RE: Da Babes Mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

drw61 -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/2/2009 4:33:41 AM)

Thanks for the update, as for "patience" I think I'll need to look that word up.... [:D]

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: drw61
Don / JWE
Just wondering if Da Babes Mod light version will be ready by the time patch 2 (final version) is available.
No pressure, just wanting to start a new game with patch 2 but not wanting to go through Dec41/Jan42 multiple times.

Thanks, Daryl

No. There are quite a few changes. Have to wait. We have to understand and accommodate the code changes and the data changes before anything can be done. We have to tweak a stable data set, so we have to wait till the data set is stable.

You don't want a Babes mod that is incompatible with the base game, and neither do we. We want the Babes 'light' to be a seamless drop-in to AE stock; thus, we have to understand AE stock. Patience.

oldman45 -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/2/2009 5:37:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: drw61
Don / JWE
Just wondering if Da Babes Mod light version will be ready by the time patch 2 (final version) is available.
No pressure, just wanting to start a new game with patch 2 but not wanting to go through Dec41/Jan42 multiple times.

Thanks, Daryl

No. There are quite a few changes. Have to wait. We have to understand and accommodate the code changes and the data changes before anything can be done. We have to tweak a stable data set, so we have to wait till the data set is stable.

You don't want a Babes mod that is incompatible with the base game, and neither do we. We want the Babes 'light' to be a seamless drop-in to AE stock; thus, we have to understand AE stock. Patience.

I was really encouraged with Andy Mac's offer to put together an AI routine for the Mod. Is this still in the works?

Would there need to be changes to the AI if you just used the ships and drydocks?

JWE -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/2/2009 7:52:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45
quote:

I was really encouraged with Andy Mac's offer to put together an AI routine for the Mod. Is this still in the works?

Would there need to be changes to the AI if you just used the ships and drydocks?

Da Babes is conceptual, as well as an expansion. Changes are being made to the Device, and Location files, as well as to Classes and Ships.

Changes (lite version) to the land elements are to the Devices and TOEs only. No changes to the OOBs. This is to conform the land elements to the original concept of relative AVs, firepower, and load costs. Since OOB items remain in the same place, the stock AI files will be quite suitable.

Changes (full version) to the land elements are significant and extensive. Once Andy sees them, he may not wish to to put together an AI routine. If he does, it will likely come out many weeks behind the full version release.

If things work as anticipated, there are 3 ways to implement the mod:

1) copy scen001 to a slot of your choice and replace the Class (wpc) and Ship (wps) files with Da Babes wpc and wps. Play normally, using all 12 AI files. What you get is just more toys to play with.

2) copy scen001 to a slot of your choice and replace the Class (wpc), Ship (wps), Device (wpd), and Locations (wpl) files with Da Babes (lite) wpc, wps, wpd, and wpl. Play normally, using all 12 AI files. This version will give a very different "feel" to several aspects of the game: land combat, load/unload schedules, you name it.

3) copy scen001 to a slot of your choice and replace the Class (wpc), Ship (wps), Device (wpd), and Locations (wpl) files with Da Babes (full) wpc, wps, wpd, and wpl. Maybe (we think) aeixxx-01 through 06 will work acceptably. Maybe not. If Andy will do a script set, cool. If not, equally cool. This is the full boogie grog version and really should be played PBEM or H2H.

Buck Beach -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/2/2009 8:36:38 PM)

Love it, love it, love it.

What the hell is a boogie grog[&:]

oldman45 -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/2/2009 8:47:04 PM)

Thanks, I am looking forward to the drydocks, even if I have to pull that half way around the world [:)]

Andy Mac -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/2/2009 8:54:03 PM)

If it works for one AI script it will work for them all but you may get some weird results I need to look at the list of changes to see how hard its going to be to adapt for the AI

Andy

JWE -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/2/2009 9:17:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac
If it works for one AI script it will work for them all but you may get some weird results I need to look at the list of changes to see how hard its going to be to adapt for the AI

Andy

"Lite" versions should work ok. Tested ok, but like everything else, gets AI weird in mid '44. "Full" version will have you barfing haggis, and turn you Irish. We'll send them on, but once you see them, if you decide you don't want to touch them with an 9 foot Lithuanian, that's totally cool.

oldman45 -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/4/2009 8:35:20 AM)

Going back to the drydocks, I was wondering if there is a way to use them to fix hull damage a yard can't (size) but leave the damage that you would need a real ship yard to do. Ex, you take a torp which causes major hull and engineering damage. You put it into the dry dock to do "emergency" repairs on the hull then send it Pearl or where ever for the engineering repairs.

This way you have a dock in Perth with its 10k yard and you pull in with a BB. The yard cannot fix the BB but the dock can handle it so you do your hull repairs and send the ship to Capetown for the rest of the work. Is the game smart enough to understand this?

Maybe add one more catagory on the repair screen that is greyed out if there is no dock or the dock is too small.

JWE -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/4/2009 8:19:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45
Going back to the drydocks, I was wondering if there is a way to use them to fix hull damage a yard can't (size) but leave the damage that you would need a real ship yard to do. Ex, you take a torp which causes major hull and engineering damage. You put it into the dry dock to do "emergency" repairs on the hull then send it Pearl or where ever for the engineering repairs.

This way you have a dock in Perth with its 10k yard and you pull in with a BB. The yard cannot fix the BB but the dock can handle it so you do your hull repairs and send the ship to Capetown for the rest of the work.

That's exactly what they are supposed to do. The paradigm says a 'floating dock' can lift a 'size' and fix major (underwater) damage. It can't fix turrets or radars, or any of that stuff. Unless, of course, there's an AR or a bunch of NavSup in the base hex.
quote:

Is the game smart enough to understand this?

Of course not.
quote:

Maybe add one more catagory on the repair screen that is greyed out if there is no dock or the dock is too small.

Code is closed. This is an after-market enhancement for serious PBEM grogs.

Don Bowen -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/5/2009 6:11:58 PM)

So, when it is ready, does anyone have a recommendation on where to host it?

cantona2 -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/5/2009 9:23:50 PM)

Spooky's?

Buck Beach -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/6/2009 2:30:23 PM)

In the vanilla game, I don't see any Canadian merchants on the North American west coast to service her 4 coast port cities. I hope you found some to include in "Da Babes".

Buck Beach -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/9/2009 6:42:19 PM)

From the Air Issues thread:

" (timtom) However it is recognised that the PBY ought to be able to reach PH (it's a hex short IIRC). Fear not, I'll suitably chastice the dumbo responsible.

(Buck) I don't understand. Did you mean to have it be changed so they will reach Pearl Harbor or not? As of Patch 2 they still don't reach.

(timtom) Too late to action for patch 2, sorry. Not a small thing as ALL transfer ranges has to be recomputed to avoid given any particular a/c an arbitrary advantage. It will be sorted for patch 3."

Is there any chance to get these range changes incorporated into Da Babes when it comes out? Six months till Patch 3 is a long time to wait, and then still they would have to be changed in Da Babes at that point.

JWE -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/9/2009 8:01:29 PM)

quote:

Is there any chance to get these range changes incorporated into Da Babes when it comes out? Six months till Patch 3 is a long time to wait, and then still they would have to be changed in Da Babes at that point.

Likely not. There are some few areas where we ain't shy about making changes. But airplanes isn't one of them. We use the Elf/Thomas paradigm because their little fingers have forgotten more about airplanes than we have ever known.

I'll pose the question, and see what Thomas says, and maybe da Babes can anticipate patch-3 somewhat, but what the Air folks say is gonna have to be the Gospel according to Saint Elf, far as we are concerned.

Sorry Buck. Way out of our league on this one.

Buck Beach -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/13/2009 12:38:55 AM)

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Sorry with all the hostilities on the board, this is my pathetic attempt at humor. Seriously, not looking for an answer to the above. Please disregard.

Don Bowen -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/13/2009 12:47:29 AM)

quote:

Sorry with all the hostilities on the board, this is my pathetic attempt at humor. Seriously, not looking for an answer to the above. Please disregard.

I am currently pestering John about Canadian West Coast Merchants which someone suggested - probably to slow down release.

akdreemer -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/13/2009 8:20:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

I could mirror it also if needed.

Dixie -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/13/2009 10:31:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlaskanWarrior

quote:

I could mirror it also if needed.

I've got plenty of spare space available as well.

RyanCrierie -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/14/2009 6:25:40 AM)

I can mirror it as well.

JWE -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/15/2009 6:48:44 PM)

quote:

Pretty much. Just a very few last minute tweaks on da Babes Lite.

RogueUSMC has graciously offered to host the mod. We do not want to have to do rev after rev after rev (and Rogue wouldn't appreciate it either), so we want it to be tight from the get-go.

Have a Beta-Preview available. A scenario set (with full instructions) and an Art drop-in set. Available only by sending a pm or email with a valid email return address. Will address individual beta-preview concerns, but only for a limited time, so look deep. Once we go 'live', the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune begin to take on a darker aspect.

Just a teensy weensy bit of patience. A few days.

Ciao. J&D

Don Bowen -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/15/2009 7:55:22 PM)

quote:

quote:

Pretty much. Just a very few last minute tweaks on da Babes Lite.

RogueUSMC has graciously offered to host the mod. We do not want to have to do rev after rev after rev (and Rogue wouldn't appreciate it either), so we want it to be tight from the get-go.

Have a Beta-Preview available. A scenario set (with full instructions) and an Art drop-in set. Available only by sending a pm or email with a valid email return address. Will address individual beta-preview concerns, but only for a limited time, so look deep. Once we go 'live', the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune begin to take on a darker aspect.

Just a teensy weensy bit of patience. A few days.

Ciao. J&D

Patience is not the only virtue that I lack.

Terminus -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/15/2009 8:11:50 PM)

It's not?[;)]

JWE -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/15/2009 8:49:15 PM)

quote:

Patience is not the only virtue that I lack.

Don may, perhaps, lack certain virtues, but he is, after all the father, of Don's Babies.

The rest uf us may lack certain virtues, as well, but we are just midwives to what must be viewed as a Don Bowen masterpiece.

Personally, I am in awe of this man's dedication to truth and accuracy.

Don Bowen -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/15/2009 9:56:43 PM)

Aw gee, you flatter me! But not enough to disuade me from asking for: http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/49/49033.htm

Don Bowen -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/15/2009 10:19:20 PM)

In case you all have not yet guessed it, John is the true master of the mod. I can dig up a ship name from some obscure reference and gleefully chortle "Oh Look, a ship, a ship!". But John is the one that merges it into the OOB, determines what class is should be and what attributes, provides the artwork, and (sometimes) tells me "now that one is really too insignificant".

Buck Beach -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/17/2009 6:33:37 AM)

quote:

In case you all have not yet guessed it, John is the true master of the mod. I can dig up a ship name from some obscure reference and gleefully chortle "Oh Look, a ship, a ship!". But John is the one that merges it into the OOB, determines what class is should be and what attributes, provides the artwork, and (sometimes) tells me "now that one is really too insignificant".

Well got it and looking it over. Not surprised it did not contain more than a few of the tub of ships I have discovered over the last several months, but, I am still scanning it so others may show up. This does not disappoint me in the least because after all the stuff quits hitting the fan in the regular game, I will tweak and include everything but the kitchen sink to the Da_Babes to my hearts content.

I would like to know the changes made to the devices and the locations to get a head start with my changes. Also there was some talk about trying to add some sort of adhoc or otherwise change Naval Base Force TOE to provide maybe some generic Naval Support to assist in loading and unloading ships at those bases not having any Naval Support. Was this new aspect left out as not feasible or for other reason (or is in there and I just haven't discovered it yet)?

Kitakami -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/17/2009 12:35:17 PM)

Going through the IJN ship class database... looks VERY interesting... adds a few options, and a little breathing room in some aspects... so far I love what I see :)

JWE -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/17/2009 2:21:22 PM)

quote:

Well got it and looking it over. Not surprised it did not contain more than a few of the tub of ships I have discovered over the last several months, but, I am still scanning it so others may show up. This does not disappoint me in the least because after all the stuff quits hitting the fan in the regular game, I will tweak and include everything but the kitchen sink to the Da_Babes to my hearts content.

I would like to know the changes made to the devices and the locations to get a head start with my changes. Also there was some talk about trying to add some sort of adhoc or otherwise change Naval Base Force TOE to provide maybe some generic Naval Support to assist in loading and unloading ships at those bases not having any Naval Support. Was this new aspect left out as not feasible or for other reason (or is in there and I just haven't discovered it yet)?

Yes, some are there, some are not. Decided not to include them all because the majority came-and-went and were only around for a limited period, and we didn’t want to add to the withdrawal pain. 20 ships that were around an average of 6 months each is equivalent to 2.5 ships available in-game for the entire 48 month war period. I think we finally settled on 5 or 6 to keep headroom for sinkings and adjusted cargo cap so it all comes out in the wash.

If we included all the ships you found, we found, Keregurelen found, we would have ended up having to account for over 300 ship withdrawals. That was too scary even for me. Had to draw the line somewhere. But as you say, Editor City. [;)]

This is the Lite version. Playable with the standard Scen001 AI. Vast changes to BFs, HQs, Eng LCUs, organization and distribution of NavSup is in the Full version; coming soon.

Changes made to Device load costs to bring them closer to the original paradigm. Changes to LCUs were to TOEs only, to account for the LC changes, and again bring things closer to the original paradigm. No LCU slots were changed in order not to disturb the AI unduly.

Don Bowen -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/17/2009 3:44:51 PM)

All right, all you Da Babes level historians - I am looking for detailed data on two small ships that were (at least partially) converted to tankers:

George F Downey was a World War I Laker, converted to a tanker and used by the US Army to move fuel to and around the Alaskan sector.
Nootka was a Canadian built ship, also on the Great Lakes, converted to carry some fuel and used by the British Columbia Coastal Service to support West Coast ports.

I am looking for ship's fuel and endurance, cargo capacities (liquid and bulk) and any armament data. Can you help?

Don Bowen -> RE: Da Babes Mod (12/17/2009 4:06:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

As John points out, there are a couple of problems with including every ship that can be verified to have been in the Pacific at a certain date and time.

First of course is world wide movement. A ship might touch at a Pacific Port, then move back to the Atlantic, US West/Gulf Coast, England, Africa, then maybe an Indian Port, then do it all over again. This has been attacked since PacWar days by averaging out the ships in theatre. If 10 ships each spent some portion of their time in the Pacific, put one or two of them in and exclude the rest. Back in CHS days, when we did not have ship withdrawals, we tended to put in ships that were in the Pacific during some specific event. Ships present on December 7th if possible, or those that had some role during some campaign or another. And of course those that were lost. AE gave us ship withdrawals and returns, but only one time per ship. We have data on some ships that made several cruises into the Pacific, then right back out. Don't have the controls for this and it would not aid playability if we were to put them in. So, once again, we do averaging. That means that one can examine the database and find ships that are in that can be verified to be somewhere else at that time and ships that were in the Pacific at a specific time but are not in the OOB. I don't think anything can be done about this until some poor fool attempts to write a whole-earth World War II game.

Another issue is classing and art. Many small and interesting onsie-twosie ships might be included, but each requires a separate class and artwork. Lots of work for very little benefit. Sometimes we generalize classes - standard pacific tramp freighters in small, medium, and large for instance. Many other times we just leave them out. John and I constantly work at the boundaries of put-in/leave-out for this ship and that (currently Kaula).

And of course there is playability. Does it really help to put in a dozen coastal passenger ships that moved passengers and cargo in the Vancouver-Victoria-Tacoma triangle route? At some point even I think the detail becomes too much and playability suffers (and that is saying something!). Again, a sample here and there seems a good idea. But once again, one can find ships that were in the Pacific but are not in the OOB.

Incidentally, I too am going to take the final "babes" and make my own mod with still more detail. Only mad dogs and fools like me would ever want to play it.

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI