RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Online Leagues

mbsports -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/4/2008 2:33:43 AM)

Heh well it basically has a bunch of number randomizers and vlookups - it is actually not necessarily complex formulas, there's just about 20,000 of them running.

The players are actually posted in the recruiting section right now - each human gets 100 points to allocate however they'd like to try to skew players towards their school.  Each player has another randomization...call it the teenager gene that makes them sometimes love an offer, sometimes not love it.  So there can be some shake ups, players are not guaranteed to go where their current first choice is.

One of the nice things about a name randomizer is that you do get true random names...
My favorites from recruiting class 1
On the Italian Side: Adalberto Gianetto
Big fan also of Florencio Nakamori - I wonder how that dynamic works.
Trinidad Sanchez is a good one too
Stephan Hawkins... - so close to Stephen Hawkings, and yet so far in the universe away.
Maximo Berg
Hunter Catalina
Numbers Greene
Frank Wolfgram - Seriously!? Someone has the last name Wolfgram?!
Finally the 2 that almost caused me to get beer on my monitor...
Les Common - He must be kind of a rare player

and without question the one that made me laugh out loud

Hung Whitehorse

Tullius -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/4/2008 7:41:07 AM)

quote:

Frank Wolfgram - Seriously!? Someone has the last name Wolfgram?!

In Germany "Wolfram" is a last name but a first name, too. So Wolfram von Eschenbach is a poet of the mediaeval times. "Wolfgang" was a popular first name 30 - 70 years ago. But these names will become again. Today many babies were called "Paul" or "Lisa", when i was a child these names were typical for very old people .

Mykal -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/4/2008 4:12:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbsports

LOL I spend my day time looking at all sorts of demographics, psychographics, and media vehicles so number soup and activation and things like that are my day to day life.

Basically what you do is run the randomizer for as many players as you need and then copy/paste visibles only into the recruiting matrix - quite frankly it's my job to get that done, not yours LOL.

You'll see something in the next day though.

So how do you run it, by doing what ?
is there something to press to make it run or do I have to add something
Also, would it work for another league (I'm guessing it would with a few alterations to High School/College and the name DB).

Sorry to be a pain but you got me curious now, once I get started on something I tend to pick it up pretty quick
But I always get stuck on that first big step, once thats done, I'll be away off and running

mbsports -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/4/2008 5:53:20 PM)

All you have to do is select a field and then hit enter and it will automatically run thru all of it's queries. 

Then you take that and copy - visible only fields and paste those out in a seperate sorting DB<there's one in there for recruiting that is blank, I use that for a lot of stuff.

Then you copy/paste the applicable fields into the recruiting matrix which will then fire up... there's a lot going on in there, it's tough to explain the best way to copy/paste/move fields around because I haven't even figured it out yet.  One day I need to just write a good macro for it.

And yes absolutely I can write this type of thing for any league in terms of randomizing players. The hard part is the recruiting engine b/c it has too many columns with more then 27 teams to fit in an excel 2000 sheet.

Gotta love Microsoft - never saw it coming that we would want to have no limits on width or length of a document.

Mykal -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/5/2008 10:56:12 AM)

Kewl, thanks for the explanation

I'll copy and paste that so I can refer to it later to give it a try [:D]

garysorrell -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/5/2008 1:21:11 PM)

quote:

Hung Whitehorse

It is possible for a person to blow coffee through their nose while trying not to laugh.

Love that name.

Mykal -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/10/2008 10:36:46 PM)

things not looking any better for my Sherbrooke
big loss to the stingers [:(]

I'm back up and running again now
gonna take another look at my depth chart
see if I can strengthen anything [8|] here's hoping

mbsports -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/11/2008 2:27:52 PM)

No doubt, we're nearing the Vanier Cup playoffs so with those coming up we'll have our recruiting soon as well.

Should be interesting to see where everyone goes

Mykal -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/11/2008 2:37:11 PM)

The way things are looking for Sherbrooke
it'll be a good season if we can just get one in the W column [8|]

Mykal -> RE: MBCIS Depth Chart (10/11/2008 3:05:08 PM)

New updated Depth Chart for Sherbrooke Emailed in.

dont think its going to make much difference but ya gotta try
re-organised the O-Line
changed the slot backs and re-organised the DB's

Here's hoping............... fingers crossed [;)]

mbsports -> Slamming head on desk (10/12/2008 5:01:21 AM)

So I imported the remote out file that you sent Mykal and I forgot one key thing because I typically don't use them.

When you upload one you basically clear everything for the team if it's a week 1 file and you're loading for any other week.  So essentially everything Sherbrooke got cleared.  I'm trying to restore it from a backup but it'll be a bit tricky... thankfully I sent some of this to my work this week to use an older version of access so I'm protected this time.

Can I get that depth chart without the Max FB file format?  I gotta be honest MaxFB's file structure is one of the most confounding things I've ever seen in software.  There seems to be little rhyme or reason as to why the most difficult way to look at data is used almost exclusively throughout.

Mykal -> RE: Slamming head on desk (10/12/2008 11:43:41 AM)

Jeeper's Man
thats a big blooper

what format do you want the depth chart in then
cos thats the only way I know how to do it
(apart from writting them down by hand, which I really dont have time for)

mbsports -> RE: Slamming head on desk (10/12/2008 3:46:14 PM)

I should be able to work from the original - I think I have it set up, but if I run into anything odd it could cause an issue, but I think we're a'ight.

Mykal -> RE: Slamming head on desk (10/21/2008 11:43:21 PM)

this season kinda just seemed to pass me by in a flash
I had no real idea when games where to be played and seemed to jump from 7 games played to 10 games over-night

a little confusing
some of it was my fault (well my dead Hard Drives fault anyway)

few questions,

1. is this just how things roll - kinda like flash-Bang were done
or was this just purely to bring the CIS on a par (time frame wise) with the other leagues

2. I noticed somewhere, you say drafting for leagues is done live - will that be the same for recruiting
and if so I'm hoping that would be a time of day that would also allow me to be present (list just dont get the job done)
also baring in mind I'm hoping to be the next MBCFL expansion team, so drafting is still relevant to me.

3. exactly where, is the live drafting done?
is there some place I would need to know about or is just done on IM.

4. I noticed we had no injuries at all in the CIS league season
yes, I'm aware you switched them off for reasons of your own
but would it not be possible to have them on with some tinkering done to the injuries in the DB
basically to negate career ending injuries etc.
I know the VCFL has done this in the past to prevent players dropping out of the league willy nilly.
Just a question? nothing more than that,
because your star running back being injured for 3 weeks would really shake things up
yep........... my wanting injuries could bite me in the ass......... I'm aware of that
but it aslo lends itself to actually feeling like you need to do something week to week to maintain your team, if you see my point.

mbsports -> RE: Slamming head on desk (10/22/2008 4:31:16 AM)

1. Absolutely not - CIS just happened to fall in a spot where it is off kilter with the overall league schedule.  With the amount of stuff that I do I have a master schedule that I'll be rolling out shortly.  When that happens you'll be able to look at a calendar and the MBFL Leagues and know exactly where in the season every league is at any given point.  I also put in some vacation weeks for me, which have been somewhat lacking.  But because the CIS season and CFL seasons started when they did they have ended up off by about 6 weeks total.  My fault for not forecasting what kind of schedule I want everything to run on.  We'll start to get things back on track with season 2 of CIS and then season 3 will be right on the money where I want it.  I don't want to rig Season 2 into it's scheduling spot or else it will be slip shod and a little too abbreviated. As an example I can tell you that when the NFL Pre-season is running we'll be right around week 7 of the CFL schedule and 5,6 of the CIS schedule. There will be weeks where multiple sims are scheduled but it will all be clear and in front of you so you know what's going on.

2.  We do them over AIM but also there's a chat room done over IRC.  The IRC room mostly gets used just for drafts these days, but it's a good place to hash out a trade as well.  Recruiting is a little different then drafting because it doesn't have that live element to it.  Just as in real life there's no instant gratification.  Basically there's still one step we need to put into the recruiting pool and that is how hard would you like to recruit certain players.  Once those are in I'll let the computer teams wrap up before us.  The reason for that is so the computer teams filter out players they can't accept due to grades or can't accept due to lack of space.  Then the remaining players are pretty much the human coaches to select

3.  See above - IRC or AIM is used, the IRC room is direct java linked from the website actually so no special software or anything like that is required.

4. You've been reading my mind because injuries were something I've been mulling over for CFL and CIS because it has been lacking and it needs to become more involved.  My only concern is the annoying habit of MaxFB to create and assign players to teams without human interaction due to the reliance on the profile page.  Correct me if I'm wrong but lets say you have a CFL team with 45 players and 1 gets hurt - Max FB will actually shift around the roster and create a player to take that spot on the team automagically if you simulate the week.  Trust me I'll be testing this shortly but if someone has a quick answer just let me know.  Again this is less about not wanting injuries - I really do and I will be careful with the degree of career ending injuries that tend to pop up.  This is entirely about some of the just plain silly things that happen with MaxFB such as the computer ever touching a human controlled team.  It just should never happen -  As long as the team has a valid depth chart and not too many players the thing should sim without changing anything.  Unfortunately it is hardwired to follow commands...even commands that become stupid due to reality.

[:)]

Good Times!

-Mb

Marauders -> RE: Slamming head on desk (10/22/2008 6:01:52 AM)

quote:

Gotta love Microsoft - never saw it coming that we would want to have no limits on width or length of a document.

Yeah, David had to change and limit some database stuff in Maximum Football, because the file couldn't handle all of the information.

Bill Gates, meet Gordon Moore.

Mykal -> RE: Slamming head on desk (10/22/2008 12:05:30 PM)

INJURIES

I'm almost certain with the final release
that the cpu has a "hands off" human controlled teams now

I hav'nt actually tested it myself (but like you I will just to see)
but working from what Tillius has said in the past, that shouldn't happen.

I have a test league which I use purely for testing this and that
so I'll run those tests over the next couple of days
I'll know instantly if it does
because I always set player names in lower case
where as MF generates player names in upper case
so they'll be very apparent.

mbsports -> RE: Slamming head on desk (10/22/2008 4:59:39 PM)

Just so you know what to expect - there will be some weeks with 2 games scheduled - these will likely be a Weds/Weekend type setup.  The thing I want to make sure of is that I can give them the proper focus.  The CIS and CFL schedules will likely be 3 month deals meaning there will be some off-season in there built in and there will be recruiting and few things there, but much less then the NFL league which takes up more time b/c it is a more involved league and season.  The CIS and CFL offseasons overlap a little bit with the NFL off-season but most of their events will be on off-weekends for me.  Expect the CFL draft and CIS recruiting to be in a few weeks and then we hop right into those seasons.  Really the rest of 2008 is scheduled to be kind of a cluster with the leagues getting on their target dates and deadlines and then when we hit 09' things will start to lineup on their permanent schedules.  There will be 2 seasons per year - CFL retirements are determined by Max FB with a little human tweeking so we don't see mass retirements every season of star players.  Overall I think it'll work out well and I'll continue to provide some updates as to where we're at, but right now I'm trying to make that schedule as workable as possible with the amount of football that I want to sim.  Just as an overview to what the group of leagues will be -

MBFL - Pro NFL Style
MBCFL - Pro CFL Style
MBCFA - NCAA FBS and FCS
MBCIS - CIS
MBAFL - AFL - finally broke some of the code I needed for this to work how I want
MBAFL2 - AFL2 - Not sure how I'm setting this - might not be a GM heavy league
MBUFL - Spring Pro Football for developing players

Yes that's a crazy amount of stuff, but with some of the automation and SQL scripts I'm running a lot of it will be automagic and I'll focus on just setting up the sims and writing news articles, which is one of the more enjoyable parts of it for me. 

Mykal -> RE: Injuries (10/22/2008 5:33:22 PM)

Cripes Bro.............. Crazy dont even begin to describe that amount

Changing the subject back to injuries

I've ran a test or two
the CPU didnt create any players after an injury of a player on a human controlled team
it actually wont let you advance until you sort out the depth chart yourself

which has to be a good thing for the most part
the only problem I can see with that is:
a human controlled team picks up an injury and the teams GM has gone AWOL
which would grind the league to a halt until he returned

although I'm guessing you would step in and make changes yourself after to long
one cant hang around forever and knock everything off cilter.

Hope that helps you out some MB.

mbsports -> RE: Injuries (10/22/2008 9:51:08 PM)

Exactly - as the commish you do what's right for the league in those cases - which is if an injury happens and the owner can't make an immediate change before the game you do it manually for them and so be it - that's the way it has to work.  If they have a depth chart, that's why they have one so that when it happens there's a plan.

Good to know and makes me feel better going into next season with wounded turned on.

Mykal -> RE: Stadium Update (10/31/2008 4:30:22 AM)

Quick note for ya' MB

I made a small update to Western Ontario's TD Waterhouse Stadium
moved the scoreboard to its rightful place on top of the buildings

I may well totally re-build and re-paint this stadium though
garysorrell made a new stadium a little while ago,
which I think is a much better fit for Western Ontario.

I want these stadiums/fields to be as realistic as possible

Mykal -> RE: Stadium Update (10/31/2008 5:38:53 AM)

actually on 2nd look the original was the best fit
at least it was after I've changed out the skyline, looks much better now.
I'll update the upload tomorrow (4.47 am now, bedtime)
I'll mark it on the whats new page as "Re-updated"

Mykal -> RE: Stadium Update (10/31/2008 5:41:30 PM)

Done it
TD Waterhouse Stadium now looks more like it should
I'm not 100% happy with it but happier at least [:)]

Mykal -> RE: Stadium Update (11/13/2008 12:31:45 AM)

Sent in my Recruiting points list for Sherbrooke [:D]

VCFL Commish -> RE: Stadium Update (11/13/2008 1:39:03 AM)

If you go into the MainData you can edit the injuries.So all those season ending injuries can be cut down.When I was doing the sim for the VCFL last year I edited the length down on the injuries lenght.
So you basicly could edit the injuries down just to  parts of the game.So you have injuries but they won`t effect depth charts for the next game.

mbsports -> RE: Stadium Update (11/14/2008 12:31:22 AM)

Thanks - that helps quite a bit.  I'm going to try to get er' going with some tweaks I just made in there and some miracles and magic and some other m words or stuff.

We'll get it right.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI