Question about Close Combat. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

RyanCrierie -> Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 8:24:38 AM)

Many Many Moons ago, I picked up Close Combat 3 from a store. Since then, a lot of CC games have come and gone; and I find myself staring at Matrix's holiday sale; with:

Cross of Iron
Wacht am Rhein
The Longest Day
Modern Tactics

available.

So I'm sort of conflicted over which ones to get.

The little voice in me says "get cross of iron!" but the other little voice also says:

"Remember how you always managed to fight across the same area over and over in a huge grand campaign in CC3?"

Now I realize this is not a problem with more "focused" games like TLD and WAR; since they just focus on specific areas, instead of trying to take in the entire russian front like CC3.

Also, a mod question. I see that Cross of Iron has the most mods available for it; but it doesn't have the features found in newer games like TLD....

I'm so conflicted! [:'(]

RyanCrierie -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 8:37:09 AM)

It would be an easier choice to make if the CC games were capable of seamless integration, like Thirdwire's flight sims.

For example, if you bought their games, and you installed them in the following order

Strike Fighters 2
Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam
Strike Fighters 2 Europe
Strike Fighters 2 Israel

You would get them installed in a merged installation in a single folder C:\StrikeFighters2; with all the flyable planes, campaigns, and maps available in one executable, allowing you to fly in a series of campaigns ranging from Cold War Europe, Air War Vietnam, Israeli Wars, and a hypothetical mercenary campaign in a hypothetical middle eastern country (Shades of Strike Commander anyone?).

It was so addictive that my last Strike Fighters 1 (the old version) folder was like 20 GB [X(]

Is it possible something like that could be done for the Matrix CC series in the future?

GoodGuy -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 8:59:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

Cross of Iron
Wacht am Rhein
The Longest Day
Modern Tactics

Although I don't own The Longest Day (I bought Wacht am Rhein), I'd still recommend TLD, as it contains neat new features (night battles, flare effects, simplified/enhanced modability, AI improvments). Wacht am Rhein left me with some mixed feelings, even though it's anything than a bad installment of the series. I'm a fan of the original installments, like A Bridge too far etc., but I had stopped buying them after the East front version (CC3?), I think.

NefariousKoel -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 9:20:11 AM)

quote:

"Remember how you always managed to fight across the same area over and over in a huge grand campaign in CC3?"

Yes. The fanboys would likely have an aneurism if we were to mention it. Hush hush. Be vewy quiet. No offal to see here, move along.

btw.. the normandy and bulge versions had a relatively dynamic campaing. You'll still be fighting over the same ground but there's more flexibility in what & where you move strategically. I dunno what the new versions of CC4 & CC5 are called here.

killroyishere -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 10:09:01 AM)

How you guys can see those microscopic sprites in this series is beyond me. If there were a zoom-in feature now I might could get into this. I need at least 1/2 inch or better sized icons or animations to see it.

GoodGuy -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 10:21:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

How you guys can see those microscopic sprites in this series is beyond me. If there were a zoom-in feature now I might could get into this. I need at least 1/2 inch or better sized icons or animations to see it.

There's a mod replacing the original soldier sprites (so they appear even smaller, but more realistic compared to the size of the vehicles), but maybe someone created a mod with even bigger soldier sprites, i don't know. The size of the sprites never bothered me. The fact that maps and sprites are rather pixelated bothered me more, tbh. I wish there would be some more eye-candy in the WW2 installments, maybe like the stuff present in the Modern Tactics or Marines version.

killroyishere -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 11:53:06 AM)

Lol that's all I need is a mod to make the sprites even smaller, but, I know what you meant. [:)] Don't know why everything is getting smaller (looks down) [8|] as I get older?[:(]

milkweg -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 12:43:50 PM)

Get a bigger monitor to solve your issue. I just ordered the HansG 28" 1900x1200 from newegg because my eyes have problems with some games too. It's really a 27.5 screen but is still a good deal for gamers. It's $259.99 USD at newegg.com and $299.99 CAD at newegg.ca during the Black Friday sale. Shipping is free on this item too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026&cm_re=28%22_lcd-_-24-254-026-_-Product

Peter Fisla -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 2:36:22 PM)

I bought Matrix's versions of CC4 (Bulge) and CC5 (Normandy) and I like them both to be honest.

SlickWilhelm -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/27/2009 3:58:10 PM)

quote:

I'm so conflicted! [:'(]

Ryan, from what I read on these forums, Cross of Iron is essentially the WinXP version of CC3, which a few other bug fixes. I bought Cross of Iron and enjoyed it immensely. I've since purchased Wacht am Rhein, but haven't played it much yet.

If I were you, I'd buy whichever one takes place in the setting you're most interested in.

RyanCrierie -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 3:13:52 AM)

I'm definitely buying COG:EE this holiday season, but I'm still a bit out on Close Combat.

I'm semi-firm on The Longest Day, since it has the most features (night battles and windowed mode); but how is the moddability of the new Matrix versions of CC?

How do you add new vehicles/units/maps to the game?

Is it feasible with some minor bunkery to get the maps from the Wacht Am Rhein or earlier versions of CC remakes working in TLD?

Cause I'd love to pit this beast

[img]http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/picturesh/t28a.jpg[/img]

against King Tigers. [:D]

milkweg -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 5:12:13 AM)

Which game is COG:EE? I can't decide on which game(s) to buy that are on sale because I'm not sure which are really good deals and which aren't so would like to know which game that acronym stands for so I can scope it out.

RyanCrierie -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 5:28:20 AM)

Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition It isn't on sale. But it's by the same guys who made Forge of Freedom.

htuna -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 5:31:11 AM)

Crown of Glory IS ON SALE

milkweg -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 5:42:27 AM)

OK, got it now. I have Forge of Freedom but not Crown of Glory so will keep it in mind. Thanks.

SLAAKMAN -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 8:47:24 AM)

NK-
quote:

Yes. The fanboys would likely have an aneurism if we were to mention it. Hush hush. Be vewy quiet. No offal to see here, move along.

I'M MENTIONING IT AND I'LL SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS.....IM CALLING YOUR AZZ OUT BITCH. THATS RIGHT. I'M A BLUE-BLOODED AXIS-FANJUNGE AND F*CKING STOLTZ OF IT. YOU HEAR MY COMMAND VOICE PODUNK HILLBILLY BOY?? NOW I DARE YOU TO STEP YOUR PUNY TOE ONTO MY BERLIN MAP PRONTO AND STOP YOUR INCESSANT WHINING. THATS RIGHT. I'M CALLING YOU OUT. YOU HEAR ME TOO OVARYMAN?? [:'(][:@][:D]

bairdlander2 -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 3:42:56 PM)

Cross of Iron is good because you can follow the progress of your soldiers.This feature is not in TLD.

gunny -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 4:00:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander
Cross of Iron is good because you can follow the progress of your soldiers.This feature is not in TLD.

Bingo. This is the one thing it did well. Nothing like following that panzer IIIJ through all the campaign battles and watching their vet attributes rise. Or the squad with all the medals. When they get smoked somewhere near the end game you take notice.

bairdlander2 -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 4:07:44 PM)

Another feature of COI is accidental freindly fire.My mg squad was firing on some Soviet squad.One of my tanks was in betwwen, the crew bailed and got cut down by my mg squad.That seems realistic to me.In TLD never had anything like that happen.

sabre1 -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 6:35:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

NK-
quote:

I'M MENTIONING IT AND I'LL SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS.....IM CALLING YOUR AZZ OUT BITCH. THATS RIGHT. I'M A BLUE-BLOODED AXIS-FANJUNGE AND F*CKING STOLTZ OF IT. YOU HEAR MY COMMAND VOICE PODUNK HILLBILLY BOY?? NOW I DARE YOU TO STEP YOUR PUNY TOE ONTO MY BERLIN MAP PRONTO AND STOP YOUR INCESSANT WHINING. THATS RIGHT. I'M CALLING YOU OUT. YOU HEAR ME TOO OVARYMAN?? [:'(][:@][:D]

Ayyyy, Slaakman, give up that brand of coffee.

SLAAKMAN -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 7:08:03 PM)

quote:

Ayyyy, Slaakman, give up that brand of coffee.

(Meet me on gamespy in the CC3 room for your next shooting lesson). [:D] 

RyanCrierie -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 9:08:30 PM)

Okay, I ordered COG:EE and Cross of Iron.

What tilted my purchase towards CoI?

The wide number of mods available for it -- I don't know how easy it is to mod the new matrix version of CC; so I'm sticking to the one with an already proven record of mods (WWI, West Front, a bunch of more WW2 East Front Mods, etc).

SLAAKMAN -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 9:32:50 PM)

Whlie youre at it dont forget the classic version of CC3!! [:D]
http://video-games.shop.ebay.com/Video-Games-/1249/i.html?_nkw=CLOSE+COMBAT+3&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282
[image]http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!Be(pShQBGk~$(KGrHqQH-EYErffM51tgBK87Cho+GQ~~_12.JPG[/image]

RyanCrierie -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 9:33:21 PM)

Um, I OWN that one. [:D]

SLAAKMAN -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 9:57:40 PM)

LOAD IT UP AND ENTER MY DOJO LITTLE FLY!! [image]http://www.maddogdrivethru.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif[/image]

SlickWilhelm -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/28/2009 10:17:42 PM)

Great purchase, Ryan. Both are great games. Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition will take a while to get into, but like FoF it is fantastic!

RyanCrierie -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/29/2009 12:36:15 AM)

Question for the gang? Has anyone ever tried to play maps from say, Cross of Iron in Wacht am Rhein?

bairdlander2 -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/29/2009 1:16:35 AM)

quote:

Okay, I ordered COG:EE and Cross of Iron.

What tilted my purchase towards CoI?

The wide number of mods available for it -- I don't know how easy it is to mod the new matrix version of CC; so I'm sticking to the one with an already proven record of mods (WWI, West Front, a bunch of more WW2 East Front Mods, etc).

I cant get the Vietnam mod to work,only Commonwealth Summer.If anyone is up for a COI game pm me.

Doggie -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/29/2009 2:43:42 AM)

The number one reason to consider the Close Combat series of games is playablility. You don't have to print out manuals and spend three days studying them before you can get into the game. Anybody can watch the tutorial game and have the basics down in five minutes. It's a very simple interface with basic move and fire commands. The nuances are more complicated, and you learn those just like a real commander would learn - from experience.

If your men are being shot to pieces, then you are obviouly doing something wrong. One of the shining features is that an experienced player with limited resources can absolutley win against an opponent with an overwhelming material advantage. Yes, your depleted company of American rangers can stand up to a mob of Panzers and humiliate them if you know what you are doing.

On the other hand, an experienced player really can't lose against the computer. The computer is stupid. The only real test is against another human opponent, and in that arena, Close Combat has no equal. Visit Mooxie's Close Combat web site download the simple Hamuchi connection device, and find a human opponent. Hamuchi gives you a stable, fast connection with no disconnects, even when your opponent is a real German.

For the "nuances" visit my forum and ask some experienced C lose Combat players who have been playing for a decade. You can even ask Slaakman, but he's a putz.[8|]

GoodGuy -> RE: Question about Close Combat. (11/29/2009 2:59:05 AM)

I agree with your praise of the CC series.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie
The only real test is against another human opponent, and in that arena, Close Combat has no equal.

While COTA simulates operational warfare, not tactical (small) engagements, facing a human opponent on COTA is as thrilling as on CC.... well, maybe even more thrilling, maps with a size of up to 40*50 kilometers, and you can save the multiplayer session any time, in order to pick on your opponent another time. Convenient, challenging... COTA and the upcoming "Battle for the Bulge" have the best engines on the market, imho.

quote:

Hamuchi gives you a stable, fast connection with no disconnects, even when your opponent is a real German.

Lol, I can confirm that. Even if I play against West Coast opponents, Hamachi still virtually makes it feel like playing on LAN, usually, with some tiny quirks here and there, ping-wise, once in a while.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI