RE: THE THREAD!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 4:06:34 PM)

TIME

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 4:14:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

Very nice Jeff! [:)]

BTW, I still have at least 10+ locomotives, 20+ wagon cars and all infrastructure (50 meters of track, electrical switches) in HO size...

Very cool! What livery are the locomotives?

European and USA.

I even have 1940's steam locomotive (with actual water tank so that steam can be made)!

Most of the stuff I had were bought in Germany, Austria and Italy but some was made locally in company called "Mehanotehnika" in former Yugoslavia (now Slovenia).

My father and I used to build the track on Friday and we finished by Saturday (we build it all over our apartment). On Sunday we had to dismantle it (no room for permanent storage - although at one time we thought about big 4 x 5 meters table suspended on ceiling by pulleys but my mother killed that idea instantly worrying that it might drop on someone incidentally)...

This all was about 30 years ago but I still have all the things safely stored in one big wardrobe (with all my other toys)...

Leo "Apollo11"

I've toyed with that idea as well... wife killed it instantly.

You probably already have this. Historic Railroad catalog. I get it every so often with Military Issue and Historic Aviation Catalogs. One of the guys here at the office gets Historic Railroad. He is also a buff.

If you don't get the catalog. You could call the military Issue number and get on thier mailing list. 1.800.989.1945. Some pretty cool locomotives. Some over $400.00. I thought I was crazy with my die-cast collection. But you railroad buffs. I tip my hat off to you.[&o]

Gas again down 3.09 9/10. Cool.[8D]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 4:19:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

May would be a better time. Before the mosquitoes come out in force. Some are as big as turkeys and been known to carry off small children and livestock.

[image]local://upfiles/27311/2F42404BD5EB49B8ABE99DF2A46BC3CD.jpg[/image]

Ah yes. Uncle Fred. I note the family resemblance...[;)]

The Minnesota State Bird! [:D]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 4:32:37 PM)

quote:

For you model railroaders out there....

My father, little brother, and I are building his 4th layout now, and going all out on this... down to every last detail, you name it, and we’ll have it.

We're still blocking off all of the track so that we can run our engines that we have NOT converted to DCC... we have around 100 left to convert... and it's about $15-20 per engine.. And I only have so much time [:)]

He models the steam to diesel transition era from when he was growing up in Western Kansas, big territory of the ATSF.... (Now the BNSF to those of you who are curious)... Mainly the old “Zebra” livery…

My rolling stock is basically zero... I switched from N to HO last year, and sold all of my N Scale, so I am starting over in HO... Mainly working on MKT (the ol' Katy), Cotton Belt, ATSF, UP, and then I custom paint a local short line, K&O (Kansas & Oklahoma, who has a nice, very "modelable" yard in McPherson, where we just moved from). My little brother, who is still around working on his masters, models modern era BNSF coal runs from the mountains, and Northern Pacific - Burlington Northern... pre mergers...We're both big James Hill fans...

However, it’s our layout, and if we want to run a modern day auto carrier with a 4-8-8-4… then we can, that is the best thing about it… haha

And yes.. that is little brother in this first clip...

[image]local://upfiles/27311/19D7AF1BBF6D410AA9C682D45C99C79C.jpg[/image]

I'm a sucker for yard scenes. [8D]

One day, I'll have the space to build a great layout....and the time....and the money. [:D]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 4:32:56 PM)

quote:

My favorite little boy doing what him and "papa" (my father) enjoy most....

Every night after supper he wants to go see them...

"Papa...choo choo....mhmm" (nods head)

[image]local://upfiles/27311/20B05BC9D5C64091B1FEC1424DD2AE11.jpg[/image]

Awesome shot! [8D]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 4:39:50 PM)

Good late morning - Tithe. [&o][&o][&o]

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 4:41:23 PM)

quote:

Per, you trying to make some extra income before the Holidays? [;)]

From Minnesota Public Radio:

Last week, customs officers arrested a butter smuggler with 90 kilograms (200 pounds) stashed away in his car when he crossed the border from Sweden. Hawkers have been offering Swedish butter on the Internet for 400 kroner a kilogram ($32 a pound) — about six times the normal shop price.

Yeah, saw that in one of the evening papers ... wish I had thought of that first [:D]

Actually, there has been a followup on this. Apparentely, some enterprising dudes put up some butter on an norwegian auction site ... and got paid close to triple the amount you stated! [X(] Don't know if it's true or not. Could do some research, but why spoil a good story? [;)]

Norwegians ... [sm=crazy.gif][:'(]

Edited; Language incompability.

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 4:41:30 PM)

quote:

TIME

[&o]

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 5:45:08 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

Very nice Jeff! [:)]

BTW, I still have at least 10+ locomotives, 20+ wagon cars and all infrastructure (50 meters of track, electrical switches) in HO size...

Very cool! What livery are the locomotives?

European and USA.

I even have 1940's steam locomotive (with actual water tank so that steam can be made)!

Most of the stuff I had were bought in Germany, Austria and Italy but some was made locally in company called "Mehanotehnika" in former Yugoslavia (now Slovenia).

My father and I used to build the track on Friday and we finished by Saturday (we build it all over our apartment). On Sunday we had to dismantle it (no room for permanent storage - although at one time we thought about big 4 x 5 meters table suspended on ceiling by pulleys but my mother killed that idea instantly worrying that it might drop on someone incidentally)...

This all was about 30 years ago but I still have all the things safely stored in one big wardrobe (with all my other toys)...

Leo "Apollo11"

I've toyed with that idea as well... wife killed it instantly.

You probably already have this. Historic Railroad catalog. I get it every so often with Military Issue and Historic Aviation Catalogs. One of the guys here at the office gets Historic Railroad. He is also a buff.

If you don't get the catalog. You could call the military Issue number and get on thier mailing list. 1.800.989.1945. Some pretty cool locomotives. Some over $400.00. I thought I was crazy with my die-cast collection. But you railroad buffs. I tip my hat off to you.[&o]

Gas again down 3.09 9/10. Cool.[8D]

Currently I receive... (monthly)...
Model Railroader
North & South
Civil War
WWII
Fine Scale Modeler

I'm a nerd...[:D]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 6:17:07 PM)

I am also a nerd. And a geek. I have about 50 die-casts and mahogany models. From about $20.00 up to $1,200.00.
Laying back on buying for now. Which okay because I need to reorganize the spaces in the basement, den and library. I really like the 1/350 scale USS Lexington (Essex-class) on the mantle.

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 7:04:36 PM)

quote:

I am also a nerd. And a geek. I have about 50 die-casts and mahogany models. From about $20.00 up to $1,200.00.
Laying back on buying for now. Which okay because I need to reorganize the spaces in the basement, den and library. I really like the 1/350 scale USS Lexington (Essex-class) on the mantle.

[sm=00001746.gif]

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 7:21:45 PM)

Good night friends [>:]

nashvillen -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 7:24:13 PM)

If anyone is in the Nashville area and wants to see the layout in Nolensville that I referenced earlier, just PM me and I will make arrangements for such. We are happy to show it off on an appointment basis. We can't do a general open to the public due to our zoning. The zoning does not allow general public showings. But, we can get away with by appointment only as we call it showing the layout to prospective members.

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 7:26:59 PM)

I love modeling of anything and to any scale. Railroads are cool, but I like wooden ships.

[image]local://upfiles/17451/F88C7387B2024A22A9A0EC622B9CF207.jpg[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 7:35:43 PM)

[image]local://upfiles/6968/30F6C48B19FB4CCDBDAF537BD0897321.jpg[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 7:40:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

quote:

Per, you trying to make some extra income before the Holidays? [;)]

From Minnesota Public Radio:

Last week, customs officers arrested a butter smuggler with 90 kilograms (200 pounds) stashed away in his car when he crossed the border from Sweden. Hawkers have been offering Swedish butter on the Internet for 400 kroner a kilogram ($32 a pound) — about six times the normal shop price.

Yeah, saw that in one of the evening papers ... wish I had thought of that first [:D]

Actually, there has been a followup on this. Apparentely, some enterprising dudes put up some butter on an norwegian auction site ... and got paid close to triple the amount you stated! [X(] Don't know if it's true or not. Could do some research, but why spoil a good story? [;)]

Norwegians ... [sm=crazy.gif][:'(]

Edited; Language incompability.

I saw this comic just a moment ago (not a setup, I swear...) [:D]

[image]local://upfiles/6968/094F17DE9C9F49AC8985193B71956310.jpg[/image]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 7:57:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

If anyone is in the Nashville area and wants to see the layout in Nolensville that I referenced earlier, just PM me and I will make arrangements for such. We are happy to show it off on an appointment basis. We can't do a general open to the public due to our zoning. The zoning does not allow general public showings. But, we can get away with by appointment only as we call it showing the layout to prospective members.

I will be sure to get in touch if/when I'm going to be anywhere near the area! [;)]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 7:59:59 PM)

[:D]

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 8:27:19 PM)

That cat series was hilarious.

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 8:41:40 PM)

Hey Nik,

You might be able to use this in your book commentaries. I’ve been husting this concept for maybe ten years now, and have a sheaf of rejections bigger than the Manhattan phone book. Most were valid and dealt with organization (I was pretty loosey, goosey, there). So got right and tight, and zeroed into specifics.

Finally got some nibbles on a contract, but had to have some editorially directed content. They liked the concept, but thought, as expressed, it would be just another how-to manual for model boat building. They wanted something more sexy. Without saying who, they are in the line of Putnam, or Random House.

The premise of the work is a technical comparison between frigate construction in the US, Britain, and France, according to drawings, plans, and contemporary works by respective national Naval Architects. It goes a long way towards peeing on the “generally accepted” nonsense replicated endlessly (and falsely) in modern works (and on the internet).

Once the publisher got it, and figured out he could do a revisionist publication that would directly confront and challenge William James’ Naval History of Great Britain, I was in like Flynn.

Didn’t matter what I knew, didn’t matter what really happened, so long as I could defecate on William James. Turns out that I think Williams James is an arrogant piece of snot that deserves being peed on, so I had no issues with that.

But it’s important to understand that historical reference books aren’t being published as a public service. They have to make some money for the publisher, so they have to have what the publishers call a “spark”. They gotta say something sharp and they gotta pee on something that has gone before.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 20th century book publishing.

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 8:52:43 PM)

Great peek inside the industry, John!  Thanks!

Dixie -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 8:59:31 PM)

Egads, I thought the forum dwellers here were bad.  Just be browsing the Star Wars Old Republic forums [8|]  People are complaining that they were promised up to five days early access to the game and they aren't in six days before release.  Someone has even said they're taking the developers to court over a broken contract or something [sm=nono.gif]

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 9:00:46 PM)

Ok, so Historical works are predicated the personal proclivities of some num-nut editor;

and who maybe went to Harvard;

and only because his Daddy did;

and because Daddy got him a pass;

because Daddy was an alumni and gives money;

and because Harvard worships money;

Daddy can enroll his cretin offspring;

and they can account themselves better than us;

because they went to Harvard.

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 9:11:49 PM)

So these are the people that one must deal with in the book industry.

utterly ignorant as to subject matter;

utterly arrogant as to presentation;

like finger on the nose;

snif, snif;

much like the Brits talking to colonials, way back;

that's how the Harvard educated now;

talk to us peons, down here.

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 9:15:31 PM)

But then the swine can't even parse English correctly.

he get's a D;

from Ms Hedrick's 6th grade English class;

he knows squat about usage of verbs;

he can't decline a verb if his life depended on it;

but he went to Harvard;

so he must be intelligent;

you think?

can pigs fly?

can one actually use pig ****;

to make anything;

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 9:35:20 PM)

And I can't really go farther with my take on the weazels in the publishing industry and their impact on the books that actually do come out.

Ok, I tried to do a NFP, but hey ...

I went to Bates;

Bates is a liberal, nazi, college;

like Harvard likes;

go to Bates;

and you get to register;

at lovely places like Harvard;

MIT, Cornel, Brown, Yale;

you know, the "right" schools;

so went there;

summer trimesters;

in bee yoo tee ful downtown Cambridge, Massachusetts;

at the Tute (MIT);

at Draper Labs;

helping develop weapons of mass destruction;

and loving it.

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 9:39:33 PM)

Ah, pooh, tried to do a new page. Yeah, couldn't do it, but probably let you all into my personal philosophy more than I would have wished.

Oh, well.

Ciao. John

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 9:47:29 PM)

You got pretty close, John....

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 9:48:01 PM)

....only 3 posts to go when you stopped...

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/15/2011 9:48:24 PM)

... but we all know what age can do to one's stamina.  [:'(]

Page: <<   < prev  40 41 [42] 43 44   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI