RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

jwilkerson -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/26/2008 7:46:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

is less than clear to me? It certainly is not an attempt to answer the question asked. This is a public forum discussion and it need never have been invited: since it was questions are germane; since we don't read the new code we will NEVER ask questions based on that - only what we DO know about. If you are forbidding us to ask in the context of what we know, there is nothing to talk about beyond generalizations: Matrix may as well have said "wait for it to come out - then comments are welcome (or even not welcome)." I don't think that is the intent here - so I am mystified. Nor do I assume that anyone in the development stream is ignorant or incompetent - except in the sense we all must be ignorant of a set of subjects so vast as is required to attempt this simulation game in the first place: meaning none of us can possibly be expert in all of these matters. I think the evidence is that the present effort is far better staffed than the original one was - and I am optimistic that many improvements must be forthcoming. I am also philosophical about why it was not done so well the first time: you always learn from what has been done before; without the first effort there could be no justification for capitalizing this effort; the present project must end up better off than any original one could have because of the much greater base of knowledge which has grown around the first product. In the long run this process will result in a better product - and there is a strong chance it is only a step in the direction of a still better one. Nothing about that dismays me. Not that I will ever be satisfied. I certainly don't think USN doctrinal imperitives ought to be the ones used, for example: it is critical to use IJN doctrincal imperatives and valuable to use RN ones, to mention significant others. But there is nothing whatever wrong with using the USN as a foundation for terminology and conceptualization - and that may really be what was meant (if not what was said). I am not dismayed - and I hope JWE is not either. I just don't think he and I (at a minimum) are communcating effectively in all respects. And this time at least (all the others might be my fault) it may not be my fault.

Lots of words ... lots of words ...

AE is an extension of WITP.

Our goal is to be better .... but not in all regards .. just in a few ... it will be up to the community to judge.

Terminus -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/26/2008 2:48:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

TO come to JWEs aid here - he has just recently taken over the Naval Team Lead slot - and may not be privy to all the changes (or even what doesn't work in stock). Either JWE needs to check with Don to validate - or Don needs to come here and tell us himself. But I do believe I have seen internal communications indicating the the bombardment vessels have been changed (to work) in AE. Let's await confirmation from JWE/Don on this.

I can confirm it; they were made to work fairly early in my tenure as Naval Team Lead.

Mike Solli -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/26/2008 7:32:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

quote:

he has served in the US Army Field Artillery (as have I)

Oh lord ! [X(] Not one but TWO drop-shorts ! [;)]

Must be one of dem mud crawlin' grunts!
[;)]

And is there a problem with that? [;)] [:D]

Dixie -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/27/2008 11:58:31 PM)

Another Royal Navy question if I may.  Will the RN Fiji (Crown Colony) class cruisers be split into the Fiji and Ceylon sub classes (in a similar manner to the Town Classes and Counties for example)?

JWE -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/28/2008 8:05:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raverdave

Oh lord ! [X(] Not one but TWO drop-shorts ! [;)]

Oh, Raver, my dear boy ... we never drop our shorts unless there's a reason.

I prefer to think of it more as being a 10-mile sniper.

JWE -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/28/2008 8:18:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie
Another Royal Navy question if I may.  Will the RN Fiji (Crown Colony) class cruisers be split into the Fiji and Ceylon sub classes (in a similar manner to the Town Classes and Counties for example)?

There are too many sub-classes and inter-conversion options between and among the RN cruisers, for me to recall every detail, but ... there's '41 and '42 Fijis that can continue 'as is' or "convert" to '44 Fijis, of which the Ceylon enters as one. "Conversions" cost. They cost a lot. But they can be done. So I guess the answer is yes, but the split is fuzzy.

There's every mix imaginable; Swiftsures, Didos, Bellonas, 4 options off the C class, 4 off the Ds, Caledons, Ceres', Capetowns; woof, I'm getting the vapors just thinkin about it all.

We burned a good amount of little grey cells (c.f. Hercule Poirot) makin sure you Monarchist, Imperialists have something to play with.

Dixie -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/28/2008 8:24:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

We burned a good amount of little grey cells (c.f. Hercule Poirot) makin sure you Monarchist, Imperialists have something to play with.

Good show old chap! [:)]

I also like the fact that there are C & D class options as well [8D] Normal CL and CLAA variants I assume [:)]

Whisper -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/28/2008 8:34:04 PM)

quote:

quote:

I also like the fact that there are C & D class options as well [8D] Normal CL and CLAA variants I assume [:)]

Yes. Variants within the CL groups, but mostly CL - CLAA variants. Off Chatham records and RN specs and TROMs.

JWE -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/28/2008 8:59:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whisper

quote:

Yes. Variants within the CL groups, but mostly CL - CLAA variants. Off Chatham records and RN specs and TROMs.

Jeremy is pretty much spot on. There were several conversions done to vessels in these classes, and the various conversions were planned for others. These others weren't done because of the 'yard' space and time/availability limitations on the RN during the war years.

"Conversions" in AE are possible, if , in fact, they were done irl, but the time frames and costs, will reflect the limitations. i.e., it might take you 6 to 9 mos to effect a conversion (since it did, indeed, take that long) and the number of specific "yards" available to perform that conversion will be limited (to say nothing of all the other conversions waiting in line). You will have the same constraints placed on you, as a player, as were placed on the Lords of Admiralty; now ain't ya just tickled - you're First Lord.

Dixie -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/28/2008 9:00:31 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whisper

quote:

Jeremy is pretty much spot on. There were several conversions done to vessels in these classes, and the various conversions were planned for others. These others weren't done because of the 'yard' space and time/availability limitations on the RN during the war years.

"Conversions" in AE are possible, if , in fact, they were done irl, but the time frames and costs, will reflect the limitations. i.e., it might take you 6 to 9 mos to effect a conversion (since it did, indeed, take that long) and the number of specific "yards" available to perform that conversion will be limited (to say nothing of all the other conversions waiting in line). You will have the same constraints placed on you, as a player, as were placed on the Lords of Admiralty; now ain't ya just tickled - you're First Lord.

[sm=happy0065.gif][sm=happy0065.gif][sm=happy0065.gif] [:)]

trojan58 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 5:24:15 AM)

Could we have the port repair routines fixed so that a ship which has been sitting for 3 days in a size 9 port,with repair facilities, 4 x AR's and a Fleet HQ still sinks due to flooding.   Anyone heard of Drydocks 

Feinder -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 6:43:47 AM)

quote:

Could we have the port repair routines fixed so that a ship which has been sitting for 3 days in a size 9 port,with repair facilities, 4 x AR's and a Fleet HQ still sinks due to flooding.

This has the ring of (unfortunate) personal experience...  [;)]

And FYI, your post implies that you WANT the ship to sink...?

-F-

Dixie -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 7:09:35 PM)

quote:

Where have you drawn the line with this, if there is a line at all. Will players be able to rebuild Devonshire, Shropshire and Sussex like London was?

Terminus -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 7:13:39 PM)

The engine would certainly allow for this, but whether it's been done or not, I don't know...

JWE -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 7:34:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: trojan
Could we have the port repair routines fixed so that a ship which has been sitting for 3 days in a size 9 port,with repair facilities, 4 x AR's and a Fleet HQ still sinks due to flooding. Anyone heard of Drydocks

Don't know about 'fixed', but they have been redone. You'll be able to prioritize vessels requiring repair. There are also dedicated 'repair' yards. We’ve also way increased the graininess of the damage control and repair routines.

Heard about drydocks once upon a time; seems like a nice thing to have. Unfortunately, specific drydock routines are difficult to implement: How many are there? Is anyone currently at home? How big (small) is it in relation to the ship? How important are the other ships waiting in the queue? That sort of thing.

But, as Brother Feinder pointed out, if you want them to “still” sink, I suppose we could fix something up. [:D]

Dixie -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 7:56:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The engine would certainly allow for this, but whether it's been done or not, I don't know...

I realise that it could be done, but I don't think it should be if that makes sense. [:)]

JWE -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 8:01:07 PM)

quote:

Where have you drawn the line with this, if there is a line at all. Will players be able to rebuild Devonshire, Shropshire and Sussex like London was?

Well, we don’t “really” draw the line, at least not in the engine. Lots of things are “possible”, but may well take a year or 2 to effect. In the std OOB, there is some interplay among the various London, Shropshire, Norfolk, configurations, but the London-rebuild was just applied to HMS London.

It’s a “rule of reason”. There just wasn’t enuf yard space, or time, to do all the nifty conversions. To do a full-on London rebuild, would put most of the RN CAs into the rebuild yard till the end of the war, and would also preclude use of that yard space for anything else. Besides, what was so special about London-R as opposed to, say .. Norfolk?

As you will see, there’s no impediment to doing the full-on rebuild (inside the editor), except that they probably won’t be available till maybe Korea. Up to you, First Lord.

Dixie -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 8:17:58 PM)

quote:

quote:

Well, we don’t “really” draw the line, at least not in the engine. Lots of things are “possible”, but may well take a year or 2 to effect. In the std OOB, there is some interplay among the various London, Shropshire, Norfolk, configurations, but the London-rebuild was just applied to HMS London.

It’s a “rule of reason”. There just wasn’t enuf yard space, or time, to do all the nifty conversions. To do a full-on London rebuild, would put most of the RN CAs into the rebuild yard till the end of the war, and would also preclude use of that yard space for anything else. Besides, what was so special about London-R as opposed to, say .. Norfolk?

Apart from the increased stresses on the hull? [:D] As I briefly mentioned in another post I don't feel that it should have been possible (at least in the stock AE campaign) for the reasons you mentioned, plus the cost [X(] (lots and lots and lots of money IRL). It just occured to me after it was mentioned that the C & D classes would have a similar option, and I quote:

quote:

Conversions" in AE are possible, if , in fact, they were done irl

quote:

As you will see, there’s no impediment to doing the full-on rebuild (inside the editor), except that they probably won’t be available till maybe Korea. Up to you, First Lord.

Does that mean there will be a new WiK being released as well [:D]

JWE -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 11:05:07 PM)

Ya know, Dixie, .. oh pardon me .. I mean M'lud Dix, I've tried to make it clear, on oh, so many occasions, that AE isn't just a "number" tweak on WiTP, but a conceptual change. I do believe you "get it" !

We've got a lot of well grounded OOB pukes putting this together, but we're always open to expanding the box. We know somewhat, but definitely not allwhat. Your questions and inputs have been rational and reasonable, and are always welcome.

I do believe AE would make even Vickey get a bit excited.

Ciao.

trojan58 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 11:16:54 PM)

change "still" to doesn't"

trojan58 -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/29/2008 11:22:20 PM)

would it be too hard to change the routines for ports.    So that if a ship with flooding damage disbands in a port of a certain size , say 8+ and/or with a repair yard, then on the next turn flooding is reduced to 0.   This could simulate ports above a size having dry dock facilities.

madgamer2 -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (1/30/2008 12:02:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

This is for all general questions regarding naval matters in the Admirals Edition. Don't ask very specific questions, ask for screenshots, specific unit data, etc. It's not that we don't want you to have them, but we don't want to promise something specific now that's not going to be in the final product.

There are still 24 hrs. in a day, right? It looks to me you spend a large amount of time here in the form so how do you find time to:

1. work
2. Sleep
3. Have a life
4. work on WitP
Being an old guy I have no idea how you manage all of this but THANKS for doing it. It means a lot to the players of this game and support this forum.

Madgamer

Terminus -> RE: Admirals Edition Naval Thread (1/30/2008 12:05:20 AM)

I don't work on WitP anymore, I don't sleep very much, I eat at my computer (only proper table outside the kitchen), and as for this "life" thing? Haven't had one of those for a long time...

Tankerace -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/30/2008 3:05:15 AM)

quote:

quote:

Just dropping a note here, since I'm the one inputting all these classes. I think that John and some other people might be giving you the slightly wrong impression. All of these are available to the player, (The various C and D class ships in a multitude of fits) but while the engine would allow for it in a mod, players cannot convert to each individual option in each circumstance.

For instance, it is possible for players to convert Flush Deck destroyers to any of the myriad of options and back again, because this was done on a large scale. Add too that war needs might necessitate it (if you loose all your DMs, convert a new batch).

However, while the various cruiser classes are represented, C class cruisers cannot be converted to CLAA types, nor vice versa. In vessels larger than destroyers, conversions are only allowed for those vessels that had them or that could have received them in theater. Thus since the New Mexico class US BBs were altered, at least on one isntance, by the captain's insistance it is presented as an option in game for players. However such low level command would not apply to a massive role/strategic conversion as applied to many British cruisers.

Thus, in game, you ARE NOT able to convert a Ceres class cruiser to a Caledon style CLAA. However, modders could render this capable quite easy with 5 minutes in the scenario editor. Again, such a role/policy shift would not have been made at the SEAsia or CinCPac level.

So, in answer to this question:

quote:

The line is drawn at historical conversion, conversions that were ordered but not proceeded with, conversions applied in theater, or conversions ordered by commanders in theater. Thus, Devonshire, Shropshire, and Sussex cannot be rebuilt to the same standard London was. In fact, as the OOB stands right now, following the upgrade paths Devonshire and Sussex will end the war with one set of upgrades, Shropshire with another, and London with another. I may allow Devonshire/Shropshire to convert to one anyother (which in effect removes X turret for more AA).

Conversions exist within the Allied OOB to facilitate Historic conversions, or for allowing players to choose the final ending armament of a class when the class had a variety of armament (think US or British battleships at the end of the war. The KGVs are a prime example). They do not exist for allowing fantasy conversions that would create a role/policy shift on the intended platform, such as a British CL to a CLAA. Such decisions would be above the Allied players paygrade.

Conversions that could have or were ordered in theater are present. Thus, Allied players may convert more Gearing class destroyers to radar pickets, but other destroyer classes are not allowed to be convert as they were not done historically. US Fleet submarines can convert to Gunboats because many were historically, but other US subs predating the Gato's are not allowed to, because they did not historically.

I think what John is driving at is the engine has that ability, to let players convert at will. But the OOB while allowing for many conversions is, at least the part I'm doing, is drawing the line at a compromise at what was historically done and what could have been done.

1275psi -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/30/2008 3:57:20 AM)

Hi
The AE threads are getting pretty big, and I have not really followed them too much -I already am going to get it! -a quick question on Political points
I understand that not returning a ship will be expensive.
But what is to stop a person just going into the political points red -and then deciding -well -Ill never get back into the green -Ill just never return anything now.
Tabpub against me nhas never returned a single ship as far as I can tell -and in game terms it has'nt hurt too much.

Would it make more sense to say -well, you are in the red -no reinforcements for you until you are back into the green!

Probably been covered all this - so sorry in advance

Don Bowen -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/30/2008 4:54:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

Hi
The AE threads are getting pretty big, and I have not really followed them too much -I already am going to get it! -a quick question on Political points
I understand that not returning a ship will be expensive.
But what is to stop a person just going into the political points red -and then deciding -well -Ill never get back into the green -Ill just never return anything now.
Tabpub against me nhas never returned a single ship as far as I can tell -and in game terms it has'nt hurt too much.

Would it make more sense to say -well, you are in the red -no reinforcements for you until you are back into the green!

Probably been covered all this - so sorry in advance

If you run out of Political Points in AE, you will be screwed. The politicians will not let you do anything! They won't let go of land or air units, won't allow you to change commanders, and other things that don't pop to mind right now.

That's what political points are for.

Feinder -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/30/2008 5:24:37 AM)

speaking of returning ships...

Is the frequency of return of British ships going to be toned down a bit...?  Especially the destroyers?

Son of Jorg -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/30/2008 5:25:42 AM)

This may have been asked already as well, but search did not turn up anything.

I was just wondering if there would be combat statistics for ship captains and ships themselves? I'm kind of a stat freak, and I'd like to follow the history of ships as they progess through the war. For instance, how many ships a particular sub sank, how many torpedoes fired in combat over its career, how many hits, etc etc. Same with surface units: number of surface engagments, number and type of shells fired, number of hits, hits taken, etc. etc.

I'm not sure if this is even doable, but I think it would add to the depth of the game. I know that in WWII there were running tallys of tonnage sunk by submarine captains and ships.

A minor thing I know, but it looks like most important questions have already been asked. [:)]

Don Bowen -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/30/2008 5:45:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

speaking of returning ships...

Is the frequency of return of British ships going to be toned down a bit...?  Especially the destroyers?

The entire process is changed. Ship withdrawal applies to all allied ships and both withdrawal and return can be set in the editor.

Don Bowen -> RE: Admiral's Edition Naval Thread (1/30/2008 5:47:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son of Jorg

This may have been asked already as well, but search did not turn up anything.

I was just wondering if there would be combat statistics for ship captains and ships themselves? I'm kind of a stat freak, and I'd like to follow the history of ships as they progess through the war. For instance, how many ships a particular sub sank, how many torpedoes fired in combat over its career, how many hits, etc etc. Same with surface units: number of surface engagments, number and type of shells fired, number of hits, hits taken, etc. etc.

I'm not sure if this is even doable, but I think it would add to the depth of the game. I know that in WWII there were running tallys of tonnage sunk by submarine captains and ships.

A minor thing I know, but it looks like most important questions have already been asked. [:)]

No, there is no place to store the data. Trying to add such a data structure would have a significant and adverse affect on save game size and turn resolution speed.

Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI