Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Q-Ball -> Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 4:17:22 PM)

In AE, the Kuriles can be a defensive problem for Japan; alot of buildable bases right on your doorstep. There is something that can help though.

A number of 5th Fleet bases can be changed to General Defence(R), including Paramushiro Jima. This is important, because you can then use all the Restricted Home Island units, something like 150-200 planes, on Paramushiro Jima and Sakhalin. This includes the Mavis unit that is restricted, and is otherwise stuck at home.

The Restricted air units are often used for training, but rookies are better than nothing, and at any rate, that Mavis unit alone makes it worth it

Not sure if this is WAD, but the Kuriles aren't exactly Truk......I don't think it's gamey, since it's close to home

This also means building Paramushiro to a large airbase is probably a good idea, because the big fort there will make an Allied landing costly regaredless

Mike Solli -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 4:20:00 PM)

Very sneaky, Q-Ball.  I like it! [:D]

Chickenboy -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 4:26:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Very sneaky, Q-Ball.  I like it! [:D]

+1. Thanks for the heads up.

Q-Ball -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 4:31:04 PM)

If you are really industrious, I suppose that means you can airlift restricted ground troops out there as well....I think. Haven't tried that. But the air units works.

I don't think it's sneaky, since the Kuriles are much easier in AE for the Allies (IRL, they didn't consider it long), and the Japanese did consider them part of the Home Islands.

I think a line would be crossed on this type of thing if, for example, Saipan could be changed. THAT probably would not be kosher.

USSAmerica -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 4:32:11 PM)

Dastardly Japanese players!  [sm=00000612.gif]

[:D]

ny59giants -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 4:33:00 PM)

In WITP there had to be an LCU with the Command you wanted to change to on that base to change it. Is that the case in AE (need General Defense)??

If you can do all this then use your idle transport planes to air lift your troops to the bases. An AIR HQ from Honshu goes to Hakkaido by transport ealry in the game.

AW1Steve -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 4:49:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

In AE, the Kuriles can be a defensive problem for Japan; alot of buildable bases right on your doorstep. There is something that can help though.

A number of 5th Fleet bases can be changed to General Defence(R), including Paramushiro Jima. This is important, because you can then use all the Restricted Home Island units, something like 150-200 planes, on Paramushiro Jima and Sakhalin. This includes the Mavis unit that is restricted, and is otherwise stuck at home.

The Restricted air units are often used for training, but rookies are better than nothing, and at any rate, that Mavis unit alone makes it worth it

Not sure if this is WAD, but the Kuriles aren't exactly Truk......I don't think it's gamey, since it's close to home

This also means building Paramushiro to a large airbase is probably a good idea, because the big fort there will make an Allied landing costly regaredless

[&o][&o][&o]

Q-Ball -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 7:35:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

In WITP there had to be an LCU with the Command you wanted to change to on that base to change it. Is that the case in AE (need General Defense)??

If you can do all this then use your idle transport planes to air lift your troops to the bases. An AIR HQ from Honshu goes to Hakkaido by transport ealry in the game.

Probably still the case....which is why it works on Para Jima. I don't have the game up, but the Fort there is probably General Defense. For sure you can't move it.

Same deal with Sakhalin; there are a couple bases with General Defense units there. So those can change as well.

Move the AIR HQ up there is a real good idea. It isn't going to do much in Tokyo.

You can't change Okken Jima, but if you have an AIR HQ on Para, then you can use torps from it anyway (it will be in command range)

Airlifting some engineers also a pretty good idea, though I find in AE they have plenty to do anyway expanding ports, at least early-on, and are pretty cheap buys anyway.

ny59giants -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 8:25:02 PM)

I think you need to use some of those small AA companies. Change their command to 5th Fleet, transport to one of those empty bases, and then change the base command. You cannot change command on bases without an LCU present first. 

SqzMyLemon -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 9:51:06 PM)

Q-Ball,

Which Air HQ can get to Haikkado? I've been trying to get one there with no success as yet. And great idea for Paramushiro Q-Ball, although with your strategy in the DEI as Allied, I don't know how many players will decide to attack the Kuriles anymore!

Q-Ball -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/5/2010 11:21:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Q-Ball,

Which Air HQ can get to Haikkado? I've been trying to get one there with no success as yet. And great idea for Paramushiro Q-Ball, although with your strategy in the DEI as Allied, I don't know how many players will decide to attack the Kuriles anymore!

I can't remember the name of it, but there is a Perm Restricted Air HQ. You can move it by transport PLANE.

Michael, hadn't thought of that....transfer unit, then change HQ back. Might work.

topeverest -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 1:55:26 PM)

Thanks,

This line of thought never entered my mind. Dick Dastardly definately would have approved of such a devious maneuver!

LoBaron -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 3:51:56 PM)

[&o]

WITPPL -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 3:59:46 PM)

cunning plan My Lord.

Grollub -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 4:40:52 PM)

It's a plan worthy of the 'high commission of international cunning planning' ... [:D]

(See sig)

Mynok -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 4:46:22 PM)

What are the drawbacks of having 5th fleet troops on a General Defense base?

WITPPL -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 5:01:39 PM)

to be serious.

I have to thank The Highest Commisioner of International Cunning Planinng [THCoICP] for this.

I was scratching my head lately how to blow damn Kuriles out just to secure my Northern flank.
My opponent clearly has chosen this path and will try some sneaky moves there for sure.

Lets experiment a bit.

Grotius -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 5:02:43 PM)

Great idea! It doesn't strike me as gamey at all -- in game terms, I see the Kuriles as an extension of the Home Islands. And I still wonder whether the AE weather model makes it sufficiently difficult to conduct air and naval operations way up north.

I have the same question as Mynok. Also, are you suggesting we put an Air HQ in Paramushiro, or just on Hokkaido?

WITPPL -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 5:07:55 PM)

Most Air HQs have a command radius of 1.

However,

There is a 11th Air FLEET HQ with a radius of 5. Planes in radius (wich covers 4 hexes around) will fly torpedoe missions.

If I get this right.

Q-Ball -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 7:16:43 PM)

AIR HQ: The problem I found is that the Air HQs with 5 radius in the Home Islands have Motorized Support....so they can't be airlifted in whole. The Air Flotilla HQs, though, can, but only have a radius of one.

GAMEY?: I think not for the Kuriles, and for the Chichi Jima chain. VERY gamey for anything far outside the Home Islands, so folks should not do that outside Kuriles.

WITPPL -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 7:52:30 PM)

Under latest patch I can not switch Kurile bases to GD HQ.

[:@]

Except two in Sakhalin.

Damn,

It was such a splendid cunning plan...

Q-Ball -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 8:30:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: WITPPL

Except two in Sakhalin.

Damn,

You can if there is a unit in the hex that belongs to General Defence. The fort at Para may have been switched to a non-restricted command. Switch the Fort to GD, then try. For the other islands, land a cheap non-restricted unit, change it to GD, then change the base to GD

Interestingly, the bases in Taiwan start General Defence. Theoretically, no reason you can't fly a restricted Air HQ out to there

Mynok -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 8:35:49 PM)

Err....you don't really need any more Air HQs on Taiwan, do ya? [:'(]

I'm still curious what drawbacks there will be having 5th fleet troops on a GD base. Are replacements affected? Disorg/fatigue recovery?

topeverest -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 8:42:29 PM)

Gamey , but I'll take it.

This has got to qualify for the tip of the week.

rader -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 9:54:36 PM)

By the way, if you are haivng trouble flying units in, try moving your ATRs to the destination and picking up the restricted troops.

Mark Weston -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/12/2010 11:01:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: WITPPL

Except two in Sakhalin.

Damn,

You can if there is a unit in the hex that belongs to General Defence. The fort at Para may have been switched to a non-restricted command. Switch the Fort to GD, then try. For the other islands, land a cheap non-restricted unit, change it to GD, then change the base to GD

Interestingly, the bases in Taiwan start General Defence. Theoretically, no reason you can't fly a restricted Air HQ out to there

What seems to have happened is that the Para fort is now permanently restricted to 5th Fleet. So when you try to change the HQ for the base 5th Fleet is the only available option.

I presume this means that you have to air transport a General Defence unit to Para before you'll be able to change the HQ.

And I don't think it's gamey. It's a highly logical command re-organisation (in the case of the Kuriles). Obviously I wouldn't want to abuse it in more distant locations.

Grfin Zeppelin -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/15/2010 4:53:27 PM)

If one ships in an 11th Air flotila unit one can change the base to General defence since the 11th is attached to it.

Mark Weston -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/29/2010 11:49:18 AM)

Update:

Well I flew in an AA unit attached to 11th Flotilla. Para couldn't be re-assigned (all options apart from 5th Fleet greyed out). I reassigned the AA unit back to General Defence. Still could not re-assign Para. This is under patch 3, in scenario 2. I guess someone did consider this a loophole and closed it. Or am I missing something?

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/29/2010 2:30:13 PM)

Very cunning ! .. drat LoBarons read it too [8D].

fflaguna -> RE: Interesting Tip to Defend Kuriles (3/29/2010 7:10:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Weston

Update:

Well I flew in an AA unit attached to 11th Flotilla. Para couldn't be re-assigned (all options apart from 5th Fleet greyed out). I reassigned the AA unit back to General Defence. Still could not re-assign Para. This is under patch 3, in scenario 2. I guess someone did consider this a loophole and closed it. Or am I missing something?

My Paramushiro-jima has a coastal fortress unit on the hex that belongs to 5th Fleet... and the base belongs to 5th Fleet, as well. So it looks like it was fixed. My game was started after they released the last beta patch before the official patch was released.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI