Brilliant Game! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy

kam99 -> Brilliant Game! (8/16/2010 6:42:30 PM)

I’m usually a lurker and seldom post. The number of Matrix/Slitherine titles I have bought over the years is well into double figures.

This is by far the most entertaining. It is a brilliant game that is far deeper than it first appears. It is a classic in the same mould as Steel Panthers and the original Combat Mission.

Thank you for this absolute gem!

[:)][&o]

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/16/2010 7:28:55 PM)

Glad you are enjoying the game! Be sure to try multiplayer - lots of games going on.

Cheers

Pip

Obsolete -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/17/2010 2:46:53 PM)

And I remember reading how no one wants to play A.S.L. anymore these days....

TheGreatRadish -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/17/2010 5:48:40 PM)

Yeah, I bought it too on Saturday and am really impressed.  If I had to apply one word to it, "fun" would be that word.  I'm really enthused by how open the modding possibilities seem to be, hopefully this title can build a strong community and we'll have hundreds of scenarios eventually - CMx1 style.

Give this game a random battle generator and it'll reach a whole other level. 

Erik Rutins -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/17/2010 9:01:22 PM)

Thanks guys, we agree and we hope the word gets around. I think this is a game that could pull in non-wargamers as well.

Alan Sharif -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/17/2010 9:01:25 PM)

I have to agree with the comments. Excellent title.

sabre1 -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/18/2010 2:27:51 AM)

Thanks for adding the Axis Special Operations scenarios.

noname -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/19/2010 8:38:29 PM)

Reading this forum sold me on the game. Went to make the purchase and found out that final cost including shipping was $58.84!!!! Wow, just too much for me. don't have broadband just modom dial up so the digital download would take too long and usually I get kicked off the internet before anything that long downloads anyway. Part of the problem is that they only use UPS which is much more expensive than the US postal service. Thanks for the info anyway.[:(]

smjex -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/19/2010 9:42:02 PM)

noname you can purchase it from NWS Online for $38.99 + $3.99 shipping.

noname -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/19/2010 10:39:22 PM)

Thank you smjex. going to nws right now. [:)]

e_barkmann -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/20/2010 12:49:19 AM)

just to add in my voice of approval, this is another fine effort from Slitherine and proving a lot of fun - thanks, I hope it gets the same attention as FOG in terms of development and add ons.

A request if I may - could you limit the sound samples to the historic sides in the scenario - desert rats sounding like Americans and Italians sounding like Germans reduces the immersion factor for me a bit.

cheers Chris

Adam Parker -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/20/2010 12:33:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Thanks guys, we agree and we hope the word gets around. I think this is a game that could pull in non-wargamers as well.

This is especially at Erik who knows I've been somewhat harsh on some titles I've bought here...

Dear Erik,

The sneaky German AI just launched a counterattack at me (won't say what scenario but it was in glorious Normandy) and with a truck, on the last turn, drove through an objective square and snatched victory from my hands in what has to have been one of the best war gaming experiences I've had on a PC.

This squad-level game is a true successor and massive improvement over the dear old pioneer, Steel Panthers - the first PC war game I ever bought (without even owning a PC)!

More so, with its elegance in design, AI, UI and art - its pulverises another dear old friend - HPS's Squad Battles into the last decade.

I've got my wallet open for whatever the next title in this series [;)] will be.

Like Steel Panthers I'd definitely like to see it go East Front. But hey! Why not go the route of Steel Panthers 2 and take this baby into the modern era? The Arab-Israeli Wars, Iraq, the Stans, a hypothetical Europe 1980's and Korea 20?? all beckon for this game, where abstraction and programming smarts mesh so well to provide a true feel of tactical command, in which armor may rule the battlefield but infantry rules the day.

Thank you to yourself, David, Matrix and Slitherine for giving me such amazing fun from a t title I didn't even know was in production and with a price point so comfortable that I'm already yielding dividends on the investment I've made after just one week.

Do spread the word! Seed Slitherine with development money! This game is a true winner.

Happy gaming,
Adam.

Adam Parker -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/20/2010 3:28:19 PM)

PS: And I still haven't read a word of the rules [:)]

Zakhal -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/20/2010 5:06:23 PM)

My poor credit card. It was suppose to have a break this week.

Adam Parker -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/21/2010 4:12:49 AM)

And yet another scenario where the game thankfully ended with me hanging on to victory by my fingertips [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/6105/67DDFBF96C67491E900702CF9F17D5FF.jpg[/image]

Sgt.Fury25 -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/21/2010 4:47:10 AM)

I just d/l it.Enjoying it very much great job guys.If support for some of the ideas for this game happens aka random maps and ability to play both sides against the computor among other things,this game ccould be a big hit!

Pford -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/21/2010 7:01:44 PM)

It's a fun little game, not at all shallow, but I think more of what it can be rather than what is now. The interface is so slick and user-friendly that it could easily accommodate a bit more groggy detailing without encumbering the player. But the developers are on the right track.

PipFromSlitherine -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/21/2010 7:29:56 PM)

It's certainly moddable to add vast amounts of more groggy details. It's one of the first things I expect to see as people get more comfortable with all the way there are to customise the game.

Cheers

Pip

PunkReaper -> RE: Brilliant Game! (8/25/2010 10:22:37 AM)

Got this game on a whim and I have been really enjoying it. It is certainly tense trying to hang on to victory when those panzers rush in.

Matto -> RE: Brilliant Game! (9/3/2010 2:17:30 PM)

I bought it yesterday and must say, that I'm really satisfied by this game ... I'm playing JT Campaign Series many many years and for all Battlefield Academy is similar, I really enjoy it. It is fun, little bit easier ...
I would be happy to see some map / battle generator and possibility play Axis Campaigns ... but now it is good game too !

So thanks for your work, well done !

Nomowhale -> RE: Brilliant Game! (11/27/2010 3:33:50 AM)

I picked this game up after reading some positive posts in the forum and I am pleasantly blown away. You have to love a game that you can pick up intuitively without reading 100 pages of rules. I am a long time Squad Battles and Close Combat player so I have seen my share of tactical games. BA is a tactical gem. It is fast paced and intense. The AI is pretty challenging. It is one of the games that keeps you up until all hours of the night. I hope we see more development of this game. Great work.

Larry

IainMcNeil -> RE: Brilliant Game! (11/28/2010 9:33:45 AM)

Thanks! Now go tell all your friends about it and meet them online as the PBEM system is really really good :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI