Favorite Matrix Game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

ilovestrategy -> Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 5:58:57 AM)

I've noticed that Matrix has a pretty big library of games. I was just wondering, which is your favorite? Not best, favorite.
Mine is Gary Grigsby's World at War. I know it's just a beer and pretzels game that you can beat in 2 hours but something about it keeps me coming back...

PunkReaper -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 6:21:52 AM)

My favourate is going to be the new medieval game that Erik has almost promised [;)]

panzers -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 7:09:11 AM)

Just waiting for the mother of all wargames now due in December: World In Flames. When that thing comes out, there will be no other because that is all I am going to play for several yearsFor now CEAW is keeping me occupied.

ravinhood -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 7:20:43 AM)

They haven't made it yet. ;)

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 7:25:38 AM)

witp

marcusm -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 12:55:24 PM)

TOAW3 then Advanced Tactics. I would probably have bought many more if it hadn't been for their "no demo/trial" policy.
Thanks to SoM I got to try out UV as well, pretty good.

I buy what I know is good :).

Ironically the biggest reason I started following matrixgames was their not yet
released Combined Arms. Hope it gets done before I die.

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 5:58:47 PM)

I think that it'd be better to rank the Matrix titles by developer:

1) Panther Games for best game engine

2) Simtek for keeping Close Combat alive

3) Koios for attempting to fill the void (partially) left by Battlefront

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

JeF -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 6:10:03 PM)

Highway To The Reich.

'nough said.

JeF.

cdbeck -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 6:12:49 PM)

Advanced Tactics

Technically, you HAVE to have a favorite Matrix game - if you have played any at all - even if you don't like the game at all, then it is your favorite Matrix game if you prefer it above others. Don't blame me, blame the english language and the definition of preference. [:'(]

So stop being coy, picking games not made, or theoretical "perfect games" and answer the man's question. He said, "not best, favorite."

BTW, RH's perfect game would be: a TBS game with real-time elements that would be pausible and slow-paced (like TC:Man), featuring a challenging AI that forces you to kill every last man before it capitulates (no "warlord" bosses), allows for teching up and grand strategy - but only on the TBS grand strategy portion  - and can't be anything like CotA. Whew... [;)]

SoM

Kuokkanen -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 6:31:34 PM)

SPWAW, favorite and best [:)]

... from Matrix that is. [;)]

Banquet -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 6:50:42 PM)

Always used to be SPWAW for me, but now probably Advanced Tactics or Conquest of the Aegean.. I can't separate the two in terms of a favourite.

Grell -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 6:51:13 PM)

My favourite is Gary Grigsby's World at War A World Divided.

Regards,

Grell

JMass -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 6:52:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

TOAW3 then Advanced Tactics.

The same. [;)]

quote:

Ironically the biggest reason I started following matrixgames was their not yet
released Combined Arms. Hope it gets done before I die.

[&o]

PunkReaper -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 7:44:18 PM)

Are there any turn based ancient or medieval war games available where you can edit or randomise the battles that anyone can recommend? Especially if they have a hot seat mode.

andym -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 8:36:42 PM)

Tillers Campaign series for me.

bradfordkay -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 9:46:14 PM)

War In The Pacific, of course!

mikul82 -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/2/2008 11:55:31 PM)

I think the Campaign Series holds as my favorite wargame set, just because it was the original ones (West Front, East Front II, Rising Sun when they were under Talonsoft) that got me into "hardcore" PC wargaming to begin with, and I love them just as much to this day.  Steel Panthers is way up there as well, I played the hell out of WaW as a free download, then bought it later on with the MegaCampaigns and still play it like crazy now, eyestrain be damned, along with the Campaign Series games.  TOAW should get an honorable mention as well although I've never gotten into it like the others above- I was a big fan of Talonsoft!

For games that I'd never played/heard of until finding Matrixgames.com, I'll probably have to go with Gates of Troy.  I also really enjoyed the "Case Blue" expansion for IL-2 back when I used to play that one quite a bit.

Widell -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 12:28:30 AM)

TOAW - It's been on my hardrive(s) year in and year out, version after version.

Up and coming are ACW and AT, and then the Panther Games must be mentioned. Also don't forget WitP, SPWAW and Harpoon...... [&o]

USSAmerica -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 1:18:27 AM)

Hands down.  War in the Pacific! [sm=00000436.gif]

Deathtreader -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 1:39:38 AM)

Conquest of the Aegean & Warplan Orange are tied for 1st place for me.... [&o][&o]

Rob.

Hertston -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 2:29:26 AM)

My favourite would probably be Tin Soldiers, although I haven't played them in a while (most played Matrix game at the mo is Advanced Tactics). Just a pity they didn't sell better so Koios could have done a few more.

Gem35 -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 4:08:30 AM)

Hands down,Without a doubt, easy peasy japaneasy,
War in the Pacific -The Struggle Against Japan.

panzers -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 6:01:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Advanced Tactics

Technically, you HAVE to have a favorite Matrix game - if you have played any at all - even if you don't like the game at all, then it is your favorite Matrix game if you prefer it above others. Don't blame me, blame the english language and the definition of preference. [:'(]

So stop being coy, picking games not made, or theoretical "perfect games" and answer the man's question. He said, "not best, favorite."

BTW, RH's perfect game would be: a TBS game with real-time elements that would be pausible and slow-paced (like TC:Man), featuring a challenging AI that forces you to kill every last man before it capitulates (no "warlord" bosses), allows for teching up and grand strategy - but only on the TBS grand strategy portion  - and can't be anything like CotA. Whew... [;)]
Dude, relax. I was just making a comment. Was that really necessary? I did say that I'm playing CEAW.
I have several Matrix games, so I thought I made it pretty clear what my current favorite is.

SoM

panzers -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 6:03:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Always used to be SPWAW for me, but now probably Advanced Tactics or Conquest of the Aegean.. I can't separate the two in terms of a favourite.

Have that game but don't understand how to play it. No tutorial to help me out

Gem35 -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 6:15:49 AM)

AYBABTU

bradfordkay -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 7:16:58 AM)

[&:]

ravinhood -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 11:14:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Advanced Tactics

BTW, RH's perfect game would be: a TBS game with real-time elements that would be pausible and slow-paced (like TC:Man), featuring a challenging AI that forces you to kill every last man before it capitulates (no "warlord" bosses), allows for teching up and grand strategy - but only on the TBS grand strategy portion - and can't be anything like CotA. Whew... [;)]

SoM

Wow if Matrixgames made that game it would be my favorite and bestest game of all time SOM. ;) But, like I said, they haven't made it yet. ;)
You left out one very important thing though, actually two: Must have random generated maps and random generated forces. ;)

LarryP -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 5:24:51 PM)

Gary Grigsby's World Divided for now. [;)]

marcusm -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 7:38:02 PM)

Ravinhoods favourite game is "refresh the general discussion" game ;).

j/k.

bostonrpgmania -> RE: Favorite Matrix Game (3/3/2008 8:01:32 PM)

Korson Pocket or BiN

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI