Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Nemo121 -> Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/26/2009 5:03:09 PM)

Well, I've decided to take the plunge with AE preparatory to putting an Empires Ablaze mod for it together in the New Year. I figure I need to play the game for a bit if I'm to figure out where the pitfalls are and spot all the areas to place traps/correct oversights.

1EyedJacks was eager to play the EA mod for AE and when I counter-offered this game in order to help develop the EA mod he was happy to oblige. As he's helping the mod I gave him choice of sides etc so he chose to play as Japan. I suggested we play Scenario 2 as I believe that features an enhanced Japan and should
a: give him more goodies to play with and
b: probably be the basis for an EA mod.

So, what's the plan?
Well, I haven't gone beyond Day 1 yet in the game as I've only run Decembre 7th turns to see the new combat routines in action. So, the plan is to see how the game plays, see how 1EyedJacks approaches things and then try to do what I'd do in real life and see how it works out.

I can issue orders to units in China on Day 1 and to TFs already at sea. Apart from that 1EyedJacks gets a free shot at me. No House Rules so he can hit as many ports etc as he can reach on Day 1. I am expecting raids on Singapore, Manilla, Pearl Harbour and possibly even some of the Dutch and USN bases in the DEI/Phillipines.

This also means he can move units from Manchukuo into China without paying PP. That particular play works both ways though and the only firm plan I have is to rush a few thousand AV from China into Burma to try and make that a rock-solid base ASAP.

He should, and I believe will, try to cripple my navies on Day 1...

Oh one other thing... I'd be very interested in advice re: any oddities or differences between AE/WiTP which could scupper things and I know 1EyedJacks feels the same so I'd like to be clear that I'm perfectly happy for anyone to give him any advice/input... I say this cause I know some people are wary of giving advice to a PBEMer for fear of his opponent being upset by it. In my view the more advice the better the play and the bigger the challenge to me - which is the whole point in playing after all.

Canoerebel -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/26/2009 5:29:54 PM)

Good to have you "back in the saddle," Nemo.  Good luck!

aztez -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/26/2009 5:30:38 PM)

Good to see you back mate!

Sounds intresting and best of luck with this campaign! [:)]

Canoerebel -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/26/2009 5:33:14 PM)

It's hard to "rush" Chinese troops into Burma.  The roads are long and poor, and there aren't enough units close to Burma at the start of the game. What few are close by are very weak.  If you do send Chinese troops to Burma, there aren't any supplies and I think it's impossible to hold the Mandalay area against a determined Japanese attack.  So, Chinese troops in Burma will either be retreating to India or back to China pretty soon.

Andy Mac -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/26/2009 8:12:11 PM)

Ports ports and more ports.....much more important now

Nemo121 -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/26/2009 9:40:16 PM)

Yes, my initial conclusions are as follows:

1. The Allied air force should be more competitive ( this doesn't mean achieving a favourable exchange rate or even stopping bombing raids but simply the achievement of important operational, strategic objectives ) in the early war months.

2. Ports are much mroe important as the ability of naval forces to replenish in far-away min-harbours is now much reduced. If you want to run sustained operations in a given region you'll need a nearby base and quite significant levels of supply.

3. Burma is very much more cut off. The lack of trails to India makes moving overland troops and supplies a rather chancy affair. A rapid Japanese advance could take Burma by sea before the Allies can reinforce it by land. On the other hand holding Burma will draw the moth to the flame and provide some significant singeing opportunities.

I've run two turns vs the AI ( until 10th December ) and, so far, Air to Air losses are over 2 to 1 in favour of the Allied air force. Obviously some of this is due the AI sending raids against targets it shouldn't but even in the face of enemy fighters the Buffaloes and P-40s can achieve a reasonable amount. They are much more competitive. I'm interested to see what I can make of the P-400.

Naval combat: Improved. I ran three interceptions against landing forces on the 8th December and they turned out much more reasonably than they would have in WiTP. While the actual exchange of fire featured the usual overly-accurate fusilade from merchants the overall operational goal of disrupting landings was well-achieved in a manner which I don't think WiTP would have achieved.

China: The Chinese are utterly, utterly F'ed ;-). Their situation is worse than it is in stock from what I can see. That's fine though, no point recreating EA by winning the war through China in a 2nd game. Variety is the spice of life and all that ;-)

modrow -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/26/2009 9:40:17 PM)

Nemo,

returning from a bit of a christmas forums break, I was glad to see this nice surprise. I think this will be an AAR where I follow just one side (yours), so I can discuss and ask in here without putting operational security at risk.

Relating to your first post, let me add the following comments:

Let's start with the good news: I think psy warfare works just the same way it did in WitP - that's most likely a big advantage for you [8D].

But I think a number of the good old concepts just does not seem to work as it used to do - or at least did not for me.

I may have done something wrong, but when I tried to counter a weak invasion of Jolo by flying in a good-sized number of AV using a concentration of patrols and transports in order to change the conditions at the base quickly, I just ended up throwing the troops away as they arrived in the wrong op mode in spite of being moved while in combat mode. Rapid reaction may not work any more in the way it used to... Along similar lines, I think disruption induced during longer rides in fast transport TFs may limit their use.

Also, I have the impression that concentration of air power will not work as it used to. Penalties for too many groups at a base are more harsh, and it is more difficult to keep a group flying, so you quickly end up having a repairing group occupying a precious slot on a base for several days in a row.

Just two aspects I would mention based on my limited experience and less-than-perfect gameplay.

Hartwig

Nemo121 -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/26/2009 9:44:46 PM)

Hartwig,

Yes, I noticed those changes to disruption while FTing... On the other hand I've never understood why people think I'm wedded to FT TFs. Each type of TF has its use. When the right situation presents itself FT TFs are used, when not then other TFs are used.

Air combat and repairs... Yeah, I'm interested to see this in practice. I applaud these changes if they work to reduce overstacking and keep things realistic with limited numbers of planes operating out of individual bases and nations having to use multiple bases to get a concentration of force... much more realistic.

As to the change of mode while air-transporting... Yes, that makes sense. Good point and nice to see they've thought of it and reduced the effectiveness of such air-transportation.

I think that things look like they'll go much more slowly with more emphasis on the need for large ports and dispersed airfields if one is to wield sizable naval and aerial forces.

ny59giants -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/26/2009 11:04:28 PM)

I've reached the end of 12/41 playing two day turns against Andy Mac's Ironman mod using a particular "nasty" AI script.

The experience level for Allied aircraft for ASW is really, really bad. For most it is below 30 for PBY and FP. If Mike is aggressive with his subs, he can cause some costly damage to your shipping of the west coast of USA and Hawaii. I'm still experimenting on how to conduct patrols and use the training function to gain experience in this critical area.

Like others have said, I look at the port potential first as most that have a good port potential also have a good AF potential.

If CL Boise gets into a transport TF, she will need to head for Soerabaja for reloading, so protection of ports that can reload your CLs or larger is more important than ever. I have yet to see this fact exploited to its fullest yet. [;)]

Right now I see mainly caution by players in PBEM as they conquer the learning curve. I would imagine that will change as they get into their 2 and 3 games. With your playing style, I don't think we have to wait that long.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting [:D]

Nemo121 -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/28/2009 1:54:12 AM)

Mike,

Well, sub attacks are like rain. It happens, sometimes you just need to suck it up and keep walking in whatever direction and whatever pace you were planning on. I'm not the sort of person to get scared off by the minor attrition of submarines... Obviously if their predations get too intensive then I'll hunt them down but, honestly, in the vast majority of my games Allied or Japanese subs weren't an unmanageable threat.

I've been looking at Java and Malaysia and have come to the conclusion that the OIL at Palembang is even more important than ever. In addition I think southern Java is now even less defensible. I am looking at putting the British reinforcements for Malaysia into Palembang and Oosthaven and drawing as many troops from Malaysia into Palembang and as many Dutch troops from Java into Sumatra as possible. There's a nice airbase there which should be immune to enemy naval bombardments and the port at Benkoelen should allow me to run small AKs in with supplies to keep things ticking over. It is a small port but, hell, it can be built up, especially if I bring a fair few supplies to the party.

Looking at airplanes things get interesting... I've been reading the fora and all of the discussion of Allied fighters fighting down low. This puzzles me though as in many situations when they fight at low level they are experiencing the greatest manoeuvre differential possible.

If you look at the A6M2 it has a speed of 331 mph with manoeuvre ratings of 33/33/27/21/10 at the various altitude bands ). It is unarmoured, durability is 22 and firepower is 22.
Ki-27: Speed 292, Mvr 41/33/25/17/11, Armour 0, Durability 24, firepower 0.
|Ki-43Ic: Speed 305, Mvr 46/46/37/28/19, Armr 0, Durability 23, firepower 6.

B-339D: Speed 325, Mvr 22/22/19/16/13. Durability 22, firepower 10 and no armour.
vs Zero: So, if you look at the B339 it has pretty much the same speed and manouevre differentials of -11/-11/-8/-5/+3/ So, essentially it is at a manoeuvre disadvantage at anything less than 30,000 feet but above 30,000 feet it is actually MORE manoeuvrable than the Zero.

vs Ki-27: Speed +33 mph, Mvr differential -19/-11/-6/-1/+2. No armour, similar durability but more firepower for the B339D.
So, essentially if you fight above 30,000 feet then everything is the in the favour of the B339Ds ( experience being equal obviously, which it never is ).

vs Ki-43Ic: Speed + 20, Mvr differential  -24/-24/-18/-12/-6. No armour, similar durability, but more firepower for the B339D.
So, essentially, by going up to 30,000+ you minimise your Mvr disadvantage and might get some bounces, which will result in kills since the B339s have the firepower advantage.

Applying the same logic to P39D
Faster than the A6M2, Ki27 or Ki-43c.

Mvr differentials
A6M2: -14/ -16 / -14 / -12 / -5 
Ki-27: -22/-16/-12/-8/-6
Ki-43c -29/-29/-24/-19/-14

So, again, the higher you are the less your manoeuvre disadvantage even in a dog like the P39.

Given the bounce advantage, speed advantage and benefits of going high in minimising Mvr disadvantages why would you try to stay low? Sure you mightn't get as many interceptions if you are up high but you'll be more survivable...

ny59giants -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/28/2009 3:36:47 AM)

quote:

I've been looking at Java and Malaysia and have come to the conclusion that the OIL at Palembang is even more important than ever. In addition I think southern Java is now even less defensible. I am looking at putting the British reinforcements for Malaysia into Palembang and Oosthaven and drawing as many troops from Malaysia into Palembang and as many Dutch troops from Java into Sumatra as possible. There's a nice airbase there which should be immune to enemy naval bombardments and the port at Benkoelen should allow me to run small AKs in with supplies to keep things ticking over. It is a small port but, hell, it can be built up, especially if I bring a fair few supplies to the party.

You have the British 18th Division (minus one component) coming in from Cape Town. But the size of the TF and ships makes it hard to unload it at smaller ports. You have a finite number of LCUs that are not restricted that you can change commands and move. You will have to balance what patrol planes you want to pull from search to do transports. If Mike invades Singkawang with an Air HQ and places Nell/Betty there, then your ability to move shipping around the northern part of Java will be impaired. I'm not saying you cannot do it, but this is going to be one Swiss watch to see the choreograph that will be going on.[:D] Of course, there will be Psych Ops going on in the eastern part of the SRA to keep him busy. [;)]

bklooste -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/28/2009 7:35:51 AM)

Two problems with the allied planes and high altitude are

- You cant reach it as you have a poor climb /low ceiling
- The only thing up there IS zeros. I dont think the game lets you dive like 10K yards you just miss them.

What the plan for China and especially CHangsha , are you going to move 200K troops there like histroical ?

Nemo121 -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/28/2009 2:32:32 PM)

ny59giants,

I'm toying with the idea of sending the USN CVs to India in order to have a good group of CVs with which to cover resupply convoys into northern Java.

What would this achieve:
1. It would provide my resupply with some cover vs the Betties I confidently expect to prowl around Java.

2. It would draw KB westward into the Java area where they'd have to transition predictable chokepoints in order to ambush my forces west of Java ( which I would mine/ sub patrol en masse with subs which have working torpedoes ).

3. Manoeuvristically speaking it would also be a positive for the US in the Pacific as by drawing KB into the DEI it removes them from the Pacific and gives my resupply convoys more freedom of movement and greatly lessens the threat to my LBA, increasing the effectiveness of my LBA. In short I gain more by removing my CVs and most of the IJN CVs from the Pacific than I do by concentrating my USN CVs in the Pacific vs KB.

4. If there's a CV battle then it also allows me a much higher chance of having that battle under cover of my own land-based air.

5. It ensures that when Java falls ( as it will ) that Palembang will be well and truly wrecked.

6. It buys lots of time for India and Burma.

bklooste,
1. Yes you CAN reach those altitudes... Check out the ceiling for the early-war Allied fighters. Just because most people don't use them there doesn't mean they can't go there if you order them there. Even if you have to climb to that altitude you have to bear in mind that the higher up the Japanese fighters /bombers are the farther out they get spotted by radar and, thus, the more time you have to reach altitude. Even if you don't have enough time you'll still be higher than the sub-10,000 height a lot of people seem to like ( which maximises the Allied fighters'  negative manoeuvre differential ).

2. China... No point holding too far forward. Abandon what can't be held, tie down the Japs garrisoning it, withdraw on my own supply depots, repair my own disabled squads, pick some defensive terrain and then when I've maximised the positives ( repaired disabled squads, trained up the Chinese as much as possible, maximised my supply efficiency, picked good, mutually supporting defensive positions, siphoned off several IJA divisions for garrison duties and forced the Japanese to fight at the end of long supply lines ) then I'll stand and fight. Why no-one seems to have adopted such a basic plan before in the AARs I've read surprises me greatly.

Question though:
1. Just how many hexes is it from Los Angeles to Cape Town and from Cape Town to Diego Garcia? I think I remember reading LA to Capetown is 258 but amn't sure how many from Capetown to Diego Garcia or if the 258 is right....

2. What happens if I send ships through those off-map channels at full speed? I understand fuel isn't a consideration but what about system damage? I am asking because, obviously, getting CVs to Capetown at a speed of 18 hexes per day will be a damned sight quicker than turtling them there at 8 hexes per day.

bklooste and others who mightn't have read any of my AARs before.... I focus on the economy, economy, economy. Military considerations are entirely secondary as military action won't win this war except insofar as it helps or hinders the strangling of the Japanese economy. Logistics, not artillery, BBs or CVs is the king here and Palembang appears to be the crucial point in the DEI with a daily production of 900 tons of supply and some 9000 tons of fuel. I may be wrong on those figures but that's what my understanding of the stats is. So, it can help sustain itself and destroying it would cripple Japan.

bklooste -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/28/2009 4:48:56 PM)

Hi Nemo ,

I mainly play as Japan .

re the planes , you are right later on in the war but as a Japanese player nothing makes me happier than seeing allied fighters at 30K for the first 2 weeks.
Simply because nothing is happening up there and the engine doesnt seem to allow big altitude changes.

Agree on China . Every AAR i see they attack Ichang get bled to death ( even if they take it) and then wonder when Japan comes in with equal numbers . Changsha needs to be held at all costs It is the city Japan wants and needs at least another 200K men + Artillary. It is also very central so you attack Japan where he is weak.

I have read your AARs before and love the idea of holding Palembang as Japan i like to take it instead of Mersing (which may be well defended) after SIngapore is supressed but before its taken and it help cut off the retreat. You can also move supply to Palembang from Singapore and later to the DEI. The lack of B17s in AE makes the old let the Japanese have it early and bomb it strategy flawed. Singapore is lost DEI cant bee taken until Palembang and Kuching and Balikpapan you cant stop Kuching but make the others expensive .

Becarefull of Jolo /Tarawan at the start and mid to late December the Rabaul and PM rush , you cant stop it but you can make it expensive.

Send subs to Port Arthur..

What about aircraft are you going to avoid the meat grinder to train up ?

Nemo121 -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/28/2009 5:13:17 PM)

Avoiding the meat grinder? Ah but I thought you'd read my AARs? [8D]

No, the whole point with trying to defend southern Sumatra is to CREATE a meat grinder. I want to draw his navy, air force and army in and I want to create a situation in which those ships, planes and troops have to fight long and hard for Sumatra before, eventually, capturing it. My hope is that by the time it is captured most of the OIL centres will be destroyed and I can cause a serious OIL/Refinery shortage.

To achieve this I will need significant numbers of light combatants in the area ( DDs, MGBs etc... due to the small port sizes not being able to support CLs ) and that will necessitate having aircover. I'm hoping to mob him with numbers for a while, eventually lose the naval and air fight but have secured my ground positions by that time. At that point in time the ground units will fight it out while my air units rebuild for the defence of Burma/India.

Also even a losing fight in Sumatra creates opportunities for winning fights elsewhere...

As to Changsha... Apart from allowing the Japanese lateral communications I just don't see how it is so important. It isn't a huge centre for creating supplies, it is an obvious target and the Japanese can bring lots of troops into it from multiple bases, base multiple bomber squadrons at these bases and blast the Chinese out. In addition it is relatively easily flanked from the south-west... I doubt anyone has successfully prevented a moderately capable Japanese player from taking Changsha if the Japanese player invests the units necessary.

The bluster and noise of defending it might look good and aggressive etc but I think it is also pointless---- unless one's opponent is extremely poor and in such a situation you'll win even bigger victories elsewhere.

Nemo121 -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/29/2009 12:40:09 PM)

I've been looking at what the Allies have to ship into the DEI and so far I can identify the following units which won't cost PP and are nearby:
1. 18th UK Inf Division
2. Components of the 17th Indian Division ( spread between Karachi, on ship and Burma )
3. 46th Indian Bde ( on ship at Karachi )

Unfortunately the Dutch are restricted so I'm looking at holing them up at Batavia where they can guard the port and give me some capability of air and naval evacuation to Oosthaven + provide a base for CLs and CAs should the situation ever allow it. For some reason though some of the Dutch units can have their HQs changed and others can't. This isn't related to PPs as I can click on the change HQ button for a regiment or two which require 400+ PP whilst not being able to click on the change HQ button for some much smaller BFs... Hmm, not sure what's going on here.

The Aussies have two CD units I really want to move into Palembang and Oosthaven respectively. 5th and 7th RAA units are CD units with 16 and 4 x 6 inch guns respectively.

Why am I looking at southern Sumatra so concentratedly?
1. Palembang - He must take it, he must try to take it without damaging it and both of these things mean this will form a focus of his attention whilst being safe from resource bombing. In short it'll delay his offensive further north into Burma and India whilst also hurting him a lot more than uselessly losing these troops in Singapore will.

2. There are only 3 good bases for him to land at using naval forces: Palembang, Oosthaven and Benkoelen. This allows me to stuff these bases with artillery and CD units and really try to do a number of any invasion force.

3. Benkoelen provides a relatively sheltered base for me to land further forces--- assuming I can cover their ingress using CVs.

4. There are inland aerial bases which should be proof against his naval bombardments.

5. It maximises the efficiency of the small transport fleet at Singapore.

6. It allows me to maximise the efficiency of the small number of minelayers I have.

7. It is close to the exit point for shipping coming from CONUSA.  IF, through some miracle, southern Sumatra were to hold out for more than a couple of months ( unlikely in this reinforced Japan scenario ) then I could bring significant numbers of US troops, engineers and airplanes into the fray direct from CONUSA in the shortest time possible.

Of course he could land in a non-base hex but doing that will entail longer delays and greater risk while giving me greater time to shift reserves to the threatened sector. He'd avoid CD guns and mines but lose out in terms of the actual ground forces he'd face.

Overall though I think this is probably the best way to exact a significant toll in the DEI region.

Is there anything massive I'm missing? I do realise that I'm still struggling to figure out this whole port loading/unloading / max size of ship thing ( is it referring to ship tonnage or cargo capacity ? ) but I figure I can adapt on the fly as required.

Rainer79 -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/29/2009 1:10:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121
For some reason though some of the Dutch units can have their HQs changed and others can't. This isn't related to PPs as I can click on the change HQ button for a regiment or two which require 400+ PP whilst not being able to click on the change HQ button for some much smaller BFs... Hmm, not sure what's going on here.

If their HQ is grayed out, these units can never be bought out with PPs. They basically have to die in place.

What you can do though, is airlift them between bases of the same restricted command.

quote:

Is there anything massive I'm missing? I do realise that I'm still struggling to figure out this whole port loading/unloading / max size of ship thing ( is it referring to ship tonnage or cargo capacity ? ) but I figure I can adapt on the fly as required.

ship tonnage

One thing you'll quickly find out is that motorized support takes FOREVER to unload at small ports.

bklooste -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/29/2009 1:28:46 PM)

quote:

Avoiding the meat grinder? Ah but I thought you'd read my AARs? [8D]

No, the whole point with trying to defend southern Sumatra is to CREATE a meat grinder. I want to draw his navy, air force and army in and I want to create a situation in which those ships, planes and troops have to fight long and hard for Sumatra before, eventually, capturing it. My hope is that by the time it is captured most of the OIL centres will be destroyed and I can cause a serious OIL/Refinery shortage.

AE is a bit different here , its kind of important for the allies to husband there airforce however you can say train all the US pilots and let the britts and ducth do the work.

quote:

To achieve this I will need significant numbers of light combatants in the area ( DDs, MGBs etc... due to the small port sizes not being able to support CLs ) and that will necessitate having aircover. I'm hoping to mob him with numbers for a while, eventually lose the naval and air fight but have secured my ground positions by that time. At that point in time the ground units will fight it out while my air units rebuild for the defence of Burma/IndiaAlso even a losing fight in Sumatra creates opportunities for winning fights elsewhere....

Id prefer land , sea and the minimum air , mainly fighters and far away from his bases . What to do when KB shows up.

quote:

As to Changsha... Apart from allowing the Japanese lateral communications I just don't see how it is so important. It isn't a huge centre for creating supplies, it is an obvious target and the Japanese can bring lots of troops into it from multiple bases, base multiple bomber squadrons at these bases and blast the Chinese out. In addition it is relatively easily flanked from the south-west... I doubt anyone has successfully prevented a moderately capable Japanese player from taking Changsha if the Japanese player invests the units necessary.

The bluster and noise of defending it might look good and aggressive etc but I think it is also pointless---- unless one's opponent is extremely poor and in such a situation you'll win even bigger victories elsewhere.

If it is flanked from the SW then you need to abandon it but from most attacks it has a nice escape to the NW. The attacks from the SW are more difficult now compared to WITP , China seems to have a lot of troops SW of Changsha and Canton has a big garrison value.

Changsha opens the rail line to Vietnam with the new strategic movement in late 42 you can grab some divisions near South China or even singapore and launch an offensive in North China and then move them back , you can move supplies etc . Japan does not need any of the resources in China his options are

1) Ignore China / hold the line
2) expand the line a bit and Seize the rail line
3) Take all of China to relocate the forces.

bklooste -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/29/2009 1:37:04 PM)

I agree with that but 3 points

1) The more you can get out of SIngapore the better.

2) .
quote:

There are inland aerial bases which should be proof against his naval bombardments.

Bombardments ( and air field attacks in general ) are pretty weak now.

3) Balikpan! Its no good holding him up in Palembang while he goes the Tar. & Balikpan route and invades Java from there with KB support. It could make life difficult for you in early 42 with his LBA in Malysia and attacking Java. Especially on T1 plaers like to send forces to Jolo and Tara. from Palau.?

Nemo121 -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/29/2009 2:06:46 PM)

1. naval bombardments being weak..> Sure but the presence of an inland base means that I have full security against them which is nice.

2. Balikpapan and Tarakan? I think you are missing the point of defending southern Sumatra.... Plus Balikpapan and Tarakan are utterly indefensible. Also I would take exception to your statement that there's no point holding up in Palembang while he goes the Tarakan/Balikpapan route and invades Java via southern Borneo.

As a matter of fact that is precisely the route I expect he'll take and I expect he'll be able to invade java quite easily via that route without the need for KB as I won't be trying to defend that excessively long coastline with grossly insufficient troops. Java is a deathtrap. Sumatra isn't much better but at least the southern part is a bit more defensible.

P.s. Waiting on the turn from 1EyedJacks. I think I might be receiving it sometime today based on his last SITREP.

Nemo121 -> An interesting opening.... (12/29/2009 11:51:52 PM)

Only the midget subs attacked Hawaii. KB went after Singapore where she sank a few CLs which I had dispersed to hit probable landing zones and most of the shipping in the port. Manilla also got hit hard but, to be honest, most of the subs there survived and I think I'll even be able to save a few of the cripples. In PH itself the midget subs mostly died on mines or the nets but one penetrated the harbour, evaved some depth charges and put a torpedo into the West Virginia. That's quite a nice piece of action to see.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 07, 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Midget Sub attack inside harbor of Pearl Harbor!!!

Japanese Ships
SSX Ha-14

Allied Ships
PC Reliance
BB West Virginia, Torpedo hits 1

SSX Ha-14 eludes PC Reliance by hugging bottom
SSX Ha-14 eludes PC Reliance by hugging bottom
SSX Ha-14 eludes ASW attack from PC Reliance
PC Reliance loses contact with SSX Ha-14
PC Reliance loses contact with SSX Ha-14

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Iba at 73,72, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Amagiri
DD Akebono
AO Ken'yo Maru
AO Kokuyo Maru
AO Kyokuto Maru
AO Nippon Maru
AO Shinkoku Maru
AO Toei Maru
AO Toho Maru

Allied Ships
DD Scout
DD Thanet
DD Thracian

Damn, this would have been a lovely intercept to have pulled off as I fleed from Hong Kong but, unfortunately, the Japanese TF evaded my DDs

Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions: 30,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 21,000 yards
Japanese TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 21,000 yards...
Japanese Replenishment TF evades combat

Morning Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 46 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 13

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 11

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 6 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 12000 feet

Not very high. That's an eminently bouncable altitude.

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 18
G4M1 Betty x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 4 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 7 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Vendetta, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CM Kung Wo, Bomb hits 1
AMC Manoora, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Tai Sang, Bomb hits 1

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Repair Shipyard hits 1
Port hits 1

Why bomb the repair yards? In a month's time they'll be his and he'll have to spend thousands of tons of supplies to repair what he is now so glibly bombing.

Morning Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 8 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Bennevis, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Hanyang, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Ming Sang, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Kanchow, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Nanning, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Joan Moller, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Munlock, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
xAK Fatshan, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAKL Yat Shing, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Haraldsvang, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires

Repair Shipyard hits 11

Again with the repair yards. Strange.

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 28 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 36
G3M2 Nell x 36
G4M1 Betty x 54

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
TK Gertrude Kellogg, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Seal, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Perch, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Shark, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Sargo, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Capillo, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AM Bittern, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AV Langley, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Sealion, Bomb hits 1
PT Q-113, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Salmon, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Sturgeon, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AO Trinity, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Permit, Bomb hits 1
DD John D. Ford, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Sailfish, Bomb hits 1
PG Isabel, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Seadragon, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Skipjack, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Pickerel, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Yu Sang, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Saury, Bomb hits 1

Most of these hits are 800Kg AP bombs so even a single hit on a sub is pretty devastatng. With that said the majority weren't hit and will sortie tomorrow like whipped dogs.

Allied ground losses:
Vehicles lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Port hits 6
Port fuel hits 2

Morning Air attack on Kota Bharu , at 51,75

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 5 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 14000 feet *

14,000 feet.

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 45
B5N2 Kate x 72
D3A1 Val x 135

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 5 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 2 damaged
D3A1 Val: 2 destroyed, 20 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 7 destroyed on ground
Blenheim IV: 6 destroyed on ground
Catalina I: 1 destroyed on ground
Vildebeest III: 3 destroyed on ground
Hudson I: 1 destroyed on ground
S.19 Singapore III: 1 destroyed on ground
Swordfish I: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
xAP Dominion Monarch, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
DD Jupiter, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
TK Spirilla, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CM Kung Wo, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Matang, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Mauritius, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Stronghold, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
PG Herald, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Silverbeech, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
TK British Judge, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AMC Kanimbla, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
AM Toowoomba, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Encounter, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMC Manoora, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
ML No. 311, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
TK Pinna, Bomb hits 1
DD Isis, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Kepong, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
24 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 3 (0 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Airbase hits 23
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 129
Port hits 6

Well, that's the runway at Singapore toasted. There's not much I can do against the full force of KB except endure.

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 29

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27b Nate: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 38

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 38 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 39

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 20

Morning Air attack on Georgetown , at 49,74

Raid spotted at 47 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 48
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 55

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Ellenga, Bomb hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Hong Siang, Bomb hits 5, and is sunk
xAK Wing Sang, Bomb hits 5, and is sunk
xAK Demosthenes, Bomb hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Nam Yong, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Kelantan, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
HDML Pennigat, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
HDML Pahalwan, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
HDML Panglima, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
HDML Panji, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

He really is focussed on removing my ability to use the SLOCs in the near-DEI region.

Allied ground losses:

Port hits 10
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 2

Morning Air attack on Georgetown , at 49,74

Raid spotted at 45 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ia Oscar x 17

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ia Oscar: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses

Allied Ships
xAKL Nam Yong, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Demosthenes, heavy fires, heavy damage

Morning Air attack on Hong Kong Fortress, at 77,61 (Hong Kong)

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 18
Ki-27b Nate x 7
Ki-51 Sonia x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 damaged
Ki-51 Sonia: 5 damaged

Allied ground losses:
16 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Morning Air attack on 16th Construction Regiment, at 88,56 (Chuhsien)

Raid spotted at 42 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-30 Ann x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
39 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 37 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-36 Ida x 27
Ki-44 Tojo x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-36 Ida: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 19

Morning Air attack on Alor Star , at 49,73

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 22

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 14

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 31
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 6

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 36

Morning Air attack on Victoria Point , at 51,66

Raid spotted at 28 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 26

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 14

Morning Air attack on TF, near Singkawang at 56,88

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 34 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
CL Dragon, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CL Durban

KB immolates my CLs.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Kuantan at 51,79

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 51 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
CL Danae

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 18 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27

No Japanese losses

Morning Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Raid detected at 34 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40B Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 12000 feet

Raid detected at 23 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 14

No Japanese losses

Afternoon Air attack on Singapore , at 50,84

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 45

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 5 destroyed, 7 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 2 damaged
Blenheim IV: 1 destroyed on ground

These Zeroes strafed the airfield. Mike says its a mistake but I'll take the kills however I can get them.

Allied Ships
xAP Hong Kheng
xAKL Bust
xAP Kepong, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Zannis Cambanis

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 12

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kota Bharu at 51,75

Raid spotted at 27 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 4

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 13
Buffalo I x 8
Hudson I x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27b Nate: 1 destroyed

Interestingly enough my combat replay showed 4 Nates being destroyed in combat but the CR only shows a single loss. This must be the FOW in action. Does anyone know which report is more reliable? I imagine the combat replay is the immediate report complete with overclaiming while the Combat Report features a little intelligence work to work the most egregious rough edges off.

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged
Hudson I: 4 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
BB Kongo
xAK Asakasan Maru
DD Hibiki

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kota Bharu at 51,75

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 5

Allied aircraft
Swordfish I x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Swordfish I: 1 destroyed

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Singkawang at 56,88

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 51 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 27

Allied aircraft
B-339D x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 4 destroyed, 2 damaged

Here again the combat replay showed the B339s taking down about 7 Kates.

Allied Ships
CL Durban

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kuantan at 51,79

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
CL Danae, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Afternoon Air attack on Guam , at 106,95

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
G4M1 Betty x 16

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 5

Pre-Invasion action off Kota Bharu

10 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Sendai
DD Ayanami
DD Uranami
PB Tatsumiya Maru
SC Ch 9
SC Ch 7

Japanese ground losses:
21 casualties reported

CL Sendai firing at 8th Indian Brigade
DD Ayanami firing at 8th Indian Brigade
DD Uranami firing at 8th Indian Brigade
PB Tatsumiya Maru firing at enemy troops
SC Ch 9 firing at enemy troops
SC Ch 7 firing at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft

Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu

TF 85 troops unloading over beach at Kota Bharu, 51,75

Japanese ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

10 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 56th Infantry Rgt
18 troops of a IJA Engineer Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 12th Engr Rgt /2

Amphibious Assault at Batan Island

TF 90 troops unloading over beach at Batan Island, 85,70

10 Support troops accidentally lost during unload of Sasebo 1st SNLF /2
10 Support troops lost overboard during unload of Sasebo 1st SNLF

Amphibious Assault at Batan Island

TF 96 troops unloading over beach at Batan Island, 85,70

7.7mm T99 AAMG lost in surf during unload of 24th JAAF AF Bn /3
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost in surf during unload of 24th JAAF AF Bn /3
8 Aviation Support troops accidentally lost during unload of 24th JAAF AF Bn /3
8 Engineers lost overboard during unload of 24th JAAF AF Bn /3
10 Support troops lost from landing craft during unload of 24th JAAF AF Bn /3
8 Aviation Support troops lost in surf during unload of 24th JAAF AF Bn /3

Ground combat at Pengpu (90,50)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 5442 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 182

Defending force 1379 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 45

Japanese adjusted assault: 181

Allied adjusted defense: 2

Japanese assault odds: 90 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), leaders(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
93 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1129 casualties reported
Squads: 37 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 27 destroyed, 22 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade

Defending units:
89th Chinese Corps

Chinese forces are withdrawing from the east of the country and into the interior where the rugged terrain provides much better defensive positions.

Ground combat at Kota Bharu (51,75)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 3415 troops, 36 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 138

Defending force 4770 troops, 41 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 173

Allied ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
FMSV Brigade
8th Indian Brigade
3rd ISF Base Force

Defending units:
56th Infantry Rgt /1
12th Engr Rgt /1
5th JAAF AF Coy /1

Ground combat at Batan Island (85,70)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 1459 troops, 19 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 69

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 29

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 29 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Batan Island !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+)

Assaulting units:
Sasebo 1st SNLF /3
24th JAAF AF Bn /1

No KB in the Pacific, no landings at Wake, nothing... I may have to begin thinking of a quick riposte to take some islands the Japanese usually leave only lightly defended in the first few weeks. I have to be wary of mini-kb though but if I hold the USN CVs back I could mass 3 USN CVs in the Pacific and I'd be happy taking on mini-KB with that force.

This unexpected opening means I'll have less time to ship troops into southern Java but it also means I have some opportunities in the Pacific. Time to measure them and take advantage of some of them.

ny59giants -> RE: An interesting opening.... (12/30/2009 12:03:26 AM)

quote:

Repair Shipyard hits 1
Port hits 1

Why bomb the repair yards? In a month's time they'll be his and he'll have to spend thousands of tons of supplies to repair what he is now so glibly bombing.

I think this is a random event when a port is attacked. I've had a port hit, but the repair yards left alone.

Nemo121 -> RE: An interesting opening.... (12/30/2009 1:42:30 AM)

Ah, I would have thought the repair yards would have been a city attack target. Ah well, learn something new every day...

Interestingly Mike B tells me that in the 6 test runs he did Ha-14 almost always got through the nets, torpedoed West Virginia ( same ship every time ) and foundered on the way out. Weird!!!

I was sorry to hear they foundered, kinda wanted the plucky SOBs to live.

bklooste -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/30/2009 2:31:09 AM)

quote:

1. naval bombardments being weak..> Sure but the presence of an inland base means that I have full security against them which is nice.

2. Balikpapan and Tarakan? I think you are missing the point of defending southern Sumatra.... Plus Balikpapan and Tarakan are utterly indefensible. Also I would take exception to your statement that there's no point holding up in Palembang while he goes the Tarakan/Balikpapan route and invades Java via southern Borneo.

As a matter of fact that is precisely the route I expect he'll take and I expect he'll be able to invade java quite easily via that route without the need for KB as I won't be trying to defend that excessively long coastline with grossly insufficient troops. Java is a deathtrap. Sumatra isn't much better but at least the southern part is a bit more defensible.

P.s. Waiting on the turn from 1EyedJacks. I think I might be receiving it sometime today based on his last SITREP.

Yes this route is unstoppable but any delays here will have the biggest impact on him securing the Southern resoure region subs , Suface task forces (Boise and Houston normally go this way anyway) and mines (especially) have lots of impact here especially due to the narrow straights. Oh send POW and Repulse here for a non historical start as with a bit of cover from one of the bases mini KB provides little risk. The one thing you want to think about is the Davao landing force going to Tarakan at start and hopping to Balikpan If he does this he can secure Java earlier than historical ( if he has the spare divisions) get Northern Borneo pumping oil and force you to withdraw - correct ? Speaking of which is there anything you can do about loosing Jolo to an NLF this gives him eyes , and a base to stop your assets fleeing PI and provide cover for him to attack Tarakan and Balikpan ? Basically trying to punish an overly aggressive campaign here .

The real question is if he has Java , Malaysia and Burma under attack how will you pull your forces out of Palembang ? I think your planning to send your CVs in for a withdraw correct ? Also are you allowing Port Douglas to fall to an airborne attack ?

bklooste -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/30/2009 3:09:01 AM)

Combat reports seems to understate air losses and overstate naval...

Manilla you sure those were 800kg [&:] Betties and Nells dont drop 800kg AP bombs i thought.

Id be pretty happy he hit Singapore. However if KB stays there he could take Palembang early. What are you going to do with the aircraft at singapore , rail them ?
Where are Repulse and POW ?

What would you do if you were Japan with KB at singers ?
Id probably secure Kuching , Mersing (and either Palembang OR Biliton/Bangpa) then Balikpan then move KB to Rabaul and take Rabaul/PM and then some work in the pacific . Probably try to take Wake with a weak taskforce when the US carriers are gone.

Its certainly an interesting move. Only AAR where Singapore was hit .

Any chance of a screenshot on the South PI area ?

modrow -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/30/2009 10:49:30 AM)

Nemo,

let me add my -very limited- bit of experience re. the use of fighters at high and lower altitudes, respectively. Part of this may just be misinterpretation of what I see and what I read and most of all distorted by personal perception, of course, I did not do any tests (my war against the bloody tyrant time seems not to be very successful) and will be glad to be corrected if I got something wrong.

First of all, let's talk about the influence of height settings when performing different missions. One important thing I learned in this context in another thread (don't seem to remember which one though) is that if you have your planes on escort mission with a percentage of CAP added, the height setting was reported to influence a) the probability of the escort really flying along (highest when identical to the height setting of the attacking AC) and b) the altitude at which CAP occurs. As I understood what was posted there, it seemed that any escorting AC is assumed to be flying at abot 3k above the height setting of the strike AC.

This means a real high fighter escort (über-freie Jagd ?) may not be achievable, unless you trade in your bomber's effectiveness to gain this advantage.

Relating next to CAP, I think one of the reasons why you find other Allied players using fighters at altitudes like 10-15k for CAP purpose is that at this altitude you have a good chance that a reasonable amount of fighters may appear in time to set up a defense. A2A losses are lower now, so if you manage to get a sufficient number of fighter planes into the air (which is easier when your altitude setting is lower), you have a good chance to hurt the bombers even against a well escorted strike if you are at a good altitude for intecepting, because even against Zeros they will no longer be slaughtered in the way they used to be. At the same time, it appears that if you've been capping happily against a fighter escort at elevated altitudes to get a bounce you may miss the chance to hurt the bombers. Note that this is essentially a long version of what bklooste said earlier ("you cannot reach high altitudes" [in time to do the intercept], "the only thing up there is zeros", "the engine does not seem to allow a big altitude change" [changing from high alt allowing the bounce on fighters and then going after bombers]).

As to sweeping... well... I tried to do something like that in an attempt to atrite my opponent's Zeros in my PBEM after he took Ambon. This was my approach: Send in Demons (better duration, climb and maneuver than Zero, slightly worse speed) at something like 14-15k and B339 at 30k. Pilot exp was not bad for the Dutch (mid 50ies). Results were not convincing - lost more planes than I downed, even though I had superior numbers. Maybe a singularity, but not encouraging in any case.

Just my observations, as biased as mentioned above and potentially full of unverified hearsay.

Hartwig

P.S: in a P39 vs P40 discussion there was a series of posts relating to the reliability (or lack thereof) of plane stats - P39 seems to look better than P40E in early versions, but players sort of agreed they seem to do worse in combat. Nont sure how reliable the numbers really are.

String -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/30/2009 11:21:45 AM)

I think the repair yards sometimes get hit by a random chance if you do port attacks.

modrow -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/31/2009 5:05:21 AM)

Nemo,

Southern Sumatra is an interesting site for a defensive action. Never looked at it that way myself, but it sure is an important region with limited access possibilities and thus a good site for what you wish to do if you manage to reinforce it adequately.

My concern - not having looked at the Japanese OOB to check whether this can be done- re. southern Sumatra and its oil centers is, however, that there may be an additional pathway to that region, and a quick one on top of it: An early move on Sinkawang (which a number of players seem to have done) and a follow-up paratrooper invasion of Djambi, followed by airlifting sufficiently strong assets into that base and moving onto Palembang. As I said, no idea whether Japan has sufficient airlift capacity and paratroopers available for that move early on, but the forces defending Southern Sumatra, specifically Djambi and Palmebang, are quite anemic at the beginning and Sinkawang can definitely be taken quickly.

I do not think that possession of Singapore is a necessary prerequisite for such an operation. One of the aspects that may get lost easily amidst a lot of talk about slowing down operations in AE (my favorite AAR putting that topic to a harsh test is Rainer79's against guctony) is the fact that the Allied air threat to naval assets is rather limited, thus threats to SLOCs are reduced. I believe that real deep thrusts are (or at least were pre-patch 2) possible for the japanese side in the first weeks of the war if they are adequately covered by surface assets.

As always, just my thoughts. I'll be glad if you show that this is just a fantasy (nightmare ?) op.

Hartwig

Nemo121 -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/31/2009 11:58:32 AM)

Hartwig,
Southern Sumatra only has 3 good landing points - Palembang, Oosthaven and Benkoenen ( on the west side of the island ). Other than that you have to land in non-base hexes and even then you are pretty much confined to landing west of Oosthaven which should give the CD guns there a fair shot at the IJN TFs.

Best of all it allows me to concentrate my fighters into 3 to 4 airfields and gives me non-bombardable fields for my level bombers.

You are correct that a coup de main is possible. Given the House Rules though there is precious little I can do to prevent that for a few days. Once KB moves away from Singapore I expect to be able to shuttle troops into Palembang quickly and am already flying some 500 Dutch troops a day into Southern Sumatra from Java using air transports. I'll lose the heavy equipment due to silly transport rules which say I have to change HQs to make the hop from Java to Sumatra but such is life. In a week's time Southern Sumatra will be firming up nicely. In addition to the Dutch forces from Java and British forces I hope to rescue from Singapore I am also bringing roughly 2 divisions worth of British and Indian troops into Sumatra by sea at the moment.

By the end of December I think southern Sumatra should be firming up quite nicely.

Possession of Singapore.... No, it isn't a prerequisite. Mike could move into Palembang immediately without taking Singapore. Of course he could only bring DDs and CLs to the party as Palembang is an upriver port and, as such, he will find significant PT, DD and CL forces of mine waiting for him. In addition he'd find the number of torpedo bombers and level bombers I'd commit to that point to be significant. But could I stop him trying? No, in this game since there are, essentially, no house rules he can try things which are normally never tried and I wish him the best of luck with it. That freedom does cut both ways however and, already, I've identified a division's worth of US troops which are available for deployment in the Pacific by month's end and which can be deployed in offensive actions... I'm toying with the idea of counter-invading his island invasions in the Pacific and derailing his timetable that way but will probably decide that's too small-scale and not demanding of immediate riposte. I have targets in mind and am trying to scrape up the forces for an additional landing ( which I doubt I can but which I'd dearly love to go for ) but I don't want loose lips to sink ships. I've seen far too much AAR1 "I am thinking of invading Singkawang", AAR2 post by reader "How strong are your defences at Singkawang? I know it is a small base but you should garrison the small bases strongly too."

modrow -> RE: Salutations and solicitations.... 1EyedJacks (J) vs Nemo (A) (12/31/2009 12:14:44 PM)

Nemo,

quote:

I've seen far too much AAR1 "I am thinking of invading Singkawang", AAR2 post by reader "How strong are your defences at Singkawang? I know it is a small base but you should garrison the small bases strongly too."

if it wasn't you who is running this AAR, my comment would have been that providing this type of intel on occasional occasions to your opponent via this channel of interaction is, of course, part of the use an AAR may have. [:D] As it is you, doubtless I am carrying owls to Athens (not sure of this translation of a German saying works in English).

edited This is to say that I am sure you are aware of that possibility, just like many other ways to add to your opponent's pain.

Hartwig

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI