HBO's "The Pacific" Site (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

KG Erwin -> HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/3/2009 12:13:15 AM)

The legendary "Old Breed" 1st Marine Division hits the beaches in just three months, gentlemen. See http://www.hbo.com/events/pacific/video.html

It's high time that one of the most-decorated divisions in American military history gets its due. Featured characters include postwar authors Eugene Sledge and Robert Leckie, MOH winner John Basilone, and perhaps the quintessential WWII Marine, Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, all of whom served in the 1st MarDiv. This unit participated in the first US offensive of the war, at Guadalcanal in August 1942, and fought its way across the Pacific to the doorstep of Japan, Okinawa, in 1945. During their journey, these men will also endure the rain, mud and winds of New Britain and the hellish terrain of Peleliu.

KG Erwin -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/12/2009 5:12:32 PM)

A new trailer (#3) has appeared on the playlist -- there's a great shot of US planes doing a flyover of the fleet, plus a voiceover by James Badge Dale, who plays Robert Leckie.

SwampYankee68 -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/13/2009 10:59:59 PM)

I wonder how long after it airs it will take for them to release the DVD set. Band of Brothers is my most valued DVD set.

Sarge -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/14/2009 12:36:23 AM)

Thanks for the ongoing updates on this one KG ............[;)]

Ketza -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/14/2009 1:55:05 AM)

Just wow.....

parusski -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/14/2009 4:07:00 AM)

Fantastic is all I can say. WOW too.

KTNJR -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/15/2009 1:13:37 AM)

I can't wait for this to come out on DvD!

KG Erwin -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/15/2009 1:51:33 AM)

While we're waiting, here's something else you can view. Military advisor Dale Dye started a Pacific War blog back in 2007, when production started. Start here and work your way forward: http://www.warriorsinc.com/cfblog/category_blogs.cfm?category=2B9161F0-C297-FD96-BDFC7348C0AFDBFD&pagenum=12

Here's the thing: this miniseries was three years in the making. I don't know how long the production lag was for Band of Brothers, but "The Pacific" is shaping up to be an epic the likes of which we haven't seen in a very long time.

Marc von Martial -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/17/2009 4:35:17 PM)

Looks great, waiting for the Steel box edition DVD set [:D]

JudgeDredd -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/17/2009 11:07:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
...but "The Pacific" is shaping up to be an epic the likes of which we haven't seen in a very long time.

Well...8 years. [:D] Band of Brothers was 2001.

leastonh1 -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/19/2009 8:03:53 PM)

Wow! Thanks for the updates KG. I don't care how much it costs, I'm buying this as soon as the box set is on the shelves. The clips are truly amazing.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (11/27/2010 6:28:02 PM)

Well my wife bought the mini series at Wally World(black friday) for $45.00. Hasting wanted 75 or 80 bucks. Any way I am enjoying the mini series but after 4 hours I have come to the conclusion that "Band of Brothers" had better production values... The Pacific seems to be leaning more towards a hollywood type movie.

Good entertainment based on history.....even if not complete history.[:)]

KG Erwin -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (11/27/2010 6:38:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Well my wife bought the mini series at Wally World(black friday) for $45.00. Hasting wanted 75 or 80 bucks. Any way I am enjoying the mini series but after 4 hours I have come to the conclusion that "Band of Brothers" had better production values... The Pacific seems to be leaning more towards a hollywood type movie.

What do you find so "Hollywoodish" about it? Have you watched any of the Peleliu episodes yet?

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (11/27/2010 6:45:32 PM)

Not yet only four hours into it. It seems the Military Tec support in some of the scenes had a lot to be desired...even though the battle scenes were interesting. Troops bunched up for camera shots, wire hung way to close for the camera shot.....groups walking out into open spaces during patrols. But overall not bad. They may have had better tec support in bad of brothers. Just my thoughts...

Note: Also Haircuts[;)]
quote:

quote:

What do you find so "Hollywoodish" about it? Have you watched any of the Peleliu episodes yet?

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (11/29/2010 9:22:40 PM)

Completed the series today. Excellent mini-series......for me the Peleiu and Okinawa parts were much better. Makes you want to reread the books.[;)]
quote:

Not yet only four hours into it. It seems the Military Tec support in some of the scenes had a lot to be desired...even though the battle scenes were interesting. Troops bunched up for camera shots, wire hung way to close for the camera shot.....groups walking out into open spaces during patrols. But overall not bad. They may have had better tec support in bad of brothers. Just my thoughts...

Note: Also Haircuts[;)]
quote:

quote:

Hertston -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (11/29/2010 9:58:35 PM)

Still waiting to watch it. Bought the DVDs on release day going halves with the father-in-law and was kind enough to let him watch them first, but the b****r hasn't let me have them back yet.. [:(]

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (11/29/2010 10:37:30 PM)

Their worth the wait. Best action scenes ive seen on screen concerning the pacific.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Still waiting to watch it. Bought the DVDs on release day going halves with the father-in-law and was kind enough to let him watch them first, but the b****r hasn't let me have them back yet.. [:(]

KG Erwin -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (11/29/2010 10:58:15 PM)

Hertston, let me warn you about something. The series is more character-driven than BoB, so it shows the home front and the affect of the war on the individuals. So, expect some sex scenes ("gasp! Marines had girlfriends?!"), which turned off some viewers. (Makes me wonder if THEY ever had sex?)

However, the combat scenes are if anything even more violent than BoB, as it should be, and some of it is VERY brutal. The key battle sequences are in the Peleliu episodes (5, 6 and 7), and are followed by Iwo Jima (to show John Basilone's involvement) and Okinawa.

There is enough mayhem in the 10 hours to exhaust you, but that isn't EVERYTHING. I've watched it several times over, and I like it more each time. IMHO, it is well-balanced, but I was predisposed to like it as the Marines' war is my primary focus of WWII interest.

Perhaps you should watch the extras first (on Disc 6), which introduces you to the real men being portrayed.

(BTW, my avatar's character, legendary Col. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, is brilliantly played by William Sadler.)

junk2drive -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/25/2010 7:17:40 PM)

The kids got us the set for Christmas. The wife and I are happy.

Hope you all had a merry Christmas.

oldspec4 -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/25/2010 7:36:00 PM)

Got the set from my daughter and son-in-law this morning; and am gettin' ready to lock and load the DVD.

mjk428 -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/25/2010 8:40:09 PM)

quote:

Completed the series today. Excellent mini-series......for me the Peleiu and Okinawa parts were much better. Makes you want to reread the books.[;)]

It got better as it went along, no doubt. 40% of it is worth seeing again. Most anything with Leckie in it, I'll likely skip. John Seda was an odd choice to play Basilone but he wasn't too bad. The Sledge parts of the production were by far the best.

JudgeDredd -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/25/2010 9:38:48 PM)

I didn't get this as a present - it was one of my "list" items...so I'll be picking it up in January

D.Ilse -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (12/26/2010 5:54:26 AM)

Planning to watch the whole series tomorrow since we are having a cold/rain day here on the Space Coast for Sunday. Leftovers from Xmas Dinner for snackin and just sitting back and doing as little as possible for the day, since I had to drive from Heck and Back today.

junk2drive -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (3/31/2011 4:04:18 AM)

Finally got around to watching the first disc.

Once the typical hollywood drag it out forever bs ended and the action started, it was pretty good.

Nice to discuss the places and names with the wife and she knows all about it.

She reminded me of a family friend that landed on Iwo. He couldn't swim and was scared s-less that he was going to drown more that any fear of the enemy.

ilovestrategy -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (3/31/2011 7:43:51 AM)

I must be the only person that likes this and Band of Brothers equally. 

cookie monster -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (4/1/2011 12:14:06 AM)

Tell you the truth I didn't enjoy The Pacific

It's not half as good as B.O.B.

The characters were a bit lame and who really cared what happens to them.

I have both on DVD.

But I would never recommend The Pacific

KG Erwin -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (4/1/2011 12:27:12 AM)

The above Englishman is completely mistaken. I regard both miniseries as essential to any WWII movie collection.

"The Pacific" is universally praised by movie critics, but oddly, the gaming community is split. Honestly, I think "The Pacific" is a more compelling story, but the DVD set allows one the opportunity to get to know the characters with repeated viewings. I suppose it follows that if you're not interested in the battles of the Pacific War as fought by the 1st Marine Division, then the miniseries isn't for you.

We've covered it repeatedly, so judge for yourself.

cookie monster -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (4/1/2011 10:15:30 PM)

quote:

The above Englishman is completely mistaken. I regard both miniseries as essential to any WWII movie collection.

"The Pacific" is universally praised by movie critics, but oddly, the gaming community is split. Honestly, I think "The Pacific" is a more compelling story, but the DVD set allows one the opportunity to get to know the characters with repeated viewings. I suppose it follows that if you're not interested in the battles of the Pacific War as fought by the 1st Marine Division, then the miniseries isn't for you.

We've covered it repeatedly, so judge for yourself.

For one thing

Don't write I am completely mistaken.

I am entitled to an opinion and I expressed it.

I REALLY did not enjoy The Pacific.

I will not get into a flame war with you, but if you feel the need to have the last word then go ahead.

You may think I am wrong but just keep it to yourself next time like a true gentleman.

Raverdave -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (4/2/2011 1:50:35 PM)

The fact that it was filmed in Melbourne (mostly) makes it a must have for me.   I have watched it once and enjoyed it, but did think that it was a bit slow to start with.  

Josh -> RE: HBO's "The Pacific" Site (4/2/2011 1:56:50 PM)

Have to say I agree with cookie monster here, I-did-not-enjoy-The Pacific.
I was completely blown away by BoB, and was expecting no less from The Pacific. That did not happen, I hear the DVD may be better and I sure hope so. Ofcourse that's just my opinion, but I felt a bit... let down. Expecting so much, anticipating the next episode might be better than the last one, in the end it was a dissappointment for me.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI