RE: A few newbie questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/8/2011 4:52:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

PS: against the AI its maybe a bit unfair because it exposes their convoys too much, but against a human its absolutely ok
as he should now about how dangerous they are.

Is perhaps where I made a mistake is to build up the skill nav b rather than low nav b with some level bombing squadrons?

I'm beginning to think that regular nav bombing is great for dive bombers and torpedo bombers (when they aren't using torpedos), but level bombers can't hit squat from 6,000+ feet.

LoBaron -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/8/2011 5:08:41 AM)

Like Alfred hinted, NavB is more effectively used on DB/TB than of MB.
LowN is the most effective way for multi engines to attack naval targets (when excluding the torp carrying ronson lighters).

As a Japanese player I would only venture in the range of those when I got heavy AAA or very good fighter cover.

fljaweiu -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/12/2011 5:31:45 AM)

When playing in manager mode in the CL and on by the groups, nothing changes. We can only see one group.

BigDuke66 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/12/2011 7:59:46 AM)

Question:
Are the routes you can choose(Normal, Safer, Safest, Direct) constantly updated?
I mean if the TFs is under way and a new air threat is located that gives trouble to the TFs route will it change the route instantly?

inqistor -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/12/2011 8:19:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Question:
Are the routes you can choose(Normal, Safer, Safest, Direct) constantly updated?
I mean if the TFs is under way and a new air threat is located that gives trouble to the TFs route will it change the route instantly?

They surely can change course at the end of day, so probably also during AM phase.
But risk evaluation could be questionable. I have seen ships from Hong Kong return there in mid-way, instead go to Borneo. So in fact, they were "retreating" toward heavier air threat.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/12/2011 3:42:47 PM)

I know that this has been posted before, but now I can't find the info in the manual or on the forum...

How do you get your float planes to spot for a bombardment task force?

USSAmerica -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/12/2011 3:56:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

I know that this has been posted before, but now I can't find the info in the manual or on the forum...

Set them on Recon, with no target.

Chickenboy -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/12/2011 4:32:08 PM)

quote:

If your bombardment TF will be bombarding at night (check your movement status-but this is usually a default), your planes also need to be switched over to nighttime OPs.

Chickenboy -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/12/2011 4:32:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

FWIW, I set mine on Recon, with the intended target. Works fine too.

USSAmerica -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/12/2011 4:36:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

FWIW, I set mine on Recon, with the intended target. Works fine too.

Cool, I guess it's "no target required to be set." [:)]

Bald Michael -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/12/2011 8:14:00 PM)

This is a great thread for newbies. I'm one of them. I played SSI's Gary Grigsby's Pacific War in the late 90's, then the Matrix free rebuild. I enjoyed them both but wanted more. I gave myself WitPAE for Christmas. (Our family budget is tight.) I love this game and I'm overwhelmed by it. I'm very grateful to the people on this forum for sharing their knowledge so generously. I'll have questions after I read the material on this thread and elsewhere in the forum. Glad to be aboard.

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/13/2011 1:09:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bald Michael

This is a great thread for newbies. I'm one of them. I played SSI's Gary Grigsby's Pacific War in the late 90's, then the Matrix free rebuild. I enjoyed them both but wanted more. I gave myself WitPAE for Christmas. (Our family budget is tight.) I love this game and I'm overwhelmed by it. I'm very grateful to the people on this forum for sharing their knowledge so generously. I'll have questions after I read the material on this thread and elsewhere in the forum. Glad to be aboard.

Wecome aboard , its quite a leap from the original GG game so im usre you'll have a ton of questions, the manual is actually pretty good on overarching questions but lacks depth (even though its huge by normal game standards) .. fire away and use search too, we are a great community imo so once again welcome.

BigDuke66 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/13/2011 2:49:46 AM)

I want to setup some CS TFs and those that go to India and Australia shouldn't refuel there so I want to use "Minimal Refuel" instead of "Do Not Refuel" to make sure they get some if the really need some to do the job but what will those TFs do when they return home?
How much will they refuel if at all?

Arigoth -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/13/2011 1:09:21 PM)

Toward the end of every operations report there is a statement: "Delayed Planes for the aircraft pool".

What the heck does that mean? I currently have a pretty good size list of them.

vonTirpitz -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/13/2011 1:24:27 PM)

When planes are being returned to the aircraft pools from airgroups (recent upgrades, reduced reserves, etc.) it takes a few days for those planes to make the trip back to the "pools". The messages you are seeing simply indicate that there are planes making this transition back into your pools.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arigoth

Toward the end of every operations report there is a statement: "Delayed Planes for the aircraft pool".

Arigoth -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/13/2011 2:19:53 PM)

Thanks, I thought I was shorting myself something (engines/Frames) and was delaying their entry somehow

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonTirpitz

When planes are being returned to the aircraft pools from airgroups (recent upgrades, reduced reserves, etc.) it takes a few days for those planes to make the trip back to the "pools". The messages you are seeing simply indicate that there are planes making this transition back into your pools.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arigoth

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/13/2011 3:08:10 PM)

quote:

I want to setup some CS TFs and those that go to India and Australia shouldn't refuel there so I want to use "Minimal Refuel" instead of "Do Not Refuel" to make sure they get some if the really need some to do the job but what will those TFs do when they return home?
How much will they refuel if at all?

I could be wrong on this, but it seems as though they fully refuel.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/13/2011 3:11:42 PM)

I just launched my first amphibious assault: 2 aussie divisions plus an armored unit, artillery, and a corps HQ landed on Luganville. To make this landing, I used almost all of my APs organized into two fleets. During the landing, there were "accidents" that led to the disabling of about 30% of each of the aussie divisions.

Did I do something wrong to cause these "landing accidents?" Were my fleet sizes too large, is it simply the nature of an amphibious assault, or are APs just not the best landing craft? (I unloaded all of the troops I brought in 1 day, which seemed really good).

Smeulders -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/13/2011 3:35:35 PM)

I am guessing you didn't prepare your units for the attack. Preparation is of the highest importance when doing an amphibious assault. Make sure your units are well prepared for the target, preferably 100 prep points. Also thank your lucky stars that you weren't invading an atoll, no preparation will get you absolutely slaughtered there.

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/13/2011 3:40:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

I am guessing you didn't prepare your units for the attack. Preparation is of the highest importance when doing an amphibious assault. Make sure your units are well prepared for the target, preferably 100 prep points. Also thank your lucky stars that you weren't invading an atoll, no preparation will get you absolutely slaughtered there.

They were about 50%, but I guess that isn't enough.

I wanted to strike back quickly before the enemy had time to build up that base, or surrounding bases.

BigDuke66 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/14/2011 8:38:25 AM)

Couldn't find anything about decreasing fortifications without combat in the manual, so why and how fast do they decrease and can I do anything against it?

Erkki -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/14/2011 9:42:48 AM)

Ring ring, a n00b question.

Just to clarify things... The N1K is not in the upgrade path of my land-based Navy fighter units(or carrier based to that matter). However, apparently once a unit upgrades to A6M5(or M5a, is there even one?), the N1K shows up in the list and the unit can be upgraded to it the next, or even the same, turn. Is this correct?

HansBolter -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/14/2011 11:59:47 AM)

quote:

quote:

I wanted to strike back quickly before the enemy had time to build up that base, or surrounding bases.

Is prep level the only factor here?

I have been operating under the impression that the difference between using real amphibious ships (AP's, AK's, LCU's, etc.) and converted civilian ships (xAP's, xAK's) was also a factor. Is this not true?

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/14/2011 12:15:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

I have been operating under the impression that the difference between using real amphibious ships (AP's, AK's, LCU's, etc.) and converted civilian ships (xAP's, xAK's) was also a factor. Is this not true?

I was using APs, which you've classified as a real amphibious ship.

BigDuke66 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/14/2011 10:00:06 PM)

A question regarding the save files because I'm currently fooling around with the Tracker.
-"PreTurnSave", is saved after I clicked to process the turn, so right before the processing starts, correct?
-"AutoSave", when does it save? I thought when the processing is done and the new turn starts but I just entered the 9th December but my save is still from the beginning of 8th December.
-"CombatSave", is it saved before combat is processed?

Would it be a problem to rename any of those or the normal save files?

Another question regarding mine sweeping, are all ships listed on p.137/138 in the two mine sweeping columns eligible for mine sweeping?
And if so do they differ in how good they are for it?
What if I use the higher max react value, would the TF sweep mines found some hexes away or does it stick with DH for local and DH+6 hexes around for regular mine sweeping?

brian800000 -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/15/2011 4:36:54 AM)

A question regarding the Burma Road--is there a way to tell if it has closed? I'm fairly sure it has. I've got almost all my forces in Rangoon, while 7 Japanese units are in Pegu staring at me, and a Japanese division is conquering to its heart's content inland.

LoBaron -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/15/2011 5:16:54 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

I was using APs, which you've classified as a real amphibious ship.

Accidents do happen on unload for all ship types. You cannot avoid it completely.

The difference between AP and xAP is the unload speed (in an amphib operation). There is not an increased chance of accidents as far as I know, though since you
need more unload phases to unload naturally the chances for an accident happening are increased over the whole process.

And yes, 50% prep is pretty low. There are some that wont go below 100, I say it depends on the target.

LoBaron -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/15/2011 5:18:51 AM)

quote:

Couldn't find anything about decreasing fortifications without combat in the manual, so why and how fast do they decrease and can I do anything against it?

Forts do not decrease without combat.
Any attack 2:1 or better has a chance to decrease fort levels, combat engineers have an additional chance to decrease them. (so better bring some to your offensives [;)])

LoBaron -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/15/2011 5:29:06 AM)

quote:

A question regarding the save files because I'm currently fooling around with the Tracker.
-"PreTurnSave", is saved after I clicked to process the turn, so right before the processing starts, correct?
-"AutoSave", when does it save? I thought when the processing is done and the new turn starts but I just entered the 9th December but my save is still from the beginning of 8th December.
-"CombatSave", is it saved before combat is processed?

Would it be a problem to rename any of those or the normal save files?

Another question regarding mine sweeping, are all ships listed on p.137/138 in the two mine sweeping columns eligible for mine sweeping?
And if so do they differ in how good they are for it?
What if I use the higher max react value, would the TF sweep mines found some hexes away or does it stick with DH for local and DH+6 hexes around for regular mine sweeping?

PreTurn is saved the instant you hit "end turn"
Auto save should be generated from running the replay.
Combat safe is the Combat replay.

The files are generated anew every turn so renaming them wouldn´t make much difference.

Dedicated minesweepers (AM/AMc) are best at what they do, usually a DMS is good enough.
DD´s or patrol craft can sweep but are much less effective. they sweeps smaller ammounts of mines and have
a higher chance to sweep only once if you know what I mean.

Their different (best) areas of operations are defined by their range, speed and armament than their performance while sweeping.

And no, reaction does not work with mines, what you can do instead is set up a patrol zone.

LoBaron -> RE: A few newbie questions (2/15/2011 5:31:17 AM)

quote:

A question regarding the Burma Road--is there a way to tell if it has closed? I'm fairly sure it has. I've got almost all my forces in Rangoon, while 7 Japanese units are in Pegu staring at me, and a Japanese division is conquering to its heart's content inland.

Burma road is closed as soon as Rangoon falls from what I have heard here. So the manual is wrong on that aspect.
Recapture Rangoon and the Burma road is open and running. (may sound easier than it is, I know,.. [;)])

Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI