Guns of August vs WW I (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold

Noypi53 -> Guns of August vs WW I (11/22/2008 8:42:36 AM)

I am looking for a WWI strategy game. Assuming that WWI can be "fixed" with patches in the near future (3 mos), how does it compare wtih Frank Hunter's Guns of August?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Noypi53

JudgeDredd -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/22/2008 11:21:55 AM)

I don't have WW1 but am looking forward to a future patched version.

I do however have Guns of August (or did...can't remember now, I may have passed it on). It was a great game, but imo suffered at the interface level. It was quite tedious to go through units for example. I loved the map and the counters and it played well, from what I recall.

Balthazar Gerards -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/22/2008 2:04:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noypi53
how does it compare wtih Frank Hunter's Guns of August?

Using a rockmusic analogy: GoA is more like the Ramones, Kinks or the Ventures where LGG is more like Yes, Genesis or Pink Floyd (post-Barrett).

06 Maestro -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/22/2008 2:37:41 PM)

GoA is much more streamlined than WW1. If you like games like WitP, and have an interest in the WW1 era, then you would like the new WW1. It is similar to GoA in its use of "phases", but in GoA, it is much more concise and clear-no overlapping of actions. If you want to be able to finish a whole game in a couple of days, then go with GoA.

GoA's simplicity is not a draw back. The naval aspects are a little bland, but functional. It is a well though out system, easy to play, and reasonably realistic. At this point, WW1 (game) naval aspects are a waste of time for me.

At this point in time, I cannot suggest that anyone buy WW1. I actualy have my game running smooth now, but there are many others that do not. They are making good progress in fixing the problems. If they keep this up, it may be good to go in a week or so-we shall see. The instructions aspect will have to be covered by the community for a while yet(self help).

The lack of a good manual realy detracts from this games value right now. I am restarting game after game now, not because of crashes, but because of my own mistakes (missing something important). Too bad, this is how you have to learn it at this point. Hopefully, the board game rules will help- I think it will.

BTW, this game will not take anywhere near as much time as WitP to play to completion.

sol_invictus -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/22/2008 2:39:43 PM)

Balthazar, if I may continue with your analogy, I would say that GOA is like The Cars on a weekend drunk while WWI is like Led Zeppelin on an acid trip.[X(] Choose your poison.[sm=00000436.gif]

Balthazar Gerards -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/22/2008 2:49:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arinvald
GOA is like The Cars on a weekend drunk while WWI is like Led Zeppelin on an acid trip.[X(] Choose your poison.[sm=00000436.gif]

I like both![&o]
Btw, I thought Led Zep were always on acid?

Dukemourn -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/23/2008 12:21:15 AM)

Geez..if WWI is like Pink Floyd I'll have to buy it right away.

PDiFolco -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/23/2008 8:36:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dukemourn

Geez..if WWI is like Pink Floyd I'll have to buy it right away.

Yeah that should be ..but for the moment it's a bit like the Floyds on rehearsal [:'(] [:D]!

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/23/2008 8:45:03 PM)

GOA until they get WWO up and running good for the majority of player.  Even though GOA is a good game.

Matto -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/24/2008 4:03:47 PM)

GOA has a good AI ... it is possible to play challenged game against AI ... don't know, how it is in WWI

06 Maestro -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (11/24/2008 6:08:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matto

GOA has a good AI ... it is possible to play challenged game against AI ... don't know, how it is in WWI

The GoA AI has very recently received a big boost. Patch 1.30 has bought about some significant change in its behavior-at least in the first few turns. The patch may still be a beta, but it is worth getting IMO.

The WW1 AI seems pretty good. I have not played beyond May '15 yet, but in 2 efforts to that point, the AI is giving me a hard time; flanking in Galacia, French in Brussels, very heavy French attacks into Colmar and Metz (actually took out the fortress in Metz and advance to the Rhine one time). Each major power has an option to pick one of 5 or six mobilization plans. From what I have seen, the AI handles them all pretty good. Now that the game is running in a usable fashion for me, maybe I will stand a chance against it. BTW, there is a slider adjustment for AI aggressiveness, so far, I have kept it in the mid range.

The AI of WW1 seems like it will be a very strong opponent.

Eddit: I should have also mentioned the habit of the British Marines showing up in Antwerp-very irritating..., but challenging (in WW1).

vinnie71 -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (12/3/2008 9:55:42 AM)

I own both games and they can't really be compared. Putting aside the issues which WWI presently has, the games have a different flavour. GoA is "freer" in the sense that one could literally create his plans at the very outset while WWI, one is tied down with the original plans + alternatives suggested at that time. But when WWI gets up to speed, it will be superior in the diplomatic, ground, naval, air aspects and the fact that generals and admirals have an effect in combat.

06 Maestro - just detach a corps plus the artillery from Liege and send them to Antwerp and bombard it into submission...

geozero -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (12/12/2008 5:33:09 PM)

These are the ugliest maps I've ever seen.  What might look good on a 5 year old's board game is not pretty on a PC screen.  [:D]

vonRocko -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (12/21/2008 2:27:33 PM)

The biggest difference is:
GOA - game runs problem free.Game can be completed.FUN!
Ageods WW1- bugs almost every turn.can't complete a full game.crashes.no manual.NO FUN

JastaV -> RE: Guns of August vs WW I (1/7/2009 11:01:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matto

I think WWI will share same AI level as other AGEod engine!
Whatever the difficulty level you try you get a victory in balanced scenarios.
Anyway some aspect of the AI are interesting in so far it can assume different gaming style.
Then PBEM is good, the routine is simple.

Anyway as others here pointed out it's impossible to write a sentence: at moment to many bugs, crashes, fatal errors occur per turn!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI