Panzer General Fan (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia

H. Hoth -> Panzer General Fan (9/11/2009 10:10:12 PM)

I have bought many games from Matrix and enjoyed reading the forums, however it took a game like this for me to sign up and post something. I love WW2 turned based games and still fire up my ps1 to play PG and AG from time to time. I will download this game tonight while I will wait for TOW 1.60 to come out. If SSI is a company that has been defunct for over 10 years, why can't Matrix pick up the Panzer General franchise?

Obsolete -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/11/2009 10:25:29 PM)

Sierra has been defunct for quite some time too.  Would like to see Civil War General come back as well.

H. Hoth -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/11/2009 10:43:11 PM)

I think it would be a real treat to have Panzer General come back, I used to have Panzer General, Allied General and Pacific Gen all on one computer.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/11/2009 10:54:31 PM)

Welcome Mr Hoth. I always find it a little strange that someone buys games from a company and never posts on their forums. I can understand it for games which are not overly difficult...but strategy gaming (and the strategy/historical aspect) generally leads to some sort of posting habit.

Anyway, welcome and I have purchased also, being a big fan of PG and AG and they were both my entry to Strategy gaming.

H. Hoth -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/11/2009 11:09:02 PM)

Well yes and no.  Call it just being lazy, or just being a robot....oops better not start that!!!  I just enjoy reading everyone's postings because it reminds me not everyone thinks the same way......

junk2drive -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 3:10:08 PM)

Panzer General is owned by Ubisoft. Here is the latest version, a card game.

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=8092

vonRocko -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 3:37:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Panzer General is owned by Ubisoft. Here is the latest version, a card game.

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=8092

That game doesn't deserve the name.What a pity.

PoorOldSpike -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 3:55:36 PM)

This is the original popular SSI Panzer General game from the mid-1990's, there were several titles in the series and Op Barb reminds me of it.

[image][IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Competitons/PgeneralBox.jpg[/IMG][image]

There was a website about 3 years ago run by PG fans giving free downloads and updates, i visited it but couldn't get PG to run on my PC so I gave up, I dunno if the website is still around

Hanal -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 4:12:13 PM)

Panzer General II has/had one of the most active modding communities around and I still fire the game up from time to time....I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to PG2 mod sites here so I wont, but a simple GOOGLE search will yield the necessary results....

PoorOldSpike -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 4:20:23 PM)

Anyway Op Barb is better than PG so I don't think anybody'd want to go back to PG anyway

junk2drive -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 4:22:17 PM)

There was a link in a thread in the General Forum a while ago. Since Ubisoft still owns the rights, downloading their base game is possibly illegal. YMMV

edelweiss75 -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 5:12:18 PM)

Here's an interesting link:www.panzergeneral2.com/pg1.htm

Max 86 -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 5:37:43 PM)

You can get a free version of PG2 at JP's Panzers site or Steve Broen's PG site. A search for either will get you there. A complete download with all the scenarios and campaigns equipment files and everything.

Obsolete -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 7:28:57 PM)

PG2 still has a very active modding group.  In fact, that package is STILL being hacked almost on a daily basis, lol.

As for the new PG to be coming out, the fact it is labeled as an "arcade?" game instead of strategy worries me.  Also, is it true that this will only be released on xbox360?  Another terrible sign.....

Hanal -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 8:23:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poor Old Spike

Anyway Op Barb is better than PG so I don't think anybody'd want to go back to PG anyway

Sorry but you are wrong. On the surface, Op Barb should be a better game when you consider the fact that PG2 is a bit long in the tooth, but as noted already, the multitude of campaigns you can navigate through with PG2 still makes it a viable gaming experience

Arctic Blast -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 8:44:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

PG2 still has a very active modding group.  In fact, that package is STILL being hacked almost on a daily basis, lol.

As for the new PG to be coming out, the fact it is labeled as an "arcade?" game instead of strategy worries me.  Also, is it true that this will only be released on xbox360?  Another terrible sign.....

There was actually a Playstation version of the first Panzer General that worked quite well. Console doesn't necessarily equal evil, and can work well with a simple game engine like that of the 5 Star General series.

And one note about the modding community : the campaigns they're working on are good. They are also often EXTREMELY difficult, especially compared to the regular ones, because they're developing them to be played by others like them...those who have been playing custom PG2 campaigns for the past 8 years.

SeaMonkey -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 9:28:46 PM)

Here we go again, another "clone" that barely exceeds its former original base or any of like genre, how come this is? Just like CEAW, RtV/ToW, none of these games are the expected quantum leap forward that I as a gamer would deem as progress, I just don't get it. Sure there are some interesting innovated features, but overall, more disappointment...at least for the initial release.

Games like GG's WaW and of course the most excellent Panther series of Airborne Assault editions have a completely new basis for play and are in constant evolution, am I spoiled by these releases and the further polished expansions of SC? Does getting older mean automatic cynicism, are my standards to high, is my time running out, the money is no big deal, so what is it?

I was really hoping for more.[:(]

Erik Rutins -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 10:01:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey
Here we go again, another "clone" that barely exceeds its former original base or any of like genre, how come this is? Just like CEAW, RtV/ToW, none of these games are the expected quantum leap forward that I as a gamer would deem as progress, I just don't get it. Sure there are some interesting innovated features, but overall, more disappointment...at least for the initial release.

Are you speaking from the experience of playing Operation Barbarossa or are you looking in from the sidelines? What do you see CEAW and TOW as clones of?

I will comment on the basic question regardless though. One important thing to consider when a game revisits previous ground, like Operation Barbarossa has, is prior vs. current resources. I think Operation Barbarossa is a great first offering and the gameplay and content is well worth the price. Expecting it to immediately exceed the standard set by a series (Panzer General) that was made as a "AAA" title of its day and whose content was expanded on with sequels seems unrealistic to me. I think it meets the bar set by the original and will improve further if the series continues.

I guess the question I would pose to the community is "Do you want to support an active 'Panzer General' style series that you can have input into as far as current support and future development?". If the answer is yes, then jump in. If no, then I guess your decision is made.

Regards,

- Erik

SeaMonkey -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 10:46:11 PM)

Yes Erik, I'm speaking from experience, which of course is relative to the human life expectancy.  CEAW/ToW = 3rd Reich/CoS in my mind, grand strategy WW2 style.  Look Erik, I'm OK supporting capitalism, but I want quality, I don't want a Model T in the 21st Century, I'm nostalgic, but I'm not shortsighted, I expect things to get better barring a cataclysmic event.

I run a business and I'll be the first to admit, things are not getting more efficient, the whole conduction of business is expotentially getting more complicated, guess who pays for that?  I, as the consumer of this trumped up complication, am getting damn tired of undermining what I know should be a slow metamorphosis to better.  Now that I've been around for awhile its not difficult for my eye to catch inferiority, there's a lot of it going around, not to be mistaken for improvisation or innovation is not easy, but you do not have a crystal ball and neither do I.

I would hope that this developer hangs in there with this product and fulfills us consumers' expectations, but I've seen too many cut and run, so what do you think....."community"?  Will this be another one shot, wannabe, or can it truly fill the large imprint that the Panzer General series left?

I for one, am skeptical![&:]  

PoorOldSpike -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 11:21:28 PM)

POS quote-Anyway Op Barb is better than PG so I don't think anybody'd want to go back to PG anyway

JPFalcon quote- Sorry but you are wrong. On the surface, Op Barb should be a better game when you consider the fact that PG2 is a bit long in the tooth, but as noted already, the multitude of campaigns you can navigate through with PG2 still makes it a viable gaming experience
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As i said earlier, I tried to get PG working but the glitches beat me and i gave up, so in my book its just a 15-year-old game that went out with the dinosaurs..;)

Adam Parker -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 11:28:57 PM)

quote:

Anyway Op Barb is better than PG ...

Why?

Where have you established this in your FGM reveiw?

quote:

... so I don't think anybody'd want to go back to PG anyway.

Where did you get that from?

People who bought this game did so because they in part or in the main thought it would bring PG back to their PC's. I didn't buy it for Ogre or the 3D art or the reduced number of scenarios or the lame AI.

I wanted to run a long, entwined, grow my elite units Panzer General campaign on the East Front.

PoorOldSpike -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 11:36:43 PM)

Adam P quote- I didn't buy it for Ogre or the 3D art or the reduced number of scenarios or the lame AI.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, so you haven't actually bought or played Op Barb?
So how will you know if it's any better or worse than PG?

Wolfe1759 -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 11:37:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey

Games like GG's WaW and of course the most excellent Panther series of Airborne Assault editions have a completely new basis for play and are in constant evolution, am I spoiled by these releases and the further polished expansions of SC? Does getting older mean automatic cynicism, are my standards to high, is my time running out, the money is no big deal, so what is it?

I was really hoping for more.[:(]

From my experience so far (all of 3 days) of Op Barb I have to disagree with this

Over the last 24 hours I've played a version of PG2 and dug out my 10 year old copy of the PS1 version of PG just to see what they were like in comparrison and I much prefer Op Barb.

Why?

1. A lot nicer graphics - the 3D style is starting to grow on me

2. It works out of the "box" on Vista - therefore no messing around trying to get it to work on my system

3. For me it doesn't have to be a "quantum leap forward" as long as it is a fun playable game that I enjoy - if its not broken don't fix it.

4. As a newly released and supported game I think it has a lot of potential to grow. Having had a brief look at the included editor it could even be something a technical incompetant such as myself could have a go at designing scenarios.

As for CEAW and ToW I disagree as well but thats for a different forum.

Overall I'm happy that I'll get my moneys worth out of the game as it stands and then then there is the potential that it offers once people (and possibly even I) start making use of its editor to create new scenarios and campaigns. On top of that I'm pretty confident that it is going to be supported and patched where neccesary to improve it as has been my experience with all the Matrix games I allready own.

Time will tell [:)]

P.S. I also think the OGRE issue is a non-issue, as far as I know War in the Pacific uses an engine called Pixie and John Tillers games one called Hobbit, its just that the setup options appear in a different format within the games. I played around with the settings for a bit (without to be honest any idea of what I was really doing) and have now got something which works for me. It might be an idea for the devs to do a sticky on what OGRE is though.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 11:47:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
I wanted to run a long, entwined, grow my elite units Panzer General campaign on the East Front.

This is exactly what I've done multiple times with Operation Barbarossa. I'm sorry it does not meet your expectations in this regard.

Adam Parker -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/12/2009 11:59:10 PM)

quote:

I didn't buy it for Ogre or the 3D art or the reduced number of scenarios or the lame AI.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, so you haven't actually bought or played Op Barb?
So how will you know if it's any better or worse than PG?

Hi Spike. I bought this game on day 1. I wrote a whole "First Impressions" thing here, ehem...

Are you spamming? [:-]

PoorOldSpike -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/13/2009 12:11:32 AM)

Adam Parker quote- Are you spamming? [:-]
--------------------------------------------

I've only started one thread in this forum mate, you've started four..[8|]

Adam Parker -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/13/2009 12:19:08 AM)

I bought 3 matrix games these past weeks - how about you?

Btw you've got to learn to use the quote functions of the forum to assist reading your posts.

Bye [sm=00000028.gif]

Hanal -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/13/2009 12:24:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

There was actually a Playstation version of the first Panzer General that worked quite well. Console doesn't necessarily equal evil, and can work well with a simple game engine like that of the 5 Star General series.

And one note about the modding community : the campaigns they're working on are good. They are also often EXTREMELY difficult, especially compared to the regular ones, because they're developing them to be played by others like them...those who have been playing custom PG2 campaigns for the past 8 years.

The first Panzer General came out on the 3DO gaming console many moons ago, and it was the main reason I bought a 3DO, as PG I was only available as a DOS pc game at the time....

Obsolete -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/13/2009 1:22:33 AM)

quote:

How does one GROW elite units differently in PG? 

Rosseau -> RE: Panzer General Fan (9/13/2009 6:04:03 AM)

Gotta agree with Wolfe that Op Barb is way ahead of the PG Series. In addition, the final PGII installment "Scorched Earth" had good graphics but did not allow the creation of campaigns. As Spike mentioned in his review, given the time and motivation, you can create a 200-scenario campaign covering four years on the Eastern Front.

Also cool that you can specify four "sides" to each scenario. For example, I was attacking as the Germans against the AI Russians. Created a third AI side (Romanians) to defend my objectives and a fourth AI side as "Russian Guards" with an aggressive attack AI. It gave the typical attack/defend scenario a lot more ebb and flow.

And yes, it resembles CEAW and Napoleon, but I just could not get into those games for whatever reason.

After modding HOI3 non-stop for three weeks straight, Op Barb provides a welcome diversion. Both games are more than worth the $35 or so. And if you're not a stickler for historical outcomes and like to tinker, HOI3 is just incredible...

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI