RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Data -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/24/2011 10:54:30 PM)

I fully agree with you but Sins of a Solar Empire comes to mind. I think this is also a rts 4x game and while I haven't played it yet I didn't hear anything about saving / loading being to time consuming.
I'm not a developer so I don't know what's involved but if this time could be reduced it would be great.

Rosseau -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/25/2011 2:30:47 AM)

Haven't played DW/ROTS enough to comment. The deeper in, the more flaws you see, of course.

So what the OP and other veterans say here are a concern. Did ROTS create more problems than it solved? My guess is no. But it's an important thread as the dev(s) plan future expansions. Best to all!

Foraven -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/25/2011 2:41:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

I fully agree with you but Sins of a Solar Empire comes to mind. I think this is also a rts 4x game and while I haven't played it yet I didn't hear anything about saving / loading being to time consuming.
I'm not a developer so I don't know what's involved but if this time could be reduced it would be great.

Considering that in Sins you fight over at most a handful of star systems, the object count (ships/stations) never reach the huge numbers we can get in DW. Sins don't have a civilian sector that act on it's own either.

Astax -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/25/2011 3:41:19 AM)

Well they do not have civilian sector but they do have tons of tradeships and refinery ships that act ont heir own.  Regardless I have played mammoth games of Sins where saving did take a bit of time, and reloading took quite a bit.  But for the most part you can finish a game in one sitting, which is a plus for the game, since its multiplayer.

I dont thing DW save/load times would bother me as much if the game was so stable that I didnt need to go back to autosaves so much.

Data -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/25/2011 6:46:45 AM)

Right you are, sir

cookie monster -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/26/2011 8:54:34 AM)

Just done a major manual upgrade of all my designs.

When the upgrade selected push button is pressed for that design.

It removes the Haakonish mega density fuel cell and replaces it with a ultra dense fuel cell of 40% less capacity plus it costs 4 times as much. Even the greatest stock fuel cell is not better than the Haakonish mega density fuel cell.

It also removes the Ugnari race's targetting system and replaces it with stock. The stock system will never upgrade to be better than the Ugnari's currently developed targetting system.

Strangely though it keeps the Kiadian's Shadow Ghost ECM over stock.

Does the game mess up your race specific designs as well?

Data -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/26/2011 8:58:31 AM)

Yes, upgrading has been known to do this since the early days. You have to micro it to make sure you don't lose top tier equipment.

cookie monster -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/26/2011 9:49:20 AM)

quote:

Yes, upgrading has been known to do this since the early days. You have to micro it to make sure you don't lose top tier equipment.

It should have been reported and patched away by now then.

Data -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/26/2011 9:55:04 AM)

It was....reported [:)]

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/26/2011 12:37:37 PM)

Exploitable spamming diplomacy,lack of variation with the races and the resource system does not really add any strategy to the game apart from a few buffs from rare resources.

tjhkkr -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/27/2011 1:08:02 AM)

* Oh, yes, I dislike that other empires don't respect my territory and move their civilian population right in the middle of my great big, isolationist, xenophobic, war mongering empire. Smart move by Mr & Mrs Joe Normal. Send the troops. *

Yeah, that makes for an interesting situation... :)

ollobrains -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/27/2011 4:11:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Exploitable spamming diplomacy,lack of variation with the races and the resource system does not really add any strategy to the game apart from a few buffs from rare resources.

shows the need for better programming and more variance within the game

ollobrains -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/27/2011 5:06:33 AM)

quote:

Wild -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (4/27/2011 5:18:34 AM)

quote:

I agree.

republicofpepsi -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (5/1/2011 5:33:52 PM)

I've always felt Distant Worlds was soooo close to being amazing. I enjoy the game but in its current state it just doesn't keep me playing long.

My biggest issue is lack of racial differences. +- modifiers just don't make for anything interesting since they can generally be made moot in the late game. The races need clear rock/paper/scissors advantages disadvantages, even if that means we get fewer races. The ROTS tech tree helps but...just isn't enough yet. Sword of the Stars did it with engine technology, but I think Moo2 did it best. Remember wasn't it the Silicoids that ate rocks, so never had to worry about food?

I truly hope the developers aren't finished with DW, I'd be glad to support them further. Maybe cheaper and more often DLC style improvements to make it worth their while?

Some piddly things that would be nice:

To define your own borders. Draw a circle on the map to tell your ships to expand no father. Or maybe another mechanic, but something to define territory better.

I'd also like trade to be more important. I've rarely had difficulty with having resources, so I rarely pay attention to what a planet has. If we don't ever have to pay attention to detail in the system, all that work of the developer goes for nothing. Make it prohibitively expensive to buy from outside your alliance.

User editable components and technologies would be nice.

Smoother zoom

Data -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (5/1/2011 7:02:48 PM)

quote:

Silicoids that ate rocks, so never had to worry about food?

I truly hope the developers aren't finished with DW

Oo yes, and they were tolerant as well....the silicoids [:)]
It's important not to forget that developers in this case is actually only Elliot and while I'm convinced he's not finished by far he does what a one man team can do.

diablo1 -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? Troll free Zone Please. (5/1/2011 8:17:26 PM)

quote:

5. The AI can't fight

quote:

7. The game crashes quite frequently.

8. There is no difficulty level setting. I know how to boost the AI but I'm looking for a sterotypical EASY/NORMAL/CHALLENGING/HARD/IMPOSSIBLE SETTING

-The AIs have no goals; they just react to our actions.
-The AIs are easy to rip off all their tech and money once you get it to trade.
-The Pirates are only a nuisance, they don't grow much stronger over time and are too easy to find late game.
-Making war is a pain due to how logistics is handled (ie poorly).
-Designing ships is fun, updating them is a pain (due to unwanted weapons and devices swap).
-The AI's designs don't adapt to what we are using.
-The game don't support specialized designs (you have to manually build them and make sure they are not retrofitted with different designs).
-Fighting is mostly optional (we can make peace with everybody, anytime).
-The advisers are annoying, following their advices usually cause more troubles than it is worth.
-There is no way to set notes for planets or area of interests (that i know of that is).
-Making war becomes even more troublesome when we have aliens on our planets; they likes to revolt if we attack their species.
-Knowing where our ships and stuff are is often a pain.
-When the advisers suggest a mission, it doesn't give enough infos to make a proper decision (like the state of the fleet or the spy skill vs mission difficulty).
-No way to flag an area to be patrolled or protected by our fleets/patrols (like derelicts, world destroyer under repair).
-Getting techs from trade mess up our ship designs, we can't tell what techs we want to be used or not in auto designed ships/stations.
-Explorers explore in an annoyingly random fashion, often overlooking systems close by for far away ones.

These ^ and they really make the game no real challenge or fun. Even the Total War series as bad as they are are better than this. But, you know what's really the best? [:)]

Data -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? Troll free Zone Please. (5/1/2011 9:55:44 PM)

Need I remind you that Erik already warned you? Don't consider yourself lucky just because he doesn't notice you, the man with the stick will descend upon you [:D]

torrenal -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (5/2/2011 4:20:02 AM)

Many, many kudos to the makers of Distant World.  I've played it a mostly with 1400 star systems, and can honestly say that the game was put together very well.  Yes, there are seams in the play that start to show as you start to really stress the system resources, but how they manifest tells me it was put together with a fluid design.  One that doesn't rigidly break if not everything happens in the instant it properly should.  It's a design I expect few could match, and fewer still do as well.  I even like programming challenges, but that's one I'll steer clear of.

---
On the massive pile of reserved items, I've seen the white pages with red Xs before.... I assume that's for goods reserved by extinct empires.  The quantities do seem excessive, I might question what activities had been going on in proximity to the planet.
On the other hand, for every mis-feature, there is a feature.  How can you exploit this to your advantage, to deny an opponent the materials he is short on?  To have him ship to you things you do not necessarily need, so that he must do without.

Which brings me to another thing I like about the game... there's more than one way to play it.  For fun... for playing a particular role... for trying new and creative ways to break the enemy, be it creative ship designs or creative strategies.

//Torrenal

Jaimoe_MatrixForum -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (5/13/2011 2:58:25 PM)

[image][/image]

Locarnus -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (6/11/2011 1:29:17 PM)

One of the most annoying things besides simple modding (HoI veteran) was map generation.

In most of the cases many of the AI empires end up right next to each other in some cosmic balkan clusterf**k. The outcome is mostly like in real life, non or only one of them thrives, the rest is useless for the later game...
It is so bad that I routinely open the editor after starting a new game, check where the colored dots are and restart. Eventually I stopped starting new games...

Now, a year later, the map generation is as terrible as before, although at least the story can now be deactivated, which became also a boring habit of locating those uber ships just to park them somewhere, so the game ballance is not crushed by them.

I guess I will take an hour to generate a decent galaxy, play the game and then check again in a year, waiting for this main issue to be resolved... (just let the player enter a minimum distance between alien empires, thats all it takes)

edit: or as a workaround, let me drag and drop the stars (homesystems) in the editor, so that i can move these 5 single homesystems at the edge to the quarter of the galaxy, where only one homesystem is located

edit: best way would be like se5, give me the stars of the starting map and let me define the stars applicable for home systems

Data -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (6/11/2011 1:54:17 PM)

More modding should come in the next expansion, hopefully we'll have these basic tools then as well. They are badly needed.

Simulation01 -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (6/11/2011 2:47:17 PM)

quote:

More modding should come in the next expansion, hopefully we'll have these basic tools then as well. They are badly needed.

How do you know this?

Data -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (6/11/2011 2:54:38 PM)

Erik announced it in a previous thread, here -> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2818402

cookie monster -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (6/11/2011 3:58:40 PM)

quote:

Erik announced it in a previous thread, here -> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2818402

He never announced more modding support, just that an expansion was being worked on.[:'(]

However I'm sure the poll will be taken into account and the game will have some new features.

And why not modders support.

Personally I will research the add-on throughly as I only got 2 months playing time outta ROTS before I was bored.

My formula for success is made and the "AI"... LOL can't handle it!

Data -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (6/11/2011 4:16:06 PM)

On Igard's poll thread, Erik made the below announcement

"Thanks again for this poll, it was part of the design discussion for the next expansion.

Regards,

- Erik "

This is actually the second poll and in the first one modding support got the most votes iirc so we do have some circumstancial evidence for this [:)]

Simulation01 -> RE: Controversial! What do you dislike the most about DW/DW ROTS? (6/11/2011 4:54:06 PM)

quote:

On Igard's poll thread, Erik made the below announcement

"Thanks again for this poll, it was part of the design discussion for the next expansion.

Regards,

- Erik "

This is actually the second poll and in the first one modding support got the most votes iirc so we do have some circumstancial evidence for this [:)]

The only thing we know is the vague notion that they are working on an expansion. Hell, the expansion may contain ships that fire carebears at opposing ships for all we know.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI