Toaw 3.4 Call for Scenarios (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

ralphtricky -> Toaw 3.4 Call for Scenarios (5/5/2010 12:58:39 AM)

Toaw 3.4 Call for Scenarios.

Please send me an email if you are interested in updating one of your scenarios in TOAW III or have a new scenario you'd like included.

RalphTrickey (at) OperationalWarfare.com

Thanks,
Ralph

Rules for scenario submission are as follows:

1. Updates of scenarios already in the suite are welcome. We expect veterans of the process to know what to do. Please try to maintain the formatting we used with the previous version.

2. New scenarios are no longer vetted by the team. But we do ask that designers vet their own work, and only submit quality designs. Regardless, the scenario must be “Valid” as per the “Properties” test. We will not fix a scenario that fails that test nor consider it for inclusion. If the scenario uses an equipment mod, the correct mod must be included.

3. If your submission is a modification of an existing designer’s scenario, and that designer can still be contacted, you should have his consent to submit. If the designer has dropped off the edge of the Earth then we’ll require no such consent.

4. There is no specific deadline for submission. But they must be ready to include well before the time the final build is started – and that may begin at any time. So submit ASAP. Dates are uncertain, but the build could be as early as May 30th.

5. Be sure to include any scenario specific graphics, equipment mod file, documents, scenario bmp, etc., preferably in their correct folders. Zip the entire package, if possible.

6. Send the scenarios to Nemo (at “toaw (at) free.fr”) for final formatting and inclusion in the 3.4 build. We recommend that you also submit a note (not the file itself) to Ralph (at “ralphtrickey (at) operationalwarfare.com”) that you did so, as a double check to make sure it isn’t missed.

7. Note that if you had previously sent scenario files to JAMIAM at any point since the last update, those files are probably not going to be found now – so send them again to Nemo to be safe.

8. We would appreciate if submissions would arrive already compliant with our format requirements. Otherwise, we will have to correct them for you. Those format requirements are to present a professional look to the suite and are as follows:

9. File name should be “Title Date.sce” – in that order. Title should use whole words. Dates should be four digits if possible. For example: “Saddams Final Gamble 2003.SCE”. Avoid strange mnemonics and abbreviations if possible. Use spaces, not underlines, for word separators. Especially leave off version numbers. It should be short enough to fit in the scenario list display width.

10. If possible, include a scenario bmp (see the "how to" document in the manual folder). Otherwise, one will have to be devised by the team.

11. The scenario briefing should begin with a header section that includes the following in order: Title, Version number, Designer’s name and email address, TOAW-3 version required, whether the scenario is PO programmed for either side and/or can be PBEM, date/location/hex-scale/turn-scale/unit-scale/length, and unit colors. Note that the briefing need not be in English (we welcome foreign-language designs). But, whatever language, please check spelling and grammar (best done with a word processor). An example briefing header is shown here (feel free to use it as a template):

"NAPOLEON'S LAST BATTLES"
The Waterloo Campaign

Version 4

Designer: Bob Cross
Email: (email address)

TOAW-3 ver. 3.4

:: PBEM ::
:: Allies PO, French PO ::

Date: June 16-18, 1815
Map scale: 2.5km per hex
Time scale: 6 hour turns
Unit scale: Division
Length: 10 turns

UNIT COLORS
French - White on Blue
Guard - Black on Dk. Blue

British - White on Red
Dutch-Belgian - Blue on Green
Brunswick - Blue on Black
Prussian - Gray on Dk. Gray

Panama -> RE: Toaw 3.4 Call for Scenarios (5/5/2010 1:37:52 AM)

holy cow [X(] [&o]

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Toaw 3.4 Call for Scenarios (5/5/2010 2:10:07 AM)

Ralph didn't discuss this with us before he posted, so I don't know for sure, but I doubt that he wants you to send the scenarios to him, personally. We're still pondering the correct destination for that, and there will be a few other instructions, if you'll stay tuned.

Karri -> RE: Toaw 3.4 Call for Scenarios (5/5/2010 7:51:46 AM)

Ralp, tell us more! Don't just disappear. When is the patch coming?

Jo van der Pluym -> RE: Toaw 3.4 Call for Scenarios (5/5/2010 12:07:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

Ralp, tell us more! Don't just disappear. When is the patch coming?

I hope saturday than it's 65 years ago VE-Day

Curtis Lemay -> Instructions: (5/6/2010 3:21:46 AM)

Rules for scenario submission are as follows:

1. Updates of scenarios already in the suite are welcome. We expect veterans of the process to know what to do. Please try to maintain the formatting we used with the previous version.

2. New scenarios are no longer vetted by the team. But we do ask that designers vet their own work, and only submit quality designs. Regardless, the scenario must be “Valid” as per the “Properties” test. We will not fix a scenario that fails that test nor consider it for inclusion. If the scenario uses an equipment mod, the correct mod must be included.

3. If your submission is a modification of an existing designer’s scenario, and that designer can still be contacted, you should have his consent to submit. If the designer has dropped off the edge of the Earth then we’ll require no such consent.

4. There is no specific deadline for submission. But they must be ready to include well before the time the final build is started – and that may begin at any time. So submit ASAP. Dates are uncertain, but the build could be as early as May 30th.

5. Be sure to include any scenario specific graphics, equipment mod file, documents, scenario bmp, etc., preferably in their correct folders. Zip the entire package, if possible.

6. Send the scenarios to Nemo (at “toaw (at) free.fr”) for final formatting and inclusion in the 3.4 build. We recommend that you also submit a note (not the file itself) to Ralph (at “ralphtrickey (at) operationalwarfare.com”) that you did so, as a double check to make sure it isn’t missed.

7. Note that if you had previously sent scenario files to JAMIAM at any point since the last update, those files are probably not going to be found now – so send them again to Nemo to be safe.

8. We would appreciate if submissions would arrive already compliant with our format requirements. Otherwise, we will have to correct them for you. Those format requirements are to present a professional look to the suite and are as follows:

9. File name should be “Title Date.sce” – in that order. Title should use whole words. Dates should be four digits if possible. For example: “Saddams Final Gamble 2003.SCE”. Avoid strange mnemonics and abbreviations if possible. Use spaces, not underlines, for word separators. Especially leave off version numbers. It should be short enough to fit in the scenario list display width.

10. If possible, include a scenario bmp (see the "how to" document in the manual folder). Otherwise, one will have to be devised by the team.

11. The scenario briefing should begin with a header section that includes the following in order: Title, Version number, Designer’s name and email address, TOAW-3 version required, whether the scenario is PO programmed for either side and/or can be PBEM, date/location/hex-scale/turn-scale/unit-scale/length, and unit colors. Note that the briefing need not be in English (we welcome foreign-language designs). But, whatever language, please check spelling and grammar (best done with a word processor). An example briefing header is shown here (feel free to use it as a template):

"NAPOLEON'S LAST BATTLES"
The Waterloo Campaign

Version 4

Designer: Bob Cross
Email: (email address)

TOAW-3 ver. 3.4

:: PBEM ::
:: Allies PO, French PO ::

Date: June 16-18, 1815
Map scale: 2.5km per hex
Time scale: 6 hour turns
Unit scale: Division
Length: 10 turns

UNIT COLORS
French - White on Blue
Guard - Black on Dk. Blue

British - White on Red
Dutch-Belgian - Blue on Green
Brunswick - Blue on Black
Prussian - Gray on Dk. Gray

Curtis Lemay -> Deadline! (6/2/2010 4:12:49 PM)

The Deadline for the TOAW 3.4 Call for scenarios has been set for June 6th. After that date, the call will close and no more entries will be considered.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Deadline! (6/7/2010 5:15:00 PM)

The TOAW 3.4 Call for scenarios has now closed and no further submissions will be accepted for this update. Thanks to all who submitted scenarios.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Deadline! (6/29/2010 5:53:15 PM)

Scenario Designers:

As you know, we closed the TOAW 3.4 call for scenarios back on June 6th. The scenario files had been mostly sent (as instructed) to Marc Martinez (Nemo). He was supposed to have then formatted and posted those submissions soon after they were received. Unfortunately, however, here’s what’s developed:

It has now been over three weeks since the call was closed and there’s been nothing from Marc. Furthermore, I can’t get any email response from him either. I don’t know what the issue is, but it’s time to take the next step. We’ve sat on our thumbs long enough and there’s no reason to continue to do so. The scenarios are the last thing left to do before the full build can be made.

So, I’m now asking submitters to resubmit their files – this time to me – that they had submitted to Marc before. My email is: crossrl (at) qzip.net.

Furthermore, since I don’t know just exactly who submitted to Marc, even those who didn’t submit earlier can still do so now, and I won’t be the wiser. (Don’t ask and don’t tell.) [;)] So, this is sort of like a second call. Same rules as before, though, and I won’t wait long (we’ve all waited long enough as it is).

Sorry for this inconvenience for those who had already submitted. And sorry for the delay for those that have been waiting. Marc may yet pop in with his results, and that will be a good thing. But everyone is waiting, and they shouldn’t have to any more than necessary.

Bob Cross

PS: A few of you did send your files to me the first time (Steve Sill, Mark Stevens and Ben Turner). No need for you to repeat - unless there were other submissions beyond those.

Jo van der Pluym -> RE: Deadline! (7/5/2010 7:43:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
Scenario Designers:

As you know, we closed the TOAW 3.4 call for scenarios back on June 6th. The scenario files had been mostly sent (as instructed) to Marc Martinez (Nemo). He was supposed to have then formatted and posted those submissions soon after they were received.

Bob Cross

This seem to be a FUBAR situation [:D]

Is there mayby all a DORU [:D] (Date of Release Update)

E -> RE: Deadline! (7/5/2010 11:08:30 AM)

I wonder how many, if any, scenario designers will miss these calls for re-submissions buried in original call threads.

Panama -> RE: Deadline! (7/5/2010 12:07:05 PM)

SNAFU

Telumar -> RE: Deadline! (7/5/2010 3:33:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

I wonder how many, if any, scenario designers will miss these calls for re-submissions buried in original call threads.

Bob sent an E-Mail to (hopefully) all.

E -> RE: Deadline! (7/5/2010 8:37:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

quote:

Bob sent an E-Mail to (hopefully) all.

I wouldn't think so, because of this statement...

quote:

Furthermore, since I don’t know just exactly who submitted to Marc, even those who didn’t submit earlier can still do so now, and I won’t be the wiser.

I guess my point is, wouldn't it be better to start a new thread that might catch the eye of more of the original scenario submission authors?

Panama -> RE: Deadline! (7/5/2010 9:08:32 PM)

quote:

I guess my point is, wouldn't it be better to start a new thread that might catch the eye of more of the original scenario submission authors?

Nothing is holding you back from linking this to a new. [;)]

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Deadline! (7/7/2010 5:13:34 PM)

Marc is a stand-up guy and I'm sure he has a good reason for his disapearance. But we don't know how long he may be gone and I'm not doing anything. So I figured I might as well go ahead and handle it.

Thus far, I've gotten the submissions from everyone that Marc told us had submitted except for two names I don't have email addresses for:

Miroslav Salomon and Mauro Medina.

I don't even know their psudonames. If anyone knows their email addresses please drop me a PM.

Of course, I don't know who may have submitted after Marc's last report. I can just hope that they see the anouncements.

pionier -> RE: Deadline! (7/7/2010 5:23:20 PM)

stop torture us [;)]

Panama -> RE: Deadline! (7/7/2010 6:44:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pionier

stop torture us [;)]

[:D]

L`zard -> RE: Deadline! (7/8/2010 12:22:06 AM)

Bob,

So what your saying is that things are on 'hold' until this part of the action becomes clarified?

[sm=Crazy-1271.gif]

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Deadline! (7/8/2010 4:49:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: L`zard

Bob,

So what your saying is that things are on 'hold' until this part of the action becomes clarified?

[sm=Crazy-1271.gif]

No. Things are not on hold now. They would be if we were still waiting on Marc.

Jo van der Pluym -> RE: Deadline! (7/11/2010 11:25:30 AM)

quote:

quote:

Bob,

[sm=Crazy-1271.gif]

If it's not now on hold when can we then expect the release of the update? Or is something else what you are waiting for?

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Deadline! (7/11/2010 8:47:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jo van der Pluym

quote:

quote:

Bob,

[sm=Crazy-1271.gif]

If it's not now on hold when can we then expect the release of the update? Or is something else what you are waiting for?

We're about ready to start the build. But I was sent the email addesses of the two guys I listed in post #15, and I'm giving them a few days to reply (one already has).

Once the build starts, it will be in Matrix's hands till that finishes. I don't know how long that will take. Then that build has to be tested (and any problems will require fixes and a rebuild, etc). So, we're plodding on, but giving a date is beyond our abilities.

Panama -> RE: Deadline! (7/12/2010 12:21:07 AM)

quote:

We're about ready to start the build. But I was sent the email addesses of the two guys I listed in post #15, and I'm giving them a few days to reply (one already has).

Once the build starts, it will be in Matrix's hands till that finishes. I don't know how long that will take. Then that build has to be tested (and any problems will require fixes and a rebuild, etc). So, we're plodding on, but giving a date is beyond our abilities.

So I hear you saying four or five weeks give or take twelve months. [:D]

pionier -> RE: Deadline! (7/12/2010 5:27:29 PM)

quote:

Once the build starts, it will be in Matrix's hands till that finishes.

I ever thought that this would be just a matter of hours? This sounds like it will take days or even weeks?

Jo van der Pluym -> RE: Deadline! (7/12/2010 8:10:25 PM)

quote:

quote:

I ever thought that this would be just a matter of hours? This sounds like it will take days or even weeks?

Mayby can't we because of the long delay, TOAW The Operational Art of War rename in The Obsolescence Art of War[:D][:D]

L`zard -> RE: Deadline! (7/13/2010 1:37:16 AM)

[;)]

Sweet, Jo!

[X(]

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Deadline! (7/13/2010 4:23:41 PM)

Well, I've informed Matrix that the update site is now ready for the build to begin.

Designers who've missed the second call for whatever reason may now be out of luck. But, as I've said, I don't know what Matrix's schedule is. If they incur delays, there may still be a window that could fit a few more in. And, the build is basically a computer program, and they are always subject to bugs. If the test of the build reveals errors, they will have to be fixed, and that will allow another short window to fit a few more in at that time - if it occurs.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Deadline! (7/13/2010 4:26:10 PM)

quote:

quote:

If you read any time period into what I said then you are in error. I simply do not know anything about how long it will take.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: Deadline! (7/15/2010 8:43:30 PM)

quote:

Well, I've informed Matrix that the update site is now ready for the build to begin.

Designers who've missed the second call for whatever reason may now be out of luck. But, as I've said, I don't know what Matrix's schedule is. If they incur delays, there may still be a window that could fit a few more in. And, the build is basically a computer program, and they are always subject to bugs. If the test of the build reveals errors, they will have to be fixed, and that will allow another short window to fit a few more in at that time - if it occurs.

Erik has informed me that their schedule will delay the start of the build until next Tueday (7/20/10). Therefore, there is still a window to get any last minute scenarios in to me by Monday evening (7/19/10). After that the window will shut for good, unless there is a need for a second build.

Ibilja -> RE: Deadline! (7/15/2010 9:06:47 PM)

Bob,

Is there any way that a list of scenarios that will be included in the 3.4 patch can be given before the final build is done?

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI