v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support

Husky_MatrixForum -> v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 11:55:40 AM)

I updated from Beta to 1.00.84. Next turn ended with no problem. But then game crashed to desktop when processed the turn. Save attached. Please help.

Sonny II -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 1:56:38 PM)

Were you playing the Allied side? At what point did it crash?

Husky_MatrixForum -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 3:54:27 PM)

I am playing Japanese side. Game crashed at planing stage after "setting CAP over objective" message and before "withdrawing depleted air units" message when screen centered on China.

jhdeerslayer -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 3:59:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Husky

I am playing Japanese side. Game crashed at planing stage after "setting CAP over objective" message and before "withdrawing depleted air units" message when screen centered on China.

See my thread on CTD also. Mine is for the Allies but it CTD about the same point (CAP) in the AI execution.

Sonny II -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 7:21:59 PM)

Thanks for the tips.

Admiral DadMan -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 8:26:27 PM)

Please post which version you updated from.

jwilkerson -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 9:23:31 PM)

We have two programmers working on the several reported CTDs - unfortunately thus far we have not be able to reproduce any of them - we are still working to do so. There may be an obsure combination of switch settings that are involved, so please post your switch settings (game switch settings) if possible.

Husky_MatrixForum -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 9:44:30 PM)

I updated from beta 1.00.83c to 1.00.84. Then uninstall and updated from 1.00.79 to 1.00.84. Game CTD same place :(
Then at home I updated from 1.00.83c to 1.00.84 and all is fine :) No crashes using same save
I am happy :)
My home PC: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz/ 4096MB/ GeForce GTX 285/ Windows 7 64bit
PC where was CTD: Intel Core2 Duo 2.33GHz/ 4096MB/ Radeon X1950 GT/ Windows XP 32bit

My settings
" -fd –cpu4 –multiaudio -deepColor -altFont -dd_sw" for first PC
and
" -fd –cpu2 –multiaudio -deepColor -altFont" for second

jhdeerslayer -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 9:54:45 PM)

Interesting as my Vista PC at work ran my "bad file" no problem that my XP PC at home had a CTD on. Similar to Husky maybe. Both PC's use different switches too and I will report details later on switch settings.

Now that my Vista PC got past the CTD, I will try this file on my XP PC and see how it behaves after processing AI and saving on my Vista machine.

jhdeerslayer -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/11/2009 11:14:41 PM)

These are my switches for my offending XP machine:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -deepColor -cpu2 -dd_def

My switches for my functioning Vista machine:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -cpu2

I tried a few experiments on my XP machine. The one that did not cause a CTD was removing -deepColor and the others remain with no problem.

Maybe this will help.

Looks I can continue on for now without -deepcolor. I played for many, many hours without an issue until I went to 1.00.84.

Great game by the way!

My XP machine is a Intel Dual Core with Nvidia 9800GX2+. Video driver is up to date accept the driver that came out a few weeks ago. Let me know how else I can help.

TR Shrum -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 2:00:30 AM)

CTD problem also.  After downloading and installing I was only able to play two turns before CTD problem.  I'm playing the Allies and it's Aug 9, 1942.  I'm using NO switches on the Desktop Shortcut.  The basic game and the Beta worked just fine.  It's the "official" patch that is giving me the problem.

My system is as follows:
HP Pavilion Elite m9040n PC
Vista Home Premium
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

The CTD happens during the AI "Assign Cap" Phase right after the screen stopped on New Zealand "North Island" screen.

awadley -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 3:53:31 AM)

I also, updated from Beta 1.00.83c (had no problems under Beta) to 1.00.84 and got my first CTD error when I started the turn after reloading a save file. yesterday I updated the program and saved the turn, but did not run the turn. the program reported that the save file and database were updated OK.

A game started from the beginning is OK. When the game strated the setting of CAP the screen went black and the sound locked up. Unable to debug.

The CTD happens during the AI "Assign Cap" Phase right after the screen stopped on New Zealand "North Island" screen.

Alan Wadley

Panjack -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 4:07:18 AM)

I've had two ctd at about the same point: scenario 1, first turn, playing as allies, during (approx I think) the second round of attacks on the PoW and Repulse. I think I got some message about "planes diverting..." just the instant before the second crash.

Between that I ran one first turn without problems.

I updated from Beta 1.00.83c (had no problems) to 1.00.84

Vista Business (32-bit), on 2 core Intel laptop, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, -wd -cpu2 -dd_sw

Edit:
I don't have a save as the ctd occurred during the first turn. But the last file saved before the crash was Combatevents, which has the following lines at the very end:

COMBAT EVENTS FOR 12/07/41
BB Prince of Wales sinks....
No.700 Sqn FAA S-1 planes diverting to Singapore
No.700 Sqn FAA S-5 planes diverting to Singapore

Then the crash occurred.

Edit 2:
Additionally a file joperationsreport also appears in the save directory. Should this be here as it seems to give Japanese information, much of which seems very valuable to the allies! Is this indicative of some problem?

The file contents:
OPERATIONAL REPORT FOR Dec 07, 41

SS I-16 assigned to offensive patrol 224, 82 - 224, 79 off San Diego
SS I-18 assigned to offensive patrol 215, 68 - 214, 66 off San Francisco
SS I-20 assigned to offensive patrol 208, 55 - 207, 53 off Victoria
SS I-22 assigned to offensive patrol 222, 78 - 223, 79 off Los Angeles
SS I-24 assigned to offensive patrol 210, 60 - 208, 56 off Astoria
Coastwatcher Report: 3 ships in port at Kwangchowan
Coastwatcher sighting: 2 Allied ships at 77,61 near Hong Kong
SS I-121 lays minefield at Singapore - 50 , 84 and sets course for Takao
SS I-121 assigned to offensive patrol 69, 94 - 71, 92 off Tarakan
SS I-122 lays minefield at Singapore - 50 , 84 and sets course for Takao
SS I-122 assigned to offensive patrol 66, 97 - 65, 100 off Balikpapan
SS I-123 lays minefield near Balabac - 70 , 83 and sets course for Takao
SS I-123 assigned to offensive patrol 78, 94 - 82, 94 off Davao
E7K2 Alf reports object near surface at 103, 54 near Chinhae
E7K2 Alf sighting report: 2 Allied ships at 107,59 near Takamatsu, speed 19, Moving Southeast
F1M2 Pete sighting report: 2 Allied ships at 107,61 near Kobe, speed 18, Moving West
E7K2 Alf sighting report: 6 Allied ships at 111,53 near Toyama, speed 13, Moving Northwest
H6K4 Mavis sighting report: 9 Allied ships at 137,116 near Maloelap, speed 11, Moving West
F1M2 Pete sighting report: 2 Allied ships at 91,96 near Babeldaob, speed 17, Moving Southwest
E13A1 Jake reports possible submarine at 54, 73 near Patani
E13A1 Jake reports shadow in water at 54, 73 near Patani
E8N2 Dave reports object under water at 54, 73 near Patani
E7K2 Alf reports conning tower at 54, 73 near Patani
E7K2 Alf reports conning tower at 54, 73 near Patani
E7K2 Alf sighting report: 4 Allied ships at 83,67 near Hengchun, speed 18, Moving Southwest
E14Y1 Glen reports object under water at 180, 107 near Pearl Harbor

Walloc -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 4:36:10 AM)

I can add that for the first time i can remember i got CTDs too. Doing the first turn of a bran new scn 1 during the execution phase. I got no details on it other than it was during airmissions, as it came as a surprise. Ill look closer now.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

JeffroK -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 5:46:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: awadley

I also, updated from Beta 1.00.83c (had no problems under Beta) to 1.00.84 and got my first CTD error when I started the turn after reloading a save file. yesterday I updated the program and saved the turn, but did not run the turn. the program reported that the save file and database were updated OK.

A game started from the beginning is OK. When the game strated the setting of CAP the screen went black and the sound locked up. Unable to debug.

Alan Wadley

I also have the same problem as described by Alan, except I did not load the beta patches and went straight from vanilla to the official patch.

I thought I played a few turns straight away, not sure, but when I tried today got CTD at the same stage. Tried restarts, it seems to run 1 turn and crashes on the second turn.

11 mths of game down the gurgler!!

It allowed me to start a new scenario and this ran for 3 days with no problems.

Dont know how to attach a save file.

Here is the saved combat report
COMBAT EVENTS FOR 11/10/42

ADJUST TASK FORCE MISSIONS
CALCULATE RANGE TO ENEMY
CALCULATE AIR SUPERIORITY
ASSIGN COMPUTER CONTROLLED UNITS
Amphibious TF 2 unloading at Merauke
IDLE TF'S RELOCATE
ROUTINE AIR OPERATIONS
setting CAP over objective
withdrawing depleted air units
planning major raids
assigning bombers to transport duty
assigning night missions
ROUTINE AIR OPERATIONS COMPLETE
ROUTINE AIR OPERATIONS
withdrawing depleted air units
planning major raids
assigning bombers to transport duty
assigning night missions
ROUTINE AIR OPERATIONS COMPLETE
ROUTINE AIR OPERATIONS

michaelm75au -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 5:52:22 AM)

The common thread here seems to be that the CTDs are happening on multi-core machines.

JeffroK -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 5:58:18 AM)

Nope,

I was too embarrassed to list my clunker.

Vanilla WITP-AE ran on it OK though.

No special codes, just the basic game Scen 1 v AI

Rapunzel -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 7:00:52 AM)

My fresh started game crashes too.

michaelm75au -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 8:20:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

The common thread here seems to be that the CTDs are happening on multi-core machines.

For those who have multi-core machines, does removing the '-cpuX' switches to force it back to one cpu still CTD?

hbrsvl -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 1:53:08 PM)

Hi-I, too, have had several CTD. Playing Allies, update from the beta patch, game settings are the default from installation.

My CTDs occur when I go into a ship's screen to determine tonnage or other details. This does not occur ever time I hit a ship's screen. Perhaps this has something to do with individual ships?

Thought, please.

Thanks, Hugh Browne

Barneyrubb90 -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 2:46:50 PM)

Morning all,

Just had my first crash to desktop.  I am at 31 Aug 1942. Running Scenario 8 started with the Beta 1.083, I upgraded to the final patch yesterday around mid July and was able to make through almost 30 days of scenario before crashing this morning.  I executed several days this morning before the crash, just finished putting together multiple invasion groups at Pearl heading for Tarawa.

Running Windows Vista on a Dell Intel Core 2 Quad Core CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz with 4 GB RAM.

Switch settings
-cpu2 -multiaudio -dd_sw -fd

I have the pre-turn save file that I can forward if needed.  I am going to try transferring the file to my Mac to see if I can get past the error.

Thanks for the continued great support.

John

Barneyrubb90 -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 2:58:12 PM)

Michael,

You can see my settings above.

I removed the -cpu2 setting and ran the pre-turn save again and the system did not crash to the desktop.

Hope this helps.

John

Don_Oda -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 4:06:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Husky

exact the same problem

quote:

---please post your switch settings (game switch settings) if possible---

where is this 'game switch settings'-?
And how to switch this settings?

and yes... got a multi-core machine

invernomuto -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 6:54:59 PM)

First CDT for me also.
It occurred during combat animation (Sub torpedoed PoW near Singapore) in turn 2, scenario 1 (12/8/42).
My system spec:

Fujitsu siemens laptop
AMD turion X2
4 gb ram
Ati radeon Graphics card

switches used:
-SingleCpuOrders –cpu2 –multiaudio -altFont -deepColor -dd_sw

I'll try to remove some of them.

PS
I had no CDT with vanilla AE or with the beta patch...

Bye!!!

Crimguy -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/12/2009 7:29:19 PM)

I also just had my first CTD after upgrading from the .083 beta to .084.

I started a new campaign.  2 day turns.  I turned off the summaries and graphics for the game to allow it to go faster (i just downloaded the new WitP tracker and wanted to test it out).  Some time during the day 2 combat resolution I had the problem.

My shortcut's command string is as follows:
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -SingleCpuOrders

Running a C2Duo 6320, 2GB ram, Asus P5N-E SLI mobo, Geforce 8800GT.

jwilkerson -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/13/2009 2:43:21 AM)

Well I have tried and tried but I am unable to get 1084 to crash.

I have a DELL M1730 dual core with 4GIG RAM, so I am in the "dual core" club. If figure if I can make it crash, then we can fix the issue, so the challenge for you guys that can get it to crash is to help Joe make it crash on Joe's box.

Here is what I do.

01 - Clean install of original 1079 release into new folder.

02 - Install 1084 patch into this same folder.

03 - Run scenario 001 with no settings changes as human against Japanese AI (since I changed nothing - this is the default anyway).

So, clean fresh install, no changes to anything, no "switch settings" set, nothing else running, no crash.

Now, if the guys who are getting it to crash, can get it to crash under the above conditions then we should be able to generate a repeatable crash sequence and then we can solve it. But that is what we have to do to solve it. To date none of the programmers, nor myself (I am a programmer but I don't use myself in that role much on the AE project) have been able to get 1084 to crash, that is why we can't fix it.

So anyone who would like to help, give me a repeatable sequence I can follow to generate a crash and you will be helping the whole community by assisting in the resolution of this issue!!! [:)]

Barneyrubb90 -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/13/2009 3:36:55 AM)

As posted above removing the -CPU2 stopped my existing Allies vs AI Japan scenario started under Beta patch that started crashing this morning using the 1084 from crashing for 15 turns.

Shut down computer for dinner and watching some football, restarted and crashed first try, restarted and was able to run 4 more turns without a crash.

Since my crash seems much later seems like it will be difficult to analyze, I will continue playing until next crash and keep save files as best I can.

Taking out the -CPU2 switch has caused longer load time and greater delays (lags) during turn planning...likewise tomorrow may try to put the switch back in and see if the crash recurs, mine was a very intensive turn with lots of shipping leaving PH.

Thanks for continuing to work this...for now I am good.

Panjack -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/13/2009 4:58:53 AM)

Bingo...Got a crash after fresh install during the first turn of scn 1. And the crash happened exactly when it did the two other times: right after second round of attacks on Force Z.

Here's what I did:

uninstalled WITP-AE via control panel, deleted Matrix Games directory, rebooted, ran registry cleaning program, defragged hard drive
THEN
installed 1079, installed 1084,
THEN
ran program (from "quick start" shortcut and with NO switches), ran scn 1 as US with default settings
THEN
program CTD during first turn with no input from me (other than closing report boxes as they opened).

The last txt file saved was CombatEvents and, as previously the case, the last lines appended were:
"No.700 Sqn FAA S-1 planes diverting to Singapore
No.700 Sqn FAA S-5 planes diverting to Singapore"
then the CTD.

Dell Vostro 1500, Core 2 duo T7300, 2 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Kaspersky Internet Security 8.0.0.358 running as anti-virus.

Panjack -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/13/2009 5:15:54 AM)

Even better: CTD again but with a very clean system and the fresh install.

Vista Business. Closed all unnecessary Windows services and utilities, anti-virus, unneeded drivers.

Ran scn 1 again as before (using default settings with no switches, etc.) and got CTD. And, yet again, the last line in CombatEvents (last txt file saved before crash) was "No.700 Sqn FAA S-5 planes diverting to Singapore."

jwilkerson -> RE: v1.00.84 Crash to Desktop (9/13/2009 5:25:51 AM)

So are these two different computers - or the same one? Are both running VISTA?

I am running XP Pro.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI