Recon planes and units (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris

GlobalExplorer -> Recon planes and units (9/8/2010 3:21:21 PM)

This element is somewhat absent. Wouldn't it make sense to conduct recon flights with Fieseler Storch, Me108, Do17, etc or send scouts in Kübelwagen?

Spechtmeise -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/8/2010 3:27:36 PM)

AFAIK the recon element is not absent. You can task any air unit to conduct a recon mission.

kirkgregerson -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/8/2010 3:29:15 PM)

Is it just me or does the German Luftwaffe have no recon planes in Case Yellow? They had them in Case White.

[:(]

Barthheart -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/8/2010 4:17:19 PM)

Yeah they're not there. Use the air units marked with an "F". These are fighter units and can do really good recon as well as fighter sweeps.

WilliePete -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/8/2010 8:43:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GlobalExplorer

This element is somewhat absent. Wouldn't it make sense to conduct recon flights with Fieseler Storch, Me108, Do17, etc or send scouts in Kübelwagen?

the game does model reconnaissance a little by letting you know some information about an enemy unit when you move near its ZOC. However, I'd still like to see a new "recon" unit made for the game, or at least in future releases. I like to save my air assets for combat missions, so when I need to recon ahead of my main force I use an engineer unit. They are highly mobile and can recon ahead and find out where the enemy is, then I pull it back. It would be nice to have a "true" reconnaissance unit though. It can be battalion in size(1000 men), similar to the current Flak unit, but highly mobile. It can made up of motorcycles and scout type vehicles. The Germans had Kubelwagens, motorcyles and various types of scout cars like the Puma,ect. I think small recon units would be a nice addition, an add another layer of strategy to the game.

GlobalExplorer -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/8/2010 8:51:20 PM)

Or just add one or two recon planes like the Fieseler Storch, I don't think that this would be a lot of effort.

WilliePete -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/8/2010 9:13:21 PM)

no doubt, each scenario should have air assets dedicated to just reconnaissance. Regardless, I still would love to see ground recon units. They can be very useful like running far ahead of the main body to capture and hold bridges so the enemy doesn't blow them. They can help to cut off and encircle retreating enemy units. Screen the advance of your units and see what's 2-4 hexes ahead, ect. They would add another dimension to the game.

Josh -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/8/2010 9:21:44 PM)

Uh, for what it's worth, I agree with both of WilliePete's posts. Some recon units in the game would be a very nice addition, and I love the Fieseler Storch.

[img]http://www.piteraq.dk/flight/images/ms7502.jpg[/img]

D.Ilse -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/8/2010 11:29:57 PM)

Hs 126 is the recon aircraft, the Fi 165 is more of a liaison and officer transport, along with the Bf 108B, the Do 215B-4 is the long range recce for 1940(planned export version of the Do17)..not saying the Fi wasn't used for Recce and Arty sporting, but at the time the Henschel was the designated aircraft.

GlobalExplorer -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/9/2010 12:39:39 AM)

I can come up of at least 4 planes that I think were used a lot for reconnaissance:

Dornier Do 17
Henschel Hs 126
Fieseler Storch
Focke-Wulf Fw 189

others may have been used ..

Me108
Ju52
Fw200 Condor
Heinkel 59?

Just as another example what existed, a photo of the german rescue seaplane:

[image]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rqH4fUbko2U/TEHsqEb7VVI/AAAAAAAARLY/Us_r6GzgyEA/s400/Heinkel+59.jpg[/image]

I know during BoB Do 17s were a lot used as recon planes, and it would be perfectly enough if every scenario had some Do17s for reconnaissance. All other planes would be icing on the cake.

The Fieseler Storch was the first plane that came to my mind. It may have been used mostly for tactical reconnaissance, so (yet another idea) couldn't it also be attached to Divisions / HQ and give a general reconnaissance bonus?

The Allies certainly had their recon own planes, but atm I don't know which.

D.Ilse -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/9/2010 12:57:41 AM)

Dornier Do 17, not the 17 as much as the 215
Henschel Hs 126
Fieseler Storch
Focke-Wulf Fw 189 Not in the timeframe of the game..1939

others may have been used ..

Me108 Not really it's a liason plane
Ju52 Not really again..not the intended role.
Fw200 Condor At the time, it was more of transport, with the Ausf.A than maritime and WAS not battlefield Recce
Heinkel 59? Maritime sea rescue, also it was being phased out by the time, although it did see continue use with Finland and the LW/KM in the Baltic along with the Ar 95 Seeplane.

GlobalExplorer -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/9/2010 1:00:50 AM)

nothing to add [:)]

GlobalExplorer -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/9/2010 1:11:27 AM)

Has someone here played Ageods American Civil War? A nice idea there was attachments like signal units, medical units or balloons, which could theoretically appear in all stacks, but was mostly attached to Army and Corps HQs. If one would apply this idea to WWII, planes like the Fi156 could appear as a possible attachments to HQs and Divisions, which give reconnaissance boni to all the attached stacks.

D.Ilse -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/9/2010 1:26:51 AM)

http://www.amazon.com/Aufklarer-One-Luftwaffe-Reconnaissance-1935-1941/dp/1857802683/ref=pd_sim_b_19

that would help in deciding what was and was not used as Aufklär. Aircraft in the early years

This latest two-part work provides a study of another significant arm of the Luftwaffe, the Aufklarungsflieger or reconnaissance units. Although such operations are sometimes erroneously perceived as being of secondary importance due to their lack of offensive function, the Luftwaffe was very advanced in understanding the benefits of reconnaissance. In fact no single arm of the Luftwaffe operated at such a wide number of aircraft types and many of the operations conducted by the Aufklarungsflieger units were of vital importance.

This first volume will cover the aircraft and operations of the reconnaissance units from their origins in clandestine survey and photographic work over Poland and the United Kingdom in the late 1930s through to their first operational use during the Spanish Civil War. They were active in the skies across Europe, from Poland in the east to Britain in the west. They also played their part in the invasions of the Balkans and Russia.

On the Russian and Mediterranean fronts, short-range reconnaissance usually involved low-level missions over enemy territory using the Fieseler Fi156 Storch and Hs126 biplanes, though Bf109s and Fw190s were also employed on such activities. Also included in this book will be an overview of the related "Wekusta" or weather reconnaissance units, responsible for the collection of meteorological data where, because of the proximity of the enemy, normal land-based observation was not available. These units were assigned directly to the Meteorological Service of the Luftwaffe High Command and were considered very valuable assets.

http://www.amazon.com/Luftwaffe-Support-Units-Aircraft-Markings/dp/1906537046/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Before the war and during it, the Luftwaffe used, or adapted, virtually every one of its major front line aircraft type for all manner of essential support roles, be it within the ambulance, communications, headquarters or observer services. It also operated types dedicated to the support role. For Luftwaffe enthusiasts and modellers, the main interest in such aircraft lies in the wide variety of types, and the abundance of camouflage and markings suited to specific theatres, factory and field modifications, and lesser-known emblems. This book includes, for example, all-white Ju 52 ambulance aircraft, the famous Fieseler Storch observation aircraft in both desert schemes as well as winter schemes with skis etc, together with many lesser known types including helicopters. Serious Luftwaffe enthusiasts will find a wealth of detail about some of the more familiar types and some rarities which will be of particular interest. A selection of types featured include: Bucker Bu 181 Bestmann, Fieseler Fi 156 Storch, Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri helicopter, Focke-Wulf Fw 58 Weihe, Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor, Heinkel He 46, Heinkel He 111, Henschel Hs 126, Junkers Ju 52, Junkers Ju 88, Messerschmitt Bf 109 and Siebel Si 204.

TAIL GUNNER -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/9/2010 2:19:02 AM)

quote:

the game does model reconnaissance a little by letting you know some information about an enemy unit when you move near its ZOC. However, I'd still like to see a new "recon" unit made for the game, or at least in future releases. I like to save my air assets for combat missions, so when I need to recon ahead of my main force I use an engineer unit. They are highly mobile and can recon ahead and find out where the enemy is, then I pull it back. It would be nice to have a "true" reconnaissance unit though. It can be battalion in size(1000 men), similar to the current Flak unit, but highly mobile. It can made up of motorcycles and scout type vehicles. The Germans had Kubelwagens, motorcyles and various types of scout cars like the Puma,ect. I think small recon units would be a nice addition, an add another layer of strategy to the game

I'd also like to see seperate recon battalions.....right now all armored cars are stuck babysitting the lowly motorised infantry....[:o]

D.Ilse -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/9/2010 10:18:09 AM)

one more I need to look up is the Heinkel He 70 which was a Aufklar. Used in Spain and flown by pre-war LW units, as well as a mail transport(too small to be a civilian airliner IIRC)..but it might have been used in Poland

and OF course for Aufklarer. planes I forgot the Ju 86P High Alt. Photo Recon.

To me a Recon plane means it has to have camera installed for photo recon(normally at the cost of offensive weapons). If it's a human observer using his eyes, and writing down what he sees or calling it on wireless that's an Observation plane. But that how I myself make the cut between the two categories. it's really a crowbar seperation.

Josh -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/9/2010 2:35:34 PM)

I'm afraid we come up faster with nice ideas and "would like to have as an addition" then Vic might be able to implement them in the game. [:)]

GlobalExplorer -> RE: Recon planes and units (9/9/2010 5:20:36 PM)

faster than he might be able to read them .. But it is a good thing, for it shows how much we want to play the game.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI