RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

witpqs -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 8:28:52 AM)

Oh I think the movie clearly fictionalized it to represent the larger internments in California. It was funny that they had her being OK in California but interned in Hawaii after traveling home, when IRL the chances were far greater for it to be the other way around! But the movie story had no way for the visitations to take place in California, so they made it Hawaii.

CaptBeefheart -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 9:06:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Oh I think the movie clearly fictionalized it to represent the larger internments in California. It was funny that they had her being OK in California but interned in Hawaii after traveling home, when IRL the chances were far greater for it to be the other way around! But the movie story had no way for the visitations to take place in California, so they made it Hawaii.

Your memory of that movie is a lot better than mine. Still, it was a great movie to a guy in junior high when it came to the big screen, continuous footage of the same Hellcat cartwheeling in the ocean notwithstanding.

Cheers,
CC

Panther Bait -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 2:10:54 PM)

How's about this plot line for adding a little ahistorical romance to the story.

Pilot Rafe, an American, leaves his new fiancee, Kate, and enlists in the RN and serves aboard the Ark Royal. Involved in the Bismarck hunt, he drops the torpedo that the Bismarck is avoiding when it hits the fateful rudder-damaging torp. He is on the Ark Royal in November 1941 when she is sunk and feared lost at sea. His fiancee eventually marries another man, a new cadet in the USN, bombadier Squinty.

Pilot Rafe is eventually discovered in Morrocco during the Operation Torch landings having been captured by the French. He eventually makes his way stateside and into the USN. He tries to reconnect with Kate but she explains that she is married now. He never meets her husband.

Fast forward to May 1942. Rafe and Squinty are crewman together on Saratoga. After the Battle of the Coral Sea, they are among the crews transferred to Yorktown. Thinking there is no way that Yorktown can leave for at least a week. Squinty sneaks his wife on board for some conjugal visiting. They are caught sleeping in the parachute room by a horrified Rafe, who maliciously doesn't tell Squinty that the ship is setting sail now. Kate is stuck on board, but Rafe has a change of heart and helps Squinty hide her on board.

The day of the battle approaches and the truth comes out with much fighting between Rafe and Squinty. Kate, concerned that the mission will go badly with them fighting, sneaks on board their TBD only to be found after launch. A fight ensues, but they decide to press on anyways with Kate sitting in the gunner's seat (the real gunner was too sick to fly, but Rafe/Squinty were too patriotic not to fly the mission and rigged up a dummy so they could launch). The fight does cause them to fall out of formation though, but they press on alone.

As they reach the Japanese fleet, they are too late to join the overall torpedo attack (probably a good thing), but their late appearance does draw down the entire 40 Zeroes on CAP (freeing up the dive bombers to attack unmolested naturally). Kate valiantly fends off the Zeros (downing 7), Rafe courageously flies straight in level and low, and Squinty bravely lies in the bombadier position waiting until the last second to launch his torpedo. It hits but it's effects are lost in the general bombing attack and goes unreported.

The TBD is badly damaged, Rafe volunteers to climb to a safe altitude to allow Kate and Squinty to bail out (he gives his parachute to Kate naturally). They bail out, and Rafe manages to steer his badly damaged TBD to a suicide run on the Akagi, which does her in.

Kate and Squinty land among the wreckage of the Japanese fleet, and when it seems safe they inflate their amazingly spacious emergency life raft. As night falls and they fear for the worst, they make love by firelight (i.e. burning bunker oil). In the morning as the raft begins to deflate and the sharks begin circling, all appears lost until a majestic PBY floats down to save the lovers. The PBY crewman's face lights up in pleasant shock as a still naked Kate (covered with a parachute unfortunately) pops up over the side of the raft.

The End.

Mike

Nemo121 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 2:14:44 PM)

Canoerebel,

Put Kelly's Heroes down, back away carefully and we'll forget this ever happened [:D]

quote:

It's a mother beautiful bridge and it is going to be there.

quote:

I don't need you, a 60ft bridge I can pick up almost anywhere
[:D] [:D]

quote:

We haven't even captured that place yet..... Yeah. so I heard but everyone seems really friendly.

quote:

When we fire it.... it makes pretty pictures. Scares the hell out of them.

Ah they just don't make psychedelic movies like that anymore.

RUDOLF -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 2:21:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

My only hope for something decent is that one of the writers for The Pacific is supposedly involved.

Well, the "The Pacific" was biased as hell, why would you want another "Saving Private Ryan, Pacific, Band of Brothers" kind of series?

Nemo121 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 2:32:46 PM)

quote:

You're the communications officer ain't you? You're supposed to be able to communicate.

quote:

The general was just on the phone telling me we've broken through along the whole front. Why wasn't I informed?

quote:

Its pretty hard to pick them up this early in the morning. Its got something to do with the ionosphere..... Well get the ionosphere the hell off the air and get them on.

and the best one ever.
quote:

Have you ever heard enthusiasm like that in all your life? They've even got the damned grave diggers along.

warspite1 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 2:39:55 PM)

quote:

How's about this plot line for adding a little ahistorical romance to the story.

Pilot Rafe, an American, leaves his new fiancee, Kate, and enlists in the RN and serves aboard the Ark Royal. Involved in the Bismarck hunt, he drops the torpedo that the Bismarck is avoiding when it hits the fateful rudder-damaging torp. He is on the Ark Royal in November 1941 when she is sunk and feared lost at sea. His fiancee eventually marries another man, a new cadet in the USN, bombadier Squinty.

Pilot Rafe is eventually discovered in Morrocco during the Operation Torch landings having been captured by the French. He eventually makes his way stateside and into the USN. He tries to reconnect with Kate but she explains that she is married now. He never meets her husband.

Fast forward to May 1942. Rafe and Squinty are crewman together on Saratoga. After the Battle of the Coral Sea, they are among the crews transferred to Yorktown. Thinking there is no way that Yorktown can leave for at least a week. Squinty sneaks his wife on board for some conjugal visiting. They are caught sleeping in the parachute room by a horrified Rafe, who maliciously doesn't tell Squinty that the ship is setting sail now. Kate is stuck on board, but Rafe has a change of heart and helps Squinty hide her on board.

The day of the battle approaches and the truth comes out with much fighting between Rafe and Squinty. Kate, concerned that the mission will go badly with them fighting, sneaks on board their TBD only to be found after launch. A fight ensues, but they decide to press on anyways with Kate sitting in the gunner's seat (the real gunner was too sick to fly, but Rafe/Squinty were too patriotic not to fly the mission and rigged up a dummy so they could launch). The fight does cause them to fall out of formation though, but they press on alone.

As they reach the Japanese fleet, they are too late to join the overall torpedo attack (probably a good thing), but their late appearance does draw down the entire 40 Zeroes on CAP (freeing up the dive bombers to attack unmolested naturally). Kate valiantly fends off the Zeros (downing 7), Rafe courageously flies straight in level and low, and Squinty bravely lies in the bombadier position waiting until the last second to launch his torpedo. It hits but it's effects are lost in the general bombing attack and goes unreported.

The TBD is badly damaged, Rafe volunteers to climb to a safe altitude to allow Kate and Squinty to bail out (he gives his parachute to Kate naturally). They bail out, and Rafe manages to steer his badly damaged TBD to a suicide run on the Akagi, which does her in.

Kate and Squinty land among the wreckage of the Japanese fleet, and when it seems safe they inflate their amazingly spacious emergency life raft. As night falls and they fear for the worst, they make love by firelight (i.e. burning bunker oil). In the morning as the raft begins to deflate and the sharks begin circling, all appears lost until a majestic PBY floats down to save the lovers. The PBY crewman's face lights up in pleasant shock as a still naked Kate (covered with a parachute unfortunately) pops up over the side of the raft.

The End.

Mike
Warspite1

You may have a chronology problem vis a vis Operation Torch (November 1942) coming before Coral Sea (May 1942), Midway (June 1942) etc.....On second thoughts though, given that Hollywood would have the world believe the dross that was U-571 - maybe this is unimportant?

Panther Bait -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 3:03:37 PM)

Director: Details, details! Everyone is bugging me with historical details! Make it a daring commando raid on North Africa then. Or maybe he drifted eastwards to Tobruk. Were the Brits fighting there in Nov 1941?

Mike

cantona2 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 3:16:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

Any rumors about Ben Affleck? He would be perfect Raymond Spruance.

Or maybe someone else, but he must be part of the film!

You'd have to 'get him into a damn plane' very quick in order for him to be able to sink all four Jap carriers on hi ownn

warspite1 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 3:17:56 PM)

quote:

Director: Details, details! Everyone is bugging me with historical details!

Warspite1

[:D]

Re Tobruk - like it!!

We can learn how Pilot Rafe was responsible for the successful defence of Tobruk. I thought it was a hard fought victory by the Aussies, Poles and British, but we can now learn it was one pilot's heroic exploits that really won the day! It HAS to be Ben Affleck [;)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 5:13:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Well, the original had the politically correct internment sideplot, when Japanese descendants in Hawaii in real life were never actually interned in WWII (it was strictly a mainland thing). So, the question becomes how could Hollywood top that? Show Nagumo as being a sensitive, caring calligraphy master with a gaijin mistress back home who is interned as well?

The concept of PC hadn't been coined when "Midway" was made. (Also, every cast member under 30 had a non-regulation haircut.) I think the Japanese girlfriend subplot had a lot more to do with post-Vietnam US introspection.

The story-telling problem with historical movies is that the history is iron-bound in macro terms. Midway = huge US win. Pearl Harbor = huge steaming pile of US loss. The general audience knows this, at least about these two events. (Not so much Leyte.) So, if Midway has to follow history, and it's fiction and thus must have conflict, or, said another way, something at stake, how does a poor screenwritter handle that? Same way as Shakespeare did. Introduce family strife. To anyone who has read The Bard, either Heston or his son was toast the moment both walked on stage. Just as either Affleck or the other guy was; we just didn't know which one. That movie could have gone either way, which is why I give it a C- and not an F.

But Midway is "easier" to write because it has a triumphant end. Yes, people will die, and you'll know some of them well when they do. That's drama. But with Midway the creators can send the audience home happy, and they'lll tell their friends. The creators of "Pearl Harbor" felt they had to add that abortion of a Doolittle Raid because if they'd ended with smoke and death and destruction at Pearl Harbor--you know, history---they'd have torqued off their US audience, especially the female portion who got an aborted love arc AND death and destruction with no redemption. Pearl Harbor is prehaps the most difficult modern US wartime subject matter. To volunteer to make a movie of it is . . . odd, from a moviemaker's career standpoint.

Leyte is hard too, for different reasons. It recalls that classic movie "Bambi vs. Godzilla." No matter how you portray Taffy 3, the Japanese were going to get creamed. There's no doubt of that, and that's hard to do from a storytelling POV. What every fiction writer wants is a fair fight between credible opponents. That's one reason the technothriller genre in novels fell on hard times after the USSR fell apart. The might of the USA vs. Colombian drug cartels is Bambi Vs. the lizard.

Leyte could be written in a "The Pacific" manner. focusing on a few, tight character arcs, and showing the battle through their very narrow, local lens, but I doubt that would satisfy many of this forum's denizens. They want a god's-eye POV of maneuvering fleets and grand strategy, and that just isn't what Hollywood is good at. Or what modern audiences will pay for.

Final comments on "Midway". I looked around the Web and learned that there was a TV version made, split into two nights, for whcih about 30 minutes of new footage was shot. The goal? To give HESTON a girlfriend, much younger and very pretty, to explain why he divorced the mother of his difficult son. So, two romantic arcs. Also, I learned that Yamamoto's voice dubbing was done by Mr. Paul Frees. Yes, the voice of Boris Badanov!!!! He's everywhere!!! He's everywhere!!!![:)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 5:15:38 PM)

quote:

There were internments in Hawaii, about 1200. At Sand Island. Most of them had been moved to the mainland by summer of 1942. These internemnts were for significant security risks, not simply Japanese ancestry. In the movie, the girlfriend's father had visited the Japanese consulate many times, and subscribed to Japanese patriotic magazines. A bit thin, but enough to pass the historical smell test.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 5:17:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody
Your memory of that movie is a lot better than mine. Still, it was a great movie to a guy in junior high when it came to the big screen, continuous footage of the same Hellcat cartwheeling in the ocean notwithstanding.

I saw the movie in high school, in a real Sensurround-equipped theater. Also saw "Earthquake" there, also staring Mr. Heston. I read that only four Sensurround movies were ever made, so I'm 2-for-4.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 5:20:00 PM)

quote:

Fast forward to May 1942.

He's got a Wayback Machine? No. Only Mr. Peabody has a Wayback Machine.[:)]

Joe D. -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 5:27:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Question, hypothetical, one....why has no one ever made a movie about the battles in The Slot ...

At least one such battle was incorporated -- for lack of a better word -- in a movie abt Adm Halsey called "The Gallant Hours"; it starred Jimmy Cagney in the title role.

There wasn't a lot of on-screen action, but IMO it was a thoughtful, well-made flic.

Canoerebel -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 5:41:43 PM)

Poor Chuck Heston. Good guy; some decent movies; but plagued by roles in some of the worst movies known to man. Omega Man, anybody?

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 5:50:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Poor Chuck Heston. Good guy; some decent movies; but plagued by roles in some of the worst movies known to man. Omega Man, anybody?

Seen it, unfortunatley. Will Smith did it slightly better in "I Am Legend."

OTOH, a whole career can be rehabilitated with just one "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"[:)]

John 3rd -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 5:58:25 PM)

...as opposed to the terrible "damned dirty human!"

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 6:06:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

...as opposed to the terrible "damned dirty human!"

No, not the same shock factor.[;)]

"Planet" was the very first time I was stunned by a movie. I was 11-YO, watching it in the balcony of the NAS Oceana theater. Admission was $.25 (up from pre-1968's dime in those draft-era sailor's payscale days.) When that final scene came on I literally stood up and leaned over the railing with my mouth hanging open. My mother had to drag me back into my seat. I had no idea. None. The only other movie moment that comes close is the ending of "The Sting."

Canoerebel -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 6:17:32 PM)

Bullwinkle, I was the same way: just totally, completely shocked. That's an unforgettable moment.

John 3rd -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 7:35:19 PM)

Concur. My wife had never watched the original and was shocked with the revelation at the end. This is partially why she then became SOOOOOOO angry with the new version. Leave the classics be!!!

morganbj -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 7:42:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

quote:

I've started to hear rumors that Warner Bros. is thinking about making a new Battle of Midway movie. I'm feeling a few butterflys in my stomach, but I'm not sure if those are the beginnings of fanboy excitement or nausea at how badly Hollyweird could screw this up.

My only hope for something decent is that one of the writers for The Pacific is supposedly involved.

My chief dread is that they are already boasting about it being in 3D.

Mike

P.S. Instead of retreading Midway, why couldn't they try something new, like Leyte Gulf.

Knowing Hollywood, it will probably be a story about 2 young Ensigns who were boyhood friend and both falling in love with a Japanese girl who was put into an internment camp. One night the Ensigns realized that they were more then just "friends". The movie will have 1-1/2 hours about how the Ensigns deal with their personal issues, 15 minutes explaining the significants of "Midway", and 30 minutes of things blowing up.

Yeah. It'll be titled "Broke Back Bunk."

witpqs -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 9:27:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

Question, hypothetical, one....why has no one ever made a movie about the battles in The Slot ...

At least one such battle was incorporated -- for lack of a better word -- in a movie abt Adm Halsey called "The Gallant Hours"; it starred Jimmy Cagney in the title role.

There wasn't a lot of on-screen action, but IMO it was a thoughtful, well-made flic.

I was lucky enough to see that movie 2 or 3 years ago. Excellent.

And the coverage of 1st Guadalcanal that you refer to was the best off-screen portrayal of a battle I have ever seen. The two admirals - killed within 48 hrs - meeting with Halsey prior to leaving for battle (probably a theatrical device but it worked in spades). Halsey's tortured sleep during the battle to the sound (for the audience) of one or more talkers giving a vague and desperate account of the battle. Superbly done.

Any of you who have not seen it are missing a great one that you will appreciate on many levels.

Panther Bait -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (8/31/2010 9:46:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Fast forward to May 1942.

He's got a Wayback Machine? No. Only Mr. Peabody has a Wayback Machine.[:)]

I've been reading "An Army at Dawn" lately, so I had Torch on the brain. Another example of the golden rule of internet forums - Never post before your first cup of coffee (or other caffeinated drink of choice). [sm=dizzy.gif]

Mike

spence -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (9/1/2010 12:15:24 AM)

As someone with a reasonably decent understanding of the Battle of Midway in the mid-70s when they made the movie I have to say that I was glad someone took the time but it sure seemed they mucked it up with that love interest. I guess that they needed it to lure in the "other half" (but mine didn't bother; she figured it was a man flick).

I think one reason that "A real Friday the 13th", the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal might make it is that nobody knows all that much about how we won the war...that particular moment in time was when the Japanese strategy of making the war too hard to win had the greatest chance of success. The two sides were locked in a life or death struggle for the island. They'd fought over it for 3+ months and the losses to each had been heavy. Both sides were attempting to reinforce and were basically committing their last reserves. With an appropriate (group of) lead in scenes one could set the stage for a major confrontation where the collective memory is pretty hazy and possibly generate a good deal of interest. And you could have a survivor drifting around Ironbottom Sound while dreaming of Kate Blanchette to boot.

JWE -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (9/1/2010 12:37:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled
Knowing Hollywood, it will probably be a story about 2 young Ensigns who were boyhood friend and both falling in love with a Japanese girl who was put into an internment camp. One night the Ensigns realized that they were more then just "friends". The movie will have 1-1/2 hours about how the Ensigns deal with their personal issues, 15 minutes explaining the significants of "Midway", and 30 minutes of things blowing up.

Sonds like my take on things. Just been watching Josie Wales and every now and then Clint hocks a chaw lugie at Stand Watie's dog. Now, ok, it's a movie, but when Josie gets it in the end, I wouldn'ta minded a 5 second cut away so the dog could have lifted his leg on Bro Clint; you know, canine rights and all that.

noguaranteeofsanity -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (9/1/2010 12:41:27 AM)

quote:

The story-telling problem with historical movies is that the history is iron-bound in macro terms. Midway = huge US win. Pearl Harbor = huge steaming pile of US loss. The general audience knows this, at least about these two events. (Not so much Leyte.) So, if Midway has to follow history, and it's fiction and thus must have conflict, or, said another way, something at stake, how does a poor screenwritter handle that? Same way as Shakespeare did. Introduce family strife. To anyone who has read The Bard, either Heston or his son was toast the moment both walked on stage. Just as either Affleck or the other guy was; we just didn't know which one. That movie could have gone either way, which is why I give it a C- and not an F.

But Midway is "easier" to write because it has a triumphant end. Yes, people will die, and you'll know some of them well when they do. That's drama. But with Midway the creators can send the audience home happy, and they'lll tell their friends. The creators of "Pearl Harbor" felt they had to add that abortion of a Doolittle Raid because if they'd ended with smoke and death and destruction at Pearl Harbor--you know, history---they'd have torqued off their US audience, especially the female portion who got an aborted love arc AND death and destruction with no redemption. Pearl Harbor is prehaps the most difficult modern US wartime subject matter. To volunteer to make a movie of it is . . . odd, from a moviemaker's career standpoint.

Leyte is hard too, for different reasons. It recalls that classic movie "Bambi vs. Godzilla." No matter how you portray Taffy 3, the Japanese were going to get creamed. There's no doubt of that, and that's hard to do from a storytelling POV. What every fiction writer wants is a fair fight between credible opponents. That's one reason the technothriller genre in novels fell on hard times after the USSR fell apart. The might of the USA vs. Colombian drug cartels is Bambi Vs. the lizard.

Leyte could be written in a "The Pacific" manner. focusing on a few, tight character arcs, and showing the battle through their very narrow, local lens, but I doubt that would satisfy many of this forum's denizens. They want a god's-eye POV of maneuvering fleets and grand strategy, and that just isn't what Hollywood is good at. Or what modern audiences will pay for.

Agree. It is probably related to the recent war on terror as well, which doesn't allow for big, epic battles or stories with a triumphant end that has 'good' defeat 'evil', like you can portray in WW2 films. The studios would be looking to make wartime films, in part to uplift or give the American audience hope, but a war on terror story would revolve around religion, politics and threats to civilians, which too often than not, would only reinforce the audiences fears and be too sensitive a subject. Hollywood generally goes into propaganda mode whenever America is at war and would help explain why the original Midway film was made in 1976, despite the Vietnam War having just come to an end, as it provides a story of American redemption, triumph and an obvious victory during wartime.

Joe D. -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (9/1/2010 2:36:08 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

I was lucky enough to see that movie 2 or 3 years ago. Excellent.

And the coverage of 1st Guadalcanal that you refer to was the best off-screen portrayal of a battle I have ever seen ...

Yes, it was the best movie battle we've never seen!

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (9/1/2010 3:58:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

Hollywood generally goes into propaganda mode whenever America is at war and would help explain why the original Midway film was made in 1976, despite the Vietnam War having just come to an end, as it provides a story of American redemption, triumph and an obvious victory during wartime.

Looking around the Web today I found a reviewer's words about "Midway", to the effect that it was the last of the great triumphalist American war movies.

What came next? "The Deer Hunter" and "Apocalypse Now", then in the next decade "Platoon." "Midway" was the end of an era.

jomni -> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie (9/1/2010 3:59:46 AM)

quote:

the great triumphalist American war movies.

Does Starship Troopers count?

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI