RE: Tidbit (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

RevRick -> RE: Tidbit (1/5/2009 7:20:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

Jap commander: EEK!
PT Skipper: EEK!

Nope...
Jap Commander: EEK!
PT Skipper: Bring me my brown pants....

witpqs -> RE: Tidbit (1/5/2009 8:24:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Well....the Jap warships stayed with the troopships to defend them. For all they knew, the PT might have been a "draw".

True. There is also the performance of the lookouts.

Japanese:
The lookouts failed (until a certain time) to see one very small target on a night with 7% moonlight. Fair enough.

Allied:
The PT lookouts failed to see ANY of 37 larger to very much larger targets until that same instant. And conditions were clear.

Feed them boys some carrots!

Don Bowen -> RE: Tidbit (1/5/2009 9:35:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Well....the Jap warships stayed with the troopships to defend them. For all they knew, the PT might have been a "draw".

True. There is also the performance of the lookouts.

Japanese:
The lookouts failed (until a certain time) to see one very small target on a night with 7% moonlight. Fair enough.

Allied:
The PT lookouts failed to see ANY of 37 larger to very much larger targets until that same instant. And conditions were clear.

Feed them boys some carrots!

Or loan them some of the fine Japanese optics

Monter_Trismegistos -> RE: Tidbit (1/5/2009 11:05:49 PM)

PT crew was so frightened so they "played dead". :)

jrcar -> RE: Tidbit (1/6/2009 12:11:24 AM)

I think the PT boat was out of torps and ammo when it "attacked" (aka "stumbled upon") the ships, having been involved (with a buddy) with another TF of mine prior to this action (and loosing its buddy, but badly hurting a DD).

Cheers

Rob

AE BETA Breaker :)

Alikchi2 -> RE: Tidbit (1/6/2009 2:23:27 AM)

quote:

LSD Shinshu Maru

I can't wait to see what that LSD is like!

fokkov -> RE: Tidbit (1/6/2009 8:44:46 AM)

Now we finally know what keeps us addicted to this game [:D]

Barb -> RE: Tidbit (1/6/2009 10:28:10 AM)

AMC? Army .... carrier?

EnricoR -> RE: Tidbit (1/6/2009 10:45:21 AM)

Armed Merchant Cruiser

Barb -> RE: Tidbit (1/6/2009 10:55:48 AM)

Ah, I just overlooked Akagi Maru in my reference book.

jrcar -> RE: Tidbit (1/6/2009 10:58:38 AM)

Yes AMC is Armed Merchant Cruisier, very handy as the Japanese for invasions, fast speed, resonable personnel and cargo load and they have decent guns as well so they can do their own counter battry.

The LSD is very useful as well :)

Getting your head round all the new ship classes takes some time, unlearning from stock and relearning.

Cheers

Rob

AE BETA Breaker :)

RevRick -> RE: Tidbit (1/6/2009 1:17:34 PM)

Ah, I wondered when the LSDs were going to show up. It's a lot easier to swim out the back then drop off the front, and somewhat less... daunting, to say the least. There weren't a lot of them during the war, but some...

Good.

Now, have you made any provisions for helo squadrons, perchance? If not, don't let it slow anything down, but I just wondered about that as well.

doc smith -> RE: Tidbit (1/7/2009 10:12:56 PM)

History Channel (I think) had a piece on Jap helos flying from small carriers. The neat bit is that ships and helos were used in ASW and manned by army personnel!

I was unable to find anything about this force - not listed among IJN assets and the Army info I have doesn't mention shipping.

Terminus -> RE: Tidbit (1/7/2009 10:14:57 PM)

Not helos, but Kayaba Ka-1 autogyros. We've got them.

Speedysteve -> RE: Tidbit (1/8/2009 10:13:47 AM)

What are they good for?

Terminus -> RE: Tidbit (1/8/2009 10:21:01 AM)

Not much, as you'd expect. They can do a bit of ASW, but that's it.

Speedysteve -> RE: Tidbit (1/8/2009 10:32:24 AM)

Short range also I guess?

Terminus -> RE: Tidbit (1/8/2009 10:39:10 AM)

Normal combat range is two hexes.

Shark7 -> RE: Tidbit (1/8/2009 4:04:33 PM)

Of course, the problem with the Ka-1 isn't so much that its not all that usefull, the problem is that the ship that ferries them about will sink the first time it leaves port.  By the time Akitsu Maru and Nagitsu Maru would have had them, the US sub dominance was well established.

Kull -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 5:06:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrcar

Getting your head round all the new ship classes takes some time, unlearning from stock and relearning.

And that's just ships. It's almost impossible to wrap my head around the vast array of changes that have taken place in AE - almost EVERYTHING has been tweaked or gutted and rebuilt. Which begs the question......if learning to play WitP required an ascent of the "learning cliff", what will AE demand? Oxygen? Pitons?

Terminus -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 5:19:09 AM)

You have NO idea...[:D]

Alikchi2 -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 5:21:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrcar

And that's just ships. It's almost impossible to wrap my head around the vast array of changes that have taken place in AE - almost EVERYTHING has been tweaked or gutted and rebuilt. Which begs the question......if learning to play WitP required an ascent of the "learning cliff", what will AE demand? Oxygen? Pitons?

Which reminds me - we really need someone to compile a "Changelist" type thread so people can run over and immediately get their "is this feature included?" question answered. That'd cut down on the threads posted about 50%..

Kull -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 5:24:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi
Which reminds me - we really need someone to compile a "Changelist" type thread so people can run over and immediately get their "is this feature included?" question answered. That'd cut down on the threads posted about 50%..

No prob. I'll take care of that right now.

Changelist Follows:

"Everything"

[;)]

erstad -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 5:25:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

No prob. I'll take care of that right now.

Changelist Follows:

"Everything"

[;)]

Eh,not exactly. Some things we have been told are SAIEW. Therefore, here's the corrected changelist:

"Most Everything"

[:D]

bradfordkay -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 5:29:24 AM)

Make that:

"Most everything, except for (insert your favorite nitpick here)." [;)]

Alikchi2 -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 5:43:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Make that:

"Most everything, except for (insert your favorite nitpick here)." [;)]

But (insert your favorite nitpick here) is ESSENTIAL! AE is BROKEN!!!1 [:@][:@][:@][:-][:-][:@][:@][:@][:-][:-][:-]

m10bob -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 9:32:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

And this is one of the reasons I will continue to play using one day turns.(Small baby steps till I get off the training wheels again).

Mike Solli -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 4:03:15 PM)

quote:

quote:

And this is one of the reasons I will continue to play using one day turns.(Small baby steps till I get off the training wheels again).

You got off the training wheels??!! [X(]

Shark7 -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 5:12:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

quote:

You got off the training wheels??!! [X(]

I'm too afraid to take off the training wheels. I might fall down and get hurt. (IE Midway'ed in a big way) [X(]

Mike Solli -> RE: Tidbit (1/9/2009 5:16:22 PM)

Being paranoid is the way of the world for the Japanese. [:D]

Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI