RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Arctic Blast -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (11/26/2010 9:58:14 PM)

There is of course one other problem with spending the resources to develop a new Steel Panthers.

Lots of people play SPWAW, SPWW2 and SPMBT...but how many paid for them? They're popular, in part, due to the fact that the basic games with more campaigns and scenarios than you could ever play through cost you absolutely nothing. How many people would actually purchase a follow up?

Sure, the real series fans would, but how many others? And it would it be enough to make it financially worthwhile?

Saburo -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (11/27/2010 9:22:56 PM)

Yeah, it's a tough situation. [:(]

I think the game play is awesome, but that doesn't mean there is a market. [:(][:(]

KG Erwin -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (11/29/2010 10:36:45 PM)

The one thing that truly disappoints me is that there will be no more Mega Campaigns. The last one was 2003's "Screaming Eagles", which capitalized on HBO's "Band of Brothers".

My dream would be an "Old Breed" Mega, to portray the battles of the 1st Marine Division as shown in HBO's 2010 miniseries "The Pacific". Alas, it will never happen. [:(]

mkr8683 -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (12/3/2010 10:47:45 PM)

I for one would be willing to shell out $100 for it without a second thought of the resulting devastation to the budget.

I inquired about CL/CA/whatever to Matrix's customer service department a few weeks ago. They simply said ask on the forums. Nice.

pvthudson01 -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (1/1/2011 1:20:37 PM)

Campaign series is awesome.

so is the way to go here is to just buy the Shrapnel Games CD version? Thats the ONLY way to get resolutions over 800x600?

JEB Davis -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (1/2/2011 1:07:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mkr8683

I for one would be willing to shell out $100 for it without a second thought of the resulting devastation to the budget.

I inquired about CL/CA/whatever to Matrix's customer service department a few weeks ago. They simply said ask on the forums. Nice.

If they would fix the mega campaigns to work with C&C on, that would be worth $100... but without C&C it's not worth $5. [;)]

JEB Davis -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (1/2/2011 1:09:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01

Campaign series is awesome.

so is the way to go here is to just buy the Shrapnel Games CD version? Thats the ONLY way to get resolutions over 800x600?

Go buy a used 17" $10 CRT monitor and the 800x600 looks and works just great! Do you have one of those newfangled widescreen pixellated pieces of LCD crud that everyone seems to think are so great? I think they are a step backward picture in quality.

pvthudson01 -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (1/2/2011 1:59:24 AM)

LOL yup I do. Darn technology!

Alpha77 -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (2/25/2011 12:59:12 PM)

Hi guys, another old time SP player reports back to duty [:)]

I have a question: Is someone from the SPWAW crowd maybe registered at The Blitz wargame site ?
I was looking for players but they seem to play mostly the Camo versions, however I just installed a fresh
and updated SPWAW enh.FR so of course I want to PBM with that. Aside from the fact that the SPWW2 was
not so much my taste when I checked it out 2 years ago or so. Maybe it became better now ?

But I also would play 1-2 PBM outside the Blitz as training (guess I rusted a bit), just PM me if interested.
(small - medium battle in the ETO)

Also a question regarding Russian Steel: Will the remainder of the scens also be converted to ENH FR ? Or is someone still creating scens for it ?

planner 3 -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (2/25/2011 4:31:42 PM)

Alpha77 go try spwaw.com (Depot) they are always looking for PBEMers.

Alby -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (2/25/2011 7:24:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Hi guys, another old time SP player reports back to duty [:)]

I have a question: Is someone from the SPWAW crowd maybe registered at The Blitz wargame site ?
I was looking for players but they seem to play mostly the Camo versions, however I just installed a fresh
and updated SPWAW enh.FR so of course I want to PBM with that. Aside from the fact that the SPWW2 was
not so much my taste when I checked it out 2 years ago or so. Maybe it became better now ?

But I also would play 1-2 PBM outside the Blitz as training (guess I rusted a bit), just PM me if interested.
(small - medium battle in the ETO)

Also a question regarding Russian Steel: Will the remainder of the scens also be converted to ENH FR ? Or is someone still creating scens for it ?

The Blitz is mostly an SPWW2 site as opposed to SPWAW, meaning they lean more towards it...
I am considering finishing editing Russian Steel for ENH fr, but have not made up my mind yet, its alot of work...

Alpha77 -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (2/25/2011 7:39:55 PM)

Planner, thanks, I will try this, guess I was registered there also, hope my account is still active...

Alby, yes I guess it is a lot of work, maybe wait some weeks and post a survey who is still interested in this camp. When enough ppl. are interested you could try it if you got the time somehow....

TheDesertRat -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (2/28/2011 1:29:36 AM)

Wow.. Talk of a bunch of computer Neanderthals.
Most of you are running big screens and fast PCs. No doubt you all subscribed to Windows 7 Home Premium. Tough!

If some of you were a bit smarter you might think about Virtual PC and run SPWAW in that.

Re Virtual PC:
Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate, allow you to run multiple Windows environments, such as Windows XP Mode, from your Windows 7 desktop from Microsoft

As for doing thing with the code, first thing about the fact Mike Woods was doing his updates in his time not Matrix’s time, that is unpaid work.

Give the topic a break for at least two years..

NCrawler -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (5/10/2011 2:15:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheDesertRat
As for doing thing with the code, first thing about the fact Mike Woods was doing his updates in his time not Matrix’s time, that is unpaid work.

Hell, we were all doing unpaid work back in the day. Every bit of work that I did for Steel Lightning and SP:WAW was unpaid. It's a labor of love that keeps drawing me back in.

I have a couple of ideas that I am working on at the moment trying to extend the life of this version of SP:WAW since it is obvious Matrix isn't going to do anything with it. Being that the game is so old, the company that now owns the SSI holdings may release the game as open source. That seems to be a trend in the gaming industry...

Arctic Blast -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (5/11/2011 1:39:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCrawler

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheDesertRat

Hell, we were all doing unpaid work back in the day. Every bit of work that I did for Steel Lightning and SP:WAW was unpaid. It's a labor of love that keeps drawing me back in.

I have a couple of ideas that I am working on at the moment trying to extend the life of this version of SP:WAW since it is obvious Matrix isn't going to do anything with it. Being that the game is so old, the company that now owns the SSI holdings may release the game as open source. That seems to be a trend in the gaming industry...

Again, Matrix CAN'T do anything with SP:WAW...their window for being legally able to edit the SP3 code closed.

And I'd be quite surprised if Ubisoft decided to relinquish their rights to pretty much anything.

tracer -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (6/6/2011 3:26:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

And I'd be quite surprised if Ubisoft decided to relinquish their rights to pretty much anything.

Has anyone thought about 'approaching' them?

Call it 'wishful thinking', but for all we know they might have abandoned it, and would be willing to hand it over for open-source/non-commercial use.

Worth a shot, no?

JEB Davis -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (6/7/2011 1:56:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tracer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Has anyone thought about 'approaching' them?

Call it 'wishful thinking', but for all we know they might have abandoned it, and would be willing to hand it over for open-source/non-commercial use.

Worth a shot, no?

Worth a shot, yes indeed!

m10bob -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (6/16/2011 7:03:12 PM)

Hello friends..I still play on Win 7, works fine.......(I hang out in the WITP threads these days.)[:D]

Alby -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (6/16/2011 8:53:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Hello friends..I still play on Win 7, works fine.......(I hang out in the WITP threads these days.)[:D]

Hello Bob!

planner 3 -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (6/16/2011 9:24:01 PM)

Herro M10san , I thought I sunk you at Midway [sm=sterb011.gif]

soldier1 -> RE: Something needs to be done about SPWAW (6/24/2011 9:52:40 PM)

Theres a Panzer General remake in production so i guess a steel panthers remake is not out of the question sometime in the future but i doubt it would have the massive scale of WAW with all those countries and OObs. I think investors fear little return for the large amounts of time and effort that a game like SP would require and prefer to stick with easy, fun games like Battlefield Academy and Panzer Korps that are low risk financially (but I'm no expert and don't really know why combat leader was scrapped). I always hoped a big budget company would make the effort at a real SP style tactical war game, so i could forget about Matrix but all i got was cheap RTS garbage out for a quick buck [:(] .

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI