"The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

KG Erwin -> "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/5/2009 8:56:19 PM)

Dang it! I just read about this on The Pacific Fans Forum. Channel Seven (Brisbane, Australia) aired a trailer for the upcoming HBO miniseries, but it was pulled off the web yesterday. I didn't get to see it. [:(]

"The Pacific" is the followup to the hugely-successful "Band of Brothers", except this time we will follow the 1st Marine Division from Guadalcanal to Okinawa.

The series, produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg, is currently in post-production and is set to air on HBO later this year. The three main characters are John Basilone, Robert Leckie and Eugene Sledge, and the series follows them through the course of WWII in the Pacific. The scripts are partially based on the well-known books "Helmet For My Pillow" and "With the Old Breed..."

As a Gyrene fan, this will be my personal TV highlight of the year.

leastonh1 -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/5/2009 11:04:03 PM)

WOW!!!!! I've been waiting for this for a long time. Band of Brothers was exceptionally well done. That some of the men from Easy Company were consultants on the show and approved it, says a lot. A series I'd never get tired of watching. Very hard to watch, but completely immersive and compelling.

The interviews before each episode got me every time! Not much can bring me to tears, but those guys only had to look at the camera and I filled up.

Respect.

Erik Rutins -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 12:09:54 AM)

I will be watching every episode of this, guaranteed.

Arctic Blast -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 12:24:15 AM)

Definitely interested in checking this one out when it airs.

RyanCrierie -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 12:55:45 AM)

Not really interested. I don't want to see marine propaganda on my own time. Band of Brothers was bad enough with one oh worst propaganda. You wouldn't know it, but the US Army executed far more amphibious landings than the USMC in the PTO -- the marines just grabbed all the glory in the media and post-war.

leastonh1 -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 7:56:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

Not really interested. I don't want to see marine propaganda on my own time. Band of Brothers was bad enough with one oh worst propaganda. You wouldn't know it, but the US Army executed far more amphibious landings than the USMC in the PTO -- the marines just grabbed all the glory in the media and post-war.

I've heard pretty similar criticisms levelled at Ambrose for making his book read like America fought the war alone with a little help from everyone else.

I watched the series to try and get a lay person's understanding of what WWII must have been like, if that's even possible. There's never going to be 100% historical accuracy and I'm sure some would dismiss the whole series if they got one of the uniforms slightly wrong. In the end, it's a fictional series based on factual accounts, not a documentary. And that's how I viewed it. That Richard Winters et al were asked for help with details and dramatisation just means that it was more realistic than your average Hollywood movie.

Erik Rutins -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 12:52:21 PM)

quote:

I don't think there was any intention to pretend that the 101st was the only unit in the ETO. When you're following a single company within a division though, I don't see how you're going to get a picture of the war that doesn't focus on their perspective.

Personally, I'm extremely glad that we're getting any kind of work of this quality still being done on WWII.

Regards,

- Erik

JudgeDredd -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 1:43:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
...Personally, I'm extremely glad that we're getting any kind of work of this quality still being done on WWII.

Regards,

- Erik

100% absolutely agree.

I'm hoping Tom and Steven get together to remake some of the epics...A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, Battle of Britain. All 3 of those films are excellent and hold their own, but I'd love to see some of the cinematic effects Steven Spielberg has put into Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan.

Not gonna happen but I can hope.

As for the "one perspective" thing...I hear that alot and it really baffles me. The story isn't about how the Marines won the Pacific war...it's about following one unit through that war. Same with Band of Brothers...it was about one units experience in that war. In actual fact, it was about several members of 1 company...anyone who thinks the story was about a dozen men and how they won the war either need spanking or to be prevented from watching decent programs ever again.

ezzler -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 1:56:59 PM)

Have to agree. The criticism of saving Ryan from some in the UK that "the Brits weren't in it?" was unfair.
not sure too many commonwealth troops were on Omaha that day.
Same with BoB, which i don't much care for, but that's opinion. In what it sets out to portray, a company in WW2,and the individuals perspective, it does it well.

Marc von Martial -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 1:57:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

I don't think there was any intention to pretend that the 101st was the only unit in the ETO. When you're following a single company within a division though, I don't see how you're going to get a picture of the war that doesn't focus on their perspective.

Indeed, and I can not understand how one can call it propaganda, it is not glorifying war at all and it shows the personal sacrifices of the single soldier very well IMHO. Of course it needs it share of flashbang too, it is entertainment after all.

I do find the general "dumb Wehrmacht soldiers" attitude in the series battle scenes a tad annoying though.
I wonder how they will portrait the Japanese soldiers in the Pacific series [;)]

Marc von Martial -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 1:59:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Have to agree. The criticism of saving Ryan from some in the UK that "the Brits weren't in it?" was unfair.

I would love to see the BBC make a series about a UK company. Even more considering the high visuals and CG quality the BBC uses these days.

Marc von Martial -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 2:02:19 PM)

If you Google for "pacific hbo trailer" this thread is the third search result. LOL

JudgeDredd -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 2:17:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

I would love to see the BBC make a series about a UK company. Even more considering the high visuals and CG quality the BBC uses these days.

You've never actually watched Doctor Who, have you?? [:'(]

leastonh1 -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 2:21:05 PM)

quote:

Oh yes, that would be brilliant! I have the DVD of the Dunkirk dramatisation the BBC did a few years ago and it's excellent viewing.

Marc von Martial -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 2:24:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

quote:

Oh yes, that would be brilliant! I have the DVD of the Dunkirk dramatisation the BBC did a few years ago and it's excellent viewing.

Yep, got that one too. Indeed a good production.

leastonh1 -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 2:25:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

ROFL, I have! The last episode I watched had some shop mannequins coming to life and terrorising London. I laughed all the way through it. Corny. Hmmmm, perhaps we'd be better off asking HBO to do it instead? [:D]

Marc von Martial -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 2:26:09 PM)

quote:

If you mean the BBC series, then no.

Hanal -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 2:43:53 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed, and I can not understand how one can call it propaganda, it is not glorifying war at all and it shows the personal sacrifices of the single soldier very well IMHO. Of course it needs it share of flashbang too, it is entertainment after all.

I do find the general "dumb Wehrmacht soldiers" attitude in the series battle scenes a tad annoying though.
I wonder how they will portrait the Japanese soldiers in the Pacific series [;)]

Probably along the same lines as in Letters from Iwo Jima.....

sterckxe -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 5:36:10 PM)

quote:

I would love to see the BBC make a series about a UK company.

They did. Never seen Dad's Army ? [:D]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Terminus -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 5:49:40 PM)

It Ain't Half Hot Mom was another one...

Terminus -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 5:50:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

...Personally, I'm extremely glad that we're getting any kind of work of this quality still being done on WWII.

Regards,

- Erik

100% absolutely agree.

I'm hoping Tom and Steven get together to remake some of the epics...A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, Battle of Britain. All 3 of those films are excellent and hold their own, but I'd love to see some of the cinematic effects Steven Spielberg has put into Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan.

As for the "one perspective" thing...I hear that alot and it really baffles me. The story isn't about how the Marines won the Pacific war...it's about following one unit through that war. Same with Band of Brothers...it was about one units experience in that war. In actual fact, it was about several members of 1 company...anyone who thinks the story was about a dozen men and how they won the war either need spanking or to be prevented from watching decent programs ever again.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough with the <several expletives deleted> remakes.

Sarge -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 6:07:14 PM)

quote:

Band of Brothers was propaganda , USMC grabbing glory in the post WWII media ……….[8|]

Sarge -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 6:11:41 PM)

quote:

Intelligent humanitarians , count on it........[;)]

Jeffrey H. -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 7:30:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

Intelligent humanitarians , count on it........[;)]

Victims of the White Mans tryanny. Noble gentlemen on a quest to rid the far east of foreign influences. Citizens of a peace loving nation cornered into war by Western Imperialists.

Fred98 -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 9:24:57 PM)

quote:

Even more considering the high visuals and CG quality the BBC uses these days.

Belgium to Dunkirk to North Africa to Italy to Normandy to Arnhem to Berlin.

Such a project could be very good.
-

Silt -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 9:43:41 PM)

Hey guys,

As I was searching the web for information on The Pacific I found this thread and figured I would let you know the preview has been uploaded to Youtube again. It can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i57qn-NALM

The clip from The Pacific starts about 3 minutes into the video.

For anyone looking for more information on the mini-series I run a group on Facebook which currently has almost 500 members. I keep the group updated with just about any news I find on the series. There are also quite a few photos from the production as well as real life photos in the picture section. Anyway, feel free to join if you are on Facebook. Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2215747523

JudgeDredd -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 9:54:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

100% absolutely agree.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough with the <several expletives deleted> remakes.

They would do a good job, though. It's only Hollywood that screws it up!

andym -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 10:00:21 PM)

quote:

They would do a good job, though. It's only Hollywood that screws it up!

Just like the film about the Capture of the Enigma Machine off the U Boat?[:D][:D][:D]

KG Erwin -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 10:49:49 PM)

I managed to save the video segment, and I got chill bumps watching the promo, which shows the landing on Peleliu. One of the closeups shows the guy who plays Eugene "Sledgehammer" Sledge. It was his first amphib assault.

Now, as for the perspective, it is explained in my first posting above. It IS high time that the Marines of WWII got their due. I WILL say that "With the Marines at Tarawa" is one of the best short documentaries ever made, and it is easily found on the web.

As for Ryan C's comments, he apparently has a Eurocentric viewpoint of WWII.

Shoot, the USMC could exchange "Halls of Montezuma" with "I've Been Everywhere, Man". [:D]

leastonh1 -> RE: "The Pacific" Trailer Aired, Then Pulled (1/6/2009 11:11:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silt

Hey guys,

As I was searching the web for information on The Pacific I found this thread and figured I would let you know the preview has been uploaded to Youtube again. It can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i57qn-NALM

The clip from The Pacific starts about 3 minutes into the video.

For anyone looking for more information on the mini-series I run a group on Facebook which currently has almost 500 members. I keep the group updated with just about any news I find on the series. There are also quite a few photos from the production as well as real life photos in the picture section. Anyway, feel free to join if you are on Facebook. Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2215747523

You're a genius silt, I gave up looking for the trailer after an hour last night!

I'll be queuing to buy that on DVD. Wow. The trailer was well worth watching.

Is it out yet? Is it ready yet? [:'(]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI