Almost a garrison! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

irishman -> Almost a garrison! (12/29/2009 11:30:10 PM)

Hi folks,

A quick query, I'm trying to meet garrison requirements in China but it's very awkward! If I miss the garrison requirement by a point or two is it the same as having no garrison at all? In some places I have much more than I need but, for instance, I have a 20 AV unit and an 80 AV (unsplittable) unit in a base with a 40 AV requirement! Is 20/40 treated the same as 0/40?
Thanks,

Irishman.

KenchiSulla -> RE: Almost a garrison! (12/29/2009 11:38:22 PM)

Good question, couldn't answer it. Perhaps someone tested it. I do tend to keep cities well garrisoned if required just to prevent vp loss and supply problems.

Shark7 -> RE: Almost a garrison! (12/30/2009 12:19:35 AM)

You will suffer VP losses and AF/Port damage if you don't have at least the garrison requirement. Think of that number as the bare minimum necessary to maintain order, more is better, but you need at least 40 if 40 is the requirement.

Chickenboy -> RE: Almost a garrison! (12/30/2009 2:00:38 AM)

I'm not entirely convinced.

Yes, you need the garrison requirements to be *guaranteed* civil order, but I'm not sure that (to use the example before) having 39 garrison AV in a hex is a guaranteed revolt. Without knowing the formula, I think it's more akin to the Kwantung garrison requirements-if you're off there's a chance (probably bigger as the gap between required and existing grows) of 'activation'.

I recall recently reviewing some bases in China that were JUST BARELY shy of their garrison requirements (in the red), yet had not had partisan attacks or any discernible ill effects in the hex.

@ irishman: I will frequently identify Chinese units that are 4-6 AV shy of meeting garrison requirements but will be OK when they heal / rest up to recover a few lost squads and AV strength. These seem to be good to 'grow' into the role of garrison, thus freeing up more useful IJA proper units.

Swenslim -> RE: Almost a garrison! (12/30/2009 3:29:32 AM)

I have 18 AV at George town with 20 AV needed and loss of 1 PP happens VERY rarely.  What is irritating that i must have garrison 6-7 arrisons at PI.

noguaranteeofsanity -> RE: Almost a garrison! (12/30/2009 4:11:38 AM)

You have to account for any losses, a few bases in India at the start of my GC, theoretically had the required AV, but fall short by 1 or 2 points, due to being understrength and still suffer the full VP penalty.

jcjordan -> RE: Almost a garrison! (12/30/2009 10:48:44 PM)

I think it is a random roll of the "die" whether you'll be hit w/ loss or not w/ a higher chance of it happening the bigger the difference between the 2 as well as the bigger that requirement or at least that's the way it seems to have happened to me. I've had a 5pt China base w/ no garrison sometimes get hit & sometimes not & I've had that same base w/ 4 AV do the same thing though much rarer for the loss/damage to occur.

pompack -> RE: Almost a garrison! (12/30/2009 11:03:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

I think it is a random roll of the "die" whether you'll be hit w/ loss or not w/ a higher chance of it happening the bigger the difference between the 2 as well as the bigger that requirement or at least that's the way it seems to have happened to me. I've had a 5pt China base w/ no garrison sometimes get hit & sometimes not & I've had that same base w/ 4 AV do the same thing though much rarer for the loss/damage to occur.

By my not-so-rigorous testing, the die roll is proportional to the delta between the requirement and the actual garrison. Close is far better than none at all.

noguaranteeofsanity -> RE: Almost a garrison! (12/31/2009 12:19:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

By my not-so-rigorous testing, the die roll is proportional to the delta between the requirement and the actual garrison. Close is far better than none at all.

I dont think its completely random either. I accidentally left one or two bases ungarrisoned and would get hit with a regular VP penalty every second turn, until i corrected that mistake.

BigJ62 -> RE: Almost a garrison! (12/31/2009 1:06:57 AM)

It is random die roll with a higher chance that partisans do damage the lower the av. Only if partisans do damage will there be a vp penalty.

irishman -> RE: Almost a garrison! (1/1/2010 3:45:04 AM)

Follow on question. Garrison AV values seem to count irrespective of what combat mode they're in so is there ever any reason to have rear area forces in combat mode? Surely they should always be in rest / training?

BigJ62 -> RE: Almost a garrison! (1/1/2010 6:44:57 AM)

use whatever mode you like

Marty A -> RE: Almost a garrison! (1/1/2010 7:42:51 AM)

appear to me what short garrison is % chance of partisan and point loss. example garrison of 20. for every point you short from this is 5% chance so if you have 15 of 20 garrison 25% chance. i do not know if this is sure but looks about like what happen to me.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI