Singapore falls (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports

vettim89 -> Singapore falls (5/4/2008 7:52:33 AM)

7 February 1942

Well Greasylake took Singapore and Mersing in the same turn. The siege here lasted much shorter than Manilla even though Manilla was in worse shape to start (Forts only at 2 vice 5 at Singapore). The Mersing troops retreated north so it is not over in Malaya yet. I suspect Larry is kicking himself for not clearing the two remaining bases. I have a couple of questions for those who know. The first is how long will it take for Greasylake to rebuild his units at Singapore? The second is from the attached image how bad were the facilities damaged?

No action anywhere else on the map other than continued bombardments by air and ground at Manila

[image]local://upfiles/25806/76C084DB10614A9C879329345CC566D7.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> RE: Singapore falls (5/5/2008 7:39:53 PM)

11 February 1942

Well after the fall of Singapore things are very quiet. I only have one Japanese TF detected right now - at Rabaul unloading troops. Talk about quiet. One note I forgot to mention is that with the fall of SIngapore, I lost Repulse. I never had much hope for her, and she served her purpose as a distraction to Larry

vettim89 -> RE: Singapore falls (5/6/2008 5:34:32 AM)

12 February 1942

Will go by areas here

PI Another failed Deliberate attack at Manila. Bombardment at Cagayan. No further action on smaller islands

Malaya Mersing survivors retreating north towards Kuantang

SE No movement. Greasylake holds only Tavoy. 35K supplies at Rangoon. Forts at 4 and climbing. Going to take a while to crack this nut

NEI No action

CentPac An unseen SCTF sneaks into Midway and trashes my minelayers. CD rips the TF hard. One DD sinks and several other are hit hard. Still don't know how he got so close. Added another PBY squadron to avoid future events

SoPac Bombardment attack at Rabaul. Forts are 3 here.

saj42 -> RE: Singapore falls (5/6/2008 7:28:07 PM)

Re damage to Singapore, the screenshot shows that:
Heavy Inustry has 77 operational and 111 damaged factories
Resources has 5 functioning and 6 damaged
Repair shipyard has 15 functional and 18 damaged

I'll need to load the scenario afresh to check the starting levels for the above But I do think some shipyards were permanently lost.
Greasylake won't mourn the loss of the resources, but will need to spend supply to repair the shipyard. Maybe the HI too depeding on his economic requirements.

As for the troops retreating to Kuantan, I suggest you gather some subs and try to rescue key units as much as possible to rebuild back in Karachi. Some players see sub evac as 'gamey' but as long as you try to get all the unit out I think its OK ( and those units should be pretty beat up by now)

vettim89 -> RE: Singapore falls (5/6/2008 7:55:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tallyho!

Re damage to Singapore, the screenshot shows that:
Heavy Inustry has 77 operational and 111 damaged factories
Resources has 5 functioning and 6 damaged
Repair shipyard has 15 functional and 18 damaged

I'll need to load the scenario afresh to check the starting levels for the above But I do think some shipyards were permanently lost.
Greasylake won't mourn the loss of the resources, but will need to spend supply to repair the shipyard. Maybe the HI too depeding on his economic requirements.

As for the troops retreating to Kuantan, I suggest you gather some subs and try to rescue key units as much as possible to rebuild back in Karachi. Some players see sub evac as 'gamey' but as long as you try to get all the unit out I think its OK ( and those units should be pretty beat up by now)

Fragments of those units have already been pulled. They are now in Australia and/or India. Thanks for the advice

vettim89 -> RE: Singapore falls (5/6/2008 8:03:42 PM)

12 February 1942

The most important thing happening is the appearance of AmpTF near Midway. Unfortunately I lost my screen shot some how to show what is up. A large contingent of KB is also present with at least 4 CV's. The SCTF that bombarded is retreating west. I think there are some hurting ships there. I have lots of useless subs in the area. They will blockade the island in hopes that maybe one will get a lucky hit. At this stage of the game I cannot contest this. Only Lexington has a full compliment of F4F-3's. Enterprise hase 23/27 and Saratoga has 20. Those three are all at PH. Yorktown has 17/27 and is returning from Suva. Hornet is just now leaving the shipping Channel from Panama and has a full compliment. No F4F-3's in pool and with a build rate of 20 it will take a month just to get airgroups up to full strength.

No other action so I think this is the focus of Larry's thoughts right now. I suspect he wants to wrap up at Manilla first and rebuild the units at Singapore before heading South.

vettim89 -> The Calm Before the Storm? (5/9/2008 2:33:39 AM)

17 February 1942

Realized its been quite a few turns since I've posted. That tells you how slow things are going right now. I think Larry is getting ready for the big push. NEI has got to be a priority to him and he better get moving 'cause time's a wastin'. Update by area

CBI Larry has started a small offensive in southern china. He is trying to take Puching but has failed in two deliberate attacks. I do have one unit cut off east of Canton and would try to kill it but supplies are in short supply. In Burma Japanese 55th Div is in Tavoy and has been there for weeks. Seems to be no interest in moving here. Because of the long siege of Singapore, there has been very little air activity here. I have used that to my advantage to build up Rangoon which now has forts 5 and 48 k supplies. If Larry does not move here soon, I am considering moving up some units from India to reinforce here.

NEI Palembang's airfield has been reduced to rubble. All a/c have been withdrawn. Also Larry has slowly whittled away at the remaining 3 Dutch DD's at Kuching. Only one remains undamaged. Two are seriously banged up and one has been sunk. These and 6 PT's at Balikapaypan are all the surface units I have in the area. The remnants of the Asiatic fleet are halfway between Perth and Adelaid heading for Sidney. The Duth remants are heading for Melbourne and are just south of Perth. There are still 2 brtish Cl's at Soerobaja - one with 67 syst and one with 17. I thought about pulling the lesser damaged one out but don't know where to send her - she has very short legs (3500 nm)

SoPac Lots of convoys moving here. First supply convoy has left Brisbane and is heading to Pogo Pgo which is my current way station. Papete is being prepared as a fall back in case Larry makes moves here. Japanese have failed to dislodge the defenders at Rabaul but forts have fallen to 1 so it will be soon.

CentPac KB won't leave Midway! They have been lurking at there for a week now. I had a small TranTF heading there (1 AK, 4 MSW) When I saw the carriers, I told it to return to PH. Apparent the captain failed to get the order because they got bounced today losing 1 MSW and all ships now damaged. They are heading back to PH I hope. Imaged attached. I think Larry was hoping to bait me into a battle but I am not interested. Yorktown should make PH this next turn and Hornet should make SF in two. Only Lex and Hornet have full fighter squadrons. Only 11 days until F4F production kicks in. At leat then I can upgrade one squadron when the count reaches 27 which will open up the remain -3's to fill out everybody else.

[image]local://upfiles/25806/1847B3C6EE74454AA575B0BDE3769F8D.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> Can Rangoon be defended? (5/12/2008 12:15:03 AM)

22 Feb 1942

Just a brief post. Only thing going on right now is Larry is moving on Midway. He keeps taunting me about coming out to fight. WIth my lack of SV fighters at this point, I cannot challenge him. So I have sent a dozen subs out into the area.
Quite Frankly I don't think this is all bad for me. I am thinking having to fight the battle of attrition so close to my main base

I have a question for readers: can Rangoon be defended. It is now almost March. Larry has one unit - 55th Div in theatre. I have already moved up tons of supplies to Rangoon (88k). SHould I move some combat units from India?

Alfred -> RE: Can Rangoon be defended? (5/12/2008 7:19:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

I have a question for readers: can Rangoon be defended. It is now almost March. Larry has one unit - 55th Div in theatre. I have already moved up tons of supplies to Rangoon (88k). SHould I move some combat units from India?

How much Assault Value do you have there. The Jap 55th Div alone will be worth more than 300 Ass Val, and you can rest assured it won't come a callin' just by itself.

The problem with defending Rangoon in strength is that if you fail to hold he will quickly capture the Burma bases because either (a) he cuts off your escape route from Rangoon, or (b) he will use the pursue order (particularly if he has an armour unit doing the pursuing) and being on railway lines, allow no time to recover disablements before you are pushed out to the next position.

Rather than passively defending Rangoon, there are at least 2 other options you could consider:

(1) if you have a static fortress unit located in Rangoon, a fortification level of 5 will double its Ass Val. That may be sufficient to act as a road block. If so, consider moving most of your mobile units out of Rangoon and via use of the railway lines, once the Japanese enter Rangoon, swiftly move the mobile Kampfgruppe behind the Japanese besiegers to cut off their LOC.

(2) move most of your units (particularly those with engineers) back to Mandalay. Wrecking the local resources at Mandalay is more harmful to the Japanese than similarly wrecking Rangoon's resources.

Alfred

vettim89 -> RE: Can Rangoon be defended? (5/12/2008 8:03:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

How much Assault Value do you have there. The Jap 55th Div alone will be worth more than 300 Ass Val, and you can rest assured it won't come a callin' just by itself.

The problem with defending Rangoon in strength is that if you fail to hold he will quickly capture the Burma bases because either (a) he cuts off your escape route from Rangoon, or (b) he will use the pursue order (particularly if he has an armour unit doing the pursuing) and being on railway lines, allow no time to recover disablements before you are pushed out to the next position.

Rather than passively defending Rangoon, there are at least 2 other options you could consider:

(1) if you have a static fortress unit located in Rangoon, a fortification level of 5 will double its Ass Val. That may be sufficient to act as a road block. If so, consider moving most of your mobile units out of Rangoon and via use of the railway lines, once the Japanese enter Rangoon, swiftly move the mobile Kampfgruppe behind the Japanese besiegers to cut off their LOC.

(2) move most of your units (particularly those with engineers) back to Mandalay. Wrecking the local resources at Mandalay is more harmful to the Japanese than similarly wrecking Rangoon's resources.

Alfred

As always, Alfred, thanks for the advice. The exposed nature of Rangoons position has me concerned. That said my opponent has thus far shown an inability to multitask. Since he took Singapore, he has moved on Midway, but no where else. He seems to only attack where he can bring overwhelming force. WHile I understand that is the way to win in this game, at this point in time, I think he is being too cautious. He has precious few months to accomplish a lot. We are now just 65 days until I can start upgrading British air units. If he doesn't strike Burma soon, it will be a tough row to hoe. I think I will keep my original Ledo to Mandaly defensive line until I see Larry make a move. If he isn't in Burma by May 1, I will reconsider. I am moving SE Asia HQ to the furthest SE base in India prepping for Rangoon. This hex is exactly 9 hexes from Rangoon and at least will help with its command bonus.

24 February Update

Larry has 5 units on Midway. CD has been very harsh on him with 3 DD, an AK, and 3 MSW already reported sunk. Have a hunch this number will only grow with time. I downgrade VMF-211 at PH to F2A to put more F4F-3's into pool. My hope is this will help my CV Fighter groups move up to full strength. At present Enterprise is at 26 and Yorktown is still at 17. Lexington is at Full strength and Hornet is at SF with 27 F4F-4. Just 5 days until -4 come into full production but it will take more than a month to get enough into the pool to convert the airgroups on Lex, Sara, and Enterprise. My Duth ML subs have too much systems damage to lay mines anymore (at least that is what I am assuming) Will have to move them out of theatre I think to repair [:(]

Good new is the remains of the Asiatic Fleet disbanded at Brisbane today. All ships are over 40 syst damage so its going to be a while for repairs to be accomplished.

saj42 -> RE: Can Rangoon be defended? (5/12/2008 2:56:59 PM)

Two things:

1. When counting the range of a command HQ bonus you count the hex it is in as well (a radius of 9 is actually 8 hexes distance).
2. My Dutch ML subs continue to lay mines with 23 Sys damage (don't know what yours are on). Not loading mines is usually due to port limit (lvl 9 required).

vettim89 -> RE: Can Rangoon be defended? (5/12/2008 8:08:38 PM)

quote:

Two things:

1. When counting the range of a command HQ bonus you count the hex it is in as well (a radius of 9 is actually 8 hexes distance).
2. My Dutch ML subs continue to lay mines with 23 Sys damage (don't know what yours are on). Not loading mines is usually due to port limit (lvl 9 required).

Well, they had been loading up to now. Syst damage is 9 on one and 7 on the other. They are reloading at Soerobaja with a AS present

vettim89 -> RE: Can Rangoon be defended? (5/13/2008 5:00:56 AM)

25 February 1942

The siege of Midway continues. Larry told me today his sole engineer unit died of attrition. Forts are still at level 2[:D]. FOW has already revealed he has lost 3 DD's, 3 AP's, 3 MSW, a few PG/PC's at Midway. ALso he has lost about a dozen Carrier a/c.

There is a couple of TF near Palambang. Probable going to see that fall soon. With almost all his CV strength at Midway, I am hoping the Dutch can exact a small measure of AP/AK in this foray.

Redd -> RE: Can Rangoon be defended? (5/13/2008 7:15:22 AM)

Hey Vettim, you just got another reader! Good job losing the combat reports, I checked you out earlier but I bailed when I saw the cr's. As far as Rangoon, it's a death trap. Nothing will retreat from there so I wouldn't reinforce. Your'e better off defending at Mandalay.As far as units on the west coast ,I'd bring 'em all to Hawaii just to get some use out of them. For instance, bring all cent pac units to Pearl, all so pac units to Lahaina, and all sw pac units to Hilo.Fan out from there and cover all dot bases in the HI and build up everything to create mutually supporting bases. From there you can fan out, but take care of your core area first. Hope this helps.[:)]

saj42 -> RE: Can Rangoon be defended? (5/13/2008 3:48:07 PM)

quote:

quote:

Two things:

Well, they had been loading up to now. Syst damage is 9 on one and 7 on the other. They are reloading at Soerobaja with a AS present

To load mines you need either a port 9 OR MLE ship. An AS will only load torpedoes and assist repair.
EDIT - probably requires minimum of 20k supplies as well.

vettim89 -> RE: Can Rangoon be defended? (5/13/2008 5:55:23 PM)

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to forego the defending Rangoon thing unless we get much further in 42 and he has not moved. BTW the hex I amd putting SE Asia HQ into is exactly 8 hexes from Rangoon and is also in command radius of Mandaly, I am going to build up that hex with some AV and forts and keep SE Asia HQ there unless Larry threatens India

My ML subs had been reloading at Soerobaja up until this point. They just stopped all of sudden. I think it is a level 9 port.

Got a turn from Larry so I will post a combat report with some screen shots later today

vettim89 -> Midway Defended! (5/15/2008 3:37:20 AM)

28 February 1942

The Defense of Midway has concluded successfully. I think Larry evac'd his remaining units though I am unsure. Wouldn't that be nice if they all died. What amazes me about this is my defense was completely passive. I had no combat a/c at Midway and did not commit fleet units. The CD and AAA units plus mines did all the damage. Total cost thus far for the Japanese is 4 DD's 5 AP's, 1 AK, 2 PC's. 3 PG's, and 3 MSW offset by Allied losses of 1 ML, 4 DM, and 1 AK. As some ships with damage have yet to make port and FOW is on, Larry's losses may be even higher.

Palambang fell today. I suspect with the Midway debacle behind him, Larry will now concentrate his efforts here.

End of February so complete wrap up to follow.

vettim89 -> March Update (5/15/2008 3:39:10 AM)

The score

[image]local://upfiles/25806/211DF9A5C4BE4693943D781531EBA22C.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> RE: March Update (5/15/2008 3:41:40 AM)

Ships Sunk. My DD losses leveled off this month. His came way up however. His lift continues to take a beating and I think there are quite a few damaged AP/AK retreating from Midway

[image]local://upfiles/25806/CB695A049AAD4E2F88C77C229986E57C.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> RE: March Update (5/15/2008 3:43:34 AM)

Air Losses. Nice to see Zeroes, Kates and Vals high on the list. Again, the bulk of my losses are on the ground

[image]local://upfiles/25806/FBDD784F80484B369BAC5CF17BDAA2A5.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> RE: March Update (5/15/2008 3:45:23 AM)

Top pilots. P-40E seems to be the preferred killer for my flyboys especially if you including the AVG. Question - will Pappy Boyington transfer to the USMC pool at some point? He's got his 5 CBI kills

[image]local://upfiles/25806/F30CA23D27F74860BE8F532DFE7FF240.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> RE: March Update (5/15/2008 3:47:04 AM)

Situation SE Asia - only one LCU in theatre at Tavoy. Unless Larry releases some of the Singapore units, not likely to see action here soon.

[image]local://upfiles/25806/D3D0CA8A093E40BE8A63BA92AEEF79F1.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> RE: March Update (5/15/2008 3:47:52 AM)

Not much happening here either

[image]local://upfiles/25806/8638DD4516D64B988C4E0C5840DBF2C3.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> RE: March Update (5/15/2008 3:49:25 AM)

Where I suspect the action is about to be focused

[image]local://upfiles/25806/C15CBC899A3B4BA99DC218D0F23B08AD.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> RE: March Update (5/15/2008 9:22:02 AM)

Forgto the PI. My count is 79 ground units are committed here - 35 at Manila alone

[image]local://upfiles/25806/12BA8B23717441FB9F05CC037B381CAD.jpg[/image]

vettim89 -> Update (5/16/2008 1:23:40 AM)

1-4 March 1942

Lots of same old same old with one exception. Continued air and ground bombardments at Manilla and Cagayan. Larry has started soften up the bases on Sumatra now with LBA. Also Rangoon is getting a lot more attention from the Japanese Army pilots. I considered moving in an RAF Aviation battalion but thought better of it as I doen't want to lose it.

Larry somehoe managed to sneak in a SCTF into Amboina without me detecting it. This is frustrating as I have lots of Dutch flying boats running Nav Search. He sunk two tankers I had sent there to take oil to Sydney for the HI located there. Well at least the oil went down with the ships so he can't capture it.

I escorted a resupply convoy with a RCT to Midway escorted by CV's LExington, Saratoga, and Enterprise.=. Once the forts are built up, I am going to expand the airfield and port to make this a viable Forward operating base. CV Hornet should arrive at PH in two days.

I need to get thinking about my next line of defense. I am thinking Pogo Pogo and Suva. If SOPac is still quiet by the time I have those two bases shored up, I will start moving units to Noumea. I will only do this once I am sure I can go with enough AV to hold the Island against a determined attack.

vettim89 -> Attu Invaded (5/16/2008 8:00:59 PM)

Attu is now property of the Japanese. He has two BF and a Bgd strength unit there. I am assuming he is going to build up the airbase there ASAP. I will be quite honest, I have neglected the NoPac front. Other than moving supplies to Anchorage I have done nothing. I am starting to move units up there. Once I have some lift accumulated I will buy off some WC units to reinforce this front. I thought about sending my CV's up there in hopes of intercepting some AP's but don't want to lose my carriers over such a distant outpost.

Larry also invaded Bankha on the east coast of Sumatra and is moving overland from Palembang. At this point all I can do is nip at Larry's heels. Just not enough pieces of the puzzle right now

vettim89 -> Defensive decisions (5/19/2008 7:58:35 PM)

12 March 1942

Well I realized that I have not posted an update in a full game week. That is because very little is happening. SInce the successful defense of Midway and the fall of Attu not much has happened. Give an update regarding area of interest.

PI Larry has not tried anything other than bombardments lately. He has commited a huge amount of LBA for this task. He did land an addition SNLF on Cagayan but has not yet tried an attack. I am surpised Larry has not cleaned up the PI yet. There are lots of unoccupied bases that are his for the taking.

NEI Larry moved overland and took what should be called Osthaven (most southern port on Sumatra). He sent a SCTF to Batavia and bombarded it. Onor problem here is some of the remote bases are low on supply. I hadn't considered moving much at the beginning of the gaem as I never expected to be holding them almost 4 months into the war. Larry has such control over the air that I dare not risk any merchant shipping now.

Those are the only hot spots. Considering how bogged down Larry is in the PI and the fact that of the major NEI bases he need to take he has is Palembag. I am beginning to think about amore aggressive forward defnese in the CentPac and SoPac. As soon as I have the NoPac reinforced I am thinking about establish some strong points. I am thinking about Canton Is and Noumea. Have to wait and see how things develop first. I am probably about a month away from that game time wise. I have some specific ideas on where I would like to start offensive operations in about 6 months. Need to get my house in order first. I am beginning to wonder if Larry's strategy may be that the Japanese overextended themselves unnecessarily in RL and he may be thinking about a small perimeter defended in greater strength. Lots of time and things need to happen. I will admit I am getting a little bored of watching combat replays filled with my units gettiong pounded and having no recourse to stop it. Still I feel my defense has been well conceived up to this point. I think Java is going to cost Larry a lot and his failure to at least take Ragoon I think will come to haunt him.

vettim89 -> RE: Defensive decisions (5/21/2008 8:23:55 PM)

13-17 March 1942

Well things are finally moving. I will cover the areas briefly

NEI Larry moved on Amboina and Medan in the same turn. There are CV's south of Amboina covering that invasion. Unfortunately a lot of A/C got damaged here as a result of the preinvasion aerial and ship bombardments. Ergo I fear I may lose seom units outright if the initial Shock attack I am anticipating occurs the next turn. Fortunately I saw Larry coming and got the 17thFS out last turn. They are now in Alice Springs and will be heading to Brisane. Both P-40 outfits from the PI are now in Oz. I actually don't feel too bad about the situation here as I was doing some studying and realized my opponent is a full two months behind the historical timeline. So far my strong point defense has worked well for me.

PI In the lsat five days another deliberate attack failed at Manila - Larry has got to be pulling his hair out. Unfortunaley two successive deliberate attacks reduced the forts at Cagayan form 2 to 0. So the Japanese are finally making some headwya here.

SE Asia Well resupply of Rangoon is now done. There are now enough Betty's and Nells at Tavoy and Bangkok to make it too costly. CA Cornwal is now limping back to Ceylon after taking a couple of "fish". No movement on the ground yet. I can only hope my 88K of supplies will be enough to hold the Japanese Army off for a while. Forts are now 5 at Rangoon.

NoPac I bought off a RCT from WC and am shipping that unit, a arty unit I bought and a BF to Dutch Harbor. Realized I have no fuel up there so am sending a few tankers north. Thought about buying some Canadian Bgd's to send up there but will wait to see if Attu was a diversion or a precursor to Larry truly opening this front.

General I have problems with not enough lift already. Actually what I really lack are AP's. Doing some consolidating now to try to get units where I need them. I decided to move as much of the SWPac, CentPac, and SoPac units to Hawaii for now. Once I have thins organized I will move SoPac units to NZ, and SWPac units to Oz. Also have a huge fuel shortage in OZ which I hope will soon be remedied as I have a TF with 52000 oil just south of Brisbane now and another one with 100K just leaving Pogo Pogo. I also am moving a large amount of oil from Aden to Diamond Harbor - I assume this oil will move overland one hex to fuel Calcutta's HI. Need to move a little oil to Madras also. I sincerely hope I can keep Larry bogged down in the SRA for a couple of months. If I accomplish this I will be able to implement my initial plan for setting up for offensive operations which will involve defnding Noumea and the New Hebrides and Canton Is. SO much time will pass between now and then that I will have to modify my approach to meet my opponent's moves but that's the plan right now.

vettim89 -> RE: Defensive decisions (5/24/2008 1:25:38 AM)

Quick update. Amboina fell. I am unloading a lot of the SwPac units at Lihua in Hawaii. I am starting to load up some SoPac units and will move them to the big island. From there they will deploy south. Where will depend on where the game goes in the next month. My transport ships especially AK's are out of place. I have a 50+ in Aden even with huge numbers running back and forth to Ceylon, Karachi, and Madras. I think I will load them up with fuel and supplies and send them to Oz and then dead head them to SF (old railroad term). I am organizing a bunch of AK in OZ to head toward WC, but want to leave some units here as a reserve.

Larry keeps pounding away at Cagayan, Kuatang, and Manilla. No bad results have fallen my way yet. I am throwing my units at Kuatang to keep Larry from leaving them behind as training targets.

Game time is now 22 March 1942

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI