RE: HPS France '14 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

htuna -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/4/2010 1:43:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

One thing I haven't been able to figure out.. what do those lil white dots on the bottom right corner of some of the counters mean?

OK.. figured it out.. lil white dot means "Recon Ability"

Fallschirmjager -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/14/2010 4:08:30 AM)

I got this game in the mail today along with North German Plain and Squad Battle Vietnam. I am looking forward to trying this one out.

sol_invictus -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/14/2010 4:59:05 AM)

It's a really nice game. Be sure to check out the Mapmod.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/14/2010 6:42:35 AM)

What is the link to the map mod? And which one should I get? I see several in this thread

V22 Osprey -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/14/2010 6:44:13 AM)

http://www.hist-sdc.com/MapMod/fwwc.htm

Fallschirmjager -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/14/2010 11:59:43 PM)

My initial impressions are that this is a pretty good game. It still feels like an old design but the quality and game play carry it through.
So far I went through the getting started scenario which is the final hours of the battle for Liege. I managed to take all but three of the forts but at the cost of 3,600 casualties. The artillery really has to pound the forts for a while before they will break. After a while and repeated assualts I got most of the forts and a decisive victory and 8,000 Belgians were casualties or captured.
Next I played the entire battle of Mons as the British and got a draw. The new artillery system is pretty neat in that it requires you to pre plot your heavier guns and requires some planning instead of the instant artillery that you get in Panzer Campaigns and Modern Campaigns. The Germans through mass sheer numbers and devastating artillery took the Canal and Mons and I made several desperate counter attacks but could not dislodge them. Finally I settled back to defending again and the cut up German battalions had no hope of making any further progress.
I took 2,300 casualties mostly from my futile counter attacks and failing to dig in when I should have. The Germans took 6,400 casualties and my artillery (the little that I had, how did the British make it with so few guns?) really gave them a beating for every yard gained. Even the 18 pounders were tearing gaps into the German lines and sometimes I was getting 75 casualties with a single bombardment. My big guns like the 4.5 inch and the 60 pounder had to be pre-plotted but when they hit they really did big damage. Disorganizing a battalion in 1-2 hits was possible. The one problem I kept having is running out of ammo with my big guns and getting supplied only about every 3 turns of so.

The game does a fantastic job of simulating the first few months of the war and the supply problems that all armies face. Machine guns were not plentiful enough. There were not enough guns per 1,000 men and shells for those guns were only about a quarter of what was needed. Even basics like rifle and machine gun ammo were not enough and those hard lessons are displayed in the game.

Further playing I am sure will uncover more but so far I am happy. If there is one thing the game needs it is more scenarios of the small to medium size. Hopefully some dedicated fans will pump out some high quality scenarios.
The scenario I am working on right now is the Ardennes scenario which is part of the Battle of the Frontiers which is my favorite battle of the First World War.

sol_invictus -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/15/2010 4:52:24 AM)

The Ardennes scenario is great as the Germans. One of the few meeting engagements in the game and things get really tense from the word go. The poor French start in a really compromised position. I tried Mons as the Germans and got slapped silly. That British rifle fire is extremely deadly and that damn canal might as well be the Grand Canyon for all the chance the Germans have of getting on the other side. I was next to Mons and had the units in it reduced and ready to crack but time ran out. I was moving good on my left but simply ran out of time. The Germans always seem to be short of time. I am playing Charleroi as the Germans now and again there is a canal across the front and French machineguns and 75s covering all crossings. If I can reduce Namur I hope I can make a breakthrough but all the Germans facing it start off fixed so I must wait. I have found that slow and steady is the best bet. You have to systematically weaken the defender before making the big push and I'm not patient by nature. Really enjoying the game and can't wait for the Eastern front release.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/15/2010 7:08:21 AM)

The Germans advantage is weight of numbers and number of artillery guns and the number of heavy guns. In the real war they still found themselves having a lack of guns and shells but compared to other armies had planned better for a real war. The French 75 while quick firing as a revolutionary gun design did not have the weight of fire needed to properly break up advancing waves or soften up defenses and as all armies experienced the number of shells they had on hand was much fewer than needed. The rate of fire was much higher than expected in combat and shell reserves quickly ran out.

I am playing the Ardenes as the Germans as well and I have only made it two turns in but I am finding out that any sort of attacking is hard going. And I really need to learn how to use calvary, I am terrible at it.
Also the 7.7cm FK 98 gun is a very mediocre weapon. It has mobility but that is about it. Range is bad and firepower is left wanting. Thankfully the Germans have medium and heavy guns but never enough of them.

I also think the game needs machine gun strength to be increased. I realize they are only companies but I find that rifles are far deadlier and machine guns don't seem to do enough damage even on the defensive.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/15/2010 7:17:15 AM)

Double post

V22 Osprey -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/15/2010 6:13:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

The Germans advantage is weight of numbers and number of artillery guns and the number of heavy guns. In the real war they still found themselves having a lack of guns and shells but compared to other armies had planned better for a real war. The French 75 while quick firing as a revolutionary gun design did not have the weight of fire needed to properly break up advancing waves or soften up defenses and as all armies experienced the number of shells they had on hand was much fewer than needed. The rate of fire was much higher than expected in combat and shell reserves quickly ran out.

I am playing the Ardenes as the Germans as well and I have only made it two turns in but I am finding out that any sort of attacking is hard going. And I really need to learn how to use calvary, I am terrible at it.
Also the 7.7cm FK 98 gun is a very mediocre weapon. It has mobility but that is about it. Range is bad and firepower is left wanting. Thankfully the Germans have medium and heavy guns but never enough of them.

I also think the game needs machine gun strength to be increased. I realize they are only companies but I find that rifles are far deadlier and machine guns don't seem to do enough damage even on the defensive.

Actually, MGs do ALLOT of damage. Allied MGs are much weaker than German ones, as the average allied MG unit has ~30 men while the average German MG unit has ~90-100 men. Keep in mind also, this aren't those measly 200-300 man units we see in Panzer Campaigns. In France '14, the average unit size is 1000 men so they are going to cause more damage than you are used to.

Most likely you are shots fired from MGs at the 2 hex range. Try firing an MG at a unit right next to it, and see what happens. Then try actually assaulting an MG, the casualties will mount up fast.

BAL -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/15/2010 6:48:53 PM)

In case anyone is interested, the design notes for France '14 are posted at GameSquad (in 3 parts). Just look on the right side of the screen.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/forum.php

Fallschirmjager -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/16/2010 4:43:34 AM)

Map mod is pretty but doesn't do a thing to make 3-D mode any more pretty. That is the primary mode I play in due to a large monitor and 2-D mode being so tiny.
The new unit cards are pretty though.

sol_invictus -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/16/2010 4:56:42 AM)

I am afraid that 3-D mode is hopeless.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/16/2010 5:08:36 AM)

I have a 30" screen and 2D mode is so tiny that is is unplayable. It has a few uses in seeing the larger picture but plotting movements and attacks cannot be done. My eyes just turned 26 and even at my age I cannot see what is going on ;)

pelle75 -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/16/2010 8:57:08 AM)

Can't you force the game to play at a lower resolution?

BAL -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/16/2010 1:38:48 PM)

quote:

I have a 30" screen and 2D mode is so tiny that is is unplayable. It has a few uses in seeing the larger picture but plotting movements and attacks cannot be done. My eyes just turned 26 and even at my age I cannot see what is going on ;)

Are you sure you're viewing in normal & not zoom-out mode?

V22 Osprey -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/16/2010 5:50:34 PM)

Since it plays in a window, you have to change your entire monitor's resolution manually in order for the game to appear larger.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/17/2010 6:46:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAL

quote:

Are you sure you're viewing in normal & not zoom-out mode?

Yes, at no zoom level is 2D mode playable.

Once Joey -> RE: HPS France '14 (9/12/2011 7:42:47 AM)

France '14 looks to be nearly flawless... gameplay, graphics, and research all come together here. I enjoy this one very much (being a follower of the PzC series).

I am wondering - that with the new MapMod Terrain/Unit Cards, does the "Volcano Mod" fit comfortably into the overall gameplay and graphics? I know first-hand that the Volcano Mods are likely the best in any genre (legendary), are they very compatible with France '14 as a stand-alone Mod, or in combo with Jison MapMods?

Rosseau -> RE: HPS France '14 (9/14/2011 2:24:46 AM)

I must be getting old (55), impatient, or both. There was just no way I could deal with France '14 from a micromanagement perspective. Just moving the units, especially because they are so much slower a la WWI, the pace of the game seemed glacial. But at least you guys like it [:)]

Once Joey -> RE: HPS France '14 (9/14/2011 9:47:34 PM)

<off topic deleted by user>

Perturabo -> RE: HPS France '14 (9/29/2011 3:02:33 PM)

Does this game have small scenarios that allow commanding 2 levels of command down?

BAL -> RE: HPS France '14 (9/29/2011 4:43:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Does this game have small scenarios that allow commanding 2 levels of command down?

List o' scenarios

http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/Tiller-Operational-Campaigns/F14/action=list&game=146

Perturabo -> RE: HPS France '14 (9/29/2011 9:03:01 PM)

I can't find an answer to my question there.

BAL -> RE: HPS France '14 (9/30/2011 1:08:20 AM)

quote:

I can't find an answer to my question there.

Click on "Details" and it will give you number of turns and a description of the scenario. (SM means "size modifier" which, unless you're active on the ladders, doesn't mean much)

Perturabo -> RE: HPS France '14 (9/30/2011 1:11:35 AM)

It doesn't write number of units, though, which is the thing that interests me the most. A low number of turns doesn't help much if I have to command an army brigade by brigade or something like that.

mgarnett -> RE: HPS France '14 (9/30/2011 7:40:21 AM)

quote:

It doesn't write number of units, though, which is the thing that interests me the most. A low number of turns doesn't help much if I have to command an army brigade by brigade or something like that.

Hi Perturabo,

I haven't got this game yet, although I want it and I am waiting very patiently for HPS to finally release it in downloadable form. From what I understand, it's very similar to the Panzer Campaigns series and if that's the case, all of those games have scenarios ranging from as small as 10 or so unit per side, up to many hundreds of units per size.

I see no reason why this would be difference, but you might have more luck posting on the HPS section of the Wargamer forums or by sending an email to HPS and asking them.

Cheers

Mark

Recognition -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/5/2013 4:18:41 AM)

Im really wanting to order this.
Is there a community or anybody playing France 1914? and have any more mods come out?

Cheers

benpark -> RE: HPS France '14 (7/5/2013 5:30:26 AM)

Never mind- thought this was on SB WWI.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI