RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

Nomad -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 4:53:36 AM)

I can't find a Schelde class, but there is a Damen Schelde shipbuilding company who built some of the ships we know and love( some of the Dutch subs and DDs ).

Here is a link to the appropate page

traskott -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 9:57:24 AM)

Amazing job boys :) 

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 10:52:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

I can't find a Schelde class, but there is a Damen Schelde shipbuilding company who built some of the ships we know and love( some of the Dutch subs and DDs ).

Here is a link to the appropate page

I found the same thing when I did a search. I have a hunch this ship is purely the invention of the artist who drew it. As far as I know there was never even a design proposal to build these. But it was fun to make... [:)]

EDIT: I may look into the Dutch ship building industry one of these days and put together an alternative building program for them, something along the lines of the Alt_Naval projections I was fiddling around with.

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 12:42:02 PM)

Sort of along the same design as the Schelde posted prior to this except this time a heavy cruiser design. A bit longer and more guns.

[image]local://upfiles/17421/4DBABA9CEB14485DA7928E6763353390.jpg[/image]

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 12:42:57 PM)

Game files...

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 1:16:35 PM)

I'll probably be doodling around a bit with the Dutch navy for a while. I just want to give credit where credit is due. Most of the drawings I'm working with are by a poster named Vossiej who has uploaded his images onto www.shipbucket.com. Thank you for your excellent work, whoever you are! [&o]

traskott -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 1:16:42 PM)

Have un considered make a site with all this work ??

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 1:22:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

Have un considered make a site with all this work ??

The Matrix forums seem to serve as a good base for my work for right now. We did have some comprehensive fan sites a la Spooky and RogueUSMC once upon a time. Are they still in operation and up to date? Otherwise I don't know where else to post my stuff.

traskott -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 1:44:47 PM)

Not sure if RogueUSMC is up to date...

Well, I'll track your post to got the ships [:)]

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 2:15:40 PM)

This is a neat ship, a VERY large DD at 426 ft. Somewhere between a DD and a DD leader. I took the original design on shipbucket and took off the seaplane (a seaplane seems kind of useless for a DD) and then added a third bank of TTs. Small ship with big pointy teeth! [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/17421/7E46F8172D9E4DF2A59BB62EC8126838.jpg[/image]

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 2:17:10 PM)

Game files...

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/5/2011 2:26:48 PM)

Last post of artwork for this morning...off to work soon...

A visual summary of the Dutch so far:

[image]local://upfiles/17421/8F88B7E2C7AB494FAF257249F193ACE5.jpg[/image]

oldman45 -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 12:34:39 AM)

Gary, how do you feel about going out on a limb what the Schelde and Callenburg main guns might be and what the gun aft of the fwd mount on the Callenburg might be?

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 3:23:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

Gary, how do you feel about going out on a limb what the Schelde and Callenburg main guns might be and what the gun aft of the fwd mount on the Callenburg might be?

I'll go out on a limb and say that the Schelde heavy CA main guns would be 20.3cm. The Schelde CL would be 15cm. And the second front mount on the Callenburg would be maybe 40mm? I'm no expert but I understand the Dutch got a lot of their hardware from Krupp and Bofors. So it might be feasible to use stats for some of the German or Swedish weapons here.

TOMLABEL -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 4:12:38 AM)

quote:

Yes, Rogue's site is up to date. Me and Big B just posted all of our RN/USN camo plus new screen art there.

TOMLABEL

oldman45 -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 4:20:15 AM)

Gives me some place to start and thanks for the drawings Gary.

traskott -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 9:03:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

quote:

Yes, Rogue's site is up to date. Me and Big B just posted all of our RN/USN camo plus new screen art there.

TOMLABEL

Thank you [;)]!!!

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 11:23:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

quote:

TOMLABEL

Good news! Thanks TOMLABEL!

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 11:59:08 AM)

quote:

Gives me some place to start and thanks for the drawings Gary.

You're most welcome. I'm glad someone may use them. I know my Dutch ships are about as "never were" as never were gets but WITP is all about changing history in one form or another so I don't see anything wrong with using some purely fictional ships so long as the stats on them are reasonably well thought out.

I know some in the WITP forums are more purist and opposed to anything that deviates from the historical but that shouldn't stop others from doing what they want with the game they purchased.

I'm hoping to find out a little more about the Dutch shipbuilding industry so I can try to put together an optimized building plan for them and hopefully get them a few more ships into the game.

Terminus -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 1:34:25 PM)

40mm in a turret? Looks like a "what-if" installation of some sort, maybe a 3in AA gun. There's a 40mm Hazemeyer mount behind X-turret.

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 2:08:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

40mm in a turret? Looks like a "what-if" installation of some sort, maybe a 3in AA gun. There's a 40mm Hazemeyer mount behind X-turret.

Good point. 3in sounds more appropriate.

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 2:15:14 PM)

Next up, based upon plans to develop a "cruiser killer" BC to patrol the NEI. From what I gather the Dutch were aware of the power of the Japanese cruiser force and therefore were in the process of designing a BC to counter them. The BC design was highly influenced by Scharnhorst. A total of 3 to 4 such BCs were planned.

A good article on the planning to create the BCs can be found here:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/DutchCruisers.php

[image]local://upfiles/17421/69DCE618B6974B6E911D3821887C17E1.jpg[/image]

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 2:17:12 PM)

And files...

Terminus -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 8:04:19 PM)

Further to the Callenburgh class, the real design did call for 2x2 40mm Bofors, one mount in "B" position, the other in "P" position, behind "X" turret. I don't know what the artist intended, though...

oldman45 -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 11:14:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Next up, based upon plans to develop a "cruiser killer" BC to patrol the NEI. From what I gather the Dutch were aware of the power of the Japanese cruiser force and therefore were in the process of designing a BC to counter them. The BC design was highly influenced by Scharnhorst. A total of 3 to 4 such BCs were planned.

A good article on the planning to create the BCs can be found here:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/DutchCruisers.php

This is another good article on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_1047_battlecruiser

oldman45 -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/6/2011 11:16:38 PM)

quote:

Further to the Callenburgh class, the real design did call for 2x2 40mm Bofors, one mount in "B" position, the other in "P" position, behind "X" turret. I don't know what the artist intended, though...

I was planning on just calling that gun in the "B" position a twin 40mm. The turret that is aft of the amidships 40mm is different from the others. I wonder if the guy was just trying to make the turret fit there or if he intended it to be something other than a 5" gun.

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/7/2011 3:22:11 AM)

quote:

quote:

I was planning on just calling that gun in the "B" position a twin 40mm. The turret that is aft of the amidships 40mm is different from the others. I wonder if the guy was just trying to make the turret fit there or if he intended it to be something other than a 5" gun.

I doubt that is the case. The smaller turret most definitely looks like it's a different caliber weapon than the main armament. Compared to the main guns it looks more like 30-50mm or somewhere along those lines. 37mm could be a possibility as well. But my guess would be twin 40mm since that was part of the intended design.

TOMLABEL -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/7/2011 4:36:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Wow!!!! - - - GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!! You're ship art is really fantastic!!!!!! You should be "full-time" at this! Please keep it coming!!!!

TOMLABEL

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/7/2011 12:32:20 PM)

Thanks TOMLABEL! Coming from one of those who brought us all the superb art in AE I take this as the highest compliment. Fortunately the AE team has already covered everything and the proverbial kitchen sink when it comes to RL ships so that just leaves me with the hypothetical stuff. [:)]

GaryChildress -> RE: Gary's Never Was Workshop and Doodle Pad (4/7/2011 2:18:24 PM)

Another Dutch "never-was". CA Rotterdam. Presumably an 8" cruiser.

[image]local://upfiles/17421/7F2D53E110064AD0A651AE0F1A5F7C5F.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI