RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (8/8/2009 6:52:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

If TOAW was to evolve a realistic “naval” capability, what characteristics would you find to be the most important? Name your top five.

It'll definitely take more than five.

Let's start with supply: item 5.15 (Discrete Supply) or something similar.
Then you've got to move stuff in ships: item 6.14 (Discrete Transport).
Need to distinguish between beaches and ports (item 2.10).
Then most of the stuff in the Naval Warfare section:
Start with letting air units be assigned to Naval Interdiction (item 9.1)
Automatic interdiction by coastal artillery and naval units (item 9.2)
Ability to form Task Forces (item 9.4)
Naval Targeting and priority (item 9.5)
Submarines (item 9.12)
Treating naval units like they were ships instead of land artillery that floats (item 9.15)
A mechanism specifically for conducting naval combat (item 9.16)
Handle line-of-sight detection of ships (item 9.18)

macgregor -> RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (8/8/2009 9:52:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
If anyone thinks that Norm developed TOAW "from scratch" or "by himself", they're mistaken. First of all it is filled with legacy code from earlier products like "Age of Rifles" and earlier. It's an archaic mismash of hand-me-down stuff that now gives Ralph fits. And while it was being developed, Norm had the help of a vast staff of folks at Talonsoft back in their prime. Poor Ralph just gets to pick over the leavings part time.

Fascinating... Poor Ralph. It's nice to know what's going on. Sorry if I caused a ruckus. What if it really is so arcane that it really benefits to be done from scratch?(or sections at any rate) I'm loath to appear as back-seat driver(though obviously not enough to refrain) since I have no programming skills, but I imagine you do and are involved. My thought is that if there's a team leader who has envisioned this final product in detail, he could delegate to other programmers specific tasks. Certainly there could be a way to negotiate some help from the TOAW community no? There appear to be programmers all over the place. A little proofreading and I'd think the game could be constructed in sections, not unlike a ship. The forum here, as well as Ralph's blog appears to wander adrift a bit however as if not really sure where to start, perhaps because all the while the primary task has been to map out the code. Regardless, we've been waiting for over 5 years now. Have we no right to be anxious? Forgive me for thinking that communication can solve everything, but I think at the very least, more communication is needed.

macgregor -> RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (8/8/2009 10:16:40 PM)

So then it's scrubbed?

[image]local://upfiles/10934/1DC4FB09FEA64E9F9795404A2F99D4ED.jpg[/image]

desert -> RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (8/8/2009 10:59:52 PM)

Here's an older thread with a few ideas about possible features of a naval engine.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1846034&mpage=1&key=&#1846121

golden delicious -> RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (8/9/2009 11:31:53 AM)

quote:

So, in other words, TOAW needs a Naval Warfare Engine.

There was no operational level campaign in the Pacific where there was a parallel naval contest. The nearest- Guadalcanal- saw the land battle taking place over about three 2.5km hexes.

One could certainly do more with a naval engine. However, I could also do with upgrading to a four bedroom detached house. We all have to live within our means.

golden delicious -> RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (8/9/2009 11:33:18 AM)

quote:

Let's start with supply: item 5.15 (Discrete Supply) or something similar.
Then you've got to move stuff in ships: item 6.14 (Discrete Transport).
Need to distinguish between beaches and ports (item 2.10).

Now we're getting somewhere. These all sound like excellent improvements for the whole system- whether or not we intend to take it further.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (8/9/2009 4:47:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

There was no operational level campaign in the Pacific where there was a parallel naval contest. The nearest- Guadalcanal- saw the land battle taking place over about three 2.5km hexes.

First of all, Guadalcanal is ~75km long (bigger than Okinawa) and the action ranged over about 60km of it (Taivu to Cape Esperance). And, due to the dense overgrowth, there would be no problem doing it at 1km/hex. You could do the entire Solomons at that scale.

Then you have Southwestern New Guinea. Distance from Port Morsby to Buna alone is at least 150km.

And those are just the campaigns where the naval contest was in doubt. Even when it's not in doubt you still need a naval engine if it is contested - take the Philipines, for example. The Japanese are completely inferior, but still throw lots of ships at the invaders - including BBs.

Finally, there's the whole thing. Not done at 100km/hex, but at something much smaller.

macgregor -> RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (8/9/2009 6:27:49 PM)

I've come to the conclusion that this TOAW IV game we envision is being designed from scratch independently from Matrix, and Golden Delicious is it's team leader secretly preparing to trump any Matrix release. Otherwise his comments here(and I've been reading them for many years) simply do not make sense to me.

jmlima -> RE: Scenarios WISH LIST (8/9/2009 8:44:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: macgregor

I've come to the conclusion that this TOAW IV game we envision is being designed from scratch independently from Matrix, ...

TOAW 4?

Yeah, a while after the patch for 3, and just after the release of Combined Arms... [:D]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI