RE: OT - WWII quiz (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/27/2008 9:11:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: morgil
10. Who did former SS Wiking members try to get removed from theire roll of veterans ? Why ?

Enjoy [8D]
And remember no looking it up [:-]

I do not remember which division he served in, but this question makes me wanna do a semi-educated guess. Joseph Mengele first served as a medic in a SS div, so I am guessing it was Wiking, and that they wanted his name removed because of what he became after being transfered to the KZ part of SS?

*edit*
just noticed that the Laconia order Q has not been answered either.

It was an order stating that German naval vessels were not to pick up survivors from the sea (only enemy survivors I guess), and it came after KM had sunk a ship off Africa, and the KM ships that helped pick survivors from the water was attacked by an aircraft.

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/27/2008 9:25:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

7. I was thinking of the sinking of Blucher outside Oslo, atleast 800 dead, maybe not major enough :p

Warspite1

I think the loss of a brand new ship in such incompetent circumstances is pretty major. However, I think the number of dead is irrelevant for a question like this. Blucher was an 8-inch gunned heavy cruiser sunk in April 1940. The Graf Spee was an 11-inch gunned pocket battleship scuttled in December 1939. Therefore the first major loss was the Graf Spee. As with the Bismarck question, what finally sank the ship - British shells or torpedoes or crew scuttling is also irrelevant in determining what is a loss.

At that stage of the war Graf Spee was a major loss to the small but modern Kriegsmarine. These ships were boasted to be faster than a more powerful ship and more powerful than a faster ship. The fact was on paper, it should not have lost to the two British and one Kiwi cruisers - two of which were of the light variety - that engaged it.

I would rather say the decimation of the Kriegsmarine during Weserübung. In addition to Blücher they also lost most of their destroyers in Narvik.
But the Blücher raises another Q:

Q: Why was the sinking of the Blücher important in regards to Norwegian war effort?

Warspite1

You failed to mention the loss of the Karlsruhe and the Konigsberg - both of which happened during Weserubung - but it does not alter the fact Graf Spee was lost first......I guess given the vagueness of the question, it all comes down to individual perception of what is a major loss.

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/27/2008 9:39:49 AM)

quote:

You failed to mention the loss of the Karlsruhe and the Konigsberg - both of which happened during Weserubung - but it does not alter the fact Graf Spee was lost first......I guess given the vagueness of the question, it all comes down to individual perception of what is a major loss.

Bah, I must be tired, you are ofc correct. As a matter of fact s family heirloom (a clock) was damaged during the attack on Kristiansand, so I should absolutely have remembered those two as well. *ashamed*

Neilster -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/27/2008 1:32:22 PM)

quote:

8. Oops. In my defence i was tired and had forgot the important bit while thinking up clever Q's

Say what? So we don't get to look up answers but you get to bugger up the questions? [:D]

I don't think so champ. I demand adjudication on my answer to your bollocks question! [;)]

p.s. For the uninitiated, bollocks are the dangley bits males treasure and which are ludicrously vulnerable to excruciating injury from various activities. Yes, I know sperm production is most efficient at 36 degrees and hence outside the body cavity but surely there can be a better system than having one nad a bit higher than the other and the whole package out there for Lord knows what to happen [:D]

Cheers, Neilster

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/27/2008 3:02:06 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

7. I was thinking of the sinking of Blucher outside Oslo, atleast 800 dead, maybe not major enough :p

Warspite1

I think the loss of a brand new ship in such incompetent circumstances is pretty major. However, I think the number of dead is irrelevant for a question like this. Blucher was an 8-inch gunned heavy cruiser sunk in April 1940. The Graf Spee was an 11-inch gunned pocket battleship scuttled in December 1939. Therefore the first major loss was the Graf Spee. As with the Bismarck question, what finally sank the ship - British shells or torpedoes or crew scuttling is also irrelevant in determining what is a loss.

At that stage of the war Graf Spee was a major loss to the small but modern Kriegsmarine. These ships were boasted to be faster than a more powerful ship and more powerful than a faster ship. The fact was on paper, it should not have lost to the two British and one Kiwi cruisers - two of which were of the light variety - that engaged it.

I would rather say the decimation of the Kriegsmarine during Weserübung. In addition to Blücher they also lost most of their destroyers in Narvik.

Q: Why was the sinking of the Blücher important in regards to Norwegian war effort?

Warspite1

The Blucher was carrying 2,000 troops, part of the force that was to take Oslo and capture King Haakon. As a result of the ridiculous decision to "carry on up the fjord" (good name for a comedy!), despite the fact that surprise was lost, the Blucher was quickly sunk - with over 1,000 dead.

The King, the government and General staff were able to scarper and organise what defence they could.

terje439 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/28/2008 1:45:21 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

The Blucher was carrying 2,000 troops, part of the force that was to take Oslo and capture King Haakon. As a result of the ridiculous decision to "carry on up the fjord" (good name for a comedy!), despite the fact that surprise was lost, the Blucher was quickly sunk - with over 1,000 dead.

The King, the government and General staff were able to scarper and organise what defence they could.

Yup, you only forgot one part of it, the invasion force was also supposed to seize the norwegian gold reserves which they did not manage to do. The gold was then moved to England and helped pay for the allied war effort.

morgil -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/28/2008 5:46:47 AM)

I understand bullocks[:)], but not adjudication [&:]

Also terje is spot on for them other Q's

And I should had formulated my major loss question a bit better. I was thinking about first major loss of personell, but I agree that loss of a vessel like the Graf is much harder blow for the total wareffort.

Ill just answer #11 myself, SS Nordland is as close as any SS got to becoming warheroes, while SS Totenkopf was probably the worst warcriminals of the entire war.

Neilster -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/28/2008 6:16:25 AM)

quote:

I understand bullocks[:)], but not adjudication [&:]

Also terje is spot on for them other Q's

And I should had formulated my major loss question a bit better. I was thinking about first major loss of personell, but I agree that loss of a vessel like the Graf is much harder blow for the total wareffort.

Ill just answer #11 myself, SS Nordland is as close as any SS got to becoming warheroes, while SS Totenkopf was probably the worst warcriminals of the entire war.

Adjudication means judgement.

By the way, do you know my friend Ann Danielsen from Bergen? She moved to Oslo. This might trigger your memory, she's very attractive but that's hardly a distinguishing feature in Norway! Takk for hjelpen [;)]

Cheers, Neilster

morgil -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/28/2008 6:36:49 AM)

Ahh, I see. Yes, I adjucate, that you are with a 99% probability entirely correct.
Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of knowingly drooling at Ann Danielsen's figure, that is, we have not been introduced.
Yes, there are a lot of attractive women here, but they are usually foreigners, like all the aussie barmaids that flock here for money and men, as there seem to be a surprisng lack of those in the fair lands of Oz.

composer99 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/28/2008 6:41:06 AM)

Graf Spee was probably Germany's first significant loss of the war (admittedly, I say this after being at not one but two wedding receptions and their respective flows of alcohol...)... in the long term, though, her scuttling was small potatoes to the immense losses the Wehrmacht suffered on the Eastern Front, although if memory serves (not very well at the moment) they did suffer some respectable losses in Poland (indeed, the Poles in some ways put up a better fight than the French).

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/28/2008 7:25:14 AM)

[/quote] Warspite1

Worse than the 2nd SS - Das Reich? Must have been bad to outstrip Ouradour Sur Glane (French - please excuse my spelling). What did Totenkopf do?

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/28/2008 7:26:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Graf Spee was probably Germany's first significant loss of the war (admittedly, I say this after being at not one but two wedding receptions and their respective flows of alcohol...)... in the long term, though, her scuttling was small potatoes to the immense losses the Wehrmacht suffered on the Eastern Front, although if memory serves (not very well at the moment) they did suffer some respectable losses in Poland (indeed, the Poles in some ways put up a better fight than the French).

Composer 99

Can I ask why you have the cruiser Nigeria as an Avatar?

morgil -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/28/2008 8:43:24 AM)

quote:

Warspite1

Worse than the 2nd SS - Das Reich? Must have been bad to outstrip Ouradour Sur Glane (French - please excuse my spelling). What did Totenkopf do?

Well, first of all the men was initially formed from concentration camp guards, SS-Totenkopfverbände, that should rank them bottom of all humanity at a start. Then a week after seeing first combat they got the Le Paradis massacre, murdered almost 100 English POV.

micheljq -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 3:20:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

IrishGuards's avatar made me want to do that :
[:D]

[image]local://upfiles/10447/46E77231E4714B77A5791E2000D7E93F.gif[/image]

Highlanders? Highlanders are known to be inhabitants of the scottish highlands. There are highlanders in Ireland?

monkla -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 4:02:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Well, first of all the men was initially formed from concentration camp guards, SS-Totenkopfverbände, that should rank them bottom of all humanity at a start. Then a week after seeing first combat they got the Le Paradis massacre, murdered almost 100 English POV.

While I forget the numbers, some of the higher numbered SS divisions, formed in the Balkans. They go down in my mind as the worst. I'm sure many took the opportunity not so much to serve the Germans but to persecute their neighbours, as alas, they have been want to do for generations.

composer99 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 4:57:29 PM)

quote:

Can I ask why you have the cruiser Nigeria as an Avatar?

Sure. It's the ship my grandfather served on during the war, doing the Murmansk Run. He was a radar officer. Technically in the Royal Canadian Navy though serving on an RN ship (which meant he got paid a fair bit more than his RN equivalents [:)]).

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 6:02:44 PM)

The Croatian Ustache were worse than any German unit I think.

I read a small paperback war memoir of a survivor from the SS 'Wiking' division, I think it was titled "The Black March". They weren't much different than any other SS unit.

Time for a quiz question ... which WWII warship(s) served in the most different wars?

IrishGuards -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 7:48:13 PM)

Well ... certainly a vague and difficult [&:]
Have to say Japs .... but I figure it could be CW or Russia .. or very well the US .. [X(]
Nay sure ... Good ??? [8|]
IG

paulderynck -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 8:24:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I read a small paperback war memoir of a survivor from the SS 'Wiking' division, I think it was titled "The Black March". They weren't much different than any other SS unit.

Time for a quiz question ... which WWII warship(s) served in the most different wars?

By date I'd guess the JP Asama or Idzumo, but I thought I'd read somewhere that the Duguay Trouin was much older than 1922. I may be thinking of an RN ship that was captured from France in the 18th century and served until the 20th.

Froonp -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 8:38:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: micheljq

quote:

Highlanders? Highlanders are known to be inhabitants of the scottish highlands. There are highlanders in Ireland?

I know that Irish Guard is Irish, but the colors made me think of Scotland, so I imaginated a Scotish unit [:D]

paulderynck -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 9:05:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know that Irish Guard is Irish, but the colors made me think of Scotland, so I imaginated a Scotish unit [:D]

But a great many Scots emigrated to Ireland and they could not all have been Lowlanders.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 9:14:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

quote:

quote:

But a great many Scots emigrated to Ireland and they could not all have been Lowlanders.

Some of the Scots emigrated to Ireland and then later emigrated to the US. A lot of the US music from the Apalachian mountains (Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, North Carolina) are based on old Scottish and Irish songs.

patchogue -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 9:31:32 PM)

HMS Victory is still a serving ship in the Royal Navy - so it could be her.

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 9:40:12 PM)

quote:

Warspite1

I think a clue is in order here.....

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/29/2008 9:56:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: patchogue

HMS Victory is still a serving ship in the Royal Navy - so it could be her.

Warspite1

I assumed the question meant "fought" in...but re-reading it - yes you must be right as she has remained in commission since the late 1700`s.

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/30/2008 1:22:54 AM)

The USN might still have the Constitution on the rolls?

Anyway, let's go with combat action in the most different wars. I don't have a source on this, just a hunch that the answer I have in mind is correct. I don't think it's that hard...

wworld7 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/30/2008 1:30:10 AM)

As far as I know she is still an active duty ship. Even if she is a bit under-armed by today's standards.[:)]

warspite1 -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/30/2008 8:05:02 AM)

quote:

The USN might still have the Constitution on the rolls?

Anyway, let's go with combat action in the most different wars. I don't have a source on this, just a hunch that the answer I have in mind is correct. I don't think it's that hard...

Warspite1

I would go for the Iowa`s, some or all of which would have seen service in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the Gulf War. Many British ships took part in both World Wars, and at least some of the the R-class would have seen service in the 1920`s in support of the White Russians - but that`s only three. So I`ll go for the Iowa`s.

brian brian -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/30/2008 5:58:11 PM)

yes, the Iowa and New Jersey were the two I was thinking of...maybe the Wisconsin too. I forget the exact roll call for the Gulf War.

patchogue -> RE: OT - WWII quiz (9/30/2008 9:59:20 PM)

Going back to Victory - ( I think) she must be older than any US ship called Constitution because she's older than the US Constitution!
Obviously I haven't checked because that would be a bad thing! [:D]

Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI