The Conspirator (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Capt. Harlock -> The Conspirator (2/24/2011 8:29:44 PM)

quote:

It was under his leadership that the Lincoln conspirators were tried. It was under his leadership that Henry Wirz, the commandant of Andersonville Prison was tried. He letter to Andrew Johnson after the Wirz trial was a scathing indictment of that Confederate officer, and based upon my recent research it appears that Holt was completely wrong. My article "No Darker Field of Crime" about Wirz's trial was just published this week.

Where can we find the article? It looks very interesting, especially considering that a Robert Redford-directed movie about about the prosecution of the Lincoln "conspirators" is about to be released.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Conspirator (2/24/2011 8:57:32 PM)

I have the article in pdf format. I'll be glad to email to anybody who sends me their email address via PM (or however you wish to do so). Cpt. Harlock, I'll check your profile to see if your PM is listed.

The article "No Darker Field of Crime" appears in the Spring 2011 issue of Georgia Backroads magazine, hot off the press this week. During the proofing process, the article was reviewed by a historian in California. After reading it and then following through with the source information, he told me that he had changed his mind about Henry Wirz's culpability for Andersonville. It's a fascinating story.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Conspirator (2/25/2011 7:51:52 PM)

12/7/42

Brad declined the offer of a sabbatical, which surprised me a bit. He says his interest in the game is on the increase. So, as we celebrate the one-year anniversary of his attack on Pearl Harbor, the game shall continue.

Daly Waters: The Japanese bombard, thus revealing their strength as 8th Tanks, 33rd Infantry Regiment, and 146th Infantry Regiment. That's 300+ AV facing about 350 Allied AV. Too strong for either of us to dislodge the other, methinks, though I have more troops on the way.

Exmouth: Carriers and transports will swing wide of the SW Oz cape over the next two or three days. I am pretty nervous about this operation, for some reason. I have three picket ships NW of Perth. Then will proceed futher north as D-Day approaches.

India: The Alllies will take vacant Koggala on the Ceylon's eastern tip by para-assault tomorrow. If successful, the Ceylon "invaders" can land there to move on Colombo and Trincomalee. That move will take place by the end of the month, I think. The Allied army besieiging Calcutta will try a shock attack tomorrow.

obvert -> RE: The Conspirator (2/26/2011 11:51:24 AM)

Good news. Two of your AARs still in full swing. And this means we'll see some fireworks very soon!

Smeulders -> RE: The Conspirator (2/27/2011 5:50:15 PM)

Might be a bit late, but as you are having supply problems in India you might want to try the following.

Supply moves between bases more or less often based on the distance and the sort of hexes/roads between the two bases. The further, the less often supplies will move. Now, if there is a large distance between your supply depots and you spearhead, supplies will move only occasionally, leading to supply problems. What I would try is to make the supplies move smoother. Increase supply required at intermediate bases starting from the ones closest to the depots and moving further out. As these intermediate depots are built up, the distance from your spearhead to supplies decreases, meaning supplies will move more often. The intermediate bases will get resupplied from the depot in the same turn, if they are close enough. For example.

Depot ------------------------> Spearhead: long distance, supplies move only occasionally, let's say once a week.
Depot --------->A------------> Spearhead: we increased supply required at A, now supplies can move from A to the spearhead. This would lead to too few supplies in A, but if the distances are about equal A gets resupplied from the depot in the same turn, so A will give it's supply away.

If my understanding of the supply mechanics is correct this should lead to a better supply situation for your front line units.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Conspirator (2/28/2011 3:56:15 PM)

12/8/42 and 12/9/42

Calcutta: Allied shock attack on the 8th dropped forts to one and did relatively equal and light damage to both sides. After resting the troops on the 9th, they'll try again tomorrow. I expect Calcutta to fall within a week, which will leave Japane with the Ledo to Imphal bases plus Colombo and Trincomalee.

India: Smeulders, thanks for the advice. I have tried to draw suppy forward step by step. I have some decent levels at Mangalore and Bangalore, but can't get it to draw to Madras and Trivandrum. I'll keep trying (and I have a few small cargo ships at or nearing Trivandrum). I do expect the Allies to control all of India (plus probably North Male Island and Addu Atoll) by the end of 1942.

Daly Waters: An Allied recon armor unit is one hex from Katherine and shows now enemy troops there. That strikes me as odd. Neither side is attacking at Daly Waters, where both sides have 350+ AV. Both sides may be tighter on supply than they want the other side to know. Another 350 AV Allied troops are perhaps 10 days away.

Exmouth: The troop transports and carriers are west of the Oz's SW cape and turn north tomorrow. I've swapped out a Lightning recon unit for the PBY's that have been reconning Exmouth for months now. I'm hoping Brad won't catch the sudden change in plane type. I'm also going to hit Exmouth with B-24s tomorrow - I need to know if Brad is there in force, even though I don't want to raise his concern level, because I only have two Aussie brigades available. I don't want to land if Brad has a Naval Guard unit or more.

desicat -> RE: The Conspirator (3/1/2011 3:09:27 AM)

Reading Q-Balls WITE AAR I get the impression that the bloom is off the rose and you can expect to see him have more interest in the game at hand. I am very interested to see how the Sumatra invasion goes so lets hope things pick up.

Wild -> RE: The Conspirator (3/1/2011 4:40:50 AM)

Since Q-Ball has just joined a WITE tournament, i wouldn't say the rose has wilted yet.

Canoerebel, this has been a wonderful AAR. I too hope your opponent returns to give his all to this great match-up.

Edit sp.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Conspirator (3/1/2011 6:09:09 PM)

12/10/42

India: Allied shock attack at Calcutta comes off at 1:1, drops forts to zero, inflicts slight damage (though heavier on Japan - seven squads destroyed to one for the Allies), and results in low disruption to Allied units. I'm going to rest my guys for one day, then shock attack on the 12th. Unless I'm missing something, the base should change hands. This will be a major psychological boost for the Allies. I remember the bad ol' day when I was retreating in the face of an onslaught; Q-Ball wrote in an email something like "Leaving so soon?" It was galling to be getting pushed like that. I'm glad it's late 1942.

Daly Waters: Another hexside should get closed tomorrow, leaving the enemy garrison with just one through which to retreat (and it will close in about three to five days). An armored recon unit should enter Katherine, which seems vacant, tomorrow. That means the base, if it remains vacant, would change hands on the 12th. In addition, the Allied reinforcements from Alice Springs will be reaching Daly Waters over the next week to two weeks. At that point, the Allies will have decisions: attack at Daly; move on Darwin; or move down the interior roads towards Derby, etc. Not sure yet, but I do feel like this move, in conjunction with the impending Allied invasion of Exmouth, should have Brad focusing on a growing Allied threat to NW Oz and Timor. And that's just what I want.

Exmouth: Nothing's going wrong here, but for reasons I can't quite put my finger on I am ill at ease with this invasion. I have three picket ships heading north and the carriers and amphbious TFs are a bit north of Perth now. It's a bit of a journey from there to Exmouth, but D-Day is probably four to five days away. But I just don't have a good feeling about things. I"m trying to figure out whether I need to play my hunch or whether this is pre-invasion jitters that I need to ignore.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Conspirator (3/2/2011 6:14:17 PM)

12/11/42

India: The Allies will shock attack at Calcutta tomorrow. I am optimistic, but not positve, that the base will change hands.

Daly Waters: Not quite sure what Brad is thinking up this way. With three good IJA units (350 AV) isolated at Daly Waters, he may not be too anxious to attack or defend vigorously short of Darwin, which would suit me. Katherine is vacant and will fall to the Allies tomorrow. Darwin has at least a regiment, though I think the defense is more like a regiment and a brigade. Over at Daly Waters, the Allies will close the last hexside in two days, with the bulk of the reinforcements arriving in about a week or so. At that point, I think the Allies will try to take Daly. If my 700 +/- AV takes too long on the job, though, it will embolden Brad to perhaps reinforce and fight (right now he doesn't know how much I have). So the stakes are pretty high.

Exmouth: I remain unaccountably very nervous about this operation. The carriers are just west of Geraldton, the invasion TFs are just west of Perth and will leapfrog the carriers tomorrow or the day after, and the picket ships are well to the west of Exmouth. D-Day is probably four or five days off. I think Exmouth has a Naval Guard unit and a small base force. Do the Allies have enough in two Aussie brigades or do I need to scrub the mission for now? I dunno.

witpqs -> RE: The Conspirator (3/2/2011 7:14:26 PM)

Once you take that last hex side the Imperial forces will only be able to receive supply by air. Either he has a whole bunch there or he doesn't realize that you are about the turn off the spigot.

Re Exmouth, are the hairs on the back of your neck standing up or something? Do you know where is KB?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Conspirator (3/2/2011 7:40:32 PM)

Re: Exmouth: I do not know where the KB is. I haven't seen it in months. It could be in the Pacific, it could be in the DEI, or it could be in the Bay of Bengal. (I do know that Hiyo and Junyo are up around Eniwetok, so at least he doesn't have every single carrier in the fleet parked two hexes north of Exmouth.) As stated, no idea as to the KB's location, but the hairs on my neck are standing on end even though I haven't caught the slightest whisper of danger.

About a week ago, Brad did finally wake up and realize he faced an Allied army at Daly Waters. By then it was too late to extract his troops, so he's just sitting in place. He might supply by air, or he might pull a Dunkirk by air. I'm fortunate to have isolated and partially bypassed what seems to have been his major garrison and bump in the road outside of Darwin. If (big IF) the Allies are able to move forward and occupy some of the coastal bases like Derby or Broome, that should help isolate Corunna Downs and Port Headland. That, in turn, should help the Allies ramp up the appearance of a threat to Timor and Darwin, which is just what I want as I continue my plans to invade Sumatra.

I love it when a plan comes together, but I doubt it's going to come together remotely how I'd like.

Capt. Harlock -> RE: The Conspirator (3/2/2011 8:29:18 PM)

quote:

I love it when a plan comes together, but I doubt it's going to come together remotely how I'd like.

The plan arrives at the battlefield on schedule, but is usually one of the first casualties . . .[:D]

paullus99 -> RE: The Conspirator (3/2/2011 8:37:40 PM)

At minimum, it'll generate some excitement and perhaps some added interest in the game by your opponent.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Conspirator (3/3/2011 4:13:42 PM)

12/12/42

Nothing major going on, but some letdowns today:

Calcutta: The Allies didn't quite achieve 1:1 odds, and the shock attack failed to take this base. I was quite surprised, and my army was rather disrupted afterwards. I have reinforcements arriving daily and will try again in about four days. But I wanted to take Calcutta so that I can being employing my troops elsewhere.

Wake Island: The Japanese easily wiped out the Allied units after bringing in reinforcements (one-third of 53rd Division plus a raiding regiment). This brings to an end the best-planned and executed invasion I've ever done, though it was missing a key ingredient, an experience which taught me an important lesson.

Daly Waters: The Allies took vacant Katherine. Brad is now using alot of Helens, which are having an effect, but I really like the fact that he is focusing some attention on NW Oz. The last enemy controlled hexside at Daly Waters was converted, so the IJA garrison is totally isolated.

Exmouth: The carriers remained stationary. The amphbious ships will leap-frog them tonight. They are about three days away from Exmouth. The picket ships continue to move north. I still have strong misgivings about how this operation is unfolding (seemingly very slow) and exposing my carriers in an operation that can be useful, but isn't really vital. I'm waiting to see how the pickets do as they take their final positions northwest of Exmouth. Then I'll send in the troop transprorts and a fairly small bombardment TF. If things still look okay, I'll move my carriers closer to Exmouth (they are intended to provide CAP against LBA posted at the big IJ bases at Port Headland and Corunna Downs).

kfsgo -> RE: The Conspirator (3/3/2011 5:31:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
The last enemy controlled hexside at Daly Waters was converted, so the IJA garrison is totally isolated.

Are you putting any LRCAP up over Daly? That'd at least tell you if anyone's flying out (or in).

Capt. Harlock -> RE: The Conspirator (3/3/2011 8:23:28 PM)

quote:

Calcutta: The Allies didn't quite achieve 1:1 odds, and the shock attack failed to take this base. I was quite surprised, and my army was rather disrupted afterwards. I have reinforcements arriving daily and will try again in about four days. But I wanted to take Calcutta so that I can being employing my troops elsewhere.

It looks like the India equivalent of the Battle of Nashville will have to take place on another day. But then, Nashville needed a second day for Thomas to truly defeat Hood.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Conspirator (3/3/2011 8:26:09 PM)

I don't have any fighters in Oz with legs long enough to fly LRCAP over Daly Waters. However, I am able to monitor AV through daly bombardments. Right now, Brad doesn't seem to be withdrawing troops. He certainly isn't adding any.

Canoerebel -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/4/2011 2:44:13 PM)

12/13/42

Calcutta: The Allied troops are recovering disruption nicely, plus reinforcements arrived bringing the AV to about 2200. I'll try another attack, this time deliberate, the day after tomorrow.

China: The Allies have done two probing attacks, separated by several months, in a forest NE of Sian. This hex is held by three well-dug-in IJA brigades. The Chinese have well over 3,000 AV, though supply is a bit under full. Yesterday's attack came off at 1:1, the troops are in good condition, and another unit (450 AV) arrived, so I'll try again tomorrow. I have no hope of major gains in China given supply, but if this attack succeeds it will threat the IJ flank up this way, resulting in some modest upheaval for awhile.

Daly Waters: Allied reinforcements should arrive in a week. Meanwhile, some 60 Helens bomb my units each turn.

Exmouth: D-Day is two or three days away with no signs of trouble. The pickets are well to the NW and W. A small bombardment TF goes in tonight (or tomorrow night if I've miscalucated). The transports are ahead of the carriers now. The carriers are NW of Geraldton, a level seven Allied airfield. Minesweepers and a second bombardment force are also closing in. Everything appears to be in order, and I'm not quite as nervous, though nervous I am.

SigInt: The Allies received a very encouraging SigInt report. 9/14th Div. is aboard a Maru bound for Port Moresby. This base is very lightly held by Japan with just two units at about 3k, and is close to large and growing larger Allied airfields. SigInt in the past few weeks has continued to show alot of IJ interest in the Pacific, with reports like this one and several others. Not that Brad is ignoring Sumatra and area. I've had reports of base forces headed to Sabang, with 48th Div. and 6th Guards at Singapore. The latter two may be heading somewhere else, or Brad may be using Singapore as a strategic reserve base. But while there is activity in and around Singapore, there is certainly more "weighty" activity in the Pacific, which is just what I want to see. The activity at Daly Waters and Exmouth should ramp up tensions in Australia, and I still feel pretty confident that Brad has a healthy concern in NoPac that I can reinforce. I don't KNOW that he isn't guessing Sumatra, but all signs thus far appear to be favorable that he doesn't.

IJA Divisions: In addition to the six recently destroyed in India, another is about to be destroyed at Calcutta. Brad gets the four extra divisions in Scenario Two, but nonethless, I would think the loss of a total of seven should dilute his defenses until he can rebuild them.

crsutton -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/4/2011 3:18:44 PM)

quote:

12/13/42

Calcutta: The Allied troops are recovering disruption nicely, plus reinforcements arrived bringing the AV to about 2200. I'll try another attack, this time deliberate, the day after tomorrow.

China: The Allies have done two probing attacks, separated by several months, in a forest NE of Sian. This hex is held by three well-dug-in IJA brigades. The Chinese have well over 3,000 AV, though supply is a bit under full. Yesterday's attack came off at 1:1, the troops are in good condition, and another unit (450 AV) arrived, so I'll try again tomorrow. I have no hope of major gains in China given supply, but if this attack succeeds it will threat the IJ flank up this way, resulting in some modest upheaval for awhile.

Daly Waters: Allied reinforcements should arrive in a week. Meanwhile, some 60 Helens bomb my units each turn.

Exmouth: D-Day is two or three days away with no signs of trouble. The pickets are well to the NW and W. A small bombardment TF goes in tonight (or tomorrow night if I've miscalucated). The transports are ahead of the carriers now. The carriers are NW of Geraldton, a level seven Allied airfield. Minesweepers and a second bombardment force are also closing in. Everything appears to be in order, and I'm not quite as nervous, though nervous I am.

SigInt: The Allies received a very encouraging SigInt report. 9/14th Div. is aboard a Maru bound for Port Moresby. This base is very lightly held by Japan with just two units at about 3k, and is close to large and growing larger Allied airfields. SigInt in the past few weeks has continued to show alot of IJ interest in the Pacific, with reports like this one and several others. Not that Brad is ignoring Sumatra and area. I've had reports of base forces headed to Sabang, with 48th Div. and 6th Guards at Singapore. The latter two may be heading somewhere else, or Brad may be using Singapore as a strategic reserve base. But while there is activity in and around Singapore, there is certainly more "weighty" activity in the Pacific, which is just what I want to see. The activity at Daly Waters and Exmouth should ramp up tensions in Australia, and I still feel pretty confident that Brad has a healthy concern in NoPac that I can reinforce. I don't KNOW that he isn't guessing Sumatra, but all signs thus far appear to be favorable that he doesn't.

IJA Divisions: In addition to the six recently destroyed in India, another is about to be destroyed at Calcutta. Brad gets the four extra divisions in Scenario Two, but nonethless, I would think the loss of a total of seven should dilute his defenses until he can rebuild them.

I just don't know the Japanese resource situation well enough in scen 2 but am guessing that the units can all be rebuilt in time. Manpower pools might be an issue for a while. But at least he will have to divert production to build some more devices as I am sure he has taken a hit there. It will be interesting to see if it this then forces him to produce fewer aircraft. Anyways, the units you killed were all elite. Any rebuit division is just going to be very average in experience. Given, the disparity between Allied firepower the weak firepower of a Japanese divsion the Japanese player need elite troops to have a chance anytime past 1943.

Canoerebel -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/5/2011 3:24:17 PM)

Q-Ball is due to send me a turn...

[image]local://upfiles/8143/AF0A81A20E5C48F18731C66C8822FFC6.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/5/2011 9:31:54 PM)

12/14/42

Canoe Cornelius must've gotten the job done, because Q-Ball sent a turn. The next turn will be one of the most important of the war....

Exmouth: D-Day is tomorrow. B-24s are to hit the big airfield at Corunna Downs. A CA/CL/DD bombardment force goes in followed by a smaller CL/DD bombardment force. A small minelayer TF goes in. Then the invasion force, which consists of two Aussie brigades and a CD unit. The carriers will take station three hexes to the south; fighters are set to 50% CAP; dive bombers are set to naval strike with ground strike alternate. The carrier strike is important for two reasons: (1) I'm not sure two Aussie brigades is sufficient to handle the Naval Guard defense; and (2) I want Brad to see my carriers in a big way. The latter objective can be debated, but I'm leaning towards the conclusion that he'd see them anyway, so they might as well lend a hand while they in the vicinity. Since my carriers haven't been seen since early in the war (I think), this is meant to add to the impression that the Allies are really focused on western and northwestern Oz. I REALLY hope that the KB doesn't show up tomorrow. The fact that Brad is still very desultory in flipping turns suggests to me that he isn't particularly "aroused" at the moment. This is "extra-game" intelligence that is pretty useful at times.

Daly Waters: Reinforcements are just two hexes out.

India: 2300 Allied AV will deliberate attack at Calcutta tomorrow. Come on guys!

China: The big Chinese force still couldn't dislodge the three IJA brigades in the woods NE of Sian. They'll try again tomorrow. Through shear weight of numbers I think the attack will succeed pretty soon.

Sumatra Invasion Forces: Three CVE (Sangamon, Suwanee, Copahee) arrived at Balboa and will make for Capetown. Many, many such moves have been going on since nearly the start of the game as I try to position forces for the Sumatra invasion. Other forces are being distributed to lend a hand with various feints. Some of the CVEs currently at Pearl will be reporting to NoPac, others to Oz.

Keeping Fingers Crossed: If Brad has outplayed me, tomorrow could be a day I'll regret for a long, long time. So it was with great trepidation that I sent the turn to him.

Cribtop -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/5/2011 11:23:17 PM)

Must... Stitch... Herniated... Ab muscles... Back together... Canoe Cornelius humor... Too powerful... Arrrrggghhhh...

Canoerebel -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/5/2011 11:33:09 PM)

[:D]

Capt. Harlock -> Waiting Game (3/6/2011 12:10:07 AM)

quote:

A small minelayer TF goes in.

Reuters, Dec. 15, 1942 --

A major operation failed when troop transports ran into a minefield which had been sown by friendly ships only minutes before. The commander of the minelayers was heard to say, "At least now we know the little buggers work!"[:D]

Canoerebel -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/6/2011 12:14:45 AM)

*ack* Yet another editing failure! Minesweepers! Minesweepers! Not -layers, -boilers, -friers, or -breasts.

Man, I hope I didn't jinx my invasion...

[:)]

Chickenboy -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/6/2011 12:41:15 AM)

quote:

*ack* Yet another editing failure! Minesweepers! Minesweepers! Not -layers, -boilers, -friers, or -breasts.

Man, I hope I didn't jinx my invasion...

[:)]

You forgot another 'r' in 'boilers', methinks. [:'(]

terje439 -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/6/2011 9:48:42 AM)

quote:

Three CVE (Sangamon, Suwanee, Copahee) arrived at Balboa and will make for Capetown.

Out of curiosity;
a) How will you use these ships?
b) What is the concensus among the players about how to use these ships?

Is it worth it to send the DBs to shore and use them as slow moving fighter platforms to support your invasion forces or is it best to use them as they are intended to be used, in replenishment TFs?

Terje

Canoerebel -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/7/2011 4:05:36 PM)

These are true "carriers" in the sense that they come equipped with squadrons meant to fly. I will use these to help cover the Sumatra invasion force.

As for the CVE's meant for replenishment, I generally offload the strike aircraft and use the carriers solely for CAP/escort purposes.

Under limited conditions I will use CVEs for replenishment, but most of the time I've found that replenishment isn't an issue in carrier battles. Before you could hope to replenish, the damage has been done, sorites are very limited, one side or the other has been viciously smacked down, and the battle is over. Thus, replenishment is a virtue in theory more than in fact. I'd rather have the 25 or so fighters assisting with CAP.

P.S. My opponent has once again disappeared into WitE land as he has begun his second match there. This is very frustrating, because he was available and online throughout the weekend, but was clearly uninterested in this game. So while he plays games to his heart's content, I'm at his mercy as he sends turns occasionally but only when it suits him.

Canoerebel -> RE: Bid Thee Return (3/8/2011 3:31:28 PM)

12/15/42

I've stated my case very plainly to Brad in an email sent this morning. We'll see if he elects to continue the game.

Exmouth: The Allied invasion is going well to this point. Two CA-led bombardment TFs hit the base, followed by 230 SBDs during the afternoon (TBFs also flew raids though every single one of them was set to "naval strike" only). The troops began landing during the PM. Only about 60 AV came ashore, but most should land tomorrow. The defense is a Naval Guard unit that should be pretty roughed up by bombardment and bombings. The Allied troops will deliberate attack tomorrow. About four SBD squadrons are set to strike again, with B-24s to hit the airfield. It appears that Brad has filled Exmouth's airfield with strike aircraft, and probably has done the same at Corunna Downs and Port Headland. I just hope the KB does'nt show up (no sign of it).

Calcutta: The Allies take this base by deliberate attack. This frees up 3,000 AV to report to duty elsewhere, including the troops slated for the invasions of North Male Island, Addu Atoll, and Diego Garcia. All of these units will take the rail to Mangalore. Most of the rest of the units will head to Chittagong for the campaign against Akyab. A few units will be pulling garrison duty and a few others will help in the camapign to take the Kolemo/Ledo line of bases.

China: My vast stack of units NE of Sian still can't vanquish three little well-dug-in IJA brigades. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm low on supply and attacking in forest, but 4,500 AV vs. about 350 should be THIS hard.

Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI