RE: How long to build a base? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

rustysi -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/10/2020 4:37:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_USN

Is there a list of what size ports can rearm ships minus Aux ships?

quote:

Yes, in the manual....GP

quote:

Who cares if it is, it would go along nicely with this thread. Not like we are going to fill up the internet.

Dude, kinda rude reply. Its not like is a one line answer. And BTW you were given the answer, but if you need more...

Manual, 20.1.2.2, pp 284-288.

Scott_USN -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/10/2020 6:28:24 PM)

Was rude to rude. Didn't know discussion was bad for a discussion board.

We are not in the manual we are on a forum, it is a good thread and to add to that thread would be rearming and repair ability. Air base impacts on groups etc etc etc. Why not just answer everything with "its in the manual" Why even start this thread building bases "is in the manual" regardless of the engineer testing.

btd64 -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/10/2020 6:38:39 PM)

quote:

We are not in the manual we are on a forum, it is a good thread and to add to that thread would be rearming and repair ability. Air base impacts on groups etc etc etc. Why not just answer everything with "its in the manual" Why even start this thread building bases "is in the manual" regardless of the engineer testing.

Most questions can be answered in the manual. I was not near my computer at the time, or my copy of the manual. I was not rude to you. But I could be if you want me to be. This game is very involved. It is important to read the manual....GP

Scott_USN -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/10/2020 6:43:13 PM)

Its important to share information on a forum designed for sharing information. You being rude is not going to effect my day on any level not even a blip on my radar. Everything is in the manual who cares, maybe people want to talk about it.

I mean coronavirus is in the news, do we really need threads about it? Why not I don't care.

RangerJoe -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/10/2020 7:41:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

Most questions can be answered in the manual. I was not near my computer at the time, or my copy of the manual. I was not rude to you. But I could be if you want me to be. This game is very involved. It is important to read the manual....GP

Then once you have played the game, reread the manual or at least sections of it.

Also, there is a thread somewhere where someone did the grunt work on how long it takes to build bases depending upon the potential size of the base and the number of engineers.

No, I will not look it up for you.

HansBolter -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/10/2020 8:48:27 PM)

The best answer is to do it and learn for yourself how long it takes.

Most of the game can be played effectively by implementing generalized rules of thumb learned through experience WITHOUT having to crunch numbers in an attempt at min/maxxing every order.

In fact, most Gary Grigsby games, this one included, are designed to frustrate efforts at min/maxxing by calculation.
Gary introduces many, many variables for the very purpose of frustrating those kinds of efforts to guarantee outcomes.

BBfanboy -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/10/2020 9:18:06 PM)

quote:

Its important to share information on a forum designed for sharing information. You being rude is not going to effect my day on any level not even a blip on my radar. Everything is in the manual who cares, maybe people want to talk about it.

I mean coronavirus is in the news, do we really need threads about it? Why not I don't care.

A lot of work has been done on this forum to provide additional information above and beyond the manual or to clarify the manual if a player finds it confusing.
What is annoying is to have a new player make no effort to find the information and just "task" the forum members to find it for them. I have no problem helping someone who indicates they have made an effort and describes the steps they took, but if they have not even tried, I feel like they are imposing on me.

Some years ago I had a player contact me by PM for help with starting a GC. He had not even tried the shorter scenarios to familiarize with game mechanics.
I had given my e-mail address so that larger files could be shared and I even installed DBB (which I was not playing) so I could load the saved game file he sent. I looked over the situation and sent my advice on what was needed. He replied with a welter of questions about dozens of bases and situations. I answered a few and gave some risk/benefit comments on the rest and told him to decide for himself. When he started asking about relocating individual air units and such I told him I thought that was hand holding and would not help further, that he should make his own decisions and see how they play out.

He sent several e-mails after which I did not reply to so that he would have to figure some things out for himself. He disappeared from the forum at that point, perhaps gave up the game. I know this game is not for people who cannot make decisions and live with the consequences, so if he did not have the ability I do not feel bad if he did give up the game. If he did stick with it and just is not on the forum, I applaud his achievement in getting to a point where he could play without leaning too much on others.

This game is much too advanced for people who want everything handed to them. I understand why some members get a bit curt with newbies.

Scott_USN -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/11/2020 4:09:29 AM)

Who wants anything handed to them? I have been playing since 1995 with PACWAR, discussing things is not handing something to someone. I know level 7 port can rearm but I was talking with new people to the game and thought this was a good place to discuss that. Talking about the game is the point of this forum or expanding on the subject topic should not lead to "read the manual". They bumped this thread for a reason. To discuss the game. So if we posted the rearming question which I thought was a good question because I understand how hard it is to get into this game. The game is so advanced it needs discussions like I tried to make, I didn't need the manual I was just trying to advanced the thread for new players.

The work people have done is amazing, Kull work! I mean come on. Don't help people if you don't want to BB I am not sure what your post was supposed to mean. Holding his hand? Come on man it is a game.

BBfanboy -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/11/2020 5:15:32 AM)

quote:

Who wants anything handed to them? I have been playing since 1995 with PACWAR, discussing things is not handing something to someone. I know level 7 port can rearm but I was talking with new people to the game and thought this was a good place to discuss that. Talking about the game is the point of this forum or expanding on the subject topic should not lead to "read the manual". They bumped this thread for a reason. To discuss the game. So if we posted the rearming question which I thought was a good question because I understand how hard it is to get into this game. The game is so advanced it needs discussions like I tried to make, I didn't need the manual I was just trying to advanced the thread for new players.

The work people have done is amazing, Kull work! I mean come on. Don't help people if you don't want to BB I am not sure what your post was supposed to mean. Holding his hand? Come on man it is a game.

The point is, he was asking me to do work that he should do. To do what he asked would require considerable research on my part to get all the details and describe it to him. I had other demands on my time and was not willing to do that and told him so but he persisted.

It became like a kid whining from the couch that his parents should do his chores. I like being helpful to people when they get stuck, but I don't like it when I feel people are taking undue advantage of my good nature. It doesn't matter if it is related to a game or some other pursuit.

CaptBeefheart -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/11/2020 5:40:37 AM)

Look what I found on my work computer (don't tell my IT guy...wait, I'm the IT guy):

Cheers,
CB

[image]local://upfiles/9475/F116DF57065D42F5B1843EED47176792.jpg[/image]

alanschu -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/11/2020 4:13:54 PM)

It's a very handy guide. Knowing I can use Tulagi as a raider base without needing AE/AKE ships present is a good to know for the Solomon campaign.

rustysi -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/11/2020 8:03:32 PM)

quote:

Everything is in the manual who cares

No it ain't baby. Not in this game.

quote:

Also, there is a thread somewhere where someone did the grunt work on how long it takes to build bases depending upon the potential size of the base and the number of engineers.

Yeah, it in this thread. D'oh.[:D]

rustysi -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/11/2020 8:10:47 PM)

The point is the answer to your question is too involved to give a simple answer. If you want the simple answer its 'it depends'. The answer you sought is in the manual, and you were told specifically where to find it. Read it, don't read it, I care not. Buhbye.[:)]

Scott_USN -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/12/2020 3:42:23 AM)

I am an IT guy also, read and printed the manual years ago. The answer is this a forum if you don't know what that is look it up in the internet manual.

Scott_USN -> RE: How long to build a base? (3/12/2020 3:46:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Yeah, it in this thread. D'oh.[:D]

Exactly the place to discuss what each level of Port and Air Fields mean for players. Is not even complicated.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI