Basic noob help (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

HansBolter -> Basic noob help (2/13/2008 5:45:01 PM)

The introduction section of the manual alludes to the fact that the player can relinquish control of given areas to the computer to allow them to focus on a particular command.

The production system explaination states that it can be either "on" or "off".

Since I am just getting started and am a bit overwhelmed with the sheer magnitude of tasks to be performed in a given turn (have a bit of UV experience) I would like to be able to take advantage of these options.

I cannot seem to find the controls for these options. I find nothing in either the Realism Options, the Game Options or the Preferences menu. Nor do I find any explaination in the manual of how or where within the game interface to implement these options.

Please help a noob.

Thanks

farticus -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 5:58:20 PM)

production is scenario dependent and you'll find the cpu zone controls in the icon bar at the top of the screen once in game, it opens the main map which is separated into zones.

treespider -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 6:13:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The introduction section of the manual alludes to the fact that the player can relinquish control of given areas to the computer to allow them to focus on a particular command.

The production system explaination states that it can be either "on" or "off".

Since I am just getting started and am a bit overwhelmed with the sheer magnitude of tasks to be performed in a given turn (have a bit of UV experience) I would like to be able to take advantage of these options.

DO NOT!!!

quote:

I cannot seem to find the controls for these options. I find nothing in either the Realism Options, the Game Options or the Preferences menu. Nor do I find any explaination in the manual of how or where within the game interface to implement these options.

Please help a noob.

Thanks

IIRC the Production is set in the Scenario Design Editor.

Computer Control of areas is set from within the game

BUT you've been warned DO NOT do it. You will lose control of units that you thought you had control of...

bradfordkay -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 6:54:57 PM)

The computer is like a politician: you give him a little control and he starts taking more and more control. far beyond what you told him he could have in the beginning...

Instead, start out with some of the smaller scenarios to learn the system, then tackle the big ones with no regions under computer control. You will enjoy the game a lot more if you do it this way.

DaveB -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 7:33:45 PM)

...but if you DO want to hand areas over (I did this, and it didn't hurt)....
as explained, the menu bar at the top gives you access to a map split into regions, each region can be individually set to human or computer control. I found this a good way to learn personally - I turned China and the far north and north east over to the PC, whilst running (approx) India, DEI, Philippines, Oz and the 'main' parts of the Pacific. Playing as allied up to early '43 or so got the game mechanics pretty well sorted for me whilst allowing me to play all the carrier stuff, and the bits I was most interested in - defending as best I could until able to start pushing back.

Later games I turned all areas onto my control, refought a few years until around mid 43... by which point I was pretty well retaking areas without too much trouble.... and then I swapped to playing Japanese so I could get to grips with all this production stuff.

To me this has been a good way to learn a lot about the game, and of course a great deal about typing stuff into Excel, and devising write n' wipe systems... after all, if it all goes wrong you just restart.... I've not finished a game yet, and I'm enjoying myself immensely.

Dave

HansBolter -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 8:20:17 PM)

Thanks for the heads up guys and the advice.

The main things I found overwhelming about starting the full campaign was identifying supply souces within regions to know where to get supply convoys started running from. Couple that with a need to spend an interminable amount of time identifying production centers and then locating sources of oil and raw materials to be able to get convoys set up for those and it quickly starts to seem like and endless game of convoy allocation.

I realize that just as in UV the first turn requires a lot more "set up" time than following turns, but it started to seem like it would be several hours before I could actully get to watch a resolution phase.

Do the scenario descriptions clearly identify which scenarios have production turned off?

DaveB, your approach sounds just like what I am hoping to do by taking over tasks incrementally.

Andy Mac -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 8:44:31 PM)

An allied turn 1 takes me about 3 hours to do properly after that its about 20 minutes unless I have a major op to plan or load.

Andy

Gem35 -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 9:05:41 PM)

If you are playing as Allies you won't need to worry too much about supplies, they come from The West Coast of U.S. and from Karachi. Production is automatic, you could ferry about some oil if you wish but thats about it.

Japan has the more "hands on" control of production.

DaveB -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 10:00:29 PM)

Andy and Gem are both spot on as far as my own experience goes -

The first turn takes hours to set up, to optimise your response to the PH attack, further turns are often 'same as yesterday with a few tweaks' and take 20 mins. I've saved a 'first turn' as Allied and as Jap, so future games I can get into the play quickly without having to do all the same stuff over again. (This will still take an hour, as every restart will involve a slight ideas change in some area....but it won't take 3 hours as much of the job is pretty obvious).

Playing as the Allied player v AI is much easier than playing as the Jap v AI. As allied you have a year or so of being pushed around while you build forces up, but that's split into a couple of months where you are definitely fighting rearguard actions and getting your act together then the next few months gradually getting onto an even standing and beginning to push back. Apart from ensuring you have convoys running supply and fuel into areas you want to use as main bases your supply problems are really minor....

Run big convoys from the US West coast and Karachi to major bases like Pearl, Brisbane and so forth, smaller convoys from these bases then keep your forward operating bases supplied, and feed troops into theatre to build up garrisons (to withstand assault) and base facilities (engineer troops to expand airfields, ports, forts) and the US supply job is pretty much sorted. As the Jap you need to strip resources and oil from conquered territory etc and feed it into your economy, plus balance armaments v aircraft and so forth, and there's a lot more Excel work and juggling to do AS WELL AS actually putting troops into the next hex to expand the empire.

You learn a lot by simply doing, and learning by mistake - in my view you learn 10x faster (at least) by losing offensive air (for example) due to lack of supply the first time it happens than you do by reading any manual... the "manual support" you get here is fantastic frankly, ask why your minesweeper only has vanilla ice cream on Tuesdays and somebody will post a menu for the 38th MSF Flotilla for Dec 1944 along with a schematic for the ice cream machine fitted to that model of minesweeper. So make mistakes, ask here why X, Y or Z happened if you can't figure it out by reading existing threads (or, in extremis, the manual), and play a few game years to learn the ropes before starting a fresh 'this time for real' game.

Don't be afraid to restart - after a short while you will probably be tempted to try some mods like CHS or Big B, or to at least turn the air to air slaughter down via Nikmod, or to use one of the extended maps that adds places like Aden.... it's a great game, and there are some really good mods around to improve it further. We all learn in different ways, you'll enjoy learning and you'll probably get sucked into becoming a complete geek on WW2 Pacific ops. (Assuming that warning isn't too late <g>). I understand that WW2 Pacific ops geeks get sucked into Witp oddly enough....

CallMeFrank -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 10:40:40 PM)

Being a green beginner with WitP I struggle still with the problem that making turns takes very long and I am hunted by the question: did I miss something important? "Wasting" many hours of gameplay to a wrong decision some turns ago is quite discouraging.
But now I just started with the mindset, that all the mistakes I make add to the realism of the game. That makes well up for the superior knowledge I have about the historical course of events and replacement schedules.

Charbroiled -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 10:58:14 PM)

quote:

If you have any regions under computer control, be very watchful of your TFs. If you don't, you may see a TF suddenly heading somewhere it shouldn't be going, because the computer decided that the TF "belongs" to the region under computer control.

quote:

I am hunted by the question: did I miss something important?

Even though WITP is a monster game, in some cases, you can "miss something" and not be hurt too much (unless it is in an area where you are engaged with the enemy). When I don't have much time to do my turns, I sometimes find myself focusing on the areas where there is or may be conflict, and will not even look at my "backfield". Of course, you don't want to let too many turns go by while doing this.

HansBolter -> RE: Basic noob help (2/13/2008 11:24:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveB

you'll probably get sucked into becoming a complete geek on WW2 Pacific ops. (Assuming that warning isn't too late <g>). I understand that WW2 Pacific ops geeks get sucked into Witp oddly enough....

As can probably be guessed by my moniker, avatar and posting history here I am "mostly" a ground warfare "tank" geek, but I have enjoyed a few Pacific games through the years such as the old board games Victory in the Pacific, Flat Top and Pacific Theater of Operations and the GNB computer game series.

I'm a gamer who got started in the 70s on old AH board games and was a playtester for Advanced Third Reich. I'm still committed to beta testing for Panther Games on the upcoming Battles from the Bulge so I only have limited time available for getting sucked into the Pacific, while aleady juggling three UV PBEM games. [:D]

Alfred -> RE: Basic noob help (2/14/2008 3:26:01 AM)

Only 3 hours to do Allied turn 1!!  I'd be lucky to take only that long to finish with one of the Allied commands (well maybe Canada and NZ together might be finalized in 3 hours).

Alfred

DaveB -> RE: Basic noob help (2/14/2008 4:54:22 PM)

Shhh...
...don't frighten him off....

AcePylut -> RE: Basic noob help (2/14/2008 6:43:27 PM)

Well I've probably got about 10-12 hours sunk into a Jap first turn. Almost done with it, all I have to do is get the production set like I want it.

HansBolter -> RE: Basic noob help (2/14/2008 6:50:55 PM)

A minimum of 3 freaking hours before I get to see any action............this is really gonna try my nonexistent patience.

As it is I already find myself streamlining my orders and overlooking important tasks in UV because I am so impatient to get to the next resolution phase. [:D]

Actually I started with a histotical first turn so I would get to see some action at the start. Then after about 45 minutes of wading through one base after another to assess what to do with the assets located at each I saved my progress and went back to my next turns in my current UV PBEM games. [>:]

bradfordkay -> RE: Basic noob help (2/14/2008 6:58:16 PM)

" A minimum of 3 freaking hours before I get to see any action............this is really gonna try my nonexistent patience. "

WITP is not the game for those who demand instant gratification. It is highly rewarding, however, to those who have the patience to play it. I find that if you rush through things, you're not likely to be happy with the results, but if you take the time to double check matters the game is quite engrossing...

Gem35 -> RE: Basic noob help (2/14/2008 7:04:10 PM)

After the first few months of the war things will start to take shape and game-play will be much more enjoyable. As long as you take your time and think carefully about your strategy during this time you will be rewarded later on when the game "settles" in so to speak. Game turns won't be taking 45 minutes to an hour after a while, they will be about 5-10 minutes.
Get past the iniitial onslaught by the Japs and things will settle down and you can be rest assured of a rewarding and fantastic game experience.
Take your time, fill your fridge up with your favorite beverage and keep a list of your local pizza delivery establishments close by.
Have fun and enjoy a truly great game.

HansBolter -> RE: Basic noob help (2/14/2008 8:11:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

" A minimum of 3 freaking hours before I get to see any action............this is really gonna try my nonexistent patience. "

WITP is not the game for those who demand instant gratification. It is highly rewarding, however, to those who have the patience to play it. I find that if you rush through things, you're not likely to be happy with the results, but if you take the time to double check matters the game is quite engrossing...

Come now. Take a hard look at what you typed and fess up to the fact that it was far more derogatory than I deserved. After all, I AM a 34+ year ultaragrognard who was a playtester for Advanced Third Reich and have mega experience with mega games like Fire in the East/Scorched Earth. I am NOT some snotty nosed teen ager with a preference for first person shooter instant gratification. [8|] You may not have gleaned that I was engaging in some tongue and cheek facetituousness.

p.s. What I did learn was that a weekday evening coming home already mentally tired from a day at work was not a good choice for a first turn. A first turn will be better done on a Saturday morning fresh from a night's sleep with a fresh pot of coffee and all day to devote my attention to it.

panda124c -> RE: Basic noob help (2/14/2008 8:38:56 PM)

quote:

quote:

Come now. Take a hard look at what you typed and fess up to the fact that it was far more derogatory than I deserved. After all, I AM a 34+ year ultaragrognard who was a playtester for Advanced Third Reich and have mega experience with mega games like Fire in the East/Scorched Earth. I am NOT some snotty nosed teen ager with a preference for first person shooter instant gratification. [8|] You may not have gleaned that I was engaging in some tongue and cheek facetituousness.

p.s. What I did learn was that a weekday evening coming home already mentally tired from a day at work was not a good choice for a first turn. A first turn will be better done on a Saturday morning fresh from a night's sleep with a fresh pot of coffee and all day to devote my attention to it.

[:D][:D] Just think how Nimtiz felt when they handed him the entire WITP, oops sorry Pacific Theater. He had a staff of hundreds, all you have to do is the same thing...alone. [:D][:D]

Enjoy

Alfred -> RE: Basic noob help (2/15/2008 3:52:45 AM)

Well Nimitz might have had a staff of hundreds but he didn't have a computer to run all the housekeeping tasks as we do.

Alfred

ny59giants -> RE: Basic noob help (2/15/2008 5:34:27 AM)

You will also want to decrease the time of various combat resolutions. Hit the "P" button when you have the game open and decrease the time for a2a combat and for land combat. If not, when the AI runs the turn for both sides, it could take you over 1 hour just to go through it. You may want to experiment on the settings as you play the game, but with combat animations on with computer settings, an a2a battle could be longer than a cup of coffee to drink. [:D]

The first turn will take from 3 hours to 1/2 day. I've played the Allies only to date and my first turn is an all day affair as I go through each base and make changes. There are a lot of TF to make up (usually I have over 300 before the turn is done). [;)]   It is best to play a few shorter (not full map) scenario before taking the leap into the full campaign game to get use to game mechanics.

Mynok -> RE: Basic noob help (2/15/2008 5:36:36 AM)

But it's worth it! An ole grognard like Hans should be fine. [:)]

bradfordkay -> RE: Basic noob help (2/15/2008 6:48:31 AM)

quote:

quote:

My apologies... it wasn't meant to be derogatory, but rather an observation as to what you can expect from WITP. If a person comes in here expecting that they can start up the game and process a month of turns in a day, they are not going to get the most out of this game. If you will reread your own post to which mine was a reply, you will notice several comments about wanting to take less time in making your turns. I was just trying to help you adjust your expectations so as to be able to fully enjoy this masterpiece...

Truce?

HansBolter -> RE: Basic noob help (2/15/2008 2:18:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

But it's worth it! An ole grognard like Hans should be fine. [:)]

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

HansBolter -> RE: Basic noob help (2/15/2008 2:20:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

My apologies... it wasn't meant to be derogatory, but rather an observation as to what you can expect from WITP. If a person comes in here expecting that they can start up the game and process a month of turns in a day, they are not going to get the most out of this game. If you will reread your own post to which mine was a reply, you will notice several comments about wanting to take less time in making your turns. I was just trying to help you adjust your expectations so as to be able to fully enjoy this masterpiece...

Truce?

I was being a bit facetitious there, both in my post you responded to and in my response to yours. No offense taken, none intended. My attempts at humor often go awry. [:(]

I am currently playing a team board game that usually takes a side about 2 hours to complete their turn. Sitting and watching your opponents push pieces of cardboard around while BSing about war history for two hours forces patience upon even those of us who have a short supply of it.

hgilmer -> RE: Basic noob help (2/16/2008 8:13:27 AM)

Holy Smolies.  I have had the game for awhile and have decided to actually delve into it finally.  I don't think I spent three hours on my first turn (I'm playing allies).  I think it was 2 hours.  I was going to come here and ask for or look for a checklist on the 1st turn. 

Things I did were things that mirrored what I used to do in Pacwar after the 1st turn.  1. Get the damaged BBs out of the way on at a nearby base, 2. start moving ground forces to PH from the West Coast., 3. Get ships and airplanes out of the way of the Japanese.  I didn't go through every single base, though and am thinking I probably missed stuff.

HansBolter -> RE: Basic noob help (2/18/2008 2:03:01 PM)

Success!

I'm happy to report that I managed to wade through a first turn effort and had arrived at December 13, 1941 by Sunday evening.

Gem35 -> RE: Basic noob help (2/19/2008 3:20:05 AM)

Wow, congrats!![;)]

HansBolter -> RE: Basic noob help (2/19/2008 2:02:40 PM)

I'm seriously hooked now.

After work I did my turns in three different UV PBEM games and then instead of switching to my solitaire UV game I went directly to WitP to get two more turns done. [:D]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI