RE: So, now things get serious.... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

LoBaron -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/18/2010 9:38:44 AM)

I would not break down this topic to cultural differences, although I´d expect a misleading or outright wrong answer
from a British rather than an American opponent if I ask an obviousely stupid question - maybe thats because Viennese humour is quite similar to the famed British one.
- but even this probably too much of a generalization and I hope I don´t step on anyones toes here, including Mike.

What cannot be denied, is that a question like "do you plan to evac Singapore?" falls in the same category as "how many BB´s does your invasion cover
force consist of?", both something I´d never expect my opponent to answer except maybe long after that information is completely worthless to me.
So I wonder why he asked this in the first place.

Does anybody here expect an answer on such questions in a PBEM while he can benefit from it? Or even consider asking such specific questions?
I think without Mike´s question this discussion would not even have existed.

PS: Theres one exception to this though: If I´m playing an opponent who is obviousely new to the game I´d be much more informative
as long as I feel the questions are caused by lack of understanding of game machanics and/or their strategic implications but thats a no brainer anyway IMO.

EDIT: sorry just noticed that my post is quite redundant when looking at the posts of the previous contributors (I was too lazy to read before "contributing" myself) [8|]
Please dis...erm...no...feel free to igno...ok I don´t want to start THAT again. [:'(]

Q-Ball -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/18/2010 3:42:20 PM)

I think Nemo you are for the most part in-bounds with comments. Part of the game.

If I were 1EyedJacks though I would object to small fragments of the same Para unit landing on multiple bases. That can be abused, not just to grab a bunch of empty dots cheaply, but also to gather free intel.

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/19/2010 8:48:58 PM)

QBall, he wants to - and I'm allowing him - to invade bases using subs.

He wants a minimum rules game and as I've said to him if that's what he wants that is what he'll get. For the record when he wants to allow something in-game I generally tell him how that will benefit him and how I can use it to my advantage and then I leave it up to him to decide whether he wishes to allow it or not.

If he disallows it then that's fine.

If he allows it then it is because he believes it'll benefit him more than I --- and it is my job to work things so it doesn't.

So, going with multiple drop zones is a consequence of freedoms he wanted and, thus, granted me. That I've taken advantage of it first is simply his bad luck ;-).

Today my forces begin to unload at Ponape covered by 4 BBs, multiple CAs and DDs. I expect the island to fall pretty rapidly. My CVs are making for Roi-Namur and should have SBDs in range of the island.. I see CLs and other ships there... It might be an SC TF or it might be mini-KB. Either way I want it dead and have moved so my SBDs will be in range tomorrow.

As to Ponape - I am moving my CVs away cause I'm happy to invite his SC TFs from Truk ( my subs show TFs gathering there ) into mutually immolative conflict. If he wants to intervene he is going to have to commit BBs and CAs. If he commits them I'll damage them. If I damage them then they won't be available to cover the invasion of Sumatra. If he doesn't have enough BBs and CAs to cover the invasion of Sumatra then:
a) I boost the survival rate of Force Z and the R class BBs- being willing to lose them doesn't mean not playing smart to maximise the odds in my favour.
b) I boost the effectiveness of the 24-30 x 6 inch+ CD guns I have in Sumatra ready to pound his invasion TFs.

So, even swapping damaged BBs for damaged CAs, while an unfavourable tactical loss will be a highly favourable strategic exchange for me.

At least 3 days until KB can intervene if it has been sprinting from Takao... I ran the CL TF into Badeldoab last night and it found nothing... Last night was the night that I calculated KB would reach Badeldoab from Takao if it sprinted in. I have enough fuel to send the CLs in for another 2 nights... If they run into KB on one of those nights I'll know its schedule perfectly --- and disrupt it. If they don't then KB is up to something else.

In other news --- Mike is reactive. My assessment is he will try to hit Ponape with surface raiders and will push up his planning for counter-invasion of Onnekotan-jima as a sort of "reaction" to try to draw my CVs off and uncover my invasion TFs for KB and SC TF intervention in the Marshalls. I have begun moving my BBs in NORPAC into position to deal with this expected threat. There are so few subs, so few Netties and so much bad weather that I'm happy to operate these surface assets without aircover in this region.

I think it is instructive just how much action in NORPAC, the Marshalls and elsewhere is all aimed at shaping the battlefield on landing day in Sumatra. This is what I talk about when I talk about multiple axes synergising to support a single axis of decision. This game will be decided by the outcome of combat in a single 46 mile hex over a 6 day period of time. That hex will be either Oosthaven or Benkoenen or Palembang ( but I think much more likely to be one of the first two ). Everything everywhere else on the map is in service to shaping those 6 days in that hex in my favour.

bklooste -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/20/2010 3:04:20 AM)

Your going to risk a CL TF to confirm a suspiciuon on KBs loc ????

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/21/2010 4:12:46 PM)

No, not precisely...

I'm going to risk a CL TF in order to:

1. Disrupt any TFs ( transport or combat ) using Badeldoab as a base for refuelling or picking up/unloading troops, supplies etc.

2. If the TF I disrupt is KB then I will have localised KB and confirmed its reaction towards the Marshalls operation.

KB is his primary means of achieving strategically decisive decision on-map at a critical time and place ( IOW it can delay USN ripostes for 18 months with one good day's work if it sinks CVs and BBs etc )... Knowing where his primary strategically decisive asset is is probably the most important bit of intel I can have. Being able to know whether or not it is reacting to my Marshalls operation helps determine the entire tenor of those operations. E.g. yesterday I found 40 Zeroes on CAP over Kwajalein. I IDed Zeroes from at least three CVLs/CVEs. Now if KB is steaming in behind me then I don't have much time to deal with mini-KB but if KB isn;t really reacting then I have lots of time in which to organise my strikes etc and dislocate mini-KB so as to create the best conditions possible for the actual exchange.

3. IF I disrupt KB with an evening raid on Badeldoab then I delay his CV refuelling by a day and buy my shipping in the Marshalls another day of peace. That could be the difference between saving or losing 2 or 3 BBs.

As to "risking" the CL TF... It ends up 8 hexes from Badeldoab and sprints in at night. It ends the turn outside of Kate or Val range from Badeldoab ( assuming the IJN CVs are forced out of Badeldoab and don't retreat south-west ) and thus the "risk" to the CL TF is actually pretty slight.

It is an apparently audacious and risky move which appears to be happily risking great loss..... superficially.... When one examines the nuts and bolts though there is far less risk involved than might initially appear to be involved and the pay-off is worth it... not if one looks at the loss of the TF in isolation but if one looks at the entire strategic direction the potential loss is being accepted only in order to save far more shipping elsewhere.

As it is I am quite confident now that KB hasn't reached Badeldoab and thus I have an extra day (or more ) to deal with mini-KB.

In other news:

1. Game bug showed 42 million support troops dying from aerial bombardment of Manilla. Amusing but not of importance.

2. I got 111 AV ashore at Ponape. I ran into a naval fort which teleported in there after the game began ( a mechanism I dislike ) and while Mike got very excited about "heavy fires" being present on the Pennsylvania he overlooked the fact that by the PM phase those "heavy fires" were just ordinary fires and there was no news of heavy damage. I haven't seen the replay or turn file but I am betting his 5 inch CD guns just pummelled the BB's superstructure and caused a lot of fires there but not much more than that. I'll end up with 10 to 20 system damage before the fires are out and will dock Pennsylvania to repair the damage but, overall, what he thought might be a BB in trouble will not turn out to be so.

The 2 BBs and CAs did their job well though. Of the 30+ AKs assigned to transport the troops to Ponape only one got heavily damaged. Almost all of the others didn't even get hit at all. I am expecting a CA/fast BB raid tonight at Ponape so I'm going to leave my BB-centred SC TF in place to handle such a force. With a little luck that could pull the sting from the SC TFs operating out of Truk.

3. It also looks as though I managed to kill 3 PBs and hit a couple of DDs between Eniwetok, Roi Namur and Kwajalein. The Kwaj strike looks like it lost a half-dozen SBDs+ due to Zeroes. I am going to respond by sending SC TFs to sweep Roi Namur and Eniwetok ( and possibly Kwajalein ) with a view to clearing the way before the amphibious landings at Eniwetok and Roi-Namur... Any SC TF at Kwaj would just be aimed at pushing mini-KB out to sea. The question is whether or not that would be a good thing for me to do. While it is in a coastal hex it suffers some penalties to CAP levels etc so, overall, it may suit me better to just leave it where it is... although I am half expecting it to sprint west if I continue plodding east with a view to hitting the BBs I am uncovering at Ponape. Choices, choices, choices.

Elsewhere Mike is landing at Shimishuri Jima...Unless he has brought more than he is currently unloading I don't think he has enough to take it. With that said my BB TF in the area is moving to intervene and try and pick up a few easy kills. An additional infantry regiment and CD guns are only about 2 to 4 days out from Paramushiro Jima so I'm fairly confident of being able to hold at Paramushiro. Shimishuri was always an expendable pawn.

undercovergeek -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/21/2010 4:33:02 PM)

dear God youre a terrifying opponent!!! [:(]

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/21/2010 5:47:49 PM)

undercovergeek.... I'm puzzled and don't understand... Why terrifying? I can think of a few ways you mean it ( non-derogatory of course ) but I amn't sure which of them you mean.

I think it could be a reflection of my willingness to accept losses for gain, my emphasis on rational analysis as opposed to wishful thinking or my attempts to predict Mike's movements ( reasonably successfuly although not perfectly so far ). Or =, of course, it could be a reflection of my being terrifying in some other way - taking the game too seriously ( I honestly only play it to relax ) or something along those lines. It may be something else entirely of course.

If you wouldn't mind I'd appreciate if you could clarify. I'm puzzled how anyone would find playing me terrifying... It is all for relaxation after all.

undercovergeek -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/21/2010 6:20:50 PM)

Nemo, it is nothing more than a deep and horrible fear and respect of your ruthless analysis of the game, no holds barred advance, and cruel to be kind advice!

Ive always looked at parts of the map and analysed it in conjunction with my strategy how sometimes whole tracts of the Emperors hard gotten gains are open for exploit and here it is laid before me, my worst nightmare - i dont expect to see troop laden APs heading west from Hawaii until 1943 and yet within days of my glorious attack on Pearl here they would come were i your opponent - terrifying - in another AAR i saw you advancing through Vietnam and Burma at a horrible rate of speed far early than the Emporer would consider fair!!!

No disrespect, no offence, no disparagement - just admiration of a truly horrible opponent. The same could be seen in other AARs of other games youve played.

Im sure your lovely and a bundle of fun across candlelight with Mrs Nemo, but behind the Allied advance - terrifying

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/21/2010 6:36:01 PM)

LOL! There is nothing to fear... but forgetting to do the chores.... I tell you, the ruthless relentlesness of the Allied advance has nothing on the look you get then.

Seriously though, ok, I had thought that might be your reasoning. It is fair enough really, I suppose. I didn't think you were being disparaging I just really don't have a view of myself as being in any way scary. Very objective when it comes to the game, sure but scary as an opponent? Never. I'm very much average tactically and operationally and I, frankly, suck at naval operations. I'm not too bad at aerial stuff and I'd say I'm pretty good strategically and with ground warfare but operationally, tactically and with naval ops ( especially carrier ops ) I'm either average or below average.

It all comes down to perception and relative viewpoints of course.

Thanks for the explanation. It was very interesting to read.

2ndACR -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/21/2010 6:57:20 PM)

Well, I have played you Nemo and you are terrifying in your play style........Every time I thought you would go right, you went left, once you decide where you are going, you bring the kitchen sink with you. That in itself is scary.

But you are a fun opponent to play, never a lack of action playing you. LOL

Would love a re-match if I ever find the time to commit. I have AE, but have yet to find the time to really learn the changes.

Capt. Harlock -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/21/2010 8:39:33 PM)

quote:

. Game bug showed 42 million support troops dying from aerial bombardment of Manilla. Amusing but not of importance.

Does it affect the victory points, and so the auto-victory? And, granted, this time it doesn't really matter, but if it happens again to support troops concerned with airfield or aircraft maintenance it might make a very big difference.

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/22/2010 1:08:16 AM)

No, I think it is a pure FOW issue... The number pops up but it is a simple error of FOW and doesn't mean I've lost 4 million squads or anything.

In other news: My suspicion re: the shore battery fire vs the BBs was correct. Pennsylvania has 30 system damage ( none of it major ) and all guns in working order. Virginia has 16 system damage, none of it major, and all guns in working order.

It seems the guns just peppered the superstructure but didn't cause any significant damage.

My ground forces will attack at Ponape tomorrow while SC TFs will move into Eniwetok and Roi-Namur in preparation for landing of troops there in 2 days time... My CVs remain to cover the invasion forces and I am maintaining a watching brief for mini-KB. Once I know which way it is going to try to move I'll react. Until that time I'm happy protecting my invasion fleet and pinning it back at Kwajalein a little.

Andy Mac -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/22/2010 1:32:15 AM)

Nemo is terrifying as an opponent in one game early doors on his EA mod he went for pearl against me and I went all out to hold it (wasnt quite my playstyle so we quit 1st week in jan) anyway he had me convinced that he could keep on pouring resources in and would stop at nothiong to win.

It was only when I got to read his AAR that I realiased how close I was to making him change strategy but I never had a clue in game or int he emails !!!

re micommunuication if I thought a game was a test and learning game and not a 'real' game it would be slightly irritating to be told a misleading piece of info - in a proper game I would expect it and trust nothing my opponents says to me but if in my mind it was an out and out test game to learn mechanics and I realised after the fact that my opponent had been playing for real (which defacto would involve this kind of misleading answer) then it could be jarring for a few minurtes - nothing to get to upset over though - of course givent he time involved I would never enter into a game of 1600 turns as a test......

modrow -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/22/2010 12:29:58 PM)

Gentlemen,

let me offer my view on things relating to the last few issues in this thread.

I'd like to begin with a tongue in cheek comment, which sort of defines the subject here:

Nemo definitely is the only player I am aware of who is sensitive to being exposed to too slow a feed into his OODA loop - ususally, the opposite is true and you have to try to swamp/beat your opponent there [;)]

End of tongue in cheek. Actually, the above defines the subject of this post for me - once again good old OODA (which has a lot to do with perception and relative viewpoints, btw.). Lots of the above "terrific opponent" comments mean that even without playing against Nemo (thus without even being exposed to the e-mail communication and the direct perception of things on the map) he has messed with your perception already. How much more so with the one of his current opponent...

Let me stress that I had hardly any opponent playing against whom was so much fun, so much intellectual stimulation - simply because of that off-map approach contributing. You may deduct from that my position re. (mis-)information by e-mail: Totally legitimate for me, part of breaking into the other person's OODA loop. Actually a huge part of the fun.

Personally, I also like a lot that Nemo plays this approach very openly and shares his view on things and his approaches with everyone who is interested. Sometimes a bit hidden - his last post does indicate what he is not good at, add what is left out in his list and read the above posts by former opponents and you will see what he excels at - an eye for the strategic opportunity and breaking into his opponent's OODA loop - making him think he will go left when he goes right, leading him astray, a certain reputation of willingness to throw all he has into the fray and not being afraid of slaughter (note that I think this applies only as much as it enables him to get closer to his strategic goal). The units are tools to be used for that purpose and should be subordinated to that purpose.

Thus, everyone please take a step back. You have the same tools at your disposal, he is not exempt from the rules of this game engine and much less lady luck's best friend. There are no loaded electronic dice. This is not about good luck or bad luck. Do not look at the map looking for a nightmare, look closely at the nightmare to figure out an opportunity hidden inside. This may require a) improving one's strategic analysis, b) improving screening one's own and sharpening the tools of interaction with the opponent's OODA loop and c) analytical, methodical gameplay without sloppyness.
I firmly believe that this is the road to success- even and especially against Nemo. Note that I stress specifically that I have a long way to walk on that road myself. But this is what one should strive for in my opininon.

As always, just my view on things.

Hartwig

edits= several continuations due to unstable internet connection

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

LOL! There is nothing to fear... but forgetting to do the chores.... I tell you, the ruthless relentlesness of the Allied advance has nothing on the look you get then.

Seriously though, ok, I had thought that might be your reasoning. It is fair enough really, I suppose. I didn't think you were being disparaging I just really don't have a view of myself as being in any way scary. Very objective when it comes to the game, sure but scary as an opponent? Never. I'm very much average tactically and operationally and I, frankly, suck at naval operations. I'm not too bad at aerial stuff and I'd say I'm pretty good strategically and with ground warfare but operationally, tactically and with naval ops ( especially carrier ops ) I'm either average or below average.

It all comes down to perception and relative viewpoints of course.

Thanks for the explanation. It was very interesting to read.

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/22/2010 9:13:01 PM)

You know, if one were really, really, really cynical one could argue that the cultivation of such a perception in others was the ultimate mind-game one could play... Having opponents enter a game convinced that there are plans within plans, deceptions in every obvious move, ruthlessness, terrifying single-mindedness and an unnerring ability to match the losses to strategic advantage gained is a strategic advantage of incalculable power.

Consider.... two players make the same foray with an SC TF. In both games the TF gets spotted many hundreds of miles from its target and both players abort. Player 1 is a player of average reputation not known for subtlety, Player 2 is a player with a reputation for mind-games, double-think, deception and, generally, showing you a move in one area while he silently guts you in another.

I would aver that an opponent facing player 1 would think, "Hmm, it looks like I spotted a force and he aborted." An opponent facing player 2 would most likely think, "Hmm, I spotted a force which has disappeared. Has he succeeded in sneaking it in closer using the weather like he did in AAR Z many times or is he showing me this to pull my forces out of position while he hits me elsewhere? Hmm, if I react I may play into his hands, if I don't I may play into his hands. I'd better go around the rest of the map looking for traps."

In both cases, however, all that happened is that a TF pulled back when spotted. The acme of messing with one's opponents' minds is to ensure that even when you aren't they are so convinced you are that they mess with their own minds for you, turning the innocuous into the Machiavellian.

Of course, only cynical people would consider a player might try to cultivate such a meta-game advantage and only a few others would consider that such a meta-game advantage could actually succeed. It is, however, in my opinion, an aspect to ponder.

2ndACR, Ah zigging when I should zag... Or maybe I never zigged or zagged but merely maintained a direct course which, to the eye of the watching submarine captain looks like zig-zagging as he changes relative bearings assuming I'm zig-zagging. That's actually quite an interesting problem in gunlaying, the perception of extreme enemy zig-zags when what is actually happening is that the enemy is steaming straight while your own zig-zagging gives the appearance of them zig-zagging.

I remember that Andy... Sometimes the reputation for loss-insensitivity which would make Stalin blush comes in handy. I personally find that the kay is just to be willing to accept 1 more loss than one's opponent. Everyone thinks their own loss potential is rational and that anyone who goes beyond that is either mistaken or irrational. If you go beyond that and fail you are deemed error-prone. If you go beyond that and win you are deemed irrational most of the time or terrifying the rest of the time. What determines the difference between irrational and terrifying? It varies but historically when you read the historical accounts of nations which came up against cultures which were less loss-averse what seems to have determined whether they saw the culture as irrational or terrifying is whether or not they thought the decision behind the loss acceptance was cold-blooded and calculated or the result of some primeval fury and inability to choose a different path.

I think I was just willing to accept a little more loss than you and so you blinked first. You pushed me very, very hard on that one though. I had a fairly unshakeable belief that you would blink first but for a while I really wondered if you'd outlast me.

Hartwig, hartwig, hartwig... An excellent post. Perception vs reality, is objective reality a fallacy and if so is all perception flawed? I would, obviously, argue yes. Perception is flawed, manipulable and subject to meta-situational manipulation - albeit that such manipulation has to have occurred prior to the situation also- reputation is a good example of this.

quote:

The units are tools to be used for that purpose and should be subordinated to the purpose.

Very true. Soviet doctrine preaches the subordination of the strategic to the national policy objective, the subordination of the operational to the strategic, the subordination of the tactical to the operational and the subordination of the unit to the tactical.

In the final analysis men and units are expendable assets whose purpose is to further the achievement of the national policy objective. Those assets should be utilised most effectively and efficiently ( leaving aside for now the fact that effective and efficient are neither mutually inclusive or exclusive ) in order to achieve those national policy objectives.

E.g. I had budgeted that the Marshalls op was worth a CV to me. It looks like that is what it will cost me. Am I concerned about the loss of the CV? Well, it would be better not to lose it but so long as I don't exceed the worth of the islands ( in terms of units lost ) then I am happy for the exchange.

Of course much of the above is predicated on someone playing a meta-game which would require meta-analysis and a meta-view of the forum as a tool... something which is not simply an entity which is but is an entity which can be used. That's a major leap but also an interesting possibility to contemplate which is why I mention it.

Obviously I am alive to the reality that merely mentioning it will plant the idea in some peoples' heads that I am implying this is what I or others do. No such statement is made but, again, people generally choose to see things not as those things are but as those people are and as those people wish things to be. Denial or confirmation has less weight than one's own internal perceptional bias and, as such, I choose to provide no counterweight. All must draw their own conclusions. I am happy to discuss the concepts and possibilities though as, frankly, the mind-game inherent in such discussion amuses me.

Elsewhere, one reason I am more than happy to discuss my thoughts etc so freely is that due to the weighting people tend to give their own perceptual biases the reality is that I could email my opponents my entire plan of action for the next 6 months and the majority of them would still not gain full benefit. Why? They could certainly assess the plan and understand its ramifications but if it did not sit well with their preconceptions I imagine several would dismiss it as a mind-game ( in essence they would talk themselves out of the obvious and into the convoluted and then when they fail convince themselves NOT that I was actually obvious but more convoluted than they ever thought possible ).

Lastly.... I firmly believe that simple, solid strategy, rationally and objectively arrived at without recourse to preconception averagely executed on the operational or tactical level would handily beat me every time. The problem is that rational and objective is almost non-existent. Many have more skills than I etc but are they rational and objective? Simply look at all the posts decrying various flaws in the game without sufficient proof. That's irrational and non-objective yet it is one of the most frequent post types on the forum.

Overall though I think my point is that perception lends the patina of reality to things irrespective of the underlying objective situation. If one expects a mind-game and complexity and deviousness then that is what one sees. E.g. If one expects zig-zags then even a straight course looks merely like a long zig or zag. Perhaps though the fault is my perception... Perhaps my psy-ops are devilishly complicated and I merely consider them simple and do them less than justice? Who knows? Does it even matter?

SqzMyLemon -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/22/2010 9:33:06 PM)

Nemo, I just wish you were playing as the Japanese [:D]. I'm new to the game, and find Japan hard enough to run on their own, let alone the possiblity of confronting the Allied forces controlled by a player such as yourself (that's a compliment by the way [;)]) I'm enjoying your AAR, and the discussions within discussions. Please feel free to avoid my AAR, I shudder at the thought of what a strategic/pyschological analysis by you might reveal! Give me a few more games under my belt. Good luck the rest of the way.

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/22/2010 10:02:00 PM)

And now for the turn:

1. Lexington takes 4 bombs and 2 torpedoes. I assume she is left in sinking condition. My CAP should have been over 50 fighters but at the crucial time it dropped to about 20 fighters. Given that there were 20 escorts that meant that too few fighters were available to maul the bombers.

2. Saratoga also took a bomb but she is still in fine shape.

3. Allied ground forces took Ponape. Allied ground forces were beaten badly at Eniwetok but Eniwetok is non-essential. In any case I can let the ground units there rest up, regain their strength and, with the support of LBA, try again in a couple of weeks time.

4. Multiple IJN TFs were destroyed all around Kwajalein. At least 4 DDs and about a half-dozen PBs were sunk at points from Eniwetok to Kwajalein.

5. Mini-KB consists of 3 CVLs ( Zuiho, Ryujo and one others ) and 1 CVE ( Shoho ). I put a 1000lber into Shoho and another into the CVL whose name I forget right now. I also IDed 3 BBs and a CA in concert with mini-KB. Fat pickings indeed. On ther other hand it seems like mini-KB has been loaded with about 100 fighters.... far more than I can deal with at this stage of the war from USN CVs. Sadly I got over 80 SBDs through IJN CAP with only 6 planes lost but they managed to only score 2 hits. Pretty pathetic. Later raids were poorly escorted and got butchered but 2 hits from 80 planes is disappointing. Still, strategically this is still on course.

6. My BB TF is 1 day from Shimishuri Jima. That'd add quite a few more PBs to the sunk list. I don't think the IJA has landed enough at Shimishuri Jima to be decisive. If you go in go in hard, don't sit around sending in small packets of troops.

7. An IJN TF looks to be trying to land infantry at Wake... Bad move, I have two Bns of troops and a portion of a USMC Defence Bn there. That's more than enough to take out withstand this TF.

8. Roi-Namur looks ripe for the taking and I plan to take it tomorrow. I will then rush in the ARs I have in my support TF and dock Lexington. With a little luck that AR might just save the Lexington. Even if that fails I can unload the fighters etc and use them from Roi-Namur.

9. Tomorrow about 30 B-17s are going to begin basing out of Ponape to begin harrassing the enemy and, perhaps, bombing Roi-Namur and Eniwetok.

10. USN SC TFs are now at Roi Namur and Eniwetok and both places have been cleared of enemy shipping. The invasion TFs can unload in peace --- unless the IJN sends in more SC TFs from their reserves/mini-KB. My assessment is that Mike will try to disrupt the landings at Roi-Namur by sending in his BBs and his CA from mini-KB. I am preparing to meet that threat by committing double the BBs ( about 6 ) and many CAs, CLs and DDs to Roi-Namur. Even an unfavourable exchange rate there works for me in the long run so long as I take Roi-Namur as his cripples will be at my mercy the day after and once I have Roi-Namur I can begin uncrating some of the 200+ planes I have along ( fighters and dive-bombers mostly ).

There's almost no action in the DEI at present. Two Bdes of the Australian 6th Division are already unloaded at Oosthaven and a third is unloading there today. One more day of unloading ( I have flooded Oosthaven with an unholy amount of Naval Support units so it can unload a 10,000 ton AP in two turns [:D] despite being only a Level 3 port ) and the entire 6th Oz Division will be added to the defence of Sumatra. As of right now I am verging on having 4,000 AV available in Sumatra. I don't see how Mike can successfully invade even with the committment of the entire Southern Regional Army nevermind exploiting up into Burma or down into Oz. I think this strategic plan is looking like it will work.

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/24/2010 8:45:31 PM)

Well, today looks like I doubled the number of IJN shipping sunk so far in the war in a single day. There were utterly cataclysmic battleline battles around Roi-Namur, a multitude of CV TF mid-ocean intercepts with USN SC TFs and even transport TFs running into mini-KB and my Devastators claiming some enemy scalps as my 3 battleworthy CVs ran for cover. An IJN submarine also put paid to Lexington.

In other news: Amphibious invasions are ROUGH... I landed over 200 AV at Roi-Namur and got an adjusted AV of 9... My troops are all at over 50% preparation also so it really shows the need for thorough preparation. Still, I have numbers on my side and with enough attacks and enough sacrifice of blood on my part the attrition will simply wear down the defenders at Roi-Namur and then it'll be mine.

All in all I think today saw the sinking of a multitude of IJN PBs, AKs and APs ( I'd say about 15 PBs and 7 or 8 AKs and APs went down ) as well as the almost certain sinking of two BBs including one of the 16 inch gun Ise/Hyuga class - which is a really nice, modern, powerful BB to sink - thanks to USN SC TFs and devastators respectively. One USN BB is confirmed sunk and another is heavily damaged but, hell, I just get two more R Class BBs tomorrow so my losses are utterly replaceable. His simply aren't. Every BB he loses here is one less BB to cover his Sumatran invasion.

With the loss of one USN CV the IJN has definitely gotten a significant win but the loss of over 12 DDs over the past 4 days and the 2 BBs ( as well as a CVE which I think must be doomed somewhere nearby ) is going to hurt. What will hurt even more is his realisation that he hasn't brought enough to take Shimishuri Jima from me.

I will post the full combat report and analysis in about an hour's time. Overall though while the CV battle went badly my decision to stick around and brave mini-KB's riposte has paid dividends. An even exchange rate is a massive win for me.

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/24/2010 10:32:13 PM)

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 07, 42

I'm going to edit this so that the pointless stuff isn't shown.... This was such a long combat report that only the essentials can be dealt with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pre-Invasion action off Wake Island - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

6 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
xAK Yamagiri Maru, Shell hits 6, heavy fires

4th Marine Defense Battalion firing at xAK Yamagiri Maru

The Yamagiri Maru was so heavily damaged by this that the invasion TF withdrew. That's the second day of attempted landings scuppered. I had taken the decision, yesterday, to abandon the Lexington to its fate and to allow my surface fleet to stand up to mini-KB. My calculation was that Mike would try to disrupt the landings at Roi Namur with his surface fleet and that mini-KB would be, essentially, out of torpedoes and thus not much of a threat to my forces.... Sheer numbers would ensure enough survived to push my landings through.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack near Roi-Namur at 131,113

Japanese Ships
SS I-15, hits 1

Allied Ships
PC Travis
PC Jackson
AM Bobolink
AM Robin
AM Turkey
AV Wright
AV Tangier
AVD McFarland
AG Sirius
AG Vega
AE Lassen
PG Moresby
PG Warrego
PG Swan
PG Charleston

A small portion of the support TF is spotted.

Submarine attack near Roi-Namur at 132,114

Japanese Ships
SS I-15

Allied Ships
xAKL Karuah, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

xAKL Karuah is sighted by SS I-15
SS I-15 launches 6 torpedoes at xAKL Karuah

Night Time Surface Combat, near Roi-Namur at 132,114, Range 6,000 Yards

And the combat begins... My CL TF was designed to get into torpedo range. It did this but, unfortunately, none of its shots hit home.

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Shell hits 2
BB Fuso, Shell hits 2
BB Yamashiro
CA Myoko, Shell hits 1
CA Haguro, Shell hits 1
DD Oyashio
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Raleigh, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
CL Trenton
DD Litchfield
DD Chew
DD Schley
DD Ward
DD Talbot, Shell hits 1
DD Dent
DD Crosby
DD Kennison
DD Crane
DD Kilty
DD Brooks
DD Humphreys

Low visibility due to Rain with 60% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Rain and 60% moonlight: 6,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 6,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 6,000 yards
Yano, Hideo* crosses the 'T'

Naval bombardment of Wake Island at 136,98

Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
CL Tenryu
CL Katori

Nice targets.

Allied ground losses:
36 casualties reported
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 5 (0 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 20
Port hits 11
Port supply hits 6

BB Hyuga firing at Wake Island
BB Ise firing at Wake Island
CL Tenryu firing at Wake Island
CL Katori firing at Wake Island

Sub attack near Roi-Namur at 131,113

Japanese Ships
SS I-25

Allied Ships
CV Lexington, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Porter
DD Balch
DD Phelps
DD Selfridge

The Lexington was just about survivable yesterday. This torpedo rang its death knell. Scratch one flattop.

SS I-25 launches 6 torpedoes at CV Lexington
I-25 diving deep ....
DD Balch fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Phelps fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Selfridge fails to find sub and abandons search
Escort abandons search for sub

Pre-Invasion action off Roi-Namur
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force

28 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
CA Minneapolis
CA Astoria
PG Sacramento
AP President Polk

Japanese ground losses:
61 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

CA Minneapolis firing at 6th Base Force
CA Astoria firing at 6th Base Force
PG Sacramento firing at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 5,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 1,000 yards

The CAs did good work suppressing the CD guns.

Amphibious Assault at Roi-Namur

TF 152 troops unloading over beach at Roi-Namur, 132,114

Allied ground losses:
522 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 64 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 47 disabled
Guns lost 48 (0 destroyed, 48 disabled)
Vehicles lost 30 (1 destroyed, 29 disabled)

Rather costly in terms of disablements and disruption but hopefully mass will overwhelm the enemy.

13 troops of a USMC Rifle Squad lost from landing craft during unload of 8th Marine Rgt
Motorized Support accidentally lost during unload of 8th Marine Rgt /6

Invasion Support action off Eniwetok

13 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
AP William Ward Burrows

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

I'm just unloading the support elements for the Allied forces ashore at Eniwetok. They won't help any assault much but they will help my forces recover disruption and disablement and, over time, they might make the difference.

Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 2,000 yards

Day Time Surface Combat, near Roi-Namur at 132,114, Range 14,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Shell hits 38, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Fuso
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 4
CA Myoko
CA Haguro, Shell hits 1
DD Oyashio, Shell hits 1
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 2, on fire

Allied Ships
BB Nevada, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
BB Oklahoma, Shell hits 8, on fire
BB Arizona, Shell hits 51, and is sunk

CL Leander, Shell hits 1
CL Achilles, Shell hits 1, on fire
CL Perth, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Hughes, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Anderson
DD Hammann
DD Russell, Shell hits 1
DD O'Brien, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Walke, Shell hits 1
DD Fox

Reduced visibility due to Rain
Maximum visibility in Rain: 15,000 yards
Range closes to 20,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 20,000 yards
Range closes to 14,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 14,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 14,000 yards
Gruenther, K.S. crosses the 'T'

Essentially I lost one BB in return for heavy damage to Nagato - which looks unlikely to survive. Another of my BBs is heavily damaged but will probably survive if it docks reasonably soon ---- I have my eye on Ponape as the port it will dock at.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein Island at 131,117, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo
CVL Zuiho
CVE Taiyo
CS Chiyoda
CL Yura
DD Tadeshiwa
DD Tachekaze

Allied Ships
xAKL Argus
xAKL Morazan
xAKL Prusa
xAKL Darvel
xAKL Kini
xAKL Lorinna

LOL! Neither TF wanted to tangle so both decided discretion was the better part of valour.

Low visibility due to Rain
Range increases to 21,000 yards...
Both Task Forces evade combat

Day Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein Island at 133,115, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
PB Takuna Maru #7, Shell hits 2, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CA San Francisco
AP Barnett
AP Henderson
AP President Jackson
AP Crescent City
xAP Chaumont
xAP St. Mihel
xAP Republic
xAP President Fillmore
xAP President Tyler
xAP President Buchanan
xAP President Taylor
AK Procyon
xAK Henry S Grove
xAK Santa Teresa
xAK Mobile City
xAK Steel Age
xAK Steel Mariner
xAK Steel Scientist
xAK Steel Worker
xAK Dorothy Luckenbach
xAK Lillian Luckenbach
xAK Liberty
xAP Sarpedonia
xAK Aloe
xAK Hauraki
xAK Oakbank
xAK Peisander
xAK Wanaka
xAK Silksworth
xAP Bloemfontein
xAK Zvir
xAP Maori
xAP Wahine
xAP Merkur
xAP Malaita
xAP Taroona
xAP Nairana
xAP Matua
xAK Iron Prince
xAK Mangola
xAK Illisos

This TF is heading to Wotje...

Submarine attack near Ponape at 119,113

Japanese Ships
SS RO-63

Allied Ships
xAK Lancaster, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

xAK Lancaster is sighted by SS RO-63
SS RO-63 launches 4 torpedoes at xAK Lancaster

Day Time Surface Combat, near Roi-Namur at 131,116, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo
CVL Zuiho
CVE Taiyo
CS Chiyoda
CL Yura
DD Tadeshiwa
DD Tachekaze

Allied Ships
CL Trenton
DD Litchfield
DD Chew
DD Schley
DD Ward
DD Talbot
DD Dent
DD Crosby
DD Kennison
DD Crane
DD Kilty
DD Brooks
DD Humphreys

Reduced visibility due to Rain
Range closes to 18,000 yards...
Range closes to 16,000 yards...
Range closes to 14,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 14,000 yards
Japanese TF attempts to evade combat

Range increases to 15,000 yards...
Range increases to 16,000 yards...
Range increases to 17,000 yards...
Range increases to 18,000 yards...
Range increases to 19,000 yards...
Range increases to 20,000 yards...
Range increases to 21,000 yards...
Range increases to 22,000 yards...
Range increases to 23,000 yards...
Range increases to 24,000 yards...
Range increases to 25,000 yards...
Range increases to 25,000 yards...
Japanese Air Combat TF evades combat

DAMN but this would have been nice... I was quite hoping some of my light CL-led DD TFs would make contact with mini-KB. It did but mini-KB spotted it first and managed to run away.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 7,000 Yards

This was the most satisfying combat of the turn.... The 2 IJN BBs sunk are more important strategically but sinking this many ships in one go was quite pleasant. The next time he tries to take back one of these bases he's going to have to commit either mini-KB or his own BBs to cover the invasion. Either is fine, I can create traps for either eventuality.

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
No Japanese losses

Japanese Ships
CM Tsugaru, Shell hits 4, and is sunk
AMc Fumi Maru #2, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
AMc Seki Maru #3, Shell hits 5, and is sunk

PB Kyo Maru #8, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
PB Kyo Maru #10, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
PB Shoei Maru, Shell hits 4, and is sunk

PB Shotoku Maru, Shell hits 13, heavy fires, heavy damage
PB Sonan Maru #5, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
PB Sonan Maru #6, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
PB Shuko Maru #5, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
TK Moji Maru, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
AV Kiyokawa Maru, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

xAK Yokohama Maru, Shell hits 23, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Matsue Maru, Shell hits 11, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Venice Maru, Shell hits 18, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Kogyoku Maru, Shell hits 12, and is sunk
xAK Nishimi Maru, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
xAK China Maru, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
xAK Cheribon Maru, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Daifuku Maru, Shell hits 13, and is sunk
xAK Kuraido Maru, Shell hits 13, and is sunk

Allied Ships
BB Maryland, Shell hits 1
BB Colorado, Shell hits 6
DD Helm
DD Mugford
DD Ralph Talbot
DD Henley
DD Patterson
DD Jarvis
DD Gridley
DD McCall

So, 16 ships sunk and another 5 left in sinking condition. They might only mostly be PBs but every little bit helps. The TK is a nice bonus.

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Tambor

Well, I think that's Nagato taken care of.

Submarine attack near Ponape at 119,113

Japanese Ships
SS RO-63

Allied Ships
xAP Diomed, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
Vehicles lost 4 (2 destroyed, 2 disabled)

xAP Diomed is sighted by SS RO-63
SS RO-63 launches 6 torpedoes at xAP Diomed

Japanese Ships
SS RO-64

Allied Ships
xAKL Lady Isobel, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
21 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Morning Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 64,97

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 11 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Annalock
TK British Venture
xAK Vitorlock

Time to put another Netty ambush in place over Balikpapan methinks.

Morning Air attack on Imperial Guards Division, at 55,56

I'm running the first ground attacks in against IJA forces in Burma as part of my plan to continue grinding the Imperial Guards Division down... I'll take more casualties than I cause but, over time, I'll gain experience and my overall combat strength will increase as his falls.

Meanwhile the other half of my force is already busy pushing into Thailand.

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 14

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x Blenheim I bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Also attacking 15th Army ...
Also attacking Imperial Guards Division ...

Morning Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 138,102

As my 3 CVs ran north towards a position 4 hexes south-west of Wake in order to unleash torpedo strikes on the enemy shipping there they found the amphibious TF retreating and managed to claim their tithe.

Raid spotted at 39 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Allied aircraft
F2A-3 Buffalo x 1
F4F-3A Wildcat x 3
F4F-3 Wildcat x 6
TBD-1 Devastator x 41

Allied aircraft losses
TBD-1 Devastator: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AMC Bankok Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAP Suwa Maru
xAP Mizuho Maru, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
xAP Ural Maru
xAP Kamakura Maru
DD Kuri

Japanese ground losses:
111 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 4 (0 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (0 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x TBD-1 Devastator launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 22in Mk 13 Torpedo
12 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 6000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 500 lb SAP Bomb
14 x TBD-1 Devastator launching torpedoes at 200 feet
13 x TBD-1 Devastator launching torpedoes at 200 feet

About two-thirds of the Devastators launched torps but one-third dropped bombs only. A pity as that's pretty much 1/3rd less damage done.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Wotje at 134,115

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4
B5M1 Mabel x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
B5M1 Mabel: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AP Henderson, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Damn, an AP... I only have about 4 of those in the fleet.

Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Morning Air attack on TF, near Roi-Namur at 131,113

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 7
B5N1 Kate x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 5 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 1

Wasted sorties. Bombs won't hurt BBs.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Ailinglaplap at 134,117

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
B5N1 Kate x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Dorothy Philips, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires

But they will hurt xAKs. Fortunately I have over 200 xAKs and xAPs committed to this operation so losses can be accepted.

Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Guns lost 5 (0 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Morning Air attack on TF, near Namorik at 130,118

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 1
B5N1 Kate x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAKL Morazan, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
126 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 4 disabled

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 64,97

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Shillong
TK British Venture, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAK Itria

He'll be back tomorrow to finish the job and then I'll kill a few more Netties.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wotje at 134,115

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 16 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
B5N2 Kate x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Silksworth

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 136,98

Raid spotted at 11 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
F2A-3 Buffalo x 1
F4F-3A Wildcat x 2
F4F-3 Wildcat x 3
SBD-3 Dauntless x 2
TBD-1 Devastator x 38

Allied aircraft losses
TBD-1 Devastator: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB Ise, Bomb hits 4

CL Katori

Three torpedoes into Hyuga. I think that's the end of Hyuga. Ise is pretty much unscratched as bombs won't hurt her much. Still, 2 IJN BBs isn't a bad tally for a day's work. It'll really scupper his covering force for the Sumatran operation as he now needs BBs near Truk/Saipan, near the Kuriles AND as escorts for KB. By the time he meets those 3 committments he is going to find that he's running out of BBs ( 8 left, at least 1 or 2 of which should be in dock repairing right now ).

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Wake Island at 138,102

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 19,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 4
SBD-3 Dauntless x 2
TBD-1 Devastator x 3

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AMC Bankok Maru, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Kuri

Japanese ground losses:
440 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 67 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 21 disabled
Guns lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Ouch, that's a lot of dead troops. Does an AMC really carry that many? I thought they were just minefield tenders.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Roi-Namur at 131,113

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 1
A6M2 Zero x 8
B5N1 Kate x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 2, on fire
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 1

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Ebadon at 131,114

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 52 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5
B5N1 Kate x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CL Leander, Bomb hits 1

Day Time Surface Combat, near Roi-Namur at 132,114, Range 14,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso, Shell hits 4
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 11, on fire
CA Myoko, Shell hits 1
CA Haguro, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Oyashio, Shell hits 1
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CA Portland, Shell hits 3
CA Indianapolis, Shell hits 1
CA Salt Lake City, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Sims, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Allen, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
DD Gilmer
DD Sands, Shell hits 1
DD King
DD Lawrence, Shell hits 1, heavy fires
DD Kane
DD Rathburne, Shell hits 1, on fire

The sheer mass of Allied shipping force the IJN back and protects the invasion TFs.

Japanese Ships
SS RO-64

Allied Ships
xAKL Mortlake Bank, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:

Ground combat at Ponape (119,113)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 4966 troops, 134 guns, 89 vehicles, Assault Value = 179

Defending force 285 troops, 17 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 5

Allied adjusted assault: 47

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 47 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker: disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
575 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 36 destroyed, 28 disabled
Guns lost 40 (26 destroyed, 14 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

The Ponape Fortress has been wiped out. This means that Ponape is now fully mine, forces there can rest and recuperate and, if necessary, prepare for 2nd echelon invasions.

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
87th Mountain Regiment
34th Infantry Rgt /14
131st Field Artillery Battalion
6th Marine Defense Battalion
119th USAAF Base Force /20

Defending units:
Ponape Naval Fortress

Ground combat at Eniwetok (127,108)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 1267 troops, 33 guns, 11 vehicles, Assault Value = 32

Defending force 1460 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 58

Hmm, I don't really have enough to take Eniwetok without some serious air support. My B-17s didn't fly from Ponape ( probably the runway is too small ). Once Roi Namur falls I'll have a Level 4 airfield and can base B-17s out of there. That'll help the regiment equivalent at Eniwetok once it recovers disruption and disablement.

Allied adjusted assault: 9

Japanese adjusted defense: 47

Allied assault odds: 1 to 5 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), preparation(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
163 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Allied ground losses:
204 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 20 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

The Allies get the worst of it but it'll really depend on whether he can reinforce by air more rapidly than I can get bombers into action and recover disablements. Even if Eniwetok doesn't fall I'll be fine as it isn't an airbase and as an atoll to base naval forces out of it serves my purposes in drawing him into SC TF attrition - something I very much want. Also, every CA or BB he bases there is one less CA or BB covering the invasion of Sumatra.

Assaulting units:
1st/298th Infantry Battalion
2nd/298th Infantry Bn /15
Palmyra (Det.) Def Bn /15

Defending units:
Maizuru 1st SNLF

Ground combat at Shimushiri-jima (132,51)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 2238 troops, 14 guns, 50 vehicles, Assault Value = 76

Defending force 2342 troops, 19 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 88

Assaulting units:
161st Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
83rd Naval Guard Unit
1st Raiding Rgt /2
50th JNAF Coy

Eniwetok 2.... I don't have enough at Eniwetok, he doesn't have enough at Shimushiri Jima.

Ground combat at Roi-Namur (132,114)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 5088 troops, 122 guns, 151 vehicles, Assault Value = 204

Defending force 3269 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 36

Allied adjusted assault: 9

Japanese adjusted defense: 35

Allied assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 3)

This gave me a good chuckle. 204 AV adjusted down to 9. Sometimes you've just got to laugh.

Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
536 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 33 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
616 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 47 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 70 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 24 disabled
Vehicles lost 35 (2 destroyed, 33 disabled)

Well, I took heavy losses but the Japanese also lost about 6 or 7 AV equivalents. With more troops landing and more supplies ashore I am hopeful of being able to break the back of the IJA forces defending. Damn but atolls are tough !!!

Assaulting units:
8th Marine Rgt /20
34th Combat Engr Rgt /20
193rd Tank Bn /23
3rd Marine Def Bn /20

Defending units:
7th JNAF Coy
6th Base Force

Well, I'm going to keep pouring it on in Roi Namur. I don't really have a choice, I need an airfield I can unload planes at in order to suppress Wotje and begin prepping the rest of the Marshalls for invasion.

Overall though, strategically, things are going well. 2 IJN BBs are sunk, about a dozen DDs have been sunk in the area and one IJN CVE seems to be in trouble. I think this is also going to have to cause a response by KB --- which could be only 2 days away. YIKES !!!

Still, a response serves me in Sumatra which is the key to the whole thing... Sumatra, Sumatra ueber alles. That's pretty much the refrain.

Q-Ball -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/24/2010 11:26:48 PM)

Interesting battle....too soon to say who won or accomplished objectives. I don't know how important it is to draw KB away from Sumatra, since using it on Sumatra is a poor use of it anyway.

BBs are important in AE, and sinking 2 is a very good thing. Losing a CV though hurts, not to mention Arizona and those cruisers
Committing Baby KB against the USN is playing with fire, he is lucky they didn't get crushed.

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/24/2010 11:47:09 PM)

Re: mini-KB. Aye, he was lucky alright. I got 80 SBDs through in the first two big raids of the day with only about 4 shot down by CAP. So, those SBDs were relatively undisrupted by losses and disorganisation etc. They were at the right altitude and still only managed to get 2 hits. His return raid which could have run into CAP of 50 to 60 fighters ( given my CAP setting ) only ran into just over 20 or so fighters. The end result was his Kates got a free shot at my CVs.

Such is life. Sometimes luck goes your way, sometimes it seems to go all your opponents way. All you can do is roll with the punches and keep maximising the odds in your own favour. Over the course of a long game "luck" will even out and the more skillfull play will win out. That's my belief in any case.

bklooste -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/25/2010 7:03:35 AM)

quote:

Re: mini-KB. Aye, he was lucky alright. I got 80 SBDs through in the first two big raids of the day with only about 4 shot down by CAP. So, those SBDs were relatively undisrupted by losses and disorganisation etc. They were at the right altitude and still only managed to get 2 hits. His return raid which could have run into CAP of 50 to 60 fighters ( given my CAP setting ) only ran into just over 20 or so fighters. The end result was his Kates got a free shot at my CVs.

Such is life. Sometimes luck goes your way, sometimes it seems to go all your opponents way. All you can do is roll with the punches and keep maximising the odds in your own favour. Over the course of a long game "luck" will even out and the more skillfull play will win out. That's my belief in any case.

How many were damaged ? It seems that planes that get shot at just dont drop their bombs on target.

bklooste -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/25/2010 7:27:18 AM)

Whats teh plan for next turn ? He will prob keep being aggresive will he bombard Eniwetok ?

Well you knwo where KB is ... somehwere on a line from Takao to Eniwetok

Three torpedoes into Hyuga. I think that's the end of Hyuga. Ise is pretty much unscratched as bombs won't hurt her much. Still, 2 IJN BBs isn't a bad tally for a day's work. It'll really scupper his covering force for the Sumatran operation as he now needs BBs near Truk/Saipan, near the Kuriles AND as escorts for KB. By the time he meets those 3 committments he is going to find that he's running out of BBs ( 8 left, at least 1 or 2 of which should be in dock repairing right now ).

Especially if his strategy is to defend Pacific with mini KB and BBs.  Speaking of his BBs they have a long trip back to Truk or Japan for reloads esp with a bit of sys dam... Masrshals to Truk is a good place for subs. If you take it as 6 split between pacific and Sumatra then id be sending in 4 BBs :-)

Rainer79 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/25/2010 3:41:20 PM)

quote:

Ouch, that's a lot of dead troops. Does an AMC really carry that many? I thought they were just minefield tenders.

AMC = Armed Merchant Cruiser (which can carry quite a few troops normally)
AMc = coastal minesweeper
ACM = minefield tender

Confused yet?

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/25/2010 8:19:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainer79

quote:

AMC = Armed Merchant Cruiser (which can carry quite a few troops normally)
AMc = coastal minesweeper
ACM = minefield tender

Confused yet?

beat me to it .. hehe .. and yes

Capt. Harlock -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/25/2010 8:30:07 PM)

quote:

almost certain sinking of two BBs including one of the 16 inch gun Ise/Hyuga class

Hello?? Either this is a very different scenario, or you meant 14 inch gun. (But yes, the Nagato is a 16-in-gunned BB, and very valuable to sink.)

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/25/2010 8:45:47 PM)

LOL! I don't have the turn file with me - Mike is only going to get to it on Friday - but I'm pretty sure I have an AMC tending a minefield somewhere in the Pacific. OOPS!!!

So, what are the plans for tomorrow?

Well I have TKs and multiple TFs with planes loaded aboard arriving so I need to just keep unloading at Ponape, bombard a bit and hang on until my troops can take it. Once I have Ponape I'll have aerial superiority in the region - through sheer numbers if nothing else while KB is elsewhere. Essentially numbers will let me beat mini-KB but not KB proper. That's fine though as KB proper coming into the Marshalls area is already a huge strategic victory as Mike CANNOT cover a Sumatran invasion properly with just LBA.

My BBs at Shimushiri Jima will withdraw after bombarding the IJN troops and reprovision at PH before being redeployed. I am considering forming a Fast BB raiding force... although I may just opt for a Fast CA raiding force or two... to slip into Mike's shipping lanes from time to time. There's lots of ocean out there to hide in and use to slip around isolated airbases. I can't be sure but I do get the idea that my raiding is slowing him down, forcing him to convoy lots more than he'd like and maintain standing surface patrols at some bases... Particularly Singkawang, the Phillipines and Singapore. I'd like to begin spreading his naval forces into Saipan, Truk and elsewhere also and I think some fast raiding action might just achieve this. I'll probably lose more in terms of materiel than Mike from these actions but the mathematics behind these actions is not:

USN losses: 2 CA, 6 DDs lost, IJN 4 DDs and 10 planes lost... IJN wins.

It is much more along the lines of:
USN forces not available in Sumatra - 2 CA, 6 DDs, IJN forces not available for Sumatra, 2 BBs, mini-KB, 2 CAs and 15 to 20 DDs.

Plus there's always the chance the USN TFs will find a juicy TK or xAP convoy and blow a huge hole in Japan's war plan.

As to US CVs... Well, they're pretty much out of the war for a few months. I am giving consideration to running them to Darwin, linking up with the British CV stooging around there, offloading their planes into Sumatra and then running them all into Capetown for some upgrading and repairing. They'll also be handy there for the odd trip to Ceylon to pick up reinforcing fighter and light bomber groups which they can bring to within transfer range of Benkoenen and then offload. In another month I could see myself having 800+ planes on Sumatra...

Well that's it for now really.

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/25/2010 8:49:42 PM)

I can't see what I'm typing so I've just posted the combat report below.... Must be some windows update or something.

Anyways, big news is that over the past 2 days both the USN and IJN have lost 3 BBs and that Roi-Namur looks set to fall. Once it does I will move B17s and other planes in and try to take Wotje. Once that's done the B17s will pound Truk. Already A CL has taken a 500lb bomb through the deck there.

LOL! I had that wrong. I thought the Hyugas were the more modern ones. Ah well. Nagato is the one I celebrate most then [:D]

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/27/2010 4:01:18 PM)

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Feb 08, 42

This seems to be working again so here goes....

Night Time Surface Combat, near Roi-Namur at 132,114, Range 8,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 10, on fire
CA Myoko
CA Haguro, Shell hits 1
DD Oyashio, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 3

Allied Ships
CA Salt Lake City, Shell hits 17, and is sunk
CL Achilles, Shell hits 14, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

DD Walke
DD Farragut, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Dewey, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Hull
DD MacDonough, Shell hits 2, and is sunk
DD Worden
DD Dale
DD Monaghan
DD Aylwin
DD Fox
DD Lawrence, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kane, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
DD Rathburne, Shell hits 2, heavy fires

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 17, on fire, heavy damage
CA Myoko, Shell hits 3
CA Haguro
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
BB Nevada, Shell hits 26, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
CA Northampton
CA Chester, Shell hits 5, on fire
CA Astoria
CA Minneapolis, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Lamson, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Shaw
DD Perkins
DD Porter
DD Selfridge
DD Phelps, heavy damage
DD Balch

By the end of this battle Yamashiro was pretty much doomed but she had managed to put paid to the USN BB Nevada also. I was hoping this force would take care of the CA escort also but the IJN admiral "crossed the T" and thus I was lucky to get away with the exchange I got given the unfavourable conditions, including night.

Of note: The Nevada went down after being torpedoed by the IJN CA Haguro. Guess those Long Lances paid off.

Maximum visibility in Overcast Conditions and 50% moonlight: 8,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 8,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 8,000 yards
Obata, Chozaemon crosses the 'T'

Night Time Surface Combat, near Roi-Namur at 132,114, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso
CA Myoko, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
DM Gamble
DM Montgomery, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DM Ramsay
DM Breese
DM Tracy
DM Preble, Shell hits 1
DM Pruitt, Shell hits 2, on fire
DM Sicard, Shell hits 3, and is sunk

These guys laid a 300 mine+ offensive minefield at Kwajalein before running into the Fuso so I'm hoping a couple of CVLs will run into that when they try to reprovision. I was saving it for Ponape as I expect the IJN to bombard there but CVLs have to be a prime target right now.

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso, Shell hits 1
CA Myoko, on fire

Allied Ships
AS Fulton
AV Curtiss, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
AV Tangier, Shell hits 10, and is sunk

AV Wright
AD Dixie
AVD Ballard
AVD McFarland
AVD Thornton
AVD Hulbert
AVD Williamson
AM Kingfisher
AM Turkey
AM Rail
AM Tern
AM Grebe
AM Vireo
AM Robin
AM Bobolink
AE Mauna Loa
AE Lassen
AG Aldebaran
AG Vega, Shell hits 1
AG Sirius
PC Tiger
PC Reliance
PC Kimball
PC Jackson
PC Travis
PG Charleston
PG Swan
PG Warrego
PG Moresby

So, the IJN had the mass to break into my support TF but not into the amphibious TF. Mobbing them overnight worked and kept the amphibious TF safe.

Invasion Support action off Roi-Namur

15 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
PG Sacramento
AP President Polk

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

TF 228 encounters mine field at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese Ships
DMS W-19
DMS W-18
DMS W-17
DMS W-16
DMS W-15
DMS W-14
DMS W-13

176 mines cleared

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso, Shell hits 16, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires
CA Myoko, on fire

Allied Ships
BB Oklahoma, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Portland
CA Indianapolis, Shell hits 3, on fire
CL Leander
DD Sims
DD Hughes, Shell hits 1
DD Anderson
DD Hammann
DD Russell
DD O'Brien
DD Gilmer
DD Sands
DD King

Most of this engagement occurred at 2,000 yards and featured each BB putting multiple main gun shells right into the opposing BB. Oklahoma sunk later while Fuso looks like she won't make it home. It is a LONG way to Truk from Roi-Namur.

Submarine attack near Madjene at 65,102

Japanese Ships
SS I-165

Allied Ships
xAKL Taurus, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Night Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein Island at 132,116, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo
CVL Zuiho
CVE Taiyo
CS Chiyoda

CL Yura
DD Tadeshiwa
DD Tachekaze

Allied Ships
DM Gamble
DM Ramsay
DM Breese
DM Tracy
DM Preble, Shell hits 1, heavy fires

A rather stronger mini-KB than I was expecting. It looks like I was expecting to find 3 CVLs/CVEs but, instead, was facing 6 CVLs/CVEs + a CS. No wonder my CVs got roughly handled.

My DMs fired multiple salvoes at the CVLs etc but none hit. Rather a pity really.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Roi-Namur at 131,116, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo
CVL Zuiho
CVE Taiyo
CS Chiyoda
CL Yura
DD Tadeshiwa
DD Tachekaze

Allied Ships
AS Fulton
AV Wright
AD Dixie
AVD Ballard
AVD McFarland
AVD Thornton
AVD Hulbert
AVD Williamson
AM Kingfisher
AM Turkey
AM Rail
AM Tern
AM Grebe
AM Vireo
AM Robin
AM Bobolink
AE Mauna Loa
AE Lassen
AG Aldebaran
AG Vega
AG Sirius
PC Tiger
PC Reliance
PC Kimball
PC Jackson
PC Travis
PG Charleston
PG Swan
PG Warrego

Night Time Surface Combat, near Ebadon at 130,116, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo
CVL Zuiho
CVE Taiyo
CS Chiyoda
CL Yura
DD Tadeshiwa
DD Tachekaze

Allied Ships
TK Agwiworld
TK Gulfbreeze

Night Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein Island at 132,115, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asanagi

Allied Ships
CL Trenton
DD Litchfield
DD Chew
DD Schley
DD Ward
DD Talbot, Shell hits 1
DD Dent
DD Crosby
DD Kennison
DD Crane
DD Kilty
DD Brooks
DD Humphreys

Night Time Surface Combat, near Roi-Namur at 132,114, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro, on fire, heavy damage
CA Haguro
DD Natsushio, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CL Phoenix
CL Honolulu
DD Dunlap
DD Fanning
DD Mahan
DD Cummings
DD Cushing
DD Preston

16 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
PG Sacramento
AP President Polk

Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Amphibious Assault at Wotje

TF 268 troops unloading over beach at Wotje, 135,115

Allied ground losses:
40 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Pre-Invasion action off Wotje - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

160 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
CA San Francisco, Shell hits 30, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Henry S Grove
xAK Mobile City
AP Crescent City

Japanese ground losses:
20 casualties reported
Guns lost 3 (0 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
22 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Key point, the troops are getting ashore and while the CA is badly damaged it won't sink.... and in taking the hits it has protected dozens of AKs.

Amphibious Assault at Wotje

TF 300 troops unloading over beach at Wotje, 135,115

Allied ground losses:
302 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 48 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 78 disabled
Guns lost 10 (0 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)

10 Support troops lost in surf during unload of 8th NZ Bde /8

Amphibious Assault at Namu

TF 337 troops unloading over beach at Namu, 133,116

Allied ground losses:
74 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled

16 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
PG Sacramento
AP President Polk

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Invasion Support action off Wotje

45 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
xAK Santa Teresa
CA San Francisco, on fire, heavy damage
xAK Henry S Grove
xAP President Tyler, Shell hits 8, on fire
xAP President Buchanan
xAP President Taylor
AP Crescent City

Allied ground losses:
32 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

TF 228 encounters mine field at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese Ships
DMS W-19
DMS W-18
DMS W-17
DMS W-16
DMS W-15
DMS W-14
DMS W-13

24 mines cleared

Day Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein Island at 132,115, Range 17,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asanagi, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Trenton
DD Litchfield
DD Chew
DD Schley
DD Ward
DD Talbot
DD Dent
DD Crosby
DD Kennison
DD Crane
DD Kilty
DD Brooks
DD Humphreys

Day Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein Island at 132,116, Range 16,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Asanagi

Allied Ships
TK Agwiworld
TK Gulfbreeze, Shell hits 1, heavy fires

Fuel go boom when hit...

Day Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein Island at 132,115, Range 20,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
No Japanese losses

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro, Shell hits 24, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
CA Haguro, Shell hits 10
DD Natsushio, Shell hits 11, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL Trenton, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Litchfield
DD Chew
DD Schley
DD Ward
DD Talbot
DD Dent
DD Crosby, Shell hits 1, heavy fires
DD Kennison
DD Crane
DD Kilty
DD Brooks, Shell hits 1
DD Humphreys

Ah, the Trenton CL TF finally got its scalp. Bye bye Yamashiro. Only Fuso left now.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Mili at 135,121, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Shoho
CVE Hosho

Hmm, at least one of these appears to be the CVL I put a 1000lber in earlier. Strange, it doesn't show as heavily damaged yet a 1,000lber would crucify a CVL. I think this ID is a FOW ID.

Allied Ships
xAK J.L. Luckenbach
xAK Julia Luckenbach
xAK Mathew Luckenbach
xAK Admiral Halstead
xAK Crown City
xAK Admiral Y. Williams
xAK Coast Farmer
xAK Cold Brook

Day Time Surface Combat, near Taongi at 138,104, Range 24,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Fuyo
DD Kuri

Allied Ships
CV Saratoga
CV Yorktown
CV Enterprise
CL Helena
DD Reid
DD Flusser
DD Tucker
DD Cassin
DD Downes

CV Enterprise , CV Yorktown screened from combat
- escorted by DD Downes , DD Cassin , DD Tucker ,
DD Flusser , DD Reid
Range increases to 30,000 yards
CV Enterprise , CV Yorktown screened from combat
- escorted by DD Downes , DD Cassin , DD Tucker ,
DD Flusser , DD Reid

Day Time Surface Combat, near Mili at 136,122, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CVL Shoho
CVE Hosho

Allied Ships
xAK J.L. Luckenbach
xAK Julia Luckenbach
xAK Mathew Luckenbach
xAK Admiral Halstead
xAK Crown City
xAK Admiral Y. Williams
xAK Coast Farmer
xAK Cold Brook

Day Time Surface Combat, near Jaluit at 134,120, Range 19,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko

Allied Ships
xAKL Argus, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
xAKL Prusa, Shell hits 18, and is sunk
xAKL Darvel, Shell hits 12, and is sunk
xAKL Kini, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
xAKL Lorinna, Shell hits 9, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
643 casualties reported
Squads: 11 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 16 destroyed, 37 disabled
Guns lost 27 (15 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Ouch!!! There was an EAB Regiment on these ships. Ah well, engineers I have a lot of... Time to ship in a few more regiments from CONUSA. I had stripped the CL and DD from this TF to bolster the forces at Roi-Namur.

Submarine attack near Kwajalein Island at 132,115

Japanese Ships
SS RO-61

Allied Ships
DD Crosby, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Sub attack near Kusaie Island at 127,117

Japanese Ships
SS I-25

Allied Ships
DD Russell
CA Indianapolis
CL Leander
DD King
DD Sands

Morning Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 64,97

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 27 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 8

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 6 destroyed

Another nice ambush at the Netty graveyard of Balikpapan. All 8 Netties were downed today.

Allied Ships
xAK Itria

Morning Air attack on TF, near Singkawang at 56,88

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 24 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 52
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 27

Allied aircraft
PBY-5 Catalina x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
PBY-5 Catalina: 1 destroyed

Oops, all the PBYs got downed. Damn!!! I had thought they might just hit some passing shipping, instead they went in against the most heavily defended port Mike has. Ah well, c'est la guerre.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 64,97

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid spotted at 36 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 1

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 9

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

The lone Netty was downed by the CAP. So that's 9 Netties today. Normally I run away after this ambush. Tomorrow though I'll stick around and see how the AVG measures up against the Zeroes. This is the lesser-experienced of my AVG units ( Exp 60 to 65 ). The 3rd AVG squadron has exp 65+ pilots only. Still, a bit of blooding won't do any harm and I have enough P40s to replace some losses at this stage.

Afternoon Air attack on Truk , at 112,108

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 6 damaged

Japanese Ships
CL Kashima, Bomb hits 1

They'll have to go in higher next time but I'm happy to mark his card re: using Truk as a base for CLs/DDs and CVLs/CVEs.

Afternoon Air attack on Truk , at 112,108

Raid detected at 35 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 3

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

AMusing report I'd never seen before... Apparently one of my B17s ran into a barrage balloon. Cool thing to see in the CR.

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Taongi at 137,106

Raid spotted at 25 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
F2A-3 Buffalo x 1
F4F-3A Wildcat x 4
F4F-3 Wildcat x 7
SBD-3 Dauntless x 2
TBD-1 Devastator x 15

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
DD Kuri
DD Fuyo, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

My CVs are almost out of fuel but only 2 days from meeting AOs... I am going to keep them near the Marshalls for two reasons:

1. Drawing KB north from Roi-Namur if it seeks to intervene and
2. Staying within transfer range of Roi-Namur.

When Roi-Namur falls I want to be able to fly my devastators and Wildcats into land bases....

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Kusaie Island at 127,117

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 52 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 13
B5N1 Kate x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 6 damaged

Allied Ships
DD King, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CA Indianapolis, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

ASW attack near Singapore at 50,84

Japanese Ships
DMS W-19
DMS W-18
DMS W-17

Allied Ships
SS KXVII, hits 3

Day Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein Island at 132,115, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, Shell hits 4

Allied Ships
DD Litchfield
DD Chew
DD Schley
DD Ward
DD Talbot
DD Dent
DD Kennison
DD Crane
DD Kilty
DD Brooks
DD Humphreys

Day Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein Island at 132,115, Range 14,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Haguro, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DD Litchfield
DD Chew
DD Schley
DD Ward
DD Talbot
DD Dent
DD Kennison
DD Crane
DD Kilty
DD Brooks
DD Humphreys

17 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
PG Sacramento
AP President Polk

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Invasion Support action off Wotje

21 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
xAK Mobile City
CA San Francisco, heavy damage
xAK Santa Teresa
xAP President Fillmore
xAP President Buchanan
xAP President Taylor
AP Crescent City

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Ground combat at Eniwetok (127,108)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 1354 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 51

Defending force 1055 troops, 33 guns, 10 vehicles, Assault Value = 20

Assaulting units:
Maizuru 1st SNLF

Defending units:
1st/298th Infantry Battalion
2nd/298th Infantry Bn /15
Palmyra (Det.) Defense Battalion

So, my forces at Eniwetok are outnumbered about 3:1.... I have about 100 AV there once all disablements are repaired so I'll bide my time and recover disablements and disruption. Once I have the strength I'll try striking again.

Ground combat at Wotje (135,115)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 399 troops, 20 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 30

Defending force 4144 troops, 30 guns, 21 vehicles, Assault Value = 131

Assaulting units:
Wotje Naval Fortress
Wotje Base Force

Defending units:
1st Australian Bde /21
8th NZ Bde /21
19th Combat Engr Rgt /21

Ground combat at Roi-Namur (132,114)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 5202 troops, 141 guns, 182 vehicles, Assault Value = 153

Defending force 2849 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 30

Allied adjusted assault: 59

Japanese adjusted defense: 16

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
667 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 153 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Allied ground losses:
599 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 17 destroyed, 34 disabled
Engineers: 29 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 35 (13 destroyed, 22 disabled)

Assaulting units:
34th Combat Engineer Regiment
8th Marine Regiment
193rd Tank Bn /23
3rd Marine Def Bn /20

Defending units:
6th Base Force

Really heavy losses to both sides but I have more AV and the supplies required to recover disruption quickly. and next turn should take it.

Ground combat at 55,56

I decided to keep up the pressure on the Imperial Guards division, throwing more and more troops into action against it and continuing a slow, steady drip of deliberate attacks. Over time my forces will gain experience and slowly attrit the Imperial Guards division into nothingness.

Well, they won't attrit it to nothingness as the IJA and IJN will have to mount some sort of rescue mission.... Such a rescue mission will require either transports flying in supplies or an amphibious resupply + reinforcement run. Either of those options requires a significant diversion of resources from the Sumatran invasion and so serves my overall strategic purpose.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 44481 troops, 365 guns, 24 vehicles, Assault Value = 1945

Defending force 16473 troops, 175 guns, 174 vehicles, Assault Value = 516

Allied adjusted assault: 486

Japanese adjusted defense: 445

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
333 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 29 disabled
Non Combat: 22 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Vehicles lost 77 (74 destroyed, 3 disabled)

I think the 14th Tank Regiment actually disappeared from the screen during combat. Combined with the high vehicle losses I think this might mean I wiped out this armoured unit... I've never seen a unit wiped out in combat in this manner before in AE so amn't sure though. Either way, 74 vehicles destroyed is a great result.

Allied ground losses:
579 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 99 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 90 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 11 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Assaulting units:
14th Chinese Corps
54th Chinese Corps
5th Chinese Corps
1st Burma Division
BFF Brigade
60th Chinese Corps
66th Chinese Corps

Defending units:
14th Tank Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
1st RTA/B Division
55th Engineer Regiment
1st RTA/C Division
15th Army
55th Mountain Gun Regiment
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion

Ground combat at Wotje (135,115)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 4144 troops, 30 guns, 21 vehicles, Assault Value = 131

Defending force 1329 troops, 29 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 30

Allied adjusted assault: 7

Japanese adjusted defense: 24

Allied assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
281 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 39 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Allied ground losses:
740 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 42 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 54 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 8 (0 destroyed, 8 disabled)

My losses are much heavier but, as with Ponape, I have mass on my side and expect Wotje to fall in 2 to 3 days. Not the immediate collapse I had hoped for but acceptable.

Assaulting units:
1st Australian Bde /21
8th NZ Bde /21
19th Combat Engr Rgt /21

Defending units:
Wotje Naval Fortress
Wotje Base Force

Ground combat at Namu (133,116)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 130 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 0

Allied adjusted assault: 8

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 8 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Namu !!!

Combat modifiers
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-)

Assaulting units:
2nd USMC Parachute Bn /21

So, Kusaie, Ponape, Wotje and Roi-Namur. The nearest large airfield the IJNAF/ IJAAF could use would be Truk and I can close that with B17s and bombardment TFs - which will draw SC TFs to resist them .... which would allow me to attrit those TFs and play right into my hands re: Sumatra.

With Marcus and Wake safely in Allied hands and fortifying nicely and with the aggressive USN actions in the North Pacific I think this rather nicely puts a stop to IJNA expansion plans in the Pacific. Not that he was expanding that much but from now on I don't think he even has the option unless he commits mutliple divisions to any thrust --- which, if he does, will, again, play into my hands by weakening his thrust into Sumatra.

In other news... Whatever the bug is at Manilla it is still happening. Every day I lose 1,000 tons of supplies there. Right now my supply is in the red entirely - despite the absence of bombardments - and the 1,000 tons or so is being taken from my troops, such that they are also beginning to go into the red.

It is disappointing to see a supply bug have such an impact but as it hastens the invasion of Sumatra I'm not too bothered... I really want to see what comes of the invasion of Sumatra. I counted my forces there and have just over 4,200 AV deployed in southern Sumatra ( Palembang, Djambi, Oosthaven and Benkoenen ). I think that ought to be enough to hold the entire SRA at bay.

In terms of airplanes I have just 800 planes in Southern Sumatra but am looking to bump that up to 1,000 over the next month...

Nemo121 -> RE: So, now things get serious.... (3/27/2010 4:14:37 PM)

So I think using Firefox will allow this to work now... My initial assessment was incorrect.

The IJN lost Nagato and Huyga yesterday. Today Yamashiro and Fuso went into action at Roi Namur and Yamashiro is confirmed sunk while Fuso is heavily damaged with multiple penetrating 14 inch hits and a torpedo hit. I am certain Fuso is also certain to sink...

So, that's 4 IJN BBs sunk in return for 3 USN BBs (Pennsylvania and Oklahoma sank today ).

Out of all of the IJN surface raiders in the area it looks like the CAs Myoko and Haguro are the only survivors. My DMs, before they got hit hard, managed to dump some 300 mines at Kwajalein in order to take a toll of the IJN CAs or CVLs if they try to dock there to reprovision.

I still have 5 combat-worthy BBs in the area with 2 more about 1 week away and another 2 two weeks away if I wish ( the two from the Northern Pacific ). Once Roi Namur falls I can dock my AGs, reprovision everything, unload fuel and begin sending CL TFs and CA TFs out to attempt surface intercepts of mini-KB.

Really, the results of the invasions have exceeded expectations. Roi Namur and Wotje will fall. Kusaie and Ponape are mine and with Wake having shrugged off an attempted invasion and Marcus more secure every day I think it'll only be a matter of time before B-17s and SC TFs push the IJN out of Truk. 4 IJN BBs sunk is also far more than I was hoping for... Sure I've lost at least as much in the surface combat but, already, in the DEI I have BB PoW, BC Repulse and 2 R class BBs. I am receiving another 2 in 2 days. So, once I divert a few more DDs and CLs/CAs into the area from the USN I'll be able to meet the IJN at Sumatra with, at least, parity in BBs.

The action at the Marshalls has, strategically, utterly succeeded in the goal of destroying the heavy IJN assets ( BBs and CAs ) which will be needed to cover the invasion of Sumatra. I'm not sure if Mike realises it but I think the last 2 days of action have just cost him the game... It'll also make him much more likely to send KB into the area to retrieve the situation - which will help me hugely also....

So, all in all, apart from the bad luck with the Lexington this has actually exceeded the strategic goals I set for it.

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI