(Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Vincent Prochelo -> (7/4/2002 5:07:57 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sven
[B]

I am hardly "regular".... [/B][/QUOTE]
That's for sure....

:D

-V

Culiacan Mexico -> (7/4/2002 5:10:36 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo
[B]I think all AoW regulars found here should be placed in "relocation" camps where they will be very comfortable until hostilities end;) [/B][/QUOTE]AoW regulars...hostilities end. Is that possible? :)

Belaja smert -> (7/4/2002 5:25:08 AM)

Tulta munille!!! Hakkaa päälle Pohjan poika!

sven -> (7/4/2002 5:25:43 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belaja smert
[B]Tulta munille!!! Hakkaa päälle Pohjan poika! [/B][/QUOTE][SIZE=4]EVERYBODY POLKA!!!!!![/SIZE]

CCB -> (7/4/2002 5:33:44 AM)

Chicken_Salad, I'll send you five dollars cash (which is just as good as money ;) ) if you can name all the Battleships in this pic from left to right. ALL of them.

[IMG]http://www.worldwar2-pictures.com/images/Pearl%20Harbor%20Damages.jpg[/IMG]

UndercoverNotChickenSalad -> (7/4/2002 5:54:40 AM)

Texas, Tennessee, Arizona.

CCB, if you even have 5 beans you're too tight to spend it.

CCB -> (7/4/2002 6:05:22 AM)

[QUOTE]Texas, Tennessee, Arizona. [/QUOTE]

Just as I suspected. :p Looks like I get to keep my five dollars.

The Texas wasn't even there that day.

CCB -> (7/4/2002 6:11:43 AM)

[IMG]http://www.worldwar2-pictures.com/images/Pearl%20Harbor%20Damages.jpg[/IMG]

Way back there you can just make out the top of the California. The Oklahoma has turned turtle, you can't see her because the next ship West Virginia (WeeVee) is blocking the view. the Maryland is tied up alongside the Oklahoma. The Tennessee is tied up alongside the West Virginia. Then there's the Arizona. At the start of the attack the repair ship Vestal was tied up alongside the Arizona and the Nevada was just aft oft the Arizona.

tohoku -> Re: Re: Notice for All (7/4/2002 7:19:30 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vincent Prochelo

Jap? What is wrong with that word? It is short for Japanese...

Can I not call a Scottish person a "Scot"?

Can I not call a British person a Brit?

[/QUOTE]

Because none of the other ones you mention have been used as a term of abuse. It's like using the term 'Yid' and saying there's nothing wrong with them, they're just shorter forms.

tohoku
YMMV

tohoku -> (7/4/2002 7:22:07 AM)

shoot the transgressors.....

the only thing deserving of intolerance is intolerance.......

of course gaijin is a term of endearment dear man....

[/QUOTE]

So you're saying that in your world two wrongs make a right? Are you *sure* you're a grown up, Sven?

tohoku
YMMV

tohoku -> (7/4/2002 7:24:59 AM)

I am hardly "regular"....

[/QUOTE]

That'll be the lack of fibre in your diet.

tohoku
YMMV

Raverdave -> (7/4/2002 7:29:04 AM)

[B]

I am hardly "regular".... [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh I don't know about that............the number of posts tends to put a lie to that, but I must admit that the term "regular" is NOT a fitting description of you......."regular wanker" might be a better fit.:D

sven -> (7/4/2002 7:30:45 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tohoku
[B]

That'll be the lack of fibre in your diet.

tohoku
YMMV [/B][/QUOTE]

as opposed to your ability to type sh*t on command...eat a lot of bran do you????

Raverdave -> (7/4/2002 7:31:01 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo
[B]

I always thought it bordered on a term of endearment.;)

[/B][/QUOTE]

Only in YOUR case Mojo;)

sven -> (7/4/2002 7:31:12 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raverdave
[B]

Oh I don't know about that............the number of posts tends to put a lie to that, but I must admit that the term "regular" is NOT a fitting description of you......."regular wanker" might be a better fit.:D [/B][/QUOTE]

missed you raver but I have tightened my shot group...

sven -> (7/4/2002 7:32:14 AM)

[B]

So you're saying that in your world two wrongs make a right? Are you *sure* you're a grown up, Sven?

tohoku
YMMV [/B][/QUOTE]
funny how only 1 side gets preached to to clean up its act...

and I never say "Jap"

it is always IJA or IJN or Nipponese....

sven

TIAC

fnguy -> (7/4/2002 8:16:06 AM)

Well, if you don't like jap, what about,

Yellow devils,
slant eyed ba$tards
slopes ( yeah, we used that through ALL our asian adventures)
tojo's
nips

take your pick, they are all perfectly historical terms, my uncle, who served on Guadalcanal had a few more colorful terms, but me being a gentleman, I won't repeat them here.

and if you take insult from them, then maybe you just need to toughen up your hide a bit, cause unless you plan to live in a sheltered enviroment your whole life, you just don't have what it takes to live in the real world.

Kitakami -> (7/4/2002 11:12:15 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fnguy
[B]Well, if you don't like jap, what about,

Yellow devils,
slant eyed ba$tards
slopes ( yeah, we used that through ALL our asian adventures)
tojo's
nips

take your pick, they are all perfectly historical terms, my uncle, who served on Guadalcanal had a few more colorful terms, but me being a gentleman, I won't repeat them here.

and if you take insult from them, then maybe you just need to toughen up your hide a bit, cause unless you plan to live in a sheltered enviroment your whole life, you just don't have what it takes to live in the real world. [/B][/QUOTE]

This takes the cake.

I humbly ask that you refrain of using insulting terms like these. Calling a group of people bastards, whatever their facial geometry, is something I really take offense to.

mjk428 -> (7/4/2002 12:18:52 PM)

Thanks to fnguy's post I'm sorry I ever took exception to Wasp's posts.

Culiacan Mexico -> (7/4/2002 1:21:29 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kitakami
[B]This takes the cake.

I humbly ask that you refrain of using insulting terms like these. Calling a group of people bastards, whatever their facial geometry, is something I really take offense to. [/B][/QUOTE]
I often write J a p when I take notes about PacWar or other Pacific WW2 games; no offense is meant. I never call anyone a Jap because it might could offend them; perhaps a couple of my Japanese American friends. That is my choice. Obviously WASP concerned about his/her feeling had no time to consider how that word might be taken... not surprising really. PC is very difficult.

Culiacan Mexico -> (7/4/2002 3:26:56 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mjk428
[B]Thanks to fnguy's post I'm sorry I ever took exception to Wasp's posts. [/B][/QUOTE]You understand how stupid it was for someone to compare a fairly calm discussion over differing points of view on this forum with the Raptor attack that is The Art of Wargaming forum? :)

Mike Wood -> (7/4/2002 3:50:03 PM)

Hello People...

This post should be the last in this thread. Any time I spend policing the forum is time I am not spending programming War in the Pacific.

I am aware that no one meant offense. But, offense was taken, so let's not talk about this any more and move on.

Thank You...

Michael Wood
Lead Programmer,
Matrix Games

Vincent Prochelo -> Re: Re: Re: Notice for All (7/5/2002 12:54:25 AM)

[B]

Because none of the other ones you mention have been used as a term of abuse. It's like using the term 'Yid' and saying there's nothing wrong with them, they're just shorter forms.

tohoku
YMMV [/B][/QUOTE]

The failure of this argument is that just about any word used to describe someone or some group can be manipulated into "sounding" hateful.

Yid and Jap are good examples.

I submit that it is the intentions of the speaker which should be used to judge the words he uses and not the words used to judge the intentions.

My grandfather used to tell me how he loved the Jap guy who used to live 2 houses down from him in the 50's. He thought he was a great guy, and he called him Jap. To him it was not offensive and to his friend it was not offensive and he was not using it with ANY offensive intent. He really liked the guy and enjoyed spending time with him...

Don't get him started on the Krauts, though...

:)

There are NO bad words as George Carlin used to say. Just bad thoughts, bad intentions and bad ideas.

So, I'll respect peoples wishes if they don't like Jap. But I really think it is silly and this PC stuff has gone way out of control.

Vincent Prochelo -> (7/5/2002 12:55:37 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raverdave
[B]

Oh I don't know about that............the number of posts tends to put a lie to that, but I must admit that the term "regular" is NOT a fitting description of you......."regular wanker" might be a better fit.:D [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL....

now that was funny...

;)

Fred98 -> (7/5/2002 6:00:14 AM)

The Yanks who live in the north part of Yankland love being called Yanks.

But I wonder if the Yanks in the southern parts of Yankland like being called Yanks? Did they like being called Yanks in 1865?

How about 1965?

The point is: there is a difference between a stupid Yank and a damned Yankee

Ron Saueracker -> This is silly (7/5/2002 8:56:33 AM)

Considering everyone here probably loves Monty Python....;)

byron13 -> (7/5/2002 10:00:46 PM)

Sorry, Mike, but I've got to put in my two cents. Sorry I didn't see this post sooner.

Thanks, Wasp, for making the post. I've been uncomfortable with the term "Jap" being used on the forum as well. I understand that many use it as shorthand for Japanese and mean no harm by it or are maybe even oblivious to the fact that it was a derogatory term back in the day. The term Jap was a derogatory term during the war and would have been used in the same sentence as Kraut. I think there is too much political correctness in the world, but also believe that the term Jap should not be used because of its origins. It may have been used by newspapers as shorthand for Japanese in headlines, but it definitely had a negative, racist quality just prior to and during the war. Since a drawback of posting on fora such as this is that one cannot hear voice inflection or sense the tone of a comment, we cannot be sure how innocent the use of the term is. As a point, I've no doubt that Yanks like to be called Yanks in Vermont and are proud of being called a Yankee when they travel to Disnyworld. But I've been called Yank in some very unwelcome places, and know that it was not a term of endearment. People in those lands that respected me have called me an American, those that did not call me a Yank. It hurt me, as I'd essentially been called an a-hole right to my face. I would hate to think that we're doing the same to Japanese viewers because we are lazy or ignorant.

Monkeybutt -> Re: This is silly (7/5/2002 10:17:39 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ron Saueracker
[B]Considering everyone here probably loves Monty Python....;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Well,I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

:D

Mojo -> Re: Re: This is silly (7/6/2002 2:54:37 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Monkeybutt
[B]

Well,I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Nobody ever does;)

UndercoverNotChickenSalad -> (7/7/2002 2:49:39 AM)

"I am hardly "regular"...."

A regular man is a happy man.

I usually go early afternoon. Sometimes just after lunch too, depending on what I ate.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI