Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Don Bowen -> Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 10:52:03 PM)

Patrol zones can be created for both submarine and surface task forces. Patrol zones are created in one of two ways:

1. Clicking on the map to designate the patrol zone boundaries, or
2. Using a short cut to click a single base or sea hex and having the AI assign patrol boundaries around that hex.

Option #1 is illustrated below.

First - Submarine Triton, on station south of Wake. It is December 7th and the sub does not have a patrol zone set.

[image]local://upfiles/757/A3FE99CFDF5A4295BC29F4FAB1EA8C88.jpg[/image]

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 10:54:00 PM)

A patrol zone is set south of Wake. This was done by clicking on hexes for Patrol Boundaries 1 and 2. A third is available but was not used.

[image]local://upfiles/757/C54C84532AC4497EB30CD91DC7CC7E9D.jpg[/image]

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 10:55:26 PM)

The patrol zones are set and Triton is moving toward her patrol area. The patrol zone boundaries are outlined in green.

[image]local://upfiles/757/A9EDD6DCCC2D48E48B5E855BBE80EB68.jpg[/image]

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 10:58:00 PM)

A day has passed and Triton has reached the first patrol zone boundary. Since the linger option was set (at one day) she will remain here until the 9th, then move toward the next patrol zone boundary.

Triton will continue to patrol this zone until her orders are changed, she runs low on fuel or ammo, or is damaged. If she has to leave her patrol zone to refuel, she will automatically return once refueled.

[image]local://upfiles/757/0DD1D14D4CD14711BABA302019763C8B.jpg[/image]

Mike Solli -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 11:03:48 PM)

That's great, Don. 

What's the definition of "damaged"?

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 11:11:05 PM)

A good level of damage - not just a systems damage point or two. But subs won't hang around once they get too much damage - it's a long way home.

GaryChildress -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 11:14:19 PM)

Beyond cool! [&o]

JWE -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 11:14:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli
That's great, Don. 

Same as it ever was. Sys, Eng, Flot Damage.

The patrol option is available for other TFs as well. You can have a replenishment TF patrol in a BIG circle (or back & forth along a line) a couple hundred nm or so from a CV TF that's patrolling in a circle (or along a line) for sushi. Or maybe a Surface TF patrolling on a screen line in front of a CV TF, ... you get the idea.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 11:26:06 PM)

That will be a fantastic feature.  Now everyone can be as good as Speedy with subs. [:D]

Mike Solli -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/20/2008 11:48:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli
That's great, Don. 

Same as it ever was. Sys, Eng, Flot Damage.

The patrol option is available for other TFs as well. You can have a replenishment TF patrol in a BIG circle (or back & forth along a line) a couple hundred nm or so from a CV TF that's patrolling in a circle (or along a line) for sushi. Or maybe a Surface TF patrolling on a screen line in front of a CV TF, ... you get the idea.

I guess I was unclear. I was referring to Don's comment about subs automatically heading home when they are damaged. I was curious if there was a threshold for the amount of damage they need to automatically head for home.

Sardaukar -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 12:19:01 AM)

I throw a wild guess that they head home when their damage gets "orange"..aka 10 sys dmg or more.

Shark7 -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 12:58:04 AM)

What I like is being able to set a range of zones, instead of just 1...plus the fact that it refuels and returns on its own. You can get away with micromanaging just 1 turn instead of every turn. BIG improvement.

mark24 -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 11:41:03 AM)

Hi Don,

Is it possible to create a patrol zone, then assign multiple subs to it?

Will subs refuel then return to the patrol zone?

If so, this would really make sub management easy. Zones could be set for the entire war, & all it takes a player to do is assign new subs to them as they become available.

Mark

Akos Gergely -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 12:07:55 PM)

Extremely cool!!! This will take off a lot of MM every turn and will make subs much more effective.

AE looks to be the real dream game :D

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 4:12:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark24

Hi Don,

If so, this would really make sub management easy. Zones could be set for the entire war, & all it takes a player to do is assign new subs to them as they become available.

Mark

No, each TF has a patrol zone. You could turn on auto-sub ops and let the computer due it for you. And, yes, computer generated sub patrols use patrol zones.

Monter_Trismegistos -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 8:06:50 PM)

Is it possible for subs to automatically cancel patrol zone when returned to port? As I understand submarine by default will return to previous patrol zone (which I want to avoid).

John Lansford -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 8:18:49 PM)

Being able to set patrol zones and then leave the sub to do its thing without having to constantly check each and every one of them will greatly speed up a turn.  This is excellent news!  I'm probably spending half my time per turn right now checking subs for damage/out of ammo, moving them a few hexes, and routing them to new spots.

BTW niceguy2005, I like your artwork a LOT.  Who is the lovely young lady?

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 8:54:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monter_Trismegistos

Is it possible for subs to automatically cancel patrol zone when returned to port? As I understand submarine by default will return to previous patrol zone (which I want to avoid).

No, unless damaged, a sub will refuel and return to patrol zone.

pad152 -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 9:13:50 PM)

This looks good and very useful for Anti_sub TF ops too.

Question, can mine layer use this, to go to way point drop mines, reload and return?

rockmedic109 -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 10:56:01 PM)

Subs will return to base, refuel and then return to patrol area?  Nice featue, but what about normal operational Sys Damage?  Will they return when Sys damage is repaired?  Will they continue to return to patrol area till Sys damage reaches a certain level?

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 11:17:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

This looks good and very useful for Anti_sub TF ops too.

Question, can mine layer use this, to go to way point drop mines, reload and return?

Well, it wasn't intended that way but I haven't actually tried. Since it is patrol, I do not think they would auto-return unless low of fuel. But then again, laying all the mines might raise the "out of ammo" condition.

If it does, it's an easter egg. If not - I guess it really shouldn't...

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/21/2008 11:21:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Subs will return to base, refuel and then return to patrol area?  Nice featue, but what about normal operational Sys Damage?  Will they return when Sys damage is repaired?  Will they continue to return to patrol area till Sys damage reaches a certain level?

Very specifically folks. If a sub leaves it's patrol zone and returns to home port, it will be checked for damage.

There are two levels of damage:
1. If ON patrol, sub will leave the patrol zone if it reaches this level. "Medium" damage.
2. If sub has returned to port and refueled, it will NOT return to patrol zone if damage is over this level. Much lower level, repair it now while in port.

If a submarine TF is disbanded due to damage, the TF goes away. Patrol zones are an attribute of the Task Force, so they go away.

When the sub is repaired, the player can form it into another TF and manually set a new Patrol Zone. Or, if auto-sub ops is on, the computer will do it.

Don

mlees -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/22/2008 12:11:06 AM)

I guess I'm the only one around here who actually likes micromanaging his subs... heh.

jwilkerson -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/22/2008 2:07:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

I guess I'm the only one around here who actually likes micromanaging his subs... heh.

Micromanaging is great - but have you NEVER forgotten to move at least one sub on at least one turn!?
:)

Most of the subs I lose are when I forget to move them.

Shark7 -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/22/2008 2:49:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark24

Hi Don,

Mark

No, each TF has a patrol zone. You could turn on auto-sub ops and let the computer due it for you. And, yes, computer generated sub patrols use patrol zones.

This is what I usually do now, let the computer take care of it. The problem with it is that when you do want a subminlayer or transport, the computer has set them ALL on patrol, and you have to go micro-manage anyway to get the ones you need for the other missions.

Catch 22, don't use the computer control and you micromanage...do use it and you still micromanage. [8|]

FeurerKrieg -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/22/2008 3:16:46 AM)

Probably too much to ask for, but I would love if those thresholds were player definable (you pick the sys damage numbers for #1 and #2 that Don mentioned) in game. Even if not by task force, just on a macro level it would be nice.

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/22/2008 4:38:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

[This is what I usually do now, let the computer take care of it. The problem with it is that when you do want a subminlayer or transport, the computer has set them ALL on patrol, and you have to go micro-manage anyway to get the ones you need for the other missions.

Catch 22, don't use the computer control and you micromanage...do use it and you still micromanage. [8|]

But we now have a specific type of submarine transport, which eases things a bit. Thought about a type for submarine minelayers (SSM) but so few in the Pacific that it was not worth while.

Don Bowen -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/22/2008 4:38:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

Probably too much to ask for, but I would love if those thresholds were player definable (you pick the sys damage numbers for #1 and #2 that Don mentioned) in game. Even if not by task force, just on a macro level it would be nice.

Yes Sir, I agree.

bradfordkay -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/22/2008 6:08:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

Micromanaging is great - but have you NEVER forgotten to move at least one sub on at least one turn!?
:)

Most of the subs I lose are when I forget to move them.

I have finally forced myself to take care of this in PBEM by going through the Operations Reports item by item and moving every sub that has been sighted. My sub losses have dropped tremendously as a result of this effort.

I now fear that my opponent's sub losses are going to start to drop...[:(]

Mike Solli -> RE: Creating a Submarine Patrol Zone (2/22/2008 2:00:17 PM)

quote:

You and Speedy. [8|]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI