bureaucracy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Armada 2526 Series

kafka -> bureaucracy (11/29/2009 10:54:21 AM)

Is there a way to counter bureaucracy, its increasingly ruining my economy? I think the game really needs improving on its economic aspect - looking at the balance for my home planet i.e.

Income: Tax 580 (set to normal)
Mining 400 (core mining built - way too low in my eyes considering the negative effects mining has)

Expenses: Building Upkeep 650 (though I've built elementary and necessary structures only, much too high in my eyes)
Defense Upkeep 15
Bureaucracy 396 (yet increasing)
Ship upkeep 50

I run a deficit and the game provides absolutely nothing to change this. There are no structures I could remove and the game provides no other structures I could build to improve the economy (this research aspect is missing). There seems to be nothing I can do to deal with the increasing burocracy costs, I don't even know what causes them. Growing your empire in a large map seems to trigger a cost increase which yout cannot counter at all, as least I haven't found a way to do so. I do like a challenging economic model but this really starts to get frustrating.

Flaviusx -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 11:23:39 AM)

Play the Walden or Hoon Yu.

It's a game mechanic to reflect the increasing burden of managing a large empire. Unless you play one of these two races, there comes a point where the imperial overhead threatens to stop you in your tracks, even on a medium map. I'm presently playing the Klurgu on a 120 x 120 map and out of a total imperial budget of 20k/turn, over 6k is spent on bureaucratic overhead. I'm managing by trading tech aggressively and establishing trade missions with the various weaker empires, but I'm at the point where I'm definitely cherry picking planets, and only taking ideal worlds.

Anything else I just nuke to the stone age and move on.

Once I get infinite communication technology I may stop colonizing worlds, period...and simply exterminate anybody who is near me in VPs. After all, I get fat points as a Klurgu for genocide. Non bureaucratic races need to specialize their game play to max out their VPs according to their racials, and you can find ways to win based on that.  

kafka -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 12:11:33 PM)

Yes, the game works this way. It just seems not well modelled to me. What's the point in playing i.e. a huge map if you are forced either to play one of two races or are definetely constrained in your expansion capability as the game fails in providing you with an appropriate set of alternate strategic choices to deal with the effects of your expansion - it's a 4X game after all. It may be right to reflect the increasing burden of bureaucracy the larger the empire gets but the game should provide means to deal with it - i.e. on the technology layer, why not including technics to lower that costs?

p.s.
Concerning the victory conditions, maybe I missed this point in the manual, but are the race specific conditions the only one which are taken into consideration when determining the score? So when playing the Jellution the only victory conditions to matter are happines and technology advance, is this correct?

kafka -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 12:31:33 PM)

well. if it's working this way and you cannot do anything to influence the gameplay, this is a game breaker to me, at least I am not able to play larger maps. I haven't even got to explore most part ot the map and yet am no more able to expand due to the exploding bureaucracy costs the game does not give me the chance to deal with? So it looks like I should stop playing my campaign now.

kafka -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 12:55:31 PM)

btw stopping expansion doesn't seem an option either as bureacracy costs increase seems to be affected by population growing. The larger your empire and the higher your population the higher the bureaucracy costs increase which in effect seem to eat away your tax income. So it seems you are forced to continue expansion in order to distribute your population from your high populated planets to avoid bureaucracy costs increase which on the other hand contributes to increase those costs.

Aroddo -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 2:09:13 PM)

hmm... i haven't yet checked the fiscal impact of bureaucracy. i was more ... focused on the impact on happiness, to be honest.

still, if bureaucracy will swallow up all profits generated without any chance to counter the effects, large galaxies might prove unplayable. Anyway, it's still too early to say that it's definetly broken. Maybe the current mechanics allow to counter the bureaucratic effects and we just haven't found the right strategies for that. Like the "build everything everywhere" behaviour that clearly doesn't work in Armada 2526. :D

"Bureaucracy expands to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."
-- Oscar Wilde

Flaviusx -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 2:57:30 PM)

Well, you can always win by eliminating everybody, but I tend to win on VPs in a turn limited scenario. Especially in larger maps. And the VP calculations vary by race.

Presumably bureaucracy costs cap at some point. But it is likely a very high point, as I'm already seeing it hit 30%+ of the imperial budget, which is pretty hefty. This is around turn 300ish and well into the endgame, with only a handful of techs left to research. (I set the game to 400 turns, so it's almost over anyways.)

If it doesn't cap...that's a game killer for larger maps, yeah.

Flaviusx -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 3:05:38 PM)

The hit to happiness seems to increase directly parallel to the fiscal impact, btw. In this Klurgu game unhappiness is -3 due to bureaucracy, which matches closely with the 30% overhead costs.

Zakhal -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 3:08:39 PM)

I have like 25% of 140x140 galaxy turn 330 or so. Buro got me too but I think I got it controlled atleast so far. I concentrated totally on rich planets. Built everyting there even security and entertainment center. And researced bio-atmospheres for those rich planets that didnt have one. I also did some microing of removing useless buildings i.e shipyards and sofort from my empire. Those planets that rebelled and yet refused to provide income I just let burn into the ground. I dont really need them.

My income went from low of +600 to almost +3000 and I havent even yet finished building with the rich planets. Treasure is 80k growing fast.

Richard III -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 3:47:30 PM)

"Bureaucracy increases as the number of your colonies increase" [X(]

This little quote from the start up tip on a new custom game. No doubt they mean Bureaucracy Costs increases with new colony planets.

Tom_Holsinger -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 5:55:42 PM)

This is why I advocated, before the game was released, that an abstract and easily modded model be created for bureaucracy which did not affect happiness. Players should be able to adjust the affects of bureaucracy based on the scale of the game they prefer to play.

Or else they won't play the game for very long.

The customer is always right. Give them what they want. If they want to play in large galaxies, don't punish them for trying with a bureaucracy model which works only for small galaxies. Let them mod it.

ASHBERY76 -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 7:31:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom_Holsinger

This is why I advocated, before the game was released, that an abstract and easily modded model be created for bureaucracy which did not affect happiness. Players should be able to adjust the affects of bureaucracy based on the scale of the game they prefer to play.

Or else they won't play the game for very long.

The customer is always right. Give them what they want. If they want to play in large galaxies, don't punish them for trying with a bureaucracy model which works only for small galaxies. Let them mod it.

So you and a few others represent the customer?

Tom_Holsinger -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 9:01:41 PM)

Ashberry, I was involved with all three versions of Master of Orion, helped write AD&D (my name is in the 1st edition), etc. I've been around a long time, been involved with lots of games, and know how to market turn-based space 4x games.

Aroddo -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 9:46:52 PM)

i don't think Ntronium even HAS a marketing department. Or has anyone seen ads for that game anywhere?

PDiFolco -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 10:01:32 PM)

I'm a bit worried if there's indeed some unstoppable effect that forbids all except a couple race to expand past a certain point...It should be at least proportional to map size, or -better- the game should allow some way out ...Look at Civ, GC or EU for ideas, let's create independent colonies that still gives  VP, or add some government research that allows galactic council, whatever !
That's not a marketing thing, just basic good gameplay design (don't put the player in a corner they can't escape, else they'll escape the game !).

Aroddo -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 10:22:39 PM)

on the other hand, bureaucracy (or rather the lack of) gives smaller empires a chance to catch up.

Klahn -> RE: bureaucracy (11/29/2009 11:03:17 PM)

I agree that there needs to be a function to allow smaller empires to not be completely overwhelmed, but what amounts to a hard cap on expansion for most races is too much in my opinion.

There are a ton of ways implement functions to slow down the large empires without outright crippling them.

Tom_Holsinger -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 12:59:55 AM)

Ryvan,

There are different opinions here. Mine is that turn-based space 4x games are fundamentally different than other turn-based 4x games because the former's players are much more interested in combat. Specifically we space gamers tend to consider our 4x games to be vehicles for creating exciting space battles, and/or mastering strategic challenges, both of which are outward directed at our AI opponents.

Fans of the Civiilzation series are more focused on empire management. They like coping with their own unruly populations. Space gamers, by contrast, view domestic unrest as, at best, an annoying distraction from the parts of the game they more enjoy. The enjoyable part of space empire management is much more a matter of optimizing production than of placating unruly citizens. Another significant faction of space gamers really liikes the exploration phase, but that too is outward directed. Most to almost all turn-based space 4x game fans loathe coping with the domestic unrest which, by contrast again, is a major point of enjoyment for Civ fans.

Note that Master of Orion I and II had no domestic unrest at all, and were great successes in their day. This is because Steve Barcia (designer of MOO1/2), who was and is a true genius in the gaming industry, understood the point I just made. He convinced me of it in phone conversations during MOO1 days.

Alan Emrich and Quicksilver added unrest to MOO3 in several ways, some of which worked and some of which didn't. Their implementation of piracy was a flipping disaster. On the other hand, their use of the Ithkul/Harvester bad guy race to create unrest on planets was a wild success. Overall their addition of unrest to the MOO series was effective.

The key insight, though, and this was Emrich's, was his means of keeping player empires from easily winning a game by just outgrowing the AI empires. Bob Smith has something similar, and both are based on the concept that the bureaucracy necessary to run increasingly large empires makes them increasing inefficient.

Emrich's implementation of bureaucracy in MOO3 was what he called the Heavy Foot of Government (HFoG). It is definitely not the same as Armada's "bureaucracy", but they serve the same purpose - giving experienced players a challenging game after 100-150 turns - in different ways. Emrich's in MOO3 is IMO much preferable to Bob Smith's in Armada.

Emrich's HFoG increases building costs as empire size increases, in terms of numbers of planets and total population both. A HFoG rating of 3 means everything costs three times normal. A HFoG rating of 2.25 means everything costs two and a quarter times normal. This means that the really big empires, i.e., player ones, cannot easily win by just outgrowing the AI empires. It's a handicap which dsproportionatey affects the larger empires, and more so as they get bigger.

HFoG absolutely, positively, does not increase or affect unrest in any way. You can run a large empire in exactly the same fashion as a small one - it just takes longer because there is more to do. Most importantly, you can concentrate on beating the enemy, advancing your empire and generally stay outwardly focused.

Bob's bureaucracy scales up in much the same way Emrich's HFOG does, but Bob's bureaucracy does not directly affect production. Instead it adds to unpopularity and thereby, ultimately, unrest. The costs of building things does not change as an empire gets bigger. The costs of creating the many buildings and troops to keep down the unrest, i.e., the cost of doing business, goes up. But, worst of all, Bob's bureaucracy here DEMANDS that players pay an increasingly greater amount of attention to domestic unrest as their empires get bigger, and distracts them from the fun stuff of facing external strategic challenges plus waging wars and fighting exciting space battles against AI opponents. You simply cannot play a really big empire in Armada the same way you play small ones. Quite different play styles are required.

And, IMO, the inwardly-focused, domestic politics, style Bob requires to successfully play large empires in his game is absolutely not the style most fans of turn-based space 4x games want. Sure it's what a lot, perhaps most, players of non-space turn-based 4x games want. But not space gamers.

I.e., Bob's Civ-type unrest implementation of bureaucracy will, IMO, kill the fun of playing his game on a large scale map.

I hope he changes it based on these remarks. It would not be difficult to do. Playtesting it for balance will be the hard part.

Aurelian -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 1:16:31 AM)

Well, this space 4X gamer wants the unrest. This one likes having to deal with domestic unrest, even open rebellion, while fighting a knock down drag out war.

This one would like to see more of it. Would like to be able to appoint regional governors, who might get an itch to overthrow you. or fleet commanders who may get the same itch.

Rosseau -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 1:22:30 AM)

"Emrich's in MOO3 is IMO much preferable to Bob Smith's in Armada."

No offense, but Armada is much preferable to MOO3 as a game! I've been playing them since Chris Crawford's Eastern Front in '82, and MOO3 lasted a few hours on my hard drive. However, the background story written for MOO3 was awesome. Just my opinion, of course.

Tom_Holsinger -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 1:41:59 AM)

Armada works out of the box, and is fun to play. MOO3 could run, but wasn't fun and plain did not work right until a Canadian programmer whose on-line handle is Bhruic fixed most of the broken parts out of sheer genius in the 6-12 month period after it was released. I believe he has helped with many other games too. MOO3 is now great fun for me because I've customized it so much, but is still micromanagement city compared to Armada 2526.

OTOH, you can play the really big MOO3 empires in really big galaxies in less than real time. I suspect few will have the patience to play really big Armada empires in really big galaxies.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

"Emrich's in MOO3 is IMO much preferable to Bob Smith's in Armada."

No offense, but Armada is much preferable to MOO3 as a game! I've been playing them since Chris Crawford's Eastern Front in '82, and MOO3 lasted a few hours on my hard drive. However, the background story written for MOO3 was awesome. Just my opinion, of course.

Rosseau -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 1:43:06 AM)

I should add that I was late to the party with MOO3. When I finally loaded it, I was fortunate to find this website with these dedicated guys--it may have been you, Tom--who fixed all the glaring errors and even had a patch installer. I was so appreciative of that. But when I played the game, it didn't grab me. Armada has me hooked, however.

siRkid -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 2:08:13 AM)

I for one like the unrest and how you have to deal with captured aliens. Having said that, I don’t want it to be the larger part of the game. By the way, I have found that building marines on all the planets keeps revolts down and allows me to keep the taxes up.

Klahn -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 2:22:05 AM)

I'm all for the unrest. I'm all for the regional governors who might try to overthrow you. What I am against is the fact that the game seems to be completely and utterly unplayable as humans attempting conquest on a huge map. No matter what I try to do, after I expand so far all of my planets seem to automatically end up in a state of rebellion. The only way forward is to purposefully slaughter my own population and give the AI worlds for free that are no longer required to expand my borders. I consider the game to be completely unplayable for eXtermination purposes on huge maps for all but 2 races at this point. It only works if you are playing for points. I don't want to play for points. I want to be able to eXplore and eXterminate.

The gameplay in this respect is so awful, while the rest of the game is so good, I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong. Stationing troops on the planet doesn't seem to increase stability. I've built absolutely every single happiness increasing structure. I've removed all pollution-causing buildings. Nothing seems to work at all. Eventually my bureaucracy simply overcomes the ability to cope.

siRkid -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 2:36:59 AM)

Why not bring in characters like they did in MOO II that we could assign to different planets as regional governors. They would each have their on set of stats that would affect the management of the planet.

Rosseau -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 4:21:29 AM)

Ryvan,

You probably know this, but you can change the race attributes of the Humans to make them more playable. Of course, this is cheating, and some may be looking for a less artificial means to do so.

Ntronium -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 4:23:28 AM)

For those people complaining about bureaucracy, how many colonies do you have, and how many do you think would be fun to have before it becomes too much of a management chore.

The huge maps are really there to accomodate a lot of races, rather than to allow enormous empires. I didn't really think the game would be fun with 100 + colonies to manage. Still if people want to play huge empires, I'll add some means to adjust it.

Flaviusx -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 4:29:27 AM)

Bureaucracy most certainly affects production. Production in this game ultimately depends on cash flow, and having up to a third of your cash flow diverted to bureaucratic overhead over and above your ordinary upkeep costs definitely restricts production.

Now the question here is whether or not the effect is too pronounced, both on the production and unrest ends. Possibly it is, and I've yet to find a hard cap for bureaucracy. It's bad enough dealing with this as the Klurgu in my current game, but they can manage it, just, as they get an orderliness bonus. (Which still doesn't quite offset the -3 buro penalty in this game, note.)

For the humans, who are already -2 in the hole...yeah. It's a show stopper. But then, I don't like playing the humans anyways.

I like the basic idea here. The implementation of it, well, is questionable.

Janster -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 6:08:23 AM)

Hear hear, options is what we want, not total rulechange, I agree, 100 + planets can be just too much, and I don't mind having an interresting playing field to be on...however atm I just feel I can't even field a decent amount of ships...I mean 20-30 planets and all I can have is 20-30 ships?

Klahn -> RE: bureaucracy (11/30/2009 6:27:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Ryvan,

You probably know this, but you can change the race attributes of the Humans to make them more playable. Of course, this is cheating, and some may be looking for a less artificial means to do so.

My problem with doing that is it would make the humans, (or whatever other race was adjusted in this manner,) too easy at the start of the game. I like the idea of not being able to go hog wild with building everything you want on every planet without consequence. That's why I'm complaining about the bureaucracy issue as opposed to population happiness in general. The happiness penalty for humans stops them from being able to go crazy with mining on rich worlds with bad habitats. It's an interesting and perfectly valid penalty to have.

A hard-to-implement solution would be to have some type of bureaucractic building that lowers the bureaucracy unhappiness hit for a particular planet. These buildings would need to be upgraded as your bureaucracy penalty grows. They should be expensive enough to upgrade that they would serve as a limiting device against uncontrolled expansion. They should only reduce the bureaucracy penalty on the planet on which they are built. They should not increase general happiness outside of the extent that they cancel bureaucracy. (In other words, they wouldn't save you from rioting caused by overpollution of an already bad habitat.)

Another solution would be to have the bureaucracy penalty naturally decrease with time if there is no further increase in the size of the empire. This would also have the effect of limiting the speed of expansion without creating a hard maximum size of an empire. You would be forced to expand at a somewhat controlled rate with pauses to allow your government to settle in for a bit.

An easy and less elegant solution would be to add a "no bureaucracy" switch so players can simply turn it off if they wish. (Call it Galactic Conquest Mode or somesuch.) This would allow players who are happy with the status quo to continue on with the current rules and let those of us who don't like it to change it.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI