Random Map Generator Please (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy

DasTactic -> Random Map Generator Please (8/13/2010 10:41:28 PM)

Bought the game yesterday and I am enjoying the game-play. But a random map generator for this would be awesome.

I tend to play random maps over scripted maps - even though they aren't balanced - because it means you need to strategise your own objectives rather than have them scripted for you.

jomni -> RE: Random Map Generator Please (8/16/2010 2:57:27 AM)

But the AI is scripted to the particular map / scenario.

Maybe a good idea for multiplayer.

gijas17 -> RE: Random Map Generator Please (8/16/2010 5:53:51 PM)

I think its possible. Excluding the main campaign one would think that we could use the campaign maps included or new ones created by Slitherine/users then edit them by placing units and capture points on the maps. If you take the maps down to just the terrian and static objects that is with out the campaign scripting involved.

mkjhartmann -> RE: Random Map Generator Please (8/20/2010 3:29:40 AM)

I second the request for a random map generator.  This game is close enough to become the spiritual successor of Steel Panthers (with less detail but much improved interface and graphics) that the time required to add the random maps, combined with the community ability to create more units could spur substantial sales.  I see the post count is fairly low for what I considered to be the very finest tactical war game in many years.

These games can take on a life, and a financial success I suspect, that is unexpected, and adding the ability to have random battles against a semi competent AI would do wonders.  And a nice laddering system for MP I am sure would also help.

I really, really, really want this game to be a huge success, because it is such a great design.  Fun, apparently reasonably accurate (no I did not serve in the military, and don't care if the deflection angle armor flaking effect is simulated to the highest integrity), and certainly teaches the use of combined arms.

Kudos for a job very well done.  I hope Matrix can really pour some marketing assets into this one.

Mike

sabre1 -> RE: Random Map Generator Please (8/21/2010 3:54:52 AM)

I 3rd it.

rich12545 -> RE: Random Map Generator Please (8/21/2010 3:34:49 PM)

I think a random map generator along the lines of Combat Mission (cmx1) and a generic script would be great.  

davelogan69 -> Skirmish (9/19/2010 3:07:30 PM)

"...adding the ability to have random battles against a semi competent AI would do wonders" - mkjhartmann
EXACTLY! If this game had a skirmish mode against the AI it would be near perfect. Pick a map, pick a nation, then pick specific units or use a random army, and go. I'd love to see it and it would make the game for me.

diablo1 -> RE: Skirmish (9/21/2010 11:29:10 AM)

I will not buy a game anymore without some kind of randomness. I prefer random map generators as well as random battles and campaign ones.

NefariousKoel -> RE: Skirmish (9/21/2010 2:48:32 PM)

I would expect to see this as an expansion, if it's ever done.

That's how it went with FoG.

diablo1 -> RE: Skirmish (9/23/2010 1:29:54 PM)

Wish Panzer Command Osfront would hurry up and be released. At least it has random.

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: Skirmish (10/22/2010 1:23:57 AM)

1.4 includes two new skirmish maps. These maps have randomised enemy forces opposing you. The new editor plugins exposes this functionality in a simple UI - so creating more for yourself or to share takes literally minutes now.

Thought it might be of interest to this thread.

Cheers

Pip

diablo1 -> RE: Skirmish (11/16/2010 10:29:39 AM)

Randomized in what ways Pip? Can I select some sort of battle points per side and these maps create a random force by the amount of points I give it?

junk2drive -> RE: Skirmish (11/16/2010 11:29:11 AM)

You have to create a viable scenario first then you can give the AI a number of points to purchase random units.

Or take an existing scenario and replace the enemy with random units.

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: Skirmish (11/26/2010 2:15:48 AM)

You have pretty fine control over how it works. You can set up each AI team (up to 8 of them) with as many units as you like and then allocate a points value for the game to randomly purchase them from. This allows you to be sure that starting positions are sensible, and that you only have the possible units that you want to see on the field - but no idea as to which ones you will see any any given battle.

All this is done visually, so I'd recommend giving it a go :)

Cheers

Pip

junk2drive -> RE: Random Maps (5/26/2011 8:26:53 PM)

Over at Slitherine forums in the Modder section, two people are working on scripts for Random Maps. Screenshots too.

Both are including the new Carryover feature for Campaigns.

sabre1 -> RE: Random Maps (5/27/2011 4:12:37 AM)

[&o]^

junk2drive -> RE: Random Maps (6/5/2011 4:26:40 PM)

If you would like to try out one of the two random campaign projects, check this out

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=229472#229472

junk2drive -> RE: Random Maps (6/6/2011 1:49:52 PM)

bump

junk2drive -> RE: Random Maps (8/1/2011 3:29:22 AM)

You can download Amaris project now

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26053

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI