Steel Panthers and Vista (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

pbeccas -> Steel Panthers and Vista (3/26/2008 12:54:03 AM)

Hi all

I have only just discovered Matrix do Steel Panthers, my favourite wargame of all time.

Question is, will the game run on MS Vista? Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Paul

Goblin -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (3/26/2008 1:10:02 AM)

It seems to - judging from the few guys that have Vista and have posted. Dunno what type of tweaking is required.

Goblin

Goblin -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (3/26/2008 1:11:39 AM)

pbeccas -

Try this thread at the Depot -

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13370

Goblin

pbeccas -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (3/27/2008 2:44:51 AM)

Thanks mate. I will have a look

lynxcat -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/6/2008 6:11:09 AM)

Well I just installed SPWAW on my new computer with Vista and the graphics are totally AFU! [:@]Anyway, came here to see if anyone had any ideas on how to fix it to work with Vista.

parusski -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/6/2008 12:53:56 PM)

The problem is most likely with your system resources. How much RAM do you have? Do you have onboard video or do you a video card? If you have a video card, what kind is it and how much memory does it have. Vista needs a huge amount of RAM and a pretty high end video card.

Alby -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/6/2008 4:30:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lynxcat

Well I just installed SPWAW on my new computer with Vista and the graphics are totally AFU! [:@]Anyway, came here to see if anyone had any ideas on how to fix it to work with Vista.

Try this thread

http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13370

lynxcat -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/7/2008 8:18:27 AM)

It's not a problem with ram, I've got 3 gig on this new desktop.... Has to be some kind of compatibility problem with the video drivers or card. I used to have a laptop with Windows XP and it was short memory but SPWAW would run, just slow some and would lock-up sometimes.

Korpraali V -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/7/2008 9:40:38 AM)

Have you tried to make it run in XP mode in mech.exe settings?

Alby -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/7/2008 5:26:50 PM)

Try these suggestions

COMPATIBILITY MODE SET TO WIN XP
Make sure your Compatability Mode (right click on the mech.exe in your SPWAW folder).  is also set for 800x600 resolution.

DISABLE DESKTOP COMPOSITION
make sure your DirectX and video card drivers are up to date even on a new system

dutchiexx -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/8/2008 3:29:36 PM)

They work 100% on my Vista laptop! [:D]
quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

Try these suggestions

COMPATIBILITY MODE SET TO WIN XP
Make sure your Compatability Mode (right click on the mech.exe in your SPWAW folder).  is also set for 800x600 resolution.

DISABLE DESKTOP COMPOSITION
make sure your DirectX and video card drivers are up to date even on a new system

V22 Osprey -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/10/2008 12:21:30 AM)

.It plays fine on my laptop fine too!

lynxcat -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/11/2008 4:54:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

.It plays fine on my laptop fine too!

Ok Well it looks like Vista works for everyone but me! It must be a video problem then.... Does anyone know anything about Acer Desktops and monitors? [&:]

V22 Osprey -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/11/2008 5:12:48 AM)

Dude,I have no idea wat acer is.

V22 Osprey -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/11/2008 5:26:10 AM)

Oh know wonder I dot know...it's a european thing.

Arctic Blast -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/11/2008 7:32:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

Oh know wonder I dot know...it's a european thing.

Actually, Acer's a fairly popular monitor producer here in North America, too.

V22 Osprey -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/11/2008 4:44:56 PM)

Yea,maybe in CANADA but not out here in the US.I think I may have seen a 1 acer monitor out here.

JEB Davis -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/12/2008 6:45:53 AM)

I'm using an Acer laptop right now, and I'm not in Canada or Europe, NZ.

Krec -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/12/2008 7:14:52 AM)

its runs ,  but be sure to launch game from the mech file.

azraelck -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/21/2008 5:14:39 AM)

I ship a LOT of Acer laptops and monitors out to US addresses (I don't typically deal with International really), so it's fairly common; but a lower end product on the market.

I wish I could help you, but I don't even have a Vista comp to check out. My bro's ex-gf has one, and I optimized it as best I could (freed up about 15% of her RAM), but it's still a slow POS that won't work with much if anything that used to work in XP.  

Orzel Bialy -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/21/2008 7:17:47 AM)

I am running Vista (service pack 1)on my Gateway PC and can play SPWaW without any issues. [&:]

I have an ATI 256mb graphics card running the Catalyst Driver set...and have not had any need to do a driver roll-back to get SPWaW or any of my older games that I play via DosBox to run either. Must be lucky I guess. [;)]

As for the SPWaW mech setup...I attached a GIF of how it is set up for my system.(know that won't help everyone due to varying manufactures...but I figured what the Hell.)

[image]local://upfiles/6125/E88F202A422F4DC4B7A3F93377588684.gif[/image]

azraelck -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/21/2008 7:40:34 AM)

It might be my bro's ex's comp is just too much a POS to run anything regardless of OS. It only has 512mb of Ram, shared vid memory. I have an extra 2gb sitting on my desk, but that's what starting drama gets you in my world; no more freebies from me. 

Arctic Blast -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (4/21/2008 8:13:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: azraelck

It might be my bro's ex's comp is just too much a POS to run anything regardless of OS. It only has 512mb of Ram, shared vid memory. I have an extra 2gb sitting on my desk, but that's what starting drama gets you in my world; no more freebies from me.

Good grief! 512 mb if Ram and he's running Vista on that? Good luck getting ANYTHING to run well.

garthc -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (5/13/2008 10:12:47 AM)

Have used (and enjoyed) various versions of SP since it first came out in the 90s but, after a couple of years away, am having difficulties with the latest version and Vista.  Hope some of the experts on the thread can help me.  I have just (12th may 2008) downloaded SPWAW (onto a Dell XPS720 [Dec 2007], 4 Gb RAM, NVidea GeForce 8800 Ultra video card, Vista Ultimate) and can get the game through the menu in All Programs SPWAWGen Edn folder using Quickstart but not through the Game menu.  the latter will allow me to go anywhere else but when I click on Play, I get a black screen.  I can get in with the Quick Start but cannot find how to get to the Mech Properties screen in order to modify the screen resolution.  Where do I find the Mech Properties menu/screen?  What is the actual path?  Thanks.  

Alby -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (5/14/2008 4:54:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: garthc

Have used (and enjoyed) various versions of SP since it first came out in the 90s but, after a couple of years away, am having difficulties with the latest version and Vista.  Hope some of the experts on the thread can help me.  I have just (12th may 2008) downloaded SPWAW (onto a Dell XPS720 [Dec 2007], 4 Gb RAM, NVidea GeForce 8800 Ultra video card, Vista Ultimate) and can get the game through the menu in All Programs SPWAWGen Edn folder using Quickstart but not through the Game menu.  the latter will allow me to go anywhere else but when I click on Play, I get a black screen.  I can get in with the Quick Start but cannot find how to get to the Mech Properties screen in order to modify the screen resolution.  Where do I find the Mech Properties menu/screen?  What is the actual path?  Thanks.  

look for "MECH" in the SP main folder, then right click on it.

Zap -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (5/16/2008 8:59:45 AM)

What kind of chip do you have? Dual Core? Amd64? Just curious to know. If I purchase a lower end laptop(new) without a dual core chip will it handle Vista and SPWAW

V22 Osprey -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (5/16/2008 8:06:00 PM)

Orzel has Delta force Black Hawk Down,DOS Box,Siltent Hunter IV,and it looks like he has the game I really want-Theatre of War.

Zap -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (5/18/2008 6:02:53 AM)

I don't think your reply was to me. Was it?

Zap -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (5/29/2008 8:05:16 PM)

Bought a new laptop with AMD 64 times 2 chip. I needed one for work. I did'nt require a lot of power. (With Vista) Loaded SPWAW Generals Edition the game works well.

Shawmut -> RE: Steel Panthers and Vista (7/5/2008 9:48:48 PM)

My SPWW shows up with 'neon-like' colorizatios.
Dell 5301 with VISTA

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI