How to Avoid overwriting Scenarios in your Scen directory (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Wild Bill -> How to Avoid overwriting Scenarios in your Scen directory (12/15/2000 1:02:00 AM)

I posted this as a reply but I want to post it as a separate topic for those who have had problems with overwriting scenarios. It works well for me. Scenario files (4 of them for each battle) are not listed by name, but by number. There can never be any real coordination between designers and numbers. Many don't even come to this forum, they just post scenarios. So here is what I recommend. Follow these steps. 1. Create a "temp" directory in your SPWAW directory. 2. Whenever you download a new scenario, download to this temp directory. 3. Unzip it. See what numbers it has. Example. It unzips as scen105.* 4. Go to your \Scen subdirectory. Scroll through the list with Win Explorer to see if there is already a scen105 already there. 5. If there is no scen105, then you can proceed to load it into the scen subdirectory. 6. If there is one already there, continue searching until you find an empty slot. Example. There is no scen114. 7. Go back to your temp directory, and rename the four files from scen105 to scen114. I do this by clicking once on each name to highlight it. I wait a second or two and then click again. Then I type in the new file name. Then I hit enter. 8.Once renamed, move them into your scen directory. 9. If you save your zip files too, you should put those new files into a new zip file and then delete the originals. 10. I also recommend that you save any downloaded scenarios to a floppy or a zip disk, once modified. That will save you having to download them again should you have a computer disaster. This seems long and laborious. After you do it once or twice, the entire procedure only takes a minute or two. And it definitely avoids the peril of overwriting. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

El Guiry -> (12/15/2000 2:00:00 AM)

I use a program called Steel Panthers Scenario Manager V3.0 by Michael Deltano which does a great job of managing your scenarios. Only problem is that I can't remember where I downloaded it from. I think it was on a link from the forum or this site at least. Any help out there?

Fabs -> (12/15/2000 2:07:00 AM)

Scenario Manager is available from the Downloads page here at TGN SPWAW. It's the best way to move scenarios around, but the version I have doesn't take the VCR file into account. It's also no good for moving maps around.

Wild Bill -> (12/15/2000 4:45:00 AM)

It does need a serious update. It's an excellent program. Perhaps after the holidays the author will help us out...WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

BA Evans -> (12/15/2000 10:46:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: There can never be any real coordination between designers and numbers. Many don't even come to this forum, they just post scenarios.
What do you mean they can't coordinate their efforts? The designers obviously found the scenario board when they posted their personal scenarios. If they have been to the scenario board they have access to the scenarios posted there. Now that they have access to these scenarios, they can easily determine which scenario numbers have been used. That is what I have to do in order not to overwrite existing scenarios. BA Evans [This message has been edited by BA Evans (edited December 15, 2000).]

Wild Bill -> (12/15/2000 11:12:00 PM)

In and ideal world, yes, that is how it would be done. Unfortunately, it is not. What folks should do and what they do are often very far apart. You are very concscientious about what you do. I appreciate that. Not everyone has your foresight, my friend. The main problem is with the system. Scenarios need to be saved by name, not by number. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

MindSpy -> (1/5/2001 8:16:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: I posted this as a reply but I want to post it as a separate topic for those who have had problems with overwriting scenarios. It works well for me. takes a minute or two. And it definitely avoids the peril of overwriting. Wild Bill
This is still a timely subject. I use my scenario slots for my own devilish desires. So I would use the same procedure but instead keep all my game issue and new scenario`s in the temp safety net. However for those with self-restraint Wild Bill`s suggestion is clearly the way to go! Happy Birthday Bill MindSpy

BruceAZ -> (1/5/2001 11:19:00 AM)

Thanks Bill good advice. ------------------ "The most important element in war is man. And there are no tougher men than my China Marines." Major Gen. Archer 'Archy' Vandegrift, 1st Marine Division

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI