RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (10/15/2009 5:26:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Does the description I linked to above sound ANYTHING like the TW series?

I don't see that as the outstanding issue. If the game plays as described, hallelujah! Given my experience with LGAA, however, there's no reason to ass-u-me that the new title will perform as advertised.[sm=Christo_pull_hair.gif]

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

killroyishere -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (10/15/2009 6:15:59 AM)

No battle of Waterloo?

quote:

•Comes with 10 historical battles including Haslach, Austerlitz, Eylau, Friedland, Campaign of Eckmul, Wagram, Moscowa (Borodino), Berezina, Hanau and La Rothiere

jackx -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (10/15/2009 6:53:17 AM)

Thankfully. The napoleonic wars consisted of more than the peninsular campaign and British squares at Waterloo.

Also, what does the TW series have to do with this? That series spawned two good napoleonic mods, and might give us a third, but the official efforts by CA should not even be mentioned here, IMHO, not in comparison to LG, and not with regard to the original topic of the thread - CA's clone trooper armies have less variation than old Airfix plastics.... ;P

(sorry if this post comes across as more hostile than intended, it was supposed to be light-hearted, but I fear the general atmosphere of the thread is rubbing off on it.)

killroyishere -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (10/15/2009 5:45:14 PM)

Well all wargames games nowadays are going to be compared to the glorious colossal stupendous Total War series jackx. if it doesn't have drop dead gorgeous graphics and plays real time battles out at the speed of light then well it's just a wannabe or hasbeen didn't you know that? [:'(]

jackx -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (10/15/2009 7:41:23 PM)

I see, so they're now the benchmark outside of mainstream as well. It's not like I don't like (and play) a couple of TW games/mods, I'd just never even compare them to wargames. And fancy graphics do nothing for me if they make historical settings look like fantasy games.

To bring this somewhat back towards LG/nap wargaming, as far as graphical features go, I'd much rather be able to tell apart units by colours and facings etc. than have them look like they just stepped out of a cheesy Hollywood movie.

V22 Osprey -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (10/16/2009 3:53:37 AM)

I knew you guys would take it personal.[:D]

You guys act like I'm de-grading wargames.I was just saying, that from the screenshots it didn't look like a wargame and the interface reminded me of E:TW.That's all I'm saying.

It's all good.[8D]

NefariousKoel -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (10/17/2009 8:02:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01

I may actually have to look into a Tiller Bundle to be honest since I really want depth as well.

I bought the Tiller bundle not too long ago and was pleasantly surprised. I had never picked those up, long ago, and they're probably the most fun Tiller games I've played. While the others were okay for a brief period at a time, this era seemed to fit the best by far.

As for the real-time Waterloo/Austerlitz games, I've not played those specifically. But back in '99 or so a buddy of mine bought Gettysburng & brought it over to my place and we went head-to-head on my LAN for the longest time. It was difficult to tear ourselves away. Single player was fun but seemed short lived.

Adraeth -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (10/17/2009 10:51:58 AM)

Personally i liked WNLB and ANGV and i play them both even now, i tested COG:EE and the tactical battles are REALLY well done, you have to pass through the strategical map to play those battles... and my hope is that the developers of COG:EE will make a specific tactical battle game using the engine in COG:EE full of map editor and oobs... this can be great [:)].

I think battleground games and horse and musket are awesome in multiplayer; sometimes in single player i do not like them too much (personal opinion) 

For comparison and questions about HistWar Les Grognards i invite you to post your thoughts in the battlefront forum http://www.battlefront.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=55 , by now i won't share my personal comments regarding critics on this title for i am in the beta test team (Montecuccoli in Battlefront and HistWar forum) but i will be glad to answer your questions in the proper forum [;)]

anklrd -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (10/28/2009 10:04:06 AM)

we generally play and admire TW games...[8|] its mods in fact not the vanilla.[:'(]

Napoleonic Total War2  which was a mod for the Rtw engine... http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=196
and now playing TROM (the Rights of Man) which is an Etw hosted mod... http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1186

...now waiting for Napoleonic Total War3 and LG which we expect both be the best Napoleonic Era games so far. [8D]

Hertston -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (11/5/2009 11:18:54 PM)

I'll drag this back up just to say that it seems BF have now 'cancelled' LG. The rather puerile fashion in which that has been presented on their boards suggests some sort of hissy-fit took place, but neither side is being forthcoming. The developer is still seeking, apparently, to release a demo this month and the game before Christmas distributed by some other means.

We await with baited breath. Or something..

NefariousKoel -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (11/5/2009 11:57:44 PM)

Bleh Battlefront.

I bought the physical copy of CMSF because the Paradox version didn't have the stupid phone-home activation on it like the official BF one did.   Then I did something stupid and bought the CMBB & CMAK $5 Vista/dx10 updates from them and guess what?  The patches have effing phone-home DRM on them.

Last BF purchase I make.   Same for anything from Stardock or whomever else decides to switch to this crap.

Adraeth -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (11/6/2009 8:39:15 AM)

I post here just because many of you are interested in the project i am working for named HistWar Les Grognards.

Due the informations that can be gathered by the former publisher i need to clarify that the game is done, we are debugging it for some minor bugs, it will be available around XMas but manual and demo will be available around the end of this month (November).

I apologize with Matrix Games for this report that might sound commercial (no commercial intended) but some misinformation lead to the understanding the game was over and deleted.

Thanks and for further questions please do not post here but contact me

In addition please do not flame concerning publisher decisions because in contracts there are publishers and developers and their respective wills... so no one is guilty for something there are only mutual decisions [:)]

NefariousKoel -> RE: Best Napoleonic era game that brings back miniature gaming feeling? (11/6/2009 8:53:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adraeth Montecuccoli

In addition please do not flame concerning publisher decisions because in contracts there are publishers and developers and their respective wills... so no one is guilty for something there are only mutual decisions [:)]

Oh, I certainly realize it's the publisher who decides DRM. That's why I slagged Battlefront (the publisher).

I think everyone has the right to know what kind of DRM the publisher has on software that a customer is considering as a purchase. Unfortunately, I was given no notification before I bought my last ones from them. So, yeah, I'll give them both barrels and perhaps more people will be aware of it.

Hopefully everything goes well for you despite my reservations.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI