RE: HPS France '14 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

jomni -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 9:25:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro
I can't imagine having to give orders to every single unit on the map-that would be insanity.

This is the same reason why I don't play TOAW anymore.

jomni -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 9:35:11 AM)

Well JTCS looks similar to HPS and SB games but JTCS looks more polished despite being older.
Is it just me or the John Tiller games are really a treat when playing PBEM?  I'm having so much fun doing JTCS and SB pbem compared to my other PBEM games.
Are PzC John Tiller games as well?

htuna -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 12:14:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowlander

I found these files in the mod section at www.campaigns-france.org/

Copy them to the Map folder of the title you want to convert.
Remember and save the original files first, however they can be recovered from the game disc.
I use the show hexes in 2D to help with the undulations.

I don't know who the author was but the boy done real good !!!.
But made a minor alteration, I had to crop off the bottom then add the sand tiles which were not present, works with all the PZC/MC games including 1914, BUT NOT ANY OF THE MED TITLES.
But a 2D desert terrain mod is also available at this site.

The file is TOO LARGE to upload it's only around 1.2MB zipped.
Send me a e-mail l'll attach the zip file for anybody who want's them.

Thanks I downloaded it.. thanks for sharing!

Adam Parker -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 1:52:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: UniformYankee

All, in all this looks like a more polished and complete effort, than a number of the more recent PzC or Modern Campaigns, so I suspect I will play it longer as well.

Great write-up UY! Keep it coming.

Also really appreciate the screen pics V22 and Lowlander. Those map and unit box graphics are indeed very fresh - I mean something that looks like a real pleasure to game over. The hex outlines are a great look and surprise!

I wish something could be done with the 2d NATO icons - some descriptive text on them etc. Might mean bigger counters of course but I'm still not a fan of the 3d look unfortunately.

Guys, can you post some more pics such as the arty planning dialog that UY refers to? The 3d zoom out too?

Btw what are those diamond icons in V22's pic? A new way to represent broken and unknown units etc?

Hope HPS can pull this one off AI-wise with great success.

eastwindrain -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 3:34:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowlander

I found these files in the mod section at www.campaigns-france.org/

Copy them to the Map folder of the title you want to convert.
Remember and save the original files first, however they can be recovered from the game disc.
I use the show hexes in 2D to help with the undulations.

I don't know who the author was but the boy done real good !!!.
But made a minor alteration, I had to crop off the bottom then add the sand tiles which were not present, works with all the PZC/MC games including 1914, BUT NOT ANY OF THE MED TITLES.
But a 2D desert terrain mod is also available at this site.

The file is TOO LARGE to upload it's only around 1.2MB zipped.
Send me a e-mail l'll attach the zip file for anybody who want's them.

Thanks I downloaded it.. thanks for sharing!

That's the Kharkov mod but remember the 2D terrain files don't have any sand hexes, but again maybe you'll prefer this as we all have different tastes, however if you want the altered files just contact me.

eastwindrain -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 3:42:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: UniformYankee

All, in all this looks like a more polished and complete effort, than a number of the more recent PzC or Modern Campaigns, so I suspect I will play it longer as well.

Great write-up UY! Keep it coming.

Also really appreciate the screen pics V22 and Lowlander. Those map and unit box graphics are indeed very fresh - I mean something that looks like a real pleasure to game over. The hex outlines are a great look and surprise!

I wish something could be done with the 2d NATO icons - some descriptive text on them etc. Might mean bigger counters of course but I'm still not a fan of the 3d look unfortunately.

Guys, can you post some more pics such as the arty planning dialog that UY refers to? The 3d zoom out too?

Btw what are those diamond icons in V22's pic? A new way to represent broken and unknown units etc?

Hope HPS can pull this one off AI-wise with great success.

Another 2D zoom in level would be excellent.
The diamond icons are
B for broken
D for demoralized
? for a unknown enemy unit

[image]local://upfiles/18923/338F8D5D22B54B27836F0E128411312A.jpg[/image]

eastwindrain -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 3:51:45 PM)

Can only attach one pic per post, to be honest I'm still playing catch up as my current games of HPS Budapest'45 and Matrix WitP/AE which is absoulutely superb take up most of my time.
When War in the East is released I think I just check into a nursing home with my PC, a bed wash and served meals should be enough of a distraction.

[image]local://upfiles/18923/1BBB395BE658442681C93330A178CFE1.jpg[/image]

pvthudson01 -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 5:00:52 PM)

That is a terrible view. I play in the 3D unit counter view. Show people that and they may like it better!

pvthudson01 -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 5:04:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Wow, I had forgotten how dated the HPS engine's graphics are, but there's no denying that it's easier to see that ridge to the South of Charleroi in the 3D mode.

I don't need the latest graphics to make me happy, but something above 256 colors would be nice...ufda!

Like I said these screens are the worst possible views to post in this game and I am not sure why people insist on doing that

The game with the right mods does fine you can see some good shots here of Panzer Campaigns France 40 AAR:

http://thewarrealm.com/?p=2112

That is the way you SHOULD play the game

eastwindrain -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 5:25:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01

quote:

Wow, I had forgotten how dated the HPS engine's graphics are, but there's no denying that it's easier to see that ridge to the South of Charleroi in the 3D mode.

I don't need the latest graphics to make me happy, but something above 256 colors would be nice...ufda!

Like I said these screens are the worst possible views to post in this game and I am not sure why people insist on doing that

The game with the right mods does fine you can see some good shots here of Panzer Campaigns France 40 AAR:

We are all different and thank god for that.

[image]local://upfiles/18923/3560BB997733432290820E8ABE2E1033.jpg[/image]

Here is a AAR of the Minsk'44 campaign designed for HTH play which I completed a few years back.
www.theblitz.org/message_boards/showthread.php?tid=47226

pvthudson01 -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 8:27:25 PM)

Yes sorry didnt mean to sound thats the only way to play it but man I just cant SEE anything and the models are so poor compared to what Tiller and Talonsoft did on the Campaign series.

Now that last shot...I like that. Good ole grognard style ha ha.

I dont want to advertise other games here on the Matrix boards but I am on the Blitz also if you are interested in Panzer Campaign games. Dont have the WW1 one yet.

Ok sorry for the derail back to the game!

htuna -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 9:55:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

On the full game screen shot I see the hot keys listed on the left.. is that a 'mod' thing? I'd like that.. cause sometimes when I haven't played in awhile, I have to keep Alt Tabbing out to the manual to learn em again!

V22 Osprey -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 10:37:49 PM)

Heard someone say they wanted another 2D view Screenshot of Mapmod. Here's 2:

[image]local://upfiles/28875/E8F35ADCAE974A7EBF757FA6CE3FC8F2.jpg[/image]

[image]local://upfiles/28875/2CA93E145BC14526B52E9D26D1F752DA.jpg[/image]

sol_invictus -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 10:58:21 PM)

Thanks for the great screens. Those Mapmod units and map are just drop dead sexy.[sm=happy0065.gif] How about posting a few more.[;)] That might hold me over until my game arrives. Hopefully tomorrow.[sm=innocent0001.gif]

V22 Osprey -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 11:23:20 PM)

No Prob.

The first screenshot is from the Ardennes scenario, showing the jump map. The Ardennes scenario is probably the best of the game. It's not too big, not too small, forces are evenly matched and start off next to each so the slug match begins right away. It's a good action scenario.

[image]local://upfiles/28875/C25F6A73EB9644F4938DFAE89A5A02AB.jpg[/image]

[image]local://upfiles/28875/ED5C92D346F04ADF936185D4066D94B4.jpg[/image]

Adam Parker -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 11:32:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

Heard someone say they wanted another 2D view Screenshot of Mapmod.]

Hi V22, so was that first screen pic of your way above - a mod?

Darn, I was hoping the map and unit boxes depicted were HPS's own new graphics!

V22 Osprey -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/1/2010 11:38:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

quote:

Heard someone say they wanted another 2D view Screenshot of Mapmod.]

Hi V22, so was that first screen pic of your way above - a mod?

Darn, I was hoping the map and unit boxes depicted were HPS's own new graphics!

Yes it was MapMod. HOWEVER, the stock HPS 2D graphics DOES use a modified version of Mapmod.(http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/WW1/France14/france14.html) so I'm happy to say the 2D stock graphics are better, but the Units cards just look terrible Now.

rahamy -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/2/2010 2:39:08 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: pellen

I could tolerate the 2d graphics version, but the win 3.11 style 1990-ish user interface is unbearable. Having the look and feel of early Windows office applications is not likely to be a good way to get suspension of belief and let the player get into the game world. That the game is running in windowed mode with a visible window bar in the screenshots of course only helps make it look much worse.

Actually, I like that it plays n a window. It makes much easier to do other things while the game is playing. I can play my own music, I can see all my steam alerts, and I could browse the internet while I'm waiting for the AI to finish. Unless you are using something like 800x600 or below(It's 2010 people, if you don't have atleast 1024x768, then I think you need to do a hardware check) then the windows bar doesn't take up a lot of space at all. And if you are using a 30 inch screen, it's like it's not even there.

I agree.. I like the way HPS works in the window.. unlike some games.. where the functionality is screwed up if you choose windowed mode (unless you autohide your task bar or something..

I'll add my voice to that and say I like the window mode as well. Plus tool bar + hot keys + menus gives you multiple ways to get what you want and makes it pretty easy to play - IMHO

rahamy -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/2/2010 2:41:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Well JTCS looks similar to HPS and SB games but JTCS looks more polished despite being older.
Is it just me or the John Tiller games are really a treat when playing PBEM?  I'm having so much fun doing JTCS and SB pbem compared to my other PBEM games.
Are PzC John Tiller games as well?

PBEM is a great way to play for sure & the PzzC series is by JT as well, yes.

htuna -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/2/2010 2:55:31 AM)

All this HPS talk got me the urge.. Just ordered Bulge 44 from NWS... already downloaded the Patch - Map Mod and Volcano Mod in anticipation!

axisandallies -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/2/2010 3:06:43 AM)

anyone have windows 7 and if so how do hps games play on it?

V22 Osprey -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/2/2010 3:10:22 AM)

Yes, played France '14 at my friends house on his iMac using the Windows 7 side. It ran perfectly.

axisandallies -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/2/2010 3:22:46 AM)

ok thanks, looks they have some good games.

sol_invictus -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/2/2010 5:13:22 AM)

Thanks for the "bonus" screens V22. I just love staring at these. I haven't anticipated a game this badly in a long time.

Adam Parker -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/3/2010 12:40:53 AM)

quote:

All this HPS talk got me the urge.. Just ordered Bulge 44 from NWS... already downloaded the Patch - Map Mod and Volcano Mod in anticipation!

One of my favorites. Other than SSG's regimental Ardennes Offensive (now needing an update) it remains the only title giving the entire campaign on the PC.

pvthudson01 -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/3/2010 1:55:35 AM)

quote:

On the full game screen shot I see the hot keys listed on the left.. is that a 'mod' thing? I'd like that.. cause sometimes when I haven't played in awhile, I have to keep Alt Tabbing out to the manual to learn em again!

Yes the key on my unit display area are a mod

htuna -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/3/2010 2:18:53 AM)

quote:

quote:

Yes the key on my unit display area are a mod

Can you direct me to that mod?.. would it conflict with MapMod?

pvthudson01 -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/3/2010 4:02:03 AM)

Sure here you go

http://members.shaw.ca/gcsaunders/downloads2.html

It does not conflict

It is the Arno Roos mod listed just above the France 40 OOB PDF File

htuna -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/3/2010 4:47:30 AM)

Thanks... it helped me figure out how to just do my own!

[image]local://upfiles/31099/CEE3DD2F9036467B9B3B03D57A409068.jpg[/image]

htuna -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/3/2010 5:03:37 AM)

One thing I haven't been able to figure out.. what do those lil white dots on the bottom right corner of some of the counters mean?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI