Your First Matrix Game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

GaryChildress -> Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 3:52:55 AM)

What was your first Matrix game?

Mine was Uncommon Valor. I actually bought it at CompUSA. I had seen rave reviews for it and since Joel Billings of SSI fame was involved I decided to get it. I tried looking for War in the Pacific at CompUSA when it came out but they didn't have it. IIRC that's what led me to the Matrix Games website.

ilovestrategy -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 3:56:41 AM)

I saw this unkown game called Gary Grigsby's World at War by an obscure company named Matrix games at a big shot store named Best Buy. I've been hooked ever since. 

jomni -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 4:31:08 AM)

SPWAW

n01487477 -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 4:45:52 AM)

Grigsby's "Carrier Strike and PacWar" as well as QQP "WWII: battles in the South Pacific" and SSI's "Carrier" series got me hooked into Pacific War style games.

But actually I missed the boat on a few games by a few years due to living down-under. Stores had a virtual monopoly on what could and couldn't be imported. Most stores would hardly ever carry a grog strategy game let alone a Gary Grigsby title. Matrix games is & was virtually still unknown in that part of the world... But I guess my antipodean brethren that I see here now are becoming more prevalent.

If I had known there was UV I would have bought it from Day1. I didn't and it wasn't until years after the release of Witp that I finally stumbled on the game and web site after wanting to get back into PacWar. Bought it the same day with not so much as a twitch about the price... For some reason software in Oz has always been expensive - (I still have game boxes from the 80's with average prices $79-)

Anyway, digital distribution is at least opening up some borders but word of mouth in different forums has started to attract more gamers here; to the Matrix family.

So years later, I've played PBEM's, worked on mods, helped code witptracker and witptracker-ae, become virtual mates with a few guys and now visit the site a bit too much. The new guys coming to the site are full of enthusiasm and are pushing things along well ... so even witp-ae forum burn-out eventually subsides and I feel like testing and playing again.

I've even started programming a "carrier strike" replica which probably will never see the light of day ...

Thanks Matrix and thanks to the forum members.

Cheers

sterckxe -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 7:53:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

The free stuff of course [:D]

SPWAW and War in Russia.

First game I bought from them was Highway to the Reich - been hooked on the Panther Games engine ever since

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

spelk -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 8:01:59 AM)

My first was Titans of Steel.

terje439 -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 8:41:11 AM)

Uncommon Valor picked up for 10$ in a bargain bin. Kinda stuck here since...

Terje

Perturabo -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 10:15:41 AM)

CCMT.

Matto -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 10:22:41 AM)

Campaign Series ... but it was from Talonsoft ... so really first from Matrix was Uncommon Valor

Jevhaddah -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 12:00:01 PM)

Uncommon Valor, picked it up for a fiver in Pissy Wurlde[:D]

Cheers

Jev

mikkey -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 12:07:17 PM)

my first Matrix game was Massive Assault, later CAW, WitP, EDtBtR, WitP AE...

Joe D. -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 3:55:51 PM)

quote:

Mine was Uncommon Valor ...

UV was the "gateway drug" to matrix; I bought my copy at Electronics Boutique

a7v -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 5:22:11 PM)

WIR (with production [;)]), PACWAR and Steel Panthers as SP2WW2 (when it first appeared on "Thegamers.net" in the late nineties), later of course UV and WITP...

Best regards

Rainer

warspite1 -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 7:04:30 PM)

Sadly it was Empires In Arms........[:(]

ezzler -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 8:01:02 PM)

Uncommon Valor.
Loved it.

Since then its invariably been picking the wrong title.
titans of steel, Hornet Leader.
And what was that sci-fi, card based game that was unplayable?

Each time I think its time to depart Matrix forever something manages to grab. GGWAW did.
And now Panzer Corp of course.

AbeSimpson -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 8:10:16 PM)

Uncommon Valor [8D]

sabre1 -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 9:34:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

The free stuff of course [:D]

SPWAW and War in Russia.

First game I bought from them was Highway to the Reich - been hooked on the Panther Games engine ever since

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Same for me.

Alan Sharif -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 9:56:13 PM)

Battles in Normandy was mine, if memory serves.

parusski -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 10:04:27 PM)

SPWAW of course.

Greybriar -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 10:59:21 PM)

I heard of Matrix because they were giving away Steel Panthers World at War, which I downloaded and played for quite awhile. Their generosity gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling and I've had a spot in my heart for Matrix ever since. How many other PC gaming companies give their games to gamers for free?

parusski -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/1/2011 11:11:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I heard of Matrix because they were giving away Steel Panthers World at War, which I downloaded and played for quite awhile. Their generosity gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling and I've had a spot in my heart for Matrix ever since. How many other PC gaming companies give their games to gamers for free?

Same here.

rhondabrwn -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/2/2011 5:15:41 AM)

After the free stuff (Steel Panthers World at War, I think) I believe my first paid Matrix game was War in the Pacific. It had just been released when I found the website (by accident).

Gilmer -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/2/2011 1:06:44 PM)

War in Russia and PacWar, if you can actually say that. I bought both when they first came out and while searching for them online for information about them, I cam across the Matrix website. Based on when I registered them, I think Forge of Freedom was my first.

I got a little confused between War in the Pacific and Pacwar and when I realized it was a remake, I bought it.

But, hell, I can't really remember what I bought first. I've bought a lot.

Anguille -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/2/2011 2:23:19 PM)

Uncommon Valour too

DOCUP -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/3/2011 10:22:33 AM)

WITPAE  and its the best game of its kind.  Can't put it down to play or buy anything else.

doc

greykemp@gmail.com -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/3/2011 5:55:39 PM)

Actually, PC is my first Matrix game.... because I already have the EARLY versions of all GG's games.
Now that I've found the place I'll probably ruin my budget for the year and start replacing all the early stuff running under DOS box with the newer Matrix remakes.

[&o]

sapper32 -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/3/2011 9:58:51 PM)

TOAW III was my first matrix game and bought a few since not sure which one to go for next.

rjh1971 -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/3/2011 10:53:20 PM)

Gary Grigsby's World at War, then got hooked as alpha/beta tester for Gary's games.

Perturabo -> RE: Your First Matrix Game (8/3/2011 11:51:59 PM)

I just realised it was Steel Panthers World At War in 2001. I got it on a cover CD. I didn't even know that Matrix Games exists back then.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI