RE: German units designations (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/5/2010 10:17:21 PM)

Odd, guess I know how the AI thinks :)

it picked the bad choice, it backed off, and screened, it needed to cut the gap, now it is weaker along the whole line, has more area to cover, and have opened the flood gates

[image]local://upfiles/1438/C50EFF68DE8046D8ABE859673E17342C.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/5/2010 10:20:40 PM)

and the gates are open, got to rush in, and push as much across as I can, and push the GE back and apart

my goals now, are Tallin, and the little island crossing (if the AI pulls back, and not down, smart play would be to abandon the whole area and back up, don't think the AI or a player will ever do it, but that is the smart move

[image]local://upfiles/1438/80D66BB48BA24358B142EA166783CAB9.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/5/2010 10:21:49 PM)

LOL, to be honest, the Axis don't have enough up there to fall back with, south is the only real option now

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 5:15:22 PM)

I have I said, I hate mud, well, if not, I hate mud

I got getting slaugthered on the attack, in the deep south, my line got out of supply, and the Ge Counterattacked, along the middle line, the Ge is either falling back, or doing little sneak raids

far north and south, where I want to keep the pressure on, I am just burning up troops and supplies, pretty much have put out a stop order all along the line, lose too many men, to make a opening, only to not be able to do anything with it

Med at times is worse then the Blizzards

but, the sun will come out tomorrow

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 6:11:15 PM)

end of may, and still mud, so think I got another week or so, before the Sun comes out

when the battle started, the Ge had

4,343.943 troops, with 3531 AFV and 3039 air (not counting his Allies)

the Russians started with

6,271,416 troops, with 5889 AFV and 5488 air

as I expect these numbers to change in a hurry once the sun comes up, thought I would post them

the Ge now have

2,818,428 troops, 5204 AFV (that is almost 1000 in the last 7 weeks, so, would expect a number of new Formations have showed up) and 1967 air

(that worries me, I expect a mass attack right though the middle, as I am strong on both flanks)

the Russians have

6,868,550, 13,050 AFV and 15,930 air (if I can get it into the air, mud and snow really hurt my air power for projecting it onto the battle field)

to be honest, the Blizzard and Mud, hurt me more then it did the Ge

but, now maybe I can move, a lot of the Ge Divs are nothing but shells

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 7:01:58 PM)

Sun is up early, or at least up north, think I still got mud in the south

the arrows are the key targets to complete the pocket

only part of the General attack that worked

lost 58,000 men and 251 planes to kill 15,000 Axis and 8 planes

but, it going to take a week or two, of good weather to get my supply lines back in gear, once I start getting supplies and replacements, it should get better

of, the Ge is going to try and get his Summer Off going too

that might not be too pretty

[image]local://upfiles/1438/1D6F6FE4F9A34A2A81CF6E2B504D584B.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 7:11:42 PM)

ahhhh, Mud, which, to be honest, helps me, it slows down the Ge reactions

but, got to say, at times, the AI reminds me of what you read about Hitler and his High Command

always reacted to bad news with more troops, when they should of sent them earlier, now that the bad new is there, it is time to get out

[image]local://upfiles/1438/952A16DB38A4494FA97D256134B5C4FE.jpg[/image]

Capt Cliff -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 7:23:15 PM)

Whoa!! Your in May of 42 and your doing a major butt kicking on the AI!!?? I wouldn't exspect this sort of advances until summer of 43.

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 7:24:31 PM)

I am in May of 43

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 7:27:05 PM)

Goal one completed

now to see what I can do in south (of the north)

the AI has a good strong shoulder already set, guess that is why no General Off happened elsewhere, it is reacting to the breakthough

[image]local://upfiles/1438/C700C586F4E74EBC93EDD796669C2166.jpg[/image]

Capt Cliff -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 7:27:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

I am in May of 43

Ah, read the date wrong ... then it looks a bit better except for the Crimea.

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 8:03:01 PM)

ahhh, I not too happy with down there, maybe I should show what that area is looking like :(

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 8:45:44 PM)

down in the south

wasn't able to make my drive from the East

[image]local://upfiles/1438/1BAC734B54CE48F5B480055C7D19DF55.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/6/2010 8:47:56 PM)

in the north, pocket almost complete

[image]local://upfiles/1438/F39C8172756C4DB7ADF121381BDE2BE1.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 2:28:51 AM)

now I get to play Jon

did you see it coming ?

been holding off and waiting for the timing to be right

did you see it coming ??

I bet the Germans didn't

by waiting a week, I doubled the size of the pocket

now, if only they can live long enough to make it worth it

[image]local://upfiles/1438/5D0A0472E93840178639BC5A4C36E052.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 2:30:33 AM)

pocket is complete, only way in and out is by air, and I got the area surrounded with fighters

ComradeP -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 11:30:47 AM)

What was the purpose of the paradrop? The Kriegsmarine hopefully can't supply/move a force of that size?

jaw -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 3:20:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

The Kriegsmarine hopefully can't supply/move a force of that size?

Why not? They've only got virtually the entire German merchant marine to work with.

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 4:15:56 PM)

quote:

What was the purpose of the paradrop? The Kriegsmarine hopefully can't supply/move a force of that size?

not worried about them moving them out, I worried about them getting supplies, that is the last port that can land supplies, so the pocket is complete, while the para's live

the number of troops that can move, will be based on the transport level, plus, they would have to move to the port, to be pulled out

ComradeP -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 4:21:48 PM)

-The Kriegsmarine has little to no experience with amphibious operations, aside from operations in Norway and the invasion of islands in the Baltic Sea. In both cases, limited forces were used.

There are up to 28 divisions in that pocket, depending on the size of the stacked units we can't see.

-As a result of the minimal experience with amphibious operations, the Kriegsmarine also has only a small amount of specialized landing craft for operations on a beach and those are only suitable for a small amount of forces. Artificial harbours which were supposed to be used during Sealion never left prototype stage.

-No access to most of the ports in the area, as Paldiski and Tallinn are in Soviet hands.

-The capture of the southern bank of the Gulf of Finland allows Baltic Fleet sub activity to expand significantly.

-All ports/supply zones on beaches would be in range of the VVS.

During Overlord, the Allies, with specialized landing craft, Mulberry harbours and near total air supremacy were hard pressed to keep the 19 divisions that landed in the first week, including airbourne divisions, supplied on beaches that were more or less right next to several of the major ports in the UK.

I really doubt the Kriegsmarine could've pulled off an operation like supplying the trapped units in Hard Sarge's game.

Great_Ajax -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 4:29:34 PM)

They did with Army Group North bottled up in Courland a year later in 1944. Two cruisers even provided desparately needed fire support for the Germans. Actually, Army Group North (Courland) was the last intact German Army Group of the war and it relied entirely on oversea supplies from the Kriegsmarine.

Trey

quote:

-The Kriegsmarine has little to no experience with amphibious operations, aside from operations in Norway and the invasion of islands in the Baltic Sea. In both cases, limited forces were used.

There are up to 28 divisions in that pocket, depending on the size of the stacked units we can't see.

-As a result of the minimal experience with amphibious operations, the Kriegsmarine also has only a small amount of specialized landing craft for operations on a beach and those are only suitable for a small amount of forces. Artificial harbours which were supposed to be used during Sealion never left prototype stage.

-No access to most of the ports in the area, as Paldiski and Tallinn are in Soviet hands.

-The capture of the southern bank of the Gulf of Finland allows Baltic Fleet sub activity to expand significantly.

During Overlord, the Allies, with specialized landing craft, Mulberry harbours and near total air supremacy were hard pressed to keep the 19 divisions that landed in the first week, including airbourne divisions, supplied on beaches that were more or less right next to several of the major ports in the UK.

I really doubt the Kriegsmarine could've pulled off an operation like supplying the trapped units in Hard Sarge's game.

ComradeP -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 5:01:05 PM)

quote:

They did with Army Group North bottled up in Courland a year later in 1944. Two cruisers even provided desparately needed fire support for the Germans. Actually, Army Group North (Courland) was the last intact German Army Group of the war and it relied entirely on oversea supplies from the Kriegsmarine.

The Courland pocket included a number of ice-free ports and was about 250-350 kilometres closer to the German ports (and thus further away from Baltic Fleet submarines) as the pocket in the screenshot.

Regardless of the numerous offensives, the Courland area was a secondary theatre of operations for the Soviets compared to the war in Poland/Germany and Central Europe.

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 5:08:02 PM)

quote:

with a port in hand, they could get supply in, but it would then be beachhead supply, not good, but some, with the ports in my hands, the best they can do is, air supply, which is not as good as beach head supply

they in trouble, if they can't take one of the ports back

(as I said, bad move, they reinforced defeat, instead of pulling back when they could/should(

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 6:26:43 PM)

trying to take pressure off the north and center, plus most of my numbers are in the south, and I do need to get a rail line to the deep south, so, time to move

[image]local://upfiles/1438/F099A3DAEFCD4A6489C72AA4473E6B9A.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 6:28:24 PM)

in the center the Ge is getting frisky, don't know why it does this hassle attacks, I think it could break my line if it tried (if it hadn't of shifted all those troops to the north)

[image]local://upfiles/1438/FE37B4A7101F4B8E80948EE96C752E2C.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 6:30:22 PM)

just in case, you seeing after I reacted, it looked much nastier, before I reacted, my line got a lot weaker, to close those off

the Pocket

the Ge didn't have enough supplies to get close enough to free the port, or the Strength to break into the other one, pocket/trap is set, now to close it down

[image]local://upfiles/1438/044E7D0DF0D5485A89F2A082C8E201AC.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 6:31:24 PM)

here is a closer view, before I start the attack, lots of units, but wonder how much numbers are there ?

[image]local://upfiles/1438/EBA3EDCA6E354401A5A486597A58EA23.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 6:33:18 PM)

as I thought, those are pretty burned out combat Divs, they should be pulled out for refit, instead of standing in the line, they are toast

that had to hurt, almost 82,000 men, 1250 guns and 158 AFV, 19 Inf Divs and 1 PZ Div (a few are left to mop up, next week)

[image]local://upfiles/1438/21CECF35D8DC44EAA209CA8B9274FF71.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 7:16:27 PM)

the Ge Reacts in the south, to my pressure

[image]local://upfiles/1438/7DD44EDE50194CA78C808CB3A5FDA4A7.jpg[/image]

Hard Sarge -> RE: German units designations (5/7/2010 7:17:44 PM)

not sure it managed this trick, he landed at a Port i thought I owned, oh well, need to pay attention I may of left a gap

[image]local://upfiles/1438/306AD8DC9B8F4EF8909134CF1DB44CA6.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI