Newcomers Question on Combat Effectiveness (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris

spelk -> Newcomers Question on Combat Effectiveness (12/1/2010 1:49:24 PM)

Again, I hope the existing players don't mind me displaying my ignorance...

I'm struggling a bit to get a handle on combat effectiveness, I'm winning some engagements (playing the Germans in Case White against the Polish) but I'm not really sure what it was I brought into the fight that actually made it a success. I'm sort of gravitating towards outnumbering the enemy, but keeping the stack total below the denominator.

I often push infantry, and motorised troops forward, with supporting tanks where I can, then keep artillery behind, bombard, and ground attack. But nothing I seem to be doing shows me an indentifiable strategic advancement with the deployments I have.

Is there a rule of thumb that can be adopted when evaluating the likelihood of a victory in any skirmish?

Any tips from the existing player base as to how composition affects the outcome? I realise there is always an element of luck in terms of the success of a conflict, but my current guideline seems to be misguided - considering the lack of repeatable success.

Any help would be most appreciated.

willgamer -> RE: Newcomers Question on Combat Effectiveness (12/1/2010 5:19:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spelk

Again, I hope the existing players don't mind me displaying my ignorance...

I'm not sure these answers are on point to what you are asking, but fwiw...
quote:

I'm struggling a bit to get a handle on combat effectiveness, I'm winning some engagements (playing the Germans in Case White against the Polish) but I'm not really sure what it was I brought into the fight that actually made it a success. I'm sort of gravitating towards outnumbering the enemy, but keeping the stack total below the denominator.

Ignore the effectiveness number and try to get all 3 rgts and div arty involved in every attack. Always attack first with arty and/or air to cause casualties and sub-unit retreats.
quote:

I often push infantry, and motorised troops forward, with supporting tanks where I can, then keep artillery behind, bombard, and ground attack. But nothing I seem to be doing shows me an indentifiable strategic advancement with the deployments I have.

Pay attention to the number of APs remaining to attack with; try to move as little as possible before attacking. If the target can't escape, move adjacent on one turn, then attack of the next turn with full APs.
quote:

Is there a rule of thumb that can be adopted when evaluating the likelihood of a victory in any skirmish?

A run-of-the-mill successful attack is 1 division vs 1 rgt.
quote:

Any tips from the existing player base as to how composition affects the outcome? I realise there is always an element of luck in terms of the success of a conflict, but my current guideline seems to be misguided - considering the lack of repeatable success.

Quoting from Barthhart in another thread:

"The Poles never quit based on morale.

To capture Warsaw you need to drive straight at it. Don't get side tracked by killing everything. Take the VP's on the way to Warsaw but just leave the pockets of Poles on on VP's.

Use your panzers to rush ahead and form pockets so the Poles can't move troops back towards Warsaw for defence. Move as fast as possible. Don't worry too much about being cut off, if the Poles are trying that they won't get back to Warsaw in time.

Use infantry units to guard pockets and assault cities with VP's. Tanks aren't much good in cities."

quote:

Any help would be most appreciated.

Hope this helps! [:)]

spelk -> RE: Newcomers Question on Combat Effectiveness (12/2/2010 3:59:48 PM)

Thanks for your answers willgamer, it seems that the power of numbers is the main mode of successful attacks then.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI