What's Your 'Secret Weapon'? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

AbsntMndedProf -> What's Your 'Secret Weapon'? (10/11/2002 8:48:29 AM)

When playing your favorite nation, which unit/weapon gives you that extra 'oomph' when added to your force?

I promise not to tell anybody! :D

For me, I like cavalry. They're fast, mobile, and don't get assaulted when they stumble onto enemy infantry the way AFVs do. ;)

Eric Maietta

Katana -> (10/11/2002 12:12:20 PM)

You'll see...
Hopefully...

Don't have A favourite nation, but for extra oomph I like AA guns or derivatives (eg 88mm). Big stationary guns to deal with armour, light, mobile, multi-barrelled stuff fo soft targets (quad .50, moebelwagen)

Jacc -> (10/11/2002 4:34:04 PM)

Finnish 350mm coast artillery fortress is nice, if you only can afford one. It effectively deals with both tanks and infantry, often with tremendous results.

I really like Jagdpanther. Fast, great gun, even decently armoured. Sometimes they have been my last issue and the tool to victory. However, there is nothing which compares to heavy artillery. Jesh!

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (10/11/2002 7:59:33 PM)

Heavy artillery heavy artillery heavy artillery.

After that, the rest of my forces are just used to clean up the mess:)

Although I have learned, heavy artillery must be used with more finesse against human opponents.

I have also learned smoke is more effective than HE. You can't get shot if they can't see you. Works wonders for going places without regard to movement.

Gary Tatro -> Umm don't mean to sound pomp (10/11/2002 8:15:46 PM)

But I would say planning, tacktics, and troops with good experience and moral.

Favorite nation-Soviets, don't really know why but I just like playing them.

panda124c -> Re: Umm don't mean to sound pomp (10/12/2002 1:51:28 AM)

Motorcyclist they can run up to those AT guns, mortors, NOT MG's and kill them.
ATGs the best answer to the tank.
HMGs the best answer to infantry.

Fallschirmjager -> (10/12/2002 2:42:39 AM)

Prayer.

Capt. Pixel -> (10/12/2002 2:46:44 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
[B]Prayer. [/B][/QUOTE]

And a 'Wing' ;)

troopie -> (10/12/2002 12:18:42 PM)

155mm arty and well trained infantry. HMGs on defence.

troopie

Supervisor -> (10/13/2002 2:02:11 AM)

Engineers with FT's. They are great against anything within 3 hexes away, and a well placed ATG can ruin your opponents day.

bigtroutz -> (10/13/2002 4:09:23 AM)

rockets, esp brit land mattress and usa 4.5"
also heavy ob arty

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (10/13/2002 6:24:05 PM)

Some weapons are great against an AI yet worthless against a human opponent.

I have played a few games where I bought nothing but 88s with support points to go with my 4 88s of my core force.

I position my armour on ridges and then string out the 88s.

In most cases I set up my infantry in the same way you string out theater seating.

The AI enemy just drives into massed 88s to total oblivion.

Now that trick would fall flat if used against me. I would just carpet the 88s with a massive barrage of smoke and make it so they were of no value.

I therefore think, that it's not weapon damage that counts, but weapon performance that matters.

I have noticed for instance, that 150s and 75s are best for artillery. 150s on defense because you can hit em with smoke or he, and 75s on attack, because they seem to have a better smoke coverage somehow.

tracer -> (10/14/2002 12:35:48 AM)

Large caliber assault guns. Throw a round or two of 95/105/150mm in there before you advance...you'll get guaranteed suppression and usually kills, even in adjacent hexes. If your opponent isn't in your LOS, z-firing at an adjacent hex does the job too. And unlike arty there's no rally attempt before your units come crashing in :D

Hades -> (10/14/2002 12:45:47 AM)

IS tanks. Nothing beats them unless you get lucky, and they kill just about anything. I once played a game where 4 IS-2s held the center Vhexs against a swarm of Tigers and Elephants. Slowly they got knocked out, but thanks o my katayusha the Tigers very got those hexs.

sandman20 -> (10/14/2002 1:06:42 AM)

I like Machine Gun, which is well hided.For example russians 12.7mm makes bad damage to infantry when firing about 10 hexes distance.:)

Jacc -> (10/14/2002 1:28:26 AM)

75mmPaK40. Place a few of these just behind your lines, and they can cause quite a havoc in attacking tank armadas. MG42 is a excellent choice in every situation likely to involve infantry - however, it's capability is seriously hindered in cities or rough terrain.
And of course there is a one thing which works against AI - masses of panzerfausts/bazookas/schrecks or any other AT teams. Just place these between enemy attack lines and VHs, and AI geniously rushes it's armour to certain doom. Also, the legendary "scores of 88" works just fine against it. AI sux.:(

rlc27 -> (10/14/2002 2:54:19 AM)

Paratroopers, when they deliver to where they are supposed to go and have a little time to get ready. Nothing freaks people out like a well defended position in their rear echelons.

Katana -> (10/14/2002 2:59:23 AM)

rlc27,
Yeah, but how often does that happen?

rlc27 -> (10/14/2002 3:21:28 AM)

Katana,

Well, not very often--but it's really, really fun when it DOES. Too bad there's no way to airdrop a platoon of Panthers :D

Hades -> (10/14/2002 3:23:56 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rlc27
[B]Katana,

Well, not very often--but it's really, really fun when it DOES. Too bad there's no way to airdrop a platoon of Panthers :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Four to beam down.. Energize!

Katana -> (10/14/2002 3:45:47 AM)

He dropped his shields :eek:
Overload disuptors! Full alpha strike. Fire!!

Uh, wrong game :rolleyes:

rlc27 -> (10/14/2002 3:47:51 AM)

Panthers armed with Diamond Shot, no less. Or perhaps dilithium crystals.

"She canna take much more of this, capitan!"

tracer -> (10/14/2002 4:44:58 AM)

[B]
"She canna take much more of this, capitan!" [/B][/QUOTE]

Shouldn't that be "She canna take much more of this, hauptman"? :D

rlc27 -> (10/14/2002 5:33:19 AM)

Usually, it's "This is all the Colonel's fault!"

Star Panthers, Episode 2: The Wrath of Bill :rolleyes:

jleknes -> (10/14/2002 2:07:08 PM)

Flamethrower tanks :D
They wreck havoc on everything they meet.....
Pop smoke, send in a few scouts and let the mobile grill bars sort em out!

Belisarius -> (10/15/2002 2:28:53 AM)

[B]Usually, it's "This is all the Colonel's fault!"

Star Panthers, Episode 2: The Wrath of Bill :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

"I have a baad feeling about this"...

"Use the mines, Luke!" :D

"Sir, the possibility of navigating a battlefield in a Wild Bill scenario and not hit a mine is approximately 3,720 to 1!" :D :D

My 'secret' weapon right now would be a PzIIIj. I have not seen a more effective infantry killer, its 50mm seems to kill more troops than any larger calibre gun. That, combined with two MGs makes it lethal in any infantry CS role.

rlc27 -> (10/15/2002 2:38:08 AM)

*BOOM*

"Another mine! But I was just going to Victory Hex Alpha to pick up some space converters!"

Another secret weapon of mine, though it will no doubt elicit groans, has got to be the Jagdtiger, at least on defense. That gun, that gun... It's like the Death Star--invulnerable to everything up to a battleship's guns, but surprisingly vulnerable to a small group of fighters who happen to get a lucky hit...

Luke, a US Army Ranger:
"Only a 2 percent chance the Jagdtiger!"
"Use the Force, Luke."

Infantry Unit Assaulting with Satchel Charge.
KABOOM!

:eek:

rlc27 -> (10/15/2002 11:04:09 AM)

Other secret weapons:

Several whiskey sours or strawberry daquiris, on me. (for a date).

In another case:

3 beef n' bean enchiladas with extra hot sauce (useful for getting rid of a date). :confused: :eek:

AbsntMndedProf -> (10/15/2002 11:52:40 PM)

GMenFan posted:

"a well placed ATG can ruin your opponents day."

I learned that the hard way against two well placed 3 inch DP guns, much to my KG's regret!
:rolleyes:

Eric Maietta

Svennemir -> (10/19/2002 12:10:55 AM)

Timing and concentration of force. If lots of units can attack in the same turn and at full speed at one point the enemy won't ever know what hit them (unless they watch the replay of course).

It's not so important exactly which types of units participate, but an intense artillery barrage just before the assault is an excellent preparation. Of course the smoke makes it possible for the enemy to hide quite well - this is the greatest problem here. Some well-trained scout infantry might be the best way to spot enemy units afterwards.

The whole operation must be fast, otherwise the enemy will have time to concentrate artillery fire at the spearhead, and this will slow the operation further.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI