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/31/2007 4:14:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MPHopcroft

quote:

Thanks for the heads up. "I want to try something everyone says is stupid to find out WHY they say it's stupid" may not be the most ringing of pitches to join a testing team, but it was worth a try.

Sounds like a heck of a lot better answer than explaining that US Americans can't find the US on a map because some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and our education, like such, as in South Africa and Iraq, everywhere like such as, and they should... our education over here in the U.S., should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future. [;)]

Greyshaft -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/31/2007 4:41:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MPHopcroft
quote:

Trying 'stupid' things is important. For example, it may not be good military sense for Britain to refrain from producing pilots but we need to see what happens when Britain DOES run out of pilots. If the game crashes at that point because the array for available pilots has a minimum value of one (rather than zero) then we have a problem. I'm not so much worried about WHY people do those things as much as WHAT happens when they actually do it.

Think of MWiF as a multidimensional sheet of rubber. A tester's job is:
1. consider how many different ways that sheet can be stretched.
2. stretch it in all of those different ways.
3. If it doesn't break then place a tick next to that test and move on to your next test.
4. If it does break then document the result and pass the information on to the developer.
5. keep a list of the bugs you find and test for them in subsequent releases of the code
6. have fun along the way.

therockyfroggy -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/31/2007 6:01:17 AM)

Testing Experience: I have tested a few other software gaming products: Football Mogul, Supreme Ruler 2010. I got involved in those tests because I liked both types of games and I thought it would be fun to help a developer with their product. I was a computer science major in college for a year and I try and dabble in programming occasionally. I've played pretty much all strategic WW2 games for the computer.

WIF experience: None.

Computer specs: CPU - Sempron 3000
Ram - 1.75 GB
Windows XP
Monitor: 1280 x 1024
Vid card: 256 MB

Optional: Germany: Stay at home, develop the economy, do not fight anyone...war is hell.

bj_rohde -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/31/2007 4:16:39 PM)

Previous testing experience: None

WiF experience: Medium rare. :) Have played WiF for about five years, but this year is the first time I'm getting close to actually finishing a campaign...

Computer
CPU: 1,6 GhZ
RAM: 960MB
Max screen resolution: 1280x800
Video RAM: 256 MB

Optional:
Italy should declare war on France in the third impulse of S/O 39, become active, and force the CW to DOW back. Call out the reserves to have sufficient garrisons in Italy, and move the fleet to sea to prevent a port attack from CW on the surprise impulse.

Bjarne

macgregor -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (8/31/2007 5:45:30 PM)

Computer
CPU: 1,7 GhZ
RAM: 960MB
Max screen resolution: 1280x800
Video RAM: 128 MB

Lots of WiF experience(ask Steve), including CWiF.

Ralegh -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/1/2007 3:13:30 AM)

1. Any previous experience in testing software. - Major contributor/tester to Crown of Glory, tester for Forge of Freedom and Empires in Arms. Also participated in dozens of Microsoft alpha and beta programs, and have managed professional testers at work.

2. Your experience of cardboard World in Flames (remember we need equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)
b. Recruit - played a lot a long time ago. One of the few WW2 games I really liked (this and Third Reich).

a. 2 MHz dual core
b. 2 GB
c. Vista Ultimate (tablet)
d. 1400 x 1050
e. 32MB dedicated plus 192MB shared.

doctormm -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/1/2007 3:32:49 AM)

• 1. Any previous experience in testing software.

QA Analyst, Project leader and manager over the course of 5+ years at one company, more than a decade of software configuration management, build management and release management since then.

• 2. Your experience of cardboard World in Flames (remember we need equal numbers of Newbies and Grognards on the team)

e. Grognard++, member of Harry's "Rules Committee".

• 3. Your PC specification. (just the basics):

Laptop -
    1.7GHz (that seems odd, but that's what control panel reports)
    1 GB RAM
    WinXP
    1024x768
    16MB video

Desktop -
    3GHz dual core
    2 GB RAM
    WinXP
    1280x1024 (but will be adding a second 1280x1024 shortly)
    256MB video

• 4. COMPLETELY OPTIONAL - NO BONUS POINTS WILL BE AWARDED FOR (OR AGAINST) ENTRANTS WHO PROVIDE THE NEATEST CORRECT ANSWER TO THE FOLLOWING TOPIC:
    (In fifty words or less) Pick a country and describe an opening strategy you've always wanted to try in the 1939 campaign game eg.

France, Russia and CW dogpile on Japan. Combination of Soviet and Chinese land and CW/FR naval should make impulse choices very hard for Japan. Never tried it because it's too high risk, and WiF games don't come often enough to risk wasting one. MWiF sure will solve that problem.

Greyshaft -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/1/2007 3:46:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctormm
France, Russia and CW dogpile on Japan. Combination of Soviet and Chinese land and CW/FR naval should make impulse choices very hard for Japan. Never tried it because it's too high risk, and WiF games don't come often enough to risk wasting one. MWiF sure will solve that problem

Now THAT is something I'd like to see (unless I was Japan [:D])

jchastain -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/1/2007 4:08:48 AM)

While I am not in the habit of promoting the applications of others above my own, I would encourage any decision makers who might not be aware of Ralegh's excellent guides for CoG to go take a look.  I would have to say that there is no one who did more than Steve to advance the community of that game and to increase the quality of the product.

Greyshaft -> UPDATED - Betatesters (9/1/2007 9:26:26 AM)

Here is the current list of applicants.
If you applied in this thread and your name is not on this list then please contact me.

In order to get the decisions made ASAP we're starting the discussions now although (as promised) the lists remain open till midnight on Sunday and all comers until that point will have an equal opportunity to present their credentials .

• michaelbaldur
  • Toed
  • bredsjomagnus
  • Flanker Leader
  • Borger Borgersen
  • dale1066
  • Graf Zeppelin
  • MPHopcroft
  • Jimm
  • jchastain
  • Zorachus99
  • mldtchdog
  • grisouille
  • delatbabel
  • Irish Guards
  • Ballista
  • Alan_Bernardo
  • mpastor
  • therockyfroggy
  • bj_rohde
  • macgregor
  • Ralegh
  • doctormm

Hortlund -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/1/2007 12:48:22 PM)

Any previous experience in testing software.

Betatester for
Victoria
Crusader Kings
Hearts of Iron 2
Diplomacy
Europa Universalis 3

I did the 1914 campaign from ground up in Vicky, same with the 1936, 1939, 1941 and 1938 campaigns in HoI2.

Your experience of cardboard World in Flames

Somewhere in the middle of average and grognard.

PC specification
1.5 Ghz,
512 MB Ram,
Windows XP,
2048 x 1536.
Not sure what my video ram is though...how do I find out? I can play witp, so its got to be something.

(In fifty words or less) Pick a country and describe an opening strategy you've always wanted to try in the 1939 campaign game eg.

USSR - take Persia and Turkey before Barbarossa.

Snydly -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 10:11:18 AM)

1. Any previous experience in testing software.

Two years testing my own ASP and PERL scripts on the internet. Testing VB and their interactions with other software for initial bug fixes before senior members tested them. Since this work I have taken my career in different directions ( I no longer program computers )

I have played many different computer games all through the 1980's to present. The last few years I have play MMO's such as UO, DAoC and WoW to name a few. I have a few computer board games the latest CWiF game from ADG is among them as is 2 titles from Matrix Games. I look forward to playing many MWiF games in the years to come.

b. Recruit - Playing WiF occasionally (or played a lot a long time ago).

Recruit - I played version 4 and Version 5 of the game mainly to an expert level. I played / completed at least 10 full games which included planes in flames addons later we added the mech in flames units also. We always played the game from the start and had a wide gamut of results in our games.

I own a copy of the final edition but never ended up playing it ... no room to play in current home.

I have 2 computers:

a. CPU speed: 3.2 GHz
b. RAM: 1.0 GB
c. Operating system: Windows XP
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor: 1600x1200
e. Video Ram: 256 mb

a. CPU speed: 350 MHz
b. RAM: 384 MB
c. Operating system: Windows 98
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor: 1200x800 or so
e. Video Ram: 128 mb

4. COMPLETELY OPTIONAL:

I have always wanted to get a good early start with Italy when playing the Axis against perhaps an inexperienced player. Capturing Malta or Gibraltar in a relatively pain free way could setup a great many options including the invasion of the Great Britain.

The other Dream scenario happened to me when i played Russia, I was pushed Back to the Urals ... I as a German player would love to push the Russians back to the Ural Mountains and explore the invasion of India with help from an Aggressive Japanese empire. ( The person who Pushed me back to the Urals ... Turtled in Europe and pushed my invading Armies out of Italy in 1943 ... LoL I still hurt over this )

Greyshaft -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 12:22:32 PM)

Panzerjaeger Hortlund and Snydly have been included for consideration as testers.

Peter Stauffenberg -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 1:20:51 PM)

It seems you now have 25 applicants for participating in beta testing. I read you will get 3-4 now, 10 more in late October and maybe 10 more at the end of the year.

Does this mean that all of us who are on the beta testing list now and won't get a chance now will automatically get a new chance in October and by the end of the year. Or do you intend to have separate beta tester recruitment processes each time, meaning we have to maybe confirm out application or send in a new one similar to this one?

Greyshaft -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 1:31:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Borger Borgersen

It seems you now have 25 applicants for participating in beta testing. I read you will get 3-4 now, 10 more in late October and maybe 10 more at the end of the year.

Does this mean that all of us who are on the beta testing list now and won't get a chance now will automatically get a new chance in October and by the end of the year. Or do you intend to have separate beta tester recruitment processes each time, meaning we have to maybe confirm out application or send in a new one similar to this one?

Fair question. The current list of applicants will be carried over into the October intake. If you are on the list already you will not need to re-apply in October. I appreciate the tremendous interest in this game and I wish we could have you all. Reality tells us that would be unmanageable hence this teeth-grinding, nail-biting process of picking applicants. As I have said before, I'm always open to suggestions to make it a better system.

The test team was fairly unanimous in their decision for the 3 successful applicants. Unless there are any late applications for consideration the successful intake will be announced in about ten hours. There will also be a surprise announcement.

Froonp -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 5:29:06 PM)

quote:

If you applied for this round, and then stay inactive until october, I bet you won't have the possibility to join the Beta team. We need to know that you are still interested.

Peter Stauffenberg -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 7:37:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
If you applied for this round, and then stay inactive until october, I bet you won't have the possibility to join the Beta team. We need to know that you are still interested.

That means we just need to follow the MWIF forums and see when a new message about recruitment of beta testers in October and then write a short message to confirm we're still interested in being a beta tester. No problem doing that. [:)]

Most people (all except the lucky 3) on the beta tester list won't be picked this time, but they all have 2 NEW chances later this year. That's good to know.

BoerWar -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 7:59:18 PM)

1. Any previous experience in testing software. None

Newbie to Recruit -
Played years ago, don't know anyone in the local area.

a. CPU speed - HP, P4, 3.2 GHz laptop
b. RAM - 2 GB
c. Operating system - Win XP
d. Maximum screen resolution for your monitor - Running 1024 X 768 for external monitor, but properties indicate laptop monitor can go to 2048 X 1536
e. Video Ram - ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 128 MB

4. COMPLETELY OPTIONAL - Germany - Sealion; or UK/US - Germany first, Med denial, early invasion

Jimm -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 8:52:47 PM)

quote:

That means we just need to follow the MWIF forums and see when a new message about recruitment of beta testers in October and then write a short message to confirm we're still interested in being a beta tester. No problem doing that. [:)]

I'm only guessing but general contributions to the forum are probably valued as part of the selection process. So keep commenting chaps!

Peter Stauffenberg -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 9:19:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimm
quote:

I'm only guessing but general contributions to the forum are probably valued as part of the selection process. So keep commenting chaps!

It looks to me most interested people may have a chance to join the beta tester team. By the end of the year maybe as much as 25 new people will be needed. It's about the same as the size of the new applicants list. But some new people will hope to join in October and December so not everybody will be offered a place eventually. Some beta testers have to drop out due to different reasons so I guess most people who want to help making the best Computer WW2 game ever will have their chance. [:D]

Having been helpful on the forums is always a plus when they're going to select new forum members. But you have to remember that people will be selected for the beta tester team for different reasons. They WILL need some people with no WIF experience because they would want to test how newbies will respond to the game. Newbies can often find bugs the experts can't find because they try to do things in a way the experts won't do. I know from personal experience at work it's a big mistake to only allow experienced users to test a new version of a program. They know how to do everything right and therefore won't experience some of the hidden bugs. So you will need beta testers with different backgrounds to achieve the best results.

I don't know which kind of people they want now. They're replacing some people who had to drop-out so I believe this time they want people with some knowledge of WIF and also MWIF. In October and even more so in December I believe they want to hire people with no WIF experience at all.

So I think all of us have a fair chance of being chosen. Some of us will be lucky and some not. The good news is that we can all buy the game in the Summer of 2008 and play if we're not selected at all. [:)] So the long wait for MWIF will soon be over. But your suggestion to try to be active and helpful on the forums is definitely good advise. I would think the Beta tester team would look for people who show genuine interest in MWIF. It doesn't matter from what background, the main thing is the interest in trying to help and make the game even better. Hiring a person who will not contribute at all and he only applied so he could satisfy his curiosity about how the game would look like is not a good idea. But you never know who will become good contributing beta tester members and who won't. Some times very active people on the forums can't contribute much because real life issues happen (more to do at work, family issues etc.). That's probably one reason the beta tester team has several times they accept new members. It's inevitable some good testers will bail out due to work or family related issues.

Soon we will know who the first lucky 3 would be. [:)]

jesperpehrson -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/2/2007 10:05:05 PM)

quote:

Soon we will know who the first lucky 3 would be. [:)]

[:)]

Greyshaft -> New Betatesters announced (9/3/2007 1:47:10 AM)

The new testers are:

1. Borger
2. mldtchdog, and
3. Zorachus99

Let me explain the reasons for their success.

1. Please reread Borger's application. It is informative and well laid out. Borger knows how to communicate well and he does so with every post. Since the Forum is our only means of communication it is essential that we put in the effort to help other people understand what we are saying. That discipline is highly prized in testing. It can be very frustrating to receive a bug report along the lines of "Started the game. It didn't work. Some kind of memory error". Also review Borger's work in the Forums in contributing ideas and assisting in consolidating links for the benefit of other readers.

2. capitan was given an opportunity to nominate one of his crew of writers. He and Steve agreed mldtchdog was most deserving of the prize although a couple of the others writers were close behind.

3. Zorachus99 has been around forever in the Forums adding to the conversation with well reasoned thoughts. As with the writing team we recognize that others have done the same. In this case we selected Zorachus99

Thanks to all who applied. Your applications will carry over into the October intake.

Now for the surprise announcement. The high quality of the applications made it very difficult to say 'no' to some of the candidates. We decided on a compromise of pre-selecting some of the October intake... consider it a consolation prize. For next months reinforcements the list will include:

1. Doctormm as a recognized rules guru (recommended by Patrice).
2. Jimm as a industrious researcher and writer (recommended by capitan and Steve)
3. Toed for assistance with the AIO (recommended by Steve)
4. Ralegh who is new to the MWiF Forum but has previously demonstrated his teamwork abilities with his excellent Crown of Glory documentation. He gets my recommendation.

These four are invited into the test team as part of the October intake. Three of the remaining six positions for October will be reserved for complete newbies to WiF. Perhaps they can work with Ralegh to duplicate the CoG guides for MWiF? Lets see what happens in October.

Welcome aboard to Borger, mldtchdog, and Zorachus99. Please send me a PM with your email address and I'll get the paperwork started to sign you up.

Thanks again to everyone for your interest.
Wish we could have you all.

Zorachus99 -> RE: Now recruiting additional Betatesters (9/3/2007 7:32:38 AM)

Thanks for the selection!  Congratulations to everyone else who has put an awesome amount of donor time to see this project move forward.

Arron69 -> RE: New Betatesters announced (9/3/2007 3:49:17 PM)

This post has been altered by owner to save this game from sauer grabes.

Andi

Ballista -> RE: New Betatesters announced (9/3/2007 4:54:33 PM)

Congratulations on those who got selected. I'm still on the outside looking in, but I am looking forward to a great game by Origins next year (indeed, without me "helping", I expect it to be even better [:)])

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI