Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Almost a garrison!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Almost a garrison! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Almost a garrison! - 12/29/2009 11:30:10 PM   
irishman

Hi folks,

A quick query, I'm trying to meet garrison requirements in China but it's very awkward! If I miss the garrison requirement by a point or two is it the same as having no garrison at all? In some places I have much more than I need but, for instance, I have a 20 AV unit and an 80 AV (unsplittable) unit in a base with a 40 AV requirement! Is 20/40 treated the same as 0/40?
Thanks,

Irishman.

The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory - Cicero
Post #: 1
RE: Almost a garrison! - 12/29/2009 11:38:22 PM   
KenchiSulla

Good question, couldn't answer it. Perhaps someone tested it. I do tend to keep cities well garrisoned if required just to prevent vp loss and supply problems.

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 2
RE: Almost a garrison! - 12/30/2009 12:19:35 AM   
Shark7

You will suffer VP losses and AF/Port damage if you don't have at least the garrison requirement. Think of that number as the bare minimum necessary to maintain order, more is better, but you need at least 40 if 40 is the requirement.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 3
RE: Almost a garrison! - 12/30/2009 2:00:38 AM   
Chickenboy

I'm not entirely convinced.

Yes, you need the garrison requirements to be *guaranteed* civil order, but I'm not sure that (to use the example before) having 39 garrison AV in a hex is a guaranteed revolt. Without knowing the formula, I think it's more akin to the Kwantung garrison requirements-if you're off there's a chance (probably bigger as the gap between required and existing grows) of 'activation'.

I recall recently reviewing some bases in China that were JUST BARELY shy of their garrison requirements (in the red), yet had not had partisan attacks or any discernible ill effects in the hex.

@ irishman: I will frequently identify Chinese units that are 4-6 AV shy of meeting garrison requirements but will be OK when they heal / rest up to recover a few lost squads and AV strength. These seem to be good to 'grow' into the role of garrison, thus freeing up more useful IJA proper units.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Almost a garrison! - 12/30/2009 3:29:32 AM   
Swenslim

I have 18 AV at George town with 20 AV needed and loss of 1 PP happens VERY rarely.  What is irritating that i must have garrison 6-7 arrisons at PI.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Almost a garrison! - 12/30/2009 4:11:38 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

You have to account for any losses, a few bases in India at the start of my GC, theoretically had the required AV, but fall short by 1 or 2 points, due to being understrength and still suffer the full VP penalty.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 12/30/2009 4:12:22 AM >

(in reply to Swenslim)
Post #: 6
RE: Almost a garrison! - 12/30/2009 10:48:44 PM   
jcjordan

I think it is a random roll of the "die" whether you'll be hit w/ loss or not w/ a higher chance of it happening the bigger the difference between the 2 as well as the bigger that requirement or at least that's the way it seems to have happened to me. I've had a 5pt China base w/ no garrison sometimes get hit & sometimes not & I've had that same base w/ 4 AV do the same thing though much rarer for the loss/damage to occur.

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 7
RE: Almost a garrison! - 12/30/2009 11:03:27 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

I think it is a random roll of the "die" whether you'll be hit w/ loss or not w/ a higher chance of it happening the bigger the difference between the 2 as well as the bigger that requirement or at least that's the way it seems to have happened to me. I've had a 5pt China base w/ no garrison sometimes get hit & sometimes not & I've had that same base w/ 4 AV do the same thing though much rarer for the loss/damage to occur.

By my not-so-rigorous testing, the die roll is proportional to the delta between the requirement and the actual garrison. Close is far better than none at all.

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 8
RE: Almost a garrison! - 12/31/2009 12:19:13 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

By my not-so-rigorous testing, the die roll is proportional to the delta between the requirement and the actual garrison. Close is far better than none at all.

I dont think its completely random either. I accidentally left one or two bases ungarrisoned and would get hit with a regular VP penalty every second turn, until i corrected that mistake.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 12/31/2009 12:21:47 AM >

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 9
RE: Almost a garrison! - 12/31/2009 1:06:57 AM   
BigJ62

It is random die roll with a higher chance that partisans do damage the lower the av. Only if partisans do damage will there be a vp penalty.

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 10
RE: Almost a garrison! - 1/1/2010 3:45:04 AM   
irishman

Follow on question. Garrison AV values seem to count irrespective of what combat mode they're in so is there ever any reason to have rear area forces in combat mode? Surely they should always be in rest / training?

The greater the difficulty, the greater the glory - Cicero

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 11
RE: Almost a garrison! - 1/1/2010 6:44:57 AM   
BigJ62

use whatever mode you like

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to irishman)
Post #: 12
RE: Almost a garrison! - 1/1/2010 7:42:51 AM   
Marty A

appear to me what short garrison is % chance of partisan and point loss. example garrison of 20. for every point you short from this is 5% chance so if you have 15 of 20 garrison 25% chance. i do not know if this is sure but looks about like what happen to me.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Almost a garrison! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI