TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

ralphtricky -> TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 4:21:29 AM)

TOAW III 3.2 Beta is now available in the member's area, please log in, and go to the 'My games' section. http://www.matrixgames.com/members/. Since it's a 'beta' patch, you will have to log in to retrieve it. Since this is a beta, please be sure to post any problems in the support forum and not by email, we'll be watching it regularly this weekend.

Warning: Despite a lot of very hard work by a lot of people, we ran out of time in assembling it, so the installation needs a little touch-up before the final release, but the main program is stable, and has been for a while, and all the new scenarios should work fine. We'll release the 'official' patch in 1-2 weeks,with instructions on what files to delete or change to make the beta the same as the 'official patch' The only differences should be deleting and possibly renaming files. If you're involved in a PBEM game, both players must upgrade, although you can plan on any game started with the Beta patch working exactly the same as with the 'official' patch.

I can't give enough thanks to the people that worked so hard on this, late into a Friday evening on a three day weekend. The dedication shown by the Matrix staff and by the TOAD team is truly phenomenal.

Current known issues...
The default scenario directory is reset to nowhere. You'll have to set it up from scratch the first time you open a new scenario.
There is an extra directory in the main directory called TOAD_patch4_scenarios20070830 that can be deleted, it has some old scenarios and some errors.
The file Opart 3 Fonts.Ini ships with the windows font. It can be editied with Notepad replacing four lines that say WindowsFonts=Y to say WindowsFonts=N to make it look like previous versions.
Trotsky's is installed in both the hypothetical and the WWII - Misc directory. You can delete the one in the hypothetical directory.

Ralph

FWT540 -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 7:37:06 AM)

after installing the new patch and pulling up a saved scenario I get a box on the screen saying I'm using the wrong equipment file, continue anyway/ pls advise

ralphtricky -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 8:00:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FWT540

after installing the new patch and pulling up a saved scenario I get a box on the screen saying I'm using the wrong equipment file, continue anyway/ pls advise

What scenario?

FWT540 -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 8:44:22 AM)

DNO 3.7

FWT540 -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 8:47:36 AM)

also scenario screen is blank when game is started, must go to HQ to get old scenario tree

JAMiAM -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 8:57:09 AM)

quote:

also scenario screen is blank when game is started, must go to HQ to get old scenario tree

Per the first post in the thread...

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
Current known issues...
The default scenario directory is reset to nowhere. You'll have to set it up from scratch the first time you open a new scenario.

JAMiAM -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 8:58:33 AM)

quote:

DNO 3.7

DnO 3.7 was never released, nor officially updated, for TOAW III. Did you start and save the scenario with the TOAW III scenario editor before trying to play it?

FWT540 -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 8:58:40 AM)

how do you reset the default directory ( Iappreciate your patience)

JAMiAM -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 9:02:30 AM)

quote:

how do you reset the default directory ( Iappreciate your patience)

When you click on the HQ button, it will open the Windows Explorer dialogue. This should show the active directory to be "My Computer". Navigate to your C:\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War III\Scenarios folder, then choose any one of the Scenario sub-folders as your default folder. You can always change it back later to another, by clicking the HQ button again and assigning a different sub-folder as your "HQ".

FWT540 -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 9:13:41 AM)

thanks--working fine,

FWT540 -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 9:44:51 AM)

DNO 3.7 had been saved prior to installing the new patch

Curtis Lemay -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 8:08:35 PM)

quote:

DNO 3.7 had been saved prior to installing the new patch

If you switch from a scenario that uses a modified eqp file to one that doesn't, you'll get that message (and it will be a correct message! The previous .eqp will be in use). To avoid it, exit TOAW III, then open it fresh before starting any scenario or saved game.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/1/2007 8:10:41 PM)

Now that you've downloaded 3.2.29.28, you'll want to try the new Bridge Destroyed display feature. To do that, you need a set of tiles made for it. I've posted a set here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1161658&mpage=3&key=�

in post #69.

shunwick -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 12:35:10 AM)

Ralph,

1. In the Advanced Options box top pane the bottom item is blank apart from the on/off button.

2. The font decenders leave traces of themselves on several of the screens where scrolling is available. In addition the fonts look a little squished. On the checking supplies windows at the begining of the turn the decenders are overwritten by the little boxes. None of these are biggies just makes it look a tad untidy.

3. Not sure if this has anything to do with the patch (probably not) but I have a scenario (Russian War 1.1 PO) that claims to be for TOAW I. It loads into the game window although there is a serious performance degredation and it causes TOAW III to freeze if one tries to load it into the editor.

Best wishes,

Telumar -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 1:05:32 AM)

Ralph..

in the editor using the mouse-wheel zoom also zooms out the tiles on the right (in map draw mode).

to the above point 2.) depends on font and font size, but i experience this, too. Tweak around with Opart 3 fonts.ini, i use this:

[LargeFont]
windowsFont=Y
Weight=600
Size=9
Font=Arial
[MediumFont]
Outline=Y
Background=Y
Spacing=1
windowsFont=Y
Weight=600
Size=8
Font=Arial
[SmallFont]
Outline=N
Background=Y
Spacing=1
Font=Tahoma
windowsFont=Y
Weight=600
Size=7
[Colors]
Background=0x7F7F7F
Gold=0xD3C250
Red=0xFF0000
Silver=0xEEEEEE
[DocumentFont]
windowsFont=Y
Outline=N
Background=Y
Spacing=0
Weight=600
Size=8
Font=Verdana
[ObjectiveFont]
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=Y
Spacing=0
Weight=800
Size=9
Font=Arial

to the above point 3.) I had no problem with loading (a standard TOAW3) a scenario into the editor

Curtis Lemay -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 1:36:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Ralph,

1. In the Advanced Options box top pane the bottom item is blank apart from the on/off button.

This must be due to Windows fonts. I'm not seeing it with bit-mapped fonts.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 1:38:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Ralph..

in the editor using the mouse-wheel zoom also zooms out the tiles on the right (in map draw mode).

Well, select the tile you're going to edit before you zoom.

shunwick -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 2:27:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

Ralph,

This must be due to Windows fonts. I'm not seeing it with bit-mapped fonts.

Bob,

I have gone back to the original fonts and I still have no description of what the on/off button is for. I assume this is for the new flanking rule?

Also, the game manual is no longer available from the launch window. It seems to try to load Adobe Reader (I am at Version 8) but then nothing. In addition, it screws up the reader so that it is not useable again until I reboot the computer.

Best wishes,

shunwick -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 2:36:43 AM)

Thanks Telumar, I will try out your font suggestions tomorrow. Do you have the missing bottom line in the Advanced Options menu or is everything ok for you?

Best wishes,

Telumar -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 2:48:33 AM)

quote:

quote:

Ralph..

No - doesn't work. Here is how it looks:

[image]local://upfiles/19263/FDA2C37D453442C8A8A89D1DCDB469A5.jpg[/image]

JAMiAM -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 2:55:52 AM)

quote:

I have gone back to the original fonts and I still have no description of what the on/off button is for. I assume this is for the new flanking rule?

Also, the game manual is no longer available from the launch window. It seems to try to load Adobe Reader (I am at Version 8) but then nothing. In addition, it screws up the reader so that it is not useable again until I reboot the computer.

Although I have nothing but contempt for Adobe's update code, as it tends to hang up while installing, if it doesn't drop the connection first, leaves each previous update version installed, and is pretty much the ultimate in bloatware, I am having no problems with immediately opening the manual. I'm using Version 7 of the Adobe Reader. Also, I'm seeing the following pane, for Advanced Game Options, so it sounds like it might be some sort of issue on your machine. Perhaps drivers, file corruption, etc.

[image]local://upfiles/10882/6D6B514A22D3489FBAB260C4943256A9.jpg[/image]

JAMiAM -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 3:00:56 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ralph..

No - doesn't work. Here is how it looks:

I think you misunderstood Bob's reply. If I'm not mistaken, he meant to select the tile before you zoom, so that it is active for painting. He did not mean that it would prevent the zoom down of the tiles in the pane. We know that it is an issue with the tile selection pane zooming down, when the map screen is zooned down in the editor. I believe that what Bob was suggesting was the work around for the behavior. If I've put the wrong words in his mouth, I'm sure he'll correct me shortly...

cantona2 -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 3:02:04 AM)

Keep getting this message when trying to unzip

xtracting to "C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan_M\Local Settings\Temp\"
Use Path: no Overlay Files: yes
Extracting TOAW-UpdateComp-DR-v322926sec.exe
bad CRC 013959b5 (should be 393d6fe6)
Warning: the size of the extracted file (62942469) does not match the uncompressed size (62942431) recorded in the zip file

JAMiAM -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 3:03:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Keep getting this message when trying to unzip

xtracting to "C:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan_M\Local Settings\Temp\"
Use Path: no Overlay Files: yes
Extracting TOAW-UpdateComp-DR-v322926sec.exe
bad CRC 013959b5 (should be 393d6fe6)
Warning: the size of the extracted file (62942469) does not match the uncompressed size (62942431) recorded in the zip file

Hi Jonathan,

It sounds like you got a bad download. Please delete the file and download it again.

cantona2 -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 3:08:19 AM)

13% downloaded so far [:D]

shunwick -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 3:16:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

Although I have nothing but contempt for Adobe's update code, as it tends to hang up while installing, if it doesn't drop the connection first, leaves each previous update version installed, and is pretty much the ultimate in bloatware, I am having no problems with immediately opening the manual. I'm using Version 7 of the Adobe Reader. Also, I'm seeing the following pane, for Advanced Game Options, so it sounds like it might be some sort of issue on your machine. Perhaps drivers, file corruption, etc.

[image]local://upfiles/10882/6D6B514A22D3489FBAB260C4943256A9.jpg[/image]

James, it can't be drivers since I have everything else apart from the bottom line. When you hover the mouse over any of the buttons you get a description in the messsage area at the bottom of the screen ie. movies on or high supply on. But when I hover over the unlabeled button all I get in "on".

I shall reinstall and see if that solves the problem.

Best wishes,

JAMiAM -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 5:39:49 AM)

quote:

James, it can't be drivers since I have everything else apart from the bottom line. When you hover the mouse over any of the buttons you get a description in the messsage area at the bottom of the screen ie. movies on or high supply on. But when I hover over the unlabeled button all I get in "on".

Good luck! Let us know how it goes, okay?

Silvanski -> TOAW 3.2 Beta fonts suggestion (9/2/2007 11:18:55 AM)

[Colors]
Background=0x000000
Gold=0xffd700
Red=0xFF0000
Silver=0xffffff
[DocumentFont]
windowsFont=Y
Outline=N
Background=Y
Spacing=0
Weight=400
Size=10
Font=Arial Rounded MT Bold
[MediumFont]
windowsFont=Y
Outline=Y
Background=Y
Spacing=1
Weight=400
Size=8
[SmallFont]
windowsFont=Y
Outline=N
Background=Y
Spacing=1
Weight=200
Size=7
[ObjectiveFont]
windowsFont=Y
Outline=N
Background=Y
Spacing=0
Weight=400
Size=12

shunwick -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 12:49:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

Good luck! Let us know how it goes, okay?

James,

The game manual from the launch window thing seems to be an incompatibility between the Matrix launch window and Adobe Reader Version 8.

I have the following Matrix games: TOAW III, Harpoon 3, Steel Panthers World at War, The Campaign Series, War in the Pacific, Chariots of War, and Titans of Steel. I have tested each one and the only game that will now let me access the game manual from the launch window is Steel Panthers World at War. All the others fail.

So it's not specific to the TOAW patch but why would Steel Panthers be OK if all the others fail? Note that I can still access the manuals by going to them via explorer and double clicking or by launching the reader from the desktop and then loading the manual. It's not the end of the world.

As for the blank line in the Advanced Options window, I reinstalled the patch but it changed nothing. I have just re-downloaded the patch and I am going to back up my scenarios and saves, completely uninstall TOAW, reinstall the base realease, and apply the new patch to that.

I will let you know if that solves the problem.

Best wishes,

sapper32 -> RE: TOAW 3.2 Beta Available (9/2/2007 2:22:30 PM)

Hi i have been sent pbem games on the earlier patch should i do them and send them back before upgrading thanks Ian

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI