RE: SLC = 15K VP? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

CaptBeefheart -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/15/2011 3:31:53 AM)

Now the surprise is lost. You should have tried it in an AAR on Dec. 31, 1942. That would have been great.

Personally, I think auto-victory simulates the desire to sue for peace quite well. Who's to say if good chunks of Oz and NZ, or other valuable geography, were taken by the Evil Empire the Allies wouldn't have cried "uncle," especially if Japan offered to give back the national territory?

Cheers,
CC

crsutton -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/15/2011 2:23:06 PM)

I think that in the future I would not agree to any autovictory if I agree to play scen#2. I am beginning to think that as you JFBs gain experience and build on your mistakes, that AV is entirely possible in this scenario. However, I don't think it is possible vs matched opponents in scen 1 so don't really care. If somebody gets an AV on me in scen #1 I would resign from shame anyways-and my opponent should be ashamed for taking on such a wanker..[;)]

mike scholl 1 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/15/2011 4:15:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1
It easily can ruin the game by encouraging the Japanese player to throw caution to the wind and try crazy things to achieve it. Then if it doesn't work, he quits on January 2nd, 1943. That ruins the game. [8|]

If so, that's a fault of the player, not the game.

I've always felt that anything included in a game that encouraged strange a-historical play to achieve a "win" by "victory points" was a bad idea. I've felt this way ever since some proud "genius" announced in MOVES magazine that the Allies could always "win" the quad game Austerlitz by running all their units off the map starting on turn one, thus preventing the French player from being able to catch and kill enough of them to meet his VP requirements.

Might well be that historically the optimum strategy for the Austro-Russians would have been to refuse to engage..., but what's the point of playing a game at all in that case? VP's are one person's ideas on what might be important in a conflict. I've always preferred to make my own decisions on such matters. I know they'll never go away (too many players like the "genius" mentioned above in the gaming world). But I don't have to like them..., and I don't.[8D]

HansBolter -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/15/2011 6:00:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainer

crsutton:

quote:

auto victory. It just ruins the game.

It does not ruin the game.

It easily can ruin the game by encouraging the Japanese player to throw caution to the wind and try crazy things to achieve it. Then if it doesn't work, he quits on January 2nd, 1943. That ruins the game. [8|]

Which is exactly why I don't play PBEM.

My very first and only experience with PBEM came at the hands of a JFB in UV who promised he was going to go the distance and then went all out for an AV and promptly quit the turn after I sunk the KB off the Santa Cruz islands.

Axis players start indebted to the Allied player. The Allied player has a right to expect to collect on that debt. Auto victory conditions encourage Axis players to weasel out on their debt repayment. They are the bane of any grand strategic game.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/15/2011 6:49:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Axis players start indebted to the Allied player. The Allied player has a right to expect to collect on that debt. Auto victory conditions encourage Axis players to weasel out on their debt repayment. They are the bane of any grand strategic game.

IMO your logic falls apart in between the two bolded words.

A player can quit at any time, for any reason, AV or no AV. The issue is player ethics, or, if that's too strong, player manners. No rules will keep a jerk from being a jerk, in AE or when cell phones are involved.

If you want a good opponent don't take random strangers who walk up and offer to engage large poritons of your time for two or three years. You wouldn't do that with a business partner, stock broker, or random woman who approached you in a bar. Don't do it in grand strategic games either.

If you have a trustworthy partner, and want to negotiate away AV as an option, go for it. But asking for the rest of us who like it as a game (not war) mechanism to give it up because you don't care for it is a bit presumptuous.

HansBolter -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/15/2011 7:13:58 PM)

quote:

IMO your logic falls apart in between the two bolded words.

A player can quit at any time, for any reason, AV or no AV. The issue is player ethics, or, if that's too strong, player manners. No rules will keep a jerk from being a jerk, in AE or when cell phones are involved.

If you want a good opponent don't take random strangers who walk up and offer to engage large poritons of your time for two or three years. You wouldn't do that with a business partner, stock broker, or random woman who approached you in a bar. Don't do it in grand strategic games either.

If you have a trustworthy partner, and want to negotiate away AV as an option, go for it. But asking for the rest of us who like it as a game (not war) mechanism to give it up because you don't care for it is a bit presumptuous.

Sound advice indeed.

However, how does some one new to a game, looking for an opponent not take on a random stranger in PBEM?

I had several rousing games of UV in hot seat mode meeting a trusted, long time board game opponent at a coffee shop after work one night a week.

It was my foray into PBEM against a regular on the UV forum that left the nasty taste in my mouth.

The single greatest advantage the AI has over PBEM is that the AI will never be the jerk who quits when his wild gambit fails.

p.s. It's not the AV that I mind, it's how players use it. If he had won on his gambit, I would have congratulated him. It was quitting after he failed that destroyed his integrity from my perspective. and btw, I am NOT being presumptious by calling for the removal of AV. It's players who abuse it that I'm calling for the removal of! [8D]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/15/2011 7:34:06 PM)

How to get reliable playing partners is probably the biggest issue in AE. I've never played PBEM in part because of the issue you encountered in UV. I've tried to get RL friends to take up the game, guys I know and could give grief to, but also ones who know my lifestyle well enough to cut me slack when I might not turn out daily turns. A lot of the PBEM players who show themselves here in AARs seem to make AE the core focus of their non-work time. It'll never be that for me, so finding a PBEM opponent who would both stick and be flexible is pretty hard I fear.

There's no perfect way to get a good oponent, but I see dozens of double-post-number folks in the Opponents Wanted forum looking for games. I think if you're going to commit for multiple years you should/could first hang around, post, and get known well enough to be at, say, 500 posts first. I'd be suspicious that anyone under that range has enough time in the game system to really be able to handle it.

If, as in your case, you get a regular who is also a jerk, that's just the odds I guess. I wouldn't be averse to publishing his name and behavior in the forum, but that's me.

JeffroK -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/15/2011 9:43:04 PM)

Do any more CONUS bases have 17k VP??

I'd love to see a situation where the japanese player makes a suicide run on CONUS and para drops into 2-3 bases!
The players above who have garrisoned SLC might not cover enough bases, or take a week to get into the area from SF.

At the least it would increase the heart rate for a few minutes!

PS, I reckon this might work better into Australia or India!!

Cap Mandrake -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 2:06:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut9

There's no way to force a player to continue playing.  House Rules or not. 

Well...you could find out where they live, kidnap them, stick in a pit under the house and not give them any food until they completed a turn.

I'm not advocating this, of course. They might not try very hard and, if you are going to go to that much trouble and not have a serious opponent, you might as just well play the AI

mike scholl 1 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 11:29:12 AM)

quote:

p.s. It's not the AV that I mind, it's how players use it. If he had won on his gambit, I would have congratulated him. It was quitting after he failed that destroyed his integrity from my perspective. and btw, I am NOT being presumptious by calling for the removal of AV. It's players who abuse it that I'm calling for the removal of! [8D]

Exactly the reason I'd love to see it removed. To remove the temptation to play "fast and loose" in pursuit of an "Automatic Victory". If all players KNEW the game was going to last until 1945 when they started, they would play accordingly. Won't happen..., but that's my reasoning.[8D]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 9:42:26 PM)

quote:

Exactly the reason I'd love to see it removed. To remove the temptation to play "fast and loose" in pursuit of an "Automatic Victory". If all players KNEW the game was going to last until 1945 when they started, they would play accordingly. Won't happen..., but that's my reasoning.[8D]

I won't restate my reasoning for why removing the feature would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but I thought about this some more and expanded my conclusions. I think that a player quitting in the middle of a GC is a logical move found in many other games and sports, and might be OK in some cases.

How many good chess players continue the match to mate? Very few go the distance. A draw or concession is the normal outcome. Folding is essential to poker. Martial arts has the tap out. There's the 10-run mercy rule in pee-wee baseball. Professional baseball mangers hold back the logical reliever in hopeless games to save him for the next day. Race car drivers move over to let the leader pass if they aren't on the lead lap. Boxers used to literally "throw in the towel" if they were unable to "toe the line" for the next round.

In this light, and especially given how long a GC takes, it might be very reasonable for one player to conceed if soundly beaten. Yes, there is great randomness in combat, which games like chess do not have, and yes, the force structures are uneven, again, unlike many other games. But still, for many players who view AE as a GAME and not a WAR SIMULATION, conceeding, offering congrats, and starting a new game might be the best move to make for their particular mind-set. The key is, again, to know which type of player your opponent is before you start.

One final note on AV--it's absolutley needed in the current victory model. If the Japanese player simply survives to 1946 the worst he can do is a draw. Said another way, without AV it is impossible for the Allies to win a GC. I doubt you'd like that. [:)]

Chickenboy -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 9:49:36 PM)

quote:

A lot of the PBEM players who show themselves here in AARs seem to make AE the core focus of their non-work time.

Hmm...we must be reading different PBEM AARs, I guess. I'm not aware of anyone that's doing a PBEM that would make this game the core focus of their non-work time.

Regardless: If you only took on one PBEM partner, it's quite likely that you could only have 1-1.5 hours a day eaten up by this beast. That seems to be what many people commit to such a game. Certainly doable for most players. Hardly a 'core focus for their non-work time'.

HansBolter -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 9:54:42 PM)

quote:

I won't restate my reasoning for why removing the feature would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but I thought about this some more and expanded my conclusions. I think that a player quitting in the middle of a GC is a logical move found in many other games and sports, and might be OK in some cases.

How many good chess players continue the match to mate? Very few go the distance. A draw or concession is the normal outcome. Folding is essential to poker. Martial arts has the tap out. There's the 10-run mercy rule in pee-wee baseball. Professional baseball mangers hold back the logical reliever in hopeless games to save him for the next day. Race car drivers move over to let the leader pass if they aren't on the lead lap. Boxers used to literally "throw in the towel" if they were unable to "toe the line" for the next round.

In this light, and especially given how long a GC takes, it might be very reasonable for one player to conceed if soundly beaten. Yes, there is great randomness in combat, which games like chess do not have, and yes, the force structures are uneven, again, unlike many other games. But still, for many players who view AE as a GAME and not a WAR SIMULATION, conceeding, offering congrats, and starting a new game might be the best move to make for their particular mind-set. The key is, again, to know which type of player your opponent is before you start.

One final note on AV--it's absolutley needed in the current victory model. If the Japanese player simply survives to 1946 the worst he can do is a draw. Said another way, without AV it is impossible for the Allies to win a GC. I doubt you'd like that. [:)]

Moose,

The flaw I see in your logic is that in every one of those comparisons you used both sides start from an even-up position.

In grand strategic games of WWII, one player is agreeing to take the weaker side at start. He is agreeing to play the patsy to the other player, knowing full well he is going to take a pasting getting beat up one side and down the other.

He does this with the hope, and promise, that if he survives that pasting, that he will then enjoy an oppurtunity to administer a pasting in return. This is what I alluded to in my previous post as the debt that an Axis players owes to the Allied player from game start.

If an axis player grabs the oppurtunity to 'go for broke' in pursuit of an auto victory, he needs to be capable of manning up and going the distance with his overly attrited forces if his gambit fails so he can make good on his debt to the other player. If he isn't man enough to face going the distance with an overly attrited force he either shouldn't have started the game in the first place, or shouldn't have "gone for broke'.

Auto victory conditions seem, all too often, to bring out the 'childish quitter' in far, far too many supposed adults.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 9:59:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

A lot of the PBEM players who show themselves here in AARs seem to make AE the core focus of their non-work time.

Hmm...we must be reading different PBEM AARs, I guess. I'm not aware of anyone that's doing a PBEM that would make this game the core focus of their non-work time.

Regardless: If you only took on one PBEM partner, it's quite likely that you could only have 1-1.5 hours a day eaten up by this beast. That seems to be what many people commit to such a game. Certainly doable for most players. Hardly a 'core focus for their non-work time'.

And yet the wailing and knashing which ensues when a day without a turn occurs!![:)] This everyday grind was a big part of my comment.

During school months on non-gym nights, Mrs. Moose gets home circa 1830. Dinner, dishes takes to about 1930. We get up at 0445, so we head to bed at 2145 or so, lights out at about 2220.

Of course now, during summer vacation, it's a 24/7 party! But during the blizzard months, not so much.

witpqs -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 10:06:43 PM)

Moose, from what I've seen, players losing interest in a PBM has little or nothing to do with auto-vic.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 10:14:36 PM)

quote:

Moose,

The flaw I see in your logic is that in every one of those comparisons you used both sides start from an even-up position.

Not in poker. In the others there is normal variance in ability, but the rules and pieces are symetrical, yes. But no boxer is going to agree to fight to the death, which is what you're advocating.

In grand strategic games of WWII, one player is agreeing to take the weaker side at start. He is agreeing to play the patsy to the other player, knowing full well he is going to take a pasting getting beat up one side and down the other.

This is only one interpretation. There are others. Nemo doesn't seem too patsy-like in 1942 as the Allies. And, as has been said many times, a lot of Allied players enjoy the first year the most, with fewer pieces to push around and their backs to the wall.

He does this with the hope, and promise, that if he survives that pasting, that he will then enjoy an oppurtunity to administer a pasting in return.

This is one man's interpretation. Refer to those other games I named. Where is this symetry found anywhere else in competitive activity? If you see AE as a simulation, fine, but if it's a game, there's no DUTY to volunteer to be beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

This is what I alluded to in my previous post as the debt that an Axis players owes to the Allied player from game start.

Yeahbut, you're not asking for 30 minutes of extra chess moves so the other guy can yell "checkmate!" You're asking for potentially over a year's worth of evenings and weekends.

If an axis player grabs the oppurtunity to 'go for broke' in pursuit of an auto victory, he needs to be capable of manning up and going the distance with his overly attrited forces if his gambit fails so he can make good on his debt to the other player.

Again, IF he does this, the Allied player CAN'T WIN. Auto-victory is built into the core of the victory model.
And I continue to just say, talk about this pre-game, and decide if this is the opponent for you. Demanding that there be one and only one "correct" way to play the game is a bit deterministic. Sounds like the Church in 1450.[:)]

Auto victory conditions seem, all too often, to bring out the 'childish quitter' in far, far too many supposed adults.

One man's "childish quitter" is another's "logical spender of limited lifespan." So it goes.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 10:17:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Moose, from what I've seen, players losing interest in a PBM has little or nothing to do with auto-vic.

I agree that seems to be the case in AARed games I've watched. But there are reports of lots of AV quitting in games not visible on the forum.

To your point, I'd care less if someone I'd soundly beaten said "good game" and resigned than I would about someone who just went Casper on me in the middle of a fair fight.

SqzMyLemon -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/16/2011 10:46:37 PM)

quote:

One man's "childish quitter" is another's "logical spender of limited lifespan." So it goes.

That's darn near poetic. I hope I remember it, what a great way of putting it.

mike scholl 1 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/17/2011 12:43:35 AM)

quote:

quote:

I won't restate my reasoning for why removing the feature would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but I thought about this some more and expanded my conclusions. I think that a player quitting in the middle of a GC is a logical move found in many other games and sports, and might be OK in some cases. I think we must agree to dissagree...

One final note on AV--it's absolutley needed in the current victory model. If the Japanese player simply survives to 1946 the worst he can do is a draw. Said another way, without AV it is impossible for the Allies to win a GC. I doubt you'd like that. [:)] Actually, that's exactly what I'd like to see. A Japanese player who can drag the war out to 1946 (with historical perameters) DESERVES to think himself the game's winner. If he wants "bennies" (PDU and the like), then he should have to hold out longer to "win the game". That's a REAL victory.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/17/2011 2:44:00 AM)

quote:

One final note on AV--it's absolutley needed in the current victory model. If the Japanese player simply survives to 1946 the worst he can do is a draw. Said another way, without AV it is impossible for the Allies to win a GC. I doubt you'd like that. [:)] Actually, that's exactly what I'd like to see. A Japanese player who can drag the war out to 1946 (with historical perameters) DESERVES to think himself the game's winner. If he wants "bennies" (PDU and the like), then he should have to hold out longer to "win the game". That's a REAL victory.

I think you may be missing my point. Under the current system, the only way an Allied player can get either of the two victory conditions is through the auto-vic you say you hate. It's impossible any other way, since mere survival by the Japanese player to 1/1/46 gets him a draw or higher. But without AV there's no way for the Allied player to put the Japanese out of the game. There's no code for it. The VP gap could be 200,000 and the game would continue, and on 1/1/46 the Japanese player would get a draw, with the Allies watching helplessly. The Allied player could never win.

Some players might be Zen enough to consider a 200,000 VP gap an allied win, but most want the screen to say "You Won." To do that the Japanese have to cease to resist, and right now there's no way for that to happen except AV.

Alfred -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/17/2011 5:43:36 AM)

quote:

quote:

I think you may be missing my point. Under the current system, the only way an Allied player can get either of the two victory conditions is through the auto-vic you say you hate. It's impossible any other way, since mere survival by the Japanese player to 1/1/46 gets him a draw or higher. But without AV there's no way for the Allied player to put the Japanese out of the game. There's no code for it. The VP gap could be 200,000 and the game would continue, and on 1/1/46 the Japanese player would get a draw, with the Allies watching helplessly. The Allied player could never win.

Some players might be Zen enough to consider a 200,000 VP gap an allied win, but most want the screen to say "You Won." To do that the Japanese have to cease to resist, and right now there's no way for that to happen except AV.

If I may, Mr Moose[&o]

There is just a little...tiny...weeny...inopportune issue to clarify.

An auto victory is really an application of the mercy rule in baseball. AE players however distinguish two different applications of this mercy rule. No one ever complains when the auto victory rule is applied in 1945. Probably because only the Allied player is likely to achieve a 2:1 VP spread in 1945. Such an outcome appeals to the historical mind set who believe under no circumstances and disregarding the differing skills of the competing players, should this game result in anything other than a total decisive Allied victory.

The complaint which is regularly made, and only ever made by AFBs, is when the auto victory rule is applied in 1943. Whilst it is possible, particularly when playing scenario 2, Japan can achieve the necessary 4:1 VP spread for a 1943 victory, those who complain conveniently forget that it will be poor Allied play which will create the circumstances where an early Japanese auto victory is possible.

No amount of so called "gamey" Japanese play which is solely focussed on achieving a 1943 auto victory will succeed in the face of good Allied play. Faced with good Allied play, at best what a so called "gamey" Japanese player will achieve are the conditions to claim an auto victory in 1944 when the requirement drops to 3:1. No Allied player who loses on auto victory in 1944 has any right to complain about the outcome.

There is too much conflation here with Japanese players who resign in 1942 following a tactical defeat and auto victory. Almost every Japanee player who so resigns does not do it out of concern of the auto victory conditions. They resign because they only want to play offensively. Such a player is drawn to play the Japanese side because of the asymetric offensive advantages they have over playing the Allied side. If they had no KB on 7 December 1941, no initial amphibious bonus, and the VPs matrix was rejigged so that they could achieve an auto victory on 1 January 1943 merely by holding on to every existing 7 December 1941 Japanese base, they would still not play Japan.

Ultimately all this talk about auto victory is quite sterile. With good play from both sides, it really can not come into play before 1944 (Japan) or 1945 (Allied). People who resign early do so because their thirst for slashing offensive play become impossible and they had no intention from the very beginning to play a defensive game.

Alfred

mike scholl 1 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/17/2011 2:17:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

And I think you are missing mine. I feel the concoction of the "Auto-Victory" conditions (as a sop to JFB's who want to believe Japan can "win" the war) is what kept the designers from creating a set of decent historical victory conditions for both sides to shoot at. But as I said, I think we must simply agree to disagree... [8D] (a perfectly acceptable outcome between gentlemen.).

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/17/2011 2:49:17 PM)

quote:

And I think you are missing mine. I feel the concoction of the "Auto-Victory" conditions (as a sop to JFB's who want to believe Japan can "win" the war) is what kept the designers from creating a set of decent historical victory conditions for both sides to shoot at. But as I said, I think we must simply agree to disagree... [8D] (a perfectly acceptable outcome between gentlemen.).

OK, I want to be clear I'm not saying you're right or wrong. In the interest of discussion, and possibly for WITP 2, I'd like to explore this.

So, assume that AV is removed from the game model. Further assume that the present 2-level free hike in victory conditions is removed from the Japanese quiver. Assume that VPs remain. (Without them or some other quantitative measure of status I don't see how you can calculate winning conditions.) Further assume it's reasonable that VP totals, unless some exotic time-weighted scheme were inserted so late-war Japanese losses counted for much less than early war, would be wildly in the Allies' favor by 1945 between roughly balanced players.

Given those conditions, how would you macro-model victory conditions? I think if you insert pre-assigned geographic lines or base objectives you get gaming toward those objectives and lose a lot of player creativity. Further, unless taking, say, Tokyo is made a requirement for ending the war, what combo of results makes the Japanese quit? Conversely, if they don't, what combo of territory or Japanese force destruction makes the Allies' quit without a Japanese surrender? I mean here a set of conditions which satisfies the "historical" crowd playing the game? Further, how do you balance destruction of strategic assets into the mix? Or do you?

I'm interested in how you envision a "perfect" end game for AE from your perspective, one which could make the historical as well as the what-if player happy? Do you envision front-end, set-up options whereby an AI player or PBEM duo could choose which end game they want? Or what?

Erkki -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/17/2011 3:07:20 PM)

By the way, is it possible to continue playing, in a PBEM, after 44 and 45 AVs, too?

Alfred -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/17/2011 4:28:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erkki

By the way, is it possible to continue playing, in a PBEM, after 44 and 45 AVs, too?

Yes, which is partly why I said in my post the entire argument is sterile.

Alfred

mike scholl 1 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/18/2011 5:37:38 AM)

quote:

quote:

OK, I want to be clear I'm not saying you're right or wrong. In the interest of discussion, and possibly for WITP 2, I'd like to explore this.

I'm interested in how you envision a "perfect" end game for AE from your perspective, one which could make the historical as well as the what-if player happy? Do you envision front-end, set-up options whereby an AI player or PBEM duo could choose which end game they want? Or what?

"Putting me on the spot"? OK, that's fair enough. I think any rational victory conditions whould have to be based on those obtaining when the actual historical event took place. Obviously not "exactly" the same conditions, but the same generally hopeless situation the Japanese were facing when reality overcame the stubbornness of the Military High Command. Imports and production at a standstill, the enemy on the doorstep, no control over their own national airspace, etc. The factors would have to be "weighted" so that more of one could balance less of another (to allow for variations of strategy).

Once such a "balance" is worked out, then you would have to allow for the variables created by the different starting options. Those favoring the Japanese (PDU on and such) would lengthen the time available; those favoring the Allies (working US torpedoes and the like) would shorten the time available. Overall, the pressure on the Japanese player would be to maintain a viable national entity for as long as possible..., and for the Allies to cause it's collapse as soon as possible.

I have trouble quantifying such things because I really don't think in such terms. I KNOW when I've done well..., and I KNOW when my opponant has made me feel frustraited. I don't even generally pay any attention to "victory conditions" because I have my own ideas of what I'm trying to do. In the one game of AE I've completed, I was totally surprised when I suddenly saw the announcement of GAME OVER. I had a number of operations underway that would have taken a month or more to come to fruition. It was almost dissapointing.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/18/2011 5:49:29 AM)

quote:

"Putting me on the spot"? OK, that's fair enough. I think any rational victory conditions whould have to be based on those obtaining when the actual historical event took place. Obviously not "exactly" the same conditions, but the same generally hopeless situation the Japanese were facing when reality overcame the stubbornness of the Military High Command. Imports and production at a standstill, the enemy on the doorstep, no control over their own national airspace, etc. The factors would have to be "weighted" so that more of one could balance less of another (to allow for variations of strategy).

I have trouble quantifying such things because I really don't think in such terms. I KNOW when I've done well..., and I KNOW when my opponant has made me feel frustraited. I don't even generally pay any attention to "victory conditions" because I have my own ideas of what I'm trying to do. In the one game of AE I've completed, I was totally surprised when I suddenly saw the announcement of GAME OVER. I had a number of operations underway that would have taken a month or more to come to fruition. It was almost dissapointing.

OK, fair enough. It sounds like a workable system, if perhaps a bit difficult to explain in the manual to beginners. I do wonder if hewing to historical conditions might cause the Allied player to weigh his strategy to meet the demands of the victory scoring weights--more industrial destruction and less geographic gains for example. But it could work.

I also noticed you seemed to assume a priori that the Japanese would be on the defensive by 1945. If there were no AV, how does the hyper-aggressive and hyper-successful Japanese player win? By staying that way all the way to 1945?

Final note--I think this system would really require both sides to control production, else the Allies would have little hope of taking air control away.

And I seem to be pretty different than most AE players in that I do play to win. I always play games to win, not only, or primarily, for the experience. Why I guess a year of pointless moves after the thing was decided would drive me crazy. In all my life I've never finished a game of Monopoly either.

mike scholl 1 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/18/2011 10:47:04 AM)

quote:

OK, fair enough. It sounds like a workable system, if perhaps a bit difficult to explain in the manual to beginners. I do wonder if hewing to historical conditions might cause the Allied player to weigh his strategy to meet the demands of the victory scoring weights--more industrial destruction and less geographic gains for example. But it could work.

I also noticed you seemed to assume a priori that the Japanese would be on the defensive by 1945. If there were no AV, how does the hyper-aggressive and hyper-successful Japanese player win? By staying that way all the way to 1945?

Final note--I think this system would really require both sides to control production, else the Allies would have little hope of taking air control away.

And I seem to be pretty different than most AE players in that I do play to win. I always play games to win, not only, or primarily, for the experience. Why? I guess a year of pointless moves after the thing was decided would drive me crazy. In all my life I've never finished a game of Monopoly either.

Not much sense in playing to lose..., but the overall situation in THIS conflict was such that one side never had a chance of "winning" in the normally accepted sense. Wasn't even a part of their most optimistic war aims. So if the game is an accurate historical potrayal of the War in the Pacific, then "How Long Can the Japanese Player Drag It Out?" would HAVE to be the only realistic "victory condition".

From a historical perspective, I'd like to see the system allow neither player "production". It's too subject to player exploitation. But it would be fun to have as an "option" along with the others.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/18/2011 4:56:44 PM)

quote:

Not much sense in playing to lose..., but the overall situation in THIS conflict was such that one side never had a chance of "winning" in the normally accepted sense. Wasn't even a part of their most optimistic war aims. So if the game is an accurate historical potrayal of the War in the Pacific, then "How Long Can the Japanese Player Drag It Out?" would HAVE to be the only realistic "victory condition".

From a historical perspective, I'd like to see the system allow neither player "production". It's too subject to player exploitation. But it would be fun to have as an "option" along with the others.

I think we've beaten this one to the ground, yet again. [:)] Victory conditions seem to be a big topic with AE players, and a real minefield if ever there is a WITP2.

I'll just add one more coda, and you can respond if you like.

Your post above illustrates what is perhaps the biggest break-point amongst players--the "historical" line of argument. If you assume, as you seem to, that the game is on some degree of historical rails (clearly in OOB, technology, very top-line economics, etc., it is), then victory conditions which swerve from that history might be distasteful, or "wrong." WWII ended in August 1945 due to a confluence of millions of decisions and random events, but AE's designers did keep to WITP's ahistorical early-mid 1946 end-date, although some theorists have posited a later end if Downfall had been needed. They also kept AV, which folds in the ideas you presented yesterday, that a side being thouroughly beaten on some combo of geographical loss, unit loss, and strategic capability loss (although not in your ratios or favored scale) should end the war earlier than history.

As Alfred added (twice) AV can be ignored in PBEM if it is achieved, although your point that its very presence makes players act in ways they would not otherwise act has great merit IMO.

However, in your proposed system of yesterday I think you couldn't help yourself from taking on the role of an Allied player. There, and again above, you assume that the Japanese must be beaten to a pulp by that historical date, and the main issue is deciding the score ratios used to assugn a final condition label.

But stand in the shoes of the game designer for a moment. He must design an end-game model which works for any and all eventualities.

Case 1: The Allied player romps, crushes, and destroys the Japanese pretty quickly. By mid-1943 the Japanese player has no ability to really resist. As I understand your proposal, however, since no AV would be allowed, both players would have to go through the tedious motions until the summer of 1945 to have the code assign a win condition. If that is an incorrect understanding of mine, then the result is that AV WOULD be allowed, but only for the Allies? Overall, it seems to me that your Allied-centric game view would allow the game to end as soon as the Japanese were prostrate? Against this view, however, one must place your view that history controls, and in that light we have one, and only one, historical record where the summer of 1945, with all its accessories--Soviet war declaration, B-29 bombing, VE Day, and the A-Bomb--was the date when the Japanese surrendered. The set of conditions short of the historical record which might have motivated a surrender will always be the subject of lively debate. The current designers have chosen a 30,000-foot view using VPs gained from a variety of sources, and AV on a strictly B&W, quantitative basis. When Japan is beaten by a 4:1, 3:1, or 2:1 ratio, history changes.

Case 2: This is much harder, but necessary from the designer's POV. How do the Japanese win? Yes, they could simply survive to August 1945, or January 1946, or April 1946, or some other later, extremely historically-subjective date. At that time your system of measurement could be applied. I assume it would be possible for them to still lose although they "survived" in a political sense, if the values assigned to geography, units, and strategic damage went against them. Some, but not all, players would be OK with that. "Doing better than history" has become a sort of shorthand here for a spiritual JFB win condition, despite what the code says. But I'm sure an end state when Japan did better and still lost would enrage some JFBs. Balancing your loss value system would be a nice trick.

The real sticking point, call it Case 2(a), is when Japan romps early and often. A designer has to take up this scenario in the model. Right now AV solves the issue cleanly and transparently. Do away with AV though and you have, IMO, a real design dilemma. Say a superior JFB is up against the rankest of beginners. Not optimal, but again, the system has to handle all eventualities. Say the Japanese, by mid-1943, take the entire map west of CONUS/Canada. To make it easier, assume production is the same as curently. The Japanese can't stop US and Canadian units being delivered to remaining Allied bases, but OTOH Japan has total control of the economy of Asia and Oz, and there are no other Allied nations alive except the US and Canada. Every Japanese asset can be focused on the longitude of PH, and east. Since there is no AV, garrison requirements in the Japanese sphere are pretty meaningless too, although there might be supply flow and economic disruption. (If this had happened IRL I think Japan would have used gas or any other means to suppress dissent, but that's another can of worms.) Regardless, in the summer of 1943, the above is the tableau. How does the designer handle that?

He could make the "historical" argument that the US would never seek peace with Japan under any circumstances, baking in our timeline's events which likely would not be operative in that world (what would be the ETO situation if Britain had lost 100% of its forces in Asia and the Pacific? And what US contribution would there have been if the PTO had gone this disasterously wrong? Keeping to our history in this case might be a terrible design decision.) Regardless, the designer is left with the problem of what to do. Force the players to keep moving US forces off the WC for two more years, trying to batter out a PH landing? Is that a good game? This is the core question that designer has to consider. It's a game for sale by Matrix at the end of the day. If you don't allow the Japanese to "win" in mid-1943 with this set of facts, and instead hew to a history which does not exist in that game, you've made a poor product IMO. AV is necessary in that case to address the majority of players who would find those next two years of moves excrutiating.

That said, I'm not opposed to allowing set-up options which disallow AV in any circumstances, for those players who don't mind the prospect of playing Bambi vs. Godzilla. I'd play with AV on, but I understand there are those who wouldn't. I would, however, resist those who call for AV to be removed for everyone, out of a sense of historic purity or because it allows one side to play for an early win at the risk of resignation.

mike scholl 1 -> RE: SLC = 15K VP? (6/18/2011 6:39:08 PM)

quote:

quote:

I think we've beaten this one to the ground, yet again. [:)] Victory conditions seem to be a big topic with AE players, and a real minefield if ever there is a WITP2.

I'll just add one more coda, and you can respond if you like.

Your post above illustrates what is perhaps the biggest break-point amongst players--the "historical" line of argument. If you assume, as you seem to, that the game is on some degree of historical rails (clearly in OOB, technology, very top-line economics, etc., it is), then victory conditions which swerve from that history might be distasteful, or "wrong." WWII ended in August 1945 due to a confluence of millions of decisions and random events, but AE's designers did keep to WITP's ahistorical early-mid 1946 end-date, although some theorists have posited a later end if Downfall had been needed. They also kept AV, which folds in the ideas you presented yesterday, that a side being thouroughly beaten on some combo of geographical loss, unit loss, and strategic capability loss (although not in your ratios or favored scale) should end the war earlier than history.

If folks decide to play a game called THE WAR IN THE PACIFIC, I can only assume that they're interested in playing the historical campaign in the Pacific. That's what the basic game should be..., the historical War in the Pacific just as accurately as it can be simulated. After that you can add in all the bells and whistles and what ifs and totally absurds players can dream up. And the victory conditions should be able to handle all of the varients...

It's always fun argueing with you "Bull". You can present a different point of view and defend it without things getting ugly.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI