RE: A few newbie questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Justus2 -> RE: A few newbie questions (6/21/2015 6:20:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SilentHunter

HEre's a short video of a few turns, what I'm trying to understand at this point is how the sightings report or ops reports are reporting back enemy task forces of 7, 8, 10 ships right around dutch harbor but I'm never seeing them on the map. Same with submarines, oil spots, periscope wakes and such. The reason I'm using ASW and naval search at such close hex levels is I'm on interested in finding those enemies around me.

Is it possible the reports are always false? I realize weather can play a role but after this many turns (outside the video) I would think with all those sighting reports something would show up on the map?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2uuvnr

The fog of war in this game causes many 'false postive' sightings - your pilots (especially low skill) will frequently report sighting TFs near your own bases that are completely fictitious or are their spotting your own ships and reporting as enemy. They are listed in the Operations Report (not Combat Report). You will learn from experience when to trust them, but generally, if there is no icon remaining when you start the next turn, they probably weren't there to begin with.

SilentHunter -> RE: A few newbie questions (6/21/2015 6:36:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Justus2

quote:

HEre's a short video of a few turns, what I'm trying to understand at this point is how the sightings report or ops reports are reporting back enemy task forces of 7, 8, 10 ships right around dutch harbor but I'm never seeing them on the map. Same with submarines, oil spots, periscope wakes and such. The reason I'm using ASW and naval search at such close hex levels is I'm on interested in finding those enemies around me.

Is it possible the reports are always false? I realize weather can play a role but after this many turns (outside the video) I would think with all those sighting reports something would show up on the map?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2uuvnr

The fog of war in this game causes many 'false postive' sightings - your pilots (especially low skill) will frequently report sighting TFs near your own bases that are completely fictitious or are their spotting your own ships and reporting as enemy. They are listed in the Operations Report (not Combat Report). You will learn from experience when to trust them, but generally, if there is no icon remaining when you start the next turn, they probably weren't there to begin with.

This could be the entire issue and reason for my question/rant then, I just find it crazy I've got multiple reports of enemy task forces consisting of 7,8,10 ships and every time it's turned out to be false. Now maybe they are reporting back my own ships as the enemy that's something I've not taken in to account. I just have to assume these are all false then and move on. Thanks

SilentHunter -> RE: A few newbie questions (6/21/2015 8:59:29 PM)

Another thought is they are reporting my own ships as enemy ships, the more I keep trying different things I'm noticing that when they report Jap ships near my harbor, it could be my own ships they are reporting as the enemy. Same with the oil slicks, could be my own subs on patrol as I usually have a sub on patrol that may have passed through the search area.

wegman58 -> RE: A few newbie questions (6/22/2015 2:45:39 PM)

Search planes, even with GOOD pilots, turn in a LOT of false positive reports. Lousy weather degrades the search results - and you get that in the 1000 Mile war.

T0mcat -> RE: A few newbie questions (3/7/2017 10:16:27 PM)

I hope it's not a mayor crime to resurrect this threat for some more questions from a noob (= me).
Here they come:

1. How to use ships for ASW?

Being utterly masochistic, I started playing this game as the Japanese in the big historical scenario against the AI. From mid december '41 there is a serious US sub infestation near the Japanese shores. Many are spotted by patrol planes and appear on the map. So I tried three different approaches to attempt to attack these subs.

a) using ships with low endurance and ASW equip (DDs, SCHs etc) I sent out human controlled two ship task forces and assigned patrol areas to them, giving them the maximum reaction range (6 hex) and letting them rest for one or two days on the patrol points. I have not changed commanders for high skills, so I didn't expect them to do much, but they managed to disappoint me. As it seems, there is no reaction at all, even when a sub is spotted in the neighbouring hex. Then, after a couple days, the task forces seem to end up in their homeport doing nothing and not going on patrol again, after repair/replenishment?!? So I tried option

b) which was basically the same, just with putting the task forces under computer control. I probably missed something, but the result seemed to be the same. Patrol area gone through once, then the task forces sit in the homeport... Which made me try option

c) where I did not assign a patrol area, but ordered the task forces out to sea with "stay on position" order. Some did, other's didn't, but went back to the homeport a day or two later, even without having depleted their ammo/fuel.

So I am under the impression, that I am doing something totally wrong. Is there a way to assign a patrol area to an ASW task force, which will then be repeatedly gone through ad infinitum, with just short breaks in the homeport for refueling/replenishment/repairs, or do I have to micromanage each task force to that patrol area again and again and again?

2) Roads and Railways - what does the colours mean?

When using the R and Y keys, the map lights up in either shades of red or grey. Or rather, the roads (red) and railroad lines (black/greyish) are shown on the map. And in different degrees of red/grey. So my assumption is, darker colour = better road/railroad connection. True?

3) How much bombardment is enough?

Or rather, is bombardment by artillery effective against units in fortified positions?

4) How do I keep troop transport taskforces from depleting the bases' supplies?

Is there only the "all or nothing" option for supplies when loading troops? Do I have to manually stop the loading of resources after the troops are loaded if I want to keep the task force from taking all resources in the base on board?

5) Dock or no to dock - that is the question

When I assign a CS:Destination to a cargo task force, making sure it's size is below the tonnage limits for both the home port and the target port, will it dock for loading/unloading at either when doing it's repetitive journeys?

That's all for now. Thanks in advance for any help given. [&o]

Sauvequipeut -> RE: A few newbie questions (3/8/2017 12:48:02 AM)

By no means an expert myself, but FWIW on some of your questions:

1)I generally use 'a', but with 3 ships which seems to be the optimum. Fast ships (ie destroyers) I have on react 3, slower ones on react 2. I generally find that only destroyers will react, and that only 2 or 3 hexes...further, they don't seem to bother. The slower ones never seem to make even the effort to go one hex. I don't put them to computer control, as they seem *never* to react while on that - always keep them human. In any case, ASW TF's don't seem to react to much unless the patrol zone is well covered with air, either on Nav Search or ASW. Once the detection level on the sub is high, reactions occur. Not sure why they would be sitting in port after one sweep, though - my experience is that they will replenish and head back out, unless the damage has reached a certain level, then they will auto-disband for repair.

4)It's all or nothing, unless you catch the TF the next turn after it's loaded the troops and has started loading supplies. An alternative way to control the supply load is to load the troops with 'troops only' and then form a separate transport TF with ships tailored to however many supplies you want to ship out. After loading, combine the TF's and away you go. This is always a Good Thing to do when invading anyway, as ships will unload all troops before unloading supplies. Your troops really need some supply being offloaded from day one.
An alternative to the alternative is to load the troops on 'Troops Only', then check out unused capacity once everyone is aboard. Separate out selected ships into a TF, and have them top up with supplies.
When playing jiggery-pokery with TF's like this, I've found it a good idea to have everyone on 'Do Not Unload' and no destination set...it's mildly aggravating to find your troops are disembarking again or have half the TF head away before the rest is ready. Just remember to set to unload when you set the destination...

5) As far as I know, the game will automatically dock TF's that need to unload, undock empty ones ready to go and generally keep things moving on the stevedore front.

HansBolter -> RE: A few newbie questions (3/8/2017 10:59:21 AM)

quote:

Another thought is they are reporting my own ships as enemy ships, the more I keep trying different things I'm noticing that when they report Jap ships near my harbor, it could be my own ships they are reporting as the enemy. Same with the oil slicks, could be my own subs on patrol as I usually have a sub on patrol that may have passed through the search area.

If one actually takes the time to watch the turn unfold and if one slows the rapid fire execution of messages by increasing the message delay so one can actually read the messages and glean what is going on then one can readily see that the false reporting (which often appears in blue text) happens at a location consistent with one's own task forces.

I slow the rapid flash messages down and I actually get to see and read what is happening.

Page: <<   < prev  13 14 15 16 [17]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI