RE: THE THREAD!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 3:21:39 PM)

CELEBRATE!!!

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 4:05:15 PM)

[sm=character0272.gif][sm=00000436.gif][8D]

Treetop64 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 4:16:20 PM)

[:)]  "Got any butter?"

[:@]  "No!"

[:)]  "Got any grapes?"

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 4:55:06 PM)

... aaaahh ... not only Friday. The autumn from hell is now ended, and my three weeks holiday starts ... just about now [:)][:'(]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 5:03:00 PM)

Enjoy your vacation time, Per.  That is one thing I'll really miss this holiday season while I'm still working as a contractor.  I don't get any vacation days now, where I used to save enough every year for at least 2 full weeks off, if not more.  

bradfordkay -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 5:12:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
John, I think I can see part of your problem in getting publishers to take you seriously... [:'(]

I don't think you got the concept, Bradford.

I was the schmuk that said nothing, did nothing, just put my project out there. Once a publisher got hold of it, it was editor city.

Who the frik do you think you are to be talking about publishers anyway. I have a book contract, so they obviously take me seriously. So take your little attitude, and shove it in you brown place. Try writing a book and dealing with the publishing industry. Otherwise please refrain from commenting on what you know nothing about.

All I can say is, WOW!

This is THE THREAD!, John. No one takes ourselves very seriously here. I was making a joke about the 20th Century comment, that is all.

Nikademus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 5:14:53 PM)

quote:

Hey Nik,

You might be able to use this in your book commentaries. I’ve been husting this concept for maybe ten years now, and have a sheaf of rejections bigger than the Manhattan phone book. Most were valid and dealt with organization (I was pretty loosey, goosey, there). So got right and tight, and zeroed into specifics.

Finally got some nibbles on a contract, but had to have some editorially directed content. They liked the concept, but thought, as expressed, it would be just another how-to manual for model boat building. They wanted something more sexy. Without saying who, they are in the line of Putnam, or Random House.

The premise of the work is a technical comparison between frigate construction in the US, Britain, and France, according to drawings, plans, and contemporary works by respective national Naval Architects. It goes a long way towards peeing on the “generally accepted” nonsense replicated endlessly (and falsely) in modern works (and on the internet).

Once the publisher got it, and figured out he could do a revisionist publication that would directly confront and challenge William James’ Naval History of Great Britain, I was in like Flynn.

Didn’t matter what I knew, didn’t matter what really happened, so long as I could defecate on William James. Turns out that I think Williams James is an arrogant piece of snot that deserves being peed on, so I had no issues with that.

But it’s important to understand that historical reference books aren’t being published as a public service. They have to make some money for the publisher, so they have to have what the publishers call a “spark”. They gotta say something sharp and they gotta pee on something that has gone before.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 20th century book publishing.

I guess like any 'business', ultimately its about the Benjamins. Since getting my Kindle, when browsing titles i see the same statement on every book front page. (Price fixed by Publisher). Other thing that had me thinking along similar lines is in terms of cash cows.......WWII history still tends to be the biggest draw. More books written and continue to be written about it than any other I assume. Recently finished the latest book on "Midway" despite a hefty dose of skepticism. No....i'm not part of the "Parshalls/Tully are GOD" crowd and that Shattered Sword is the ONLY book one needs....more so it was the simple question...."how many books can really be written about one single day battle?" Ultimately the book did have some new insights to add to what is rapidly tiring as a subject.

So as WWII receeds farther and farther into history, yet remains a cash cow subject.....one can see it from both sides. We want ever more scholarly work, but as publishers.....their first question has to be the bottom line....."show me the Benjamins.....what is it about your new book that will push sales?"

anyway. Just more ramblings from an aging and increasingly silent amatuer historian......

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 5:28:21 PM)

quote:

Ah, pooh, tried to do a new page. Yeah, couldn't do it, but probably let you all into my personal philosophy more than I would have wished.

Oh, well.

Ciao. John

good thing i didn't go to harvard...[X(]...BTW John, you know it's number of posts, not size of posts that triggers next page? [;)]

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 5:29:01 PM)

TTIF tithe...[&o]

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 5:30:04 PM)

it's time to ask for goodies in the stocking...where did the dust settle on the Kindle, Fire, iPad, other reader settle?

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 5:33:19 PM)

My color Nook just got a major software upgrade. It now allows Netflix and other video streaming, web surfing and, of course, acts as an e-reader. The e-reader function is satisfactory for B/W text (e.g., most books), but shines on magazines or other color periodicals. There are comparatively few aps for the platform, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what advantages the Kindle Fire offers over this at this time. I likee my Nook, all the moreso with the new software / streaming features.

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 5:44:00 PM)

I've been leaning toward the Kindle Touch as a gift for my wife.  She doesn't want apps or color, just something to read books.  Lots and lots of books.  [:)]

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 5:46:38 PM)

Kindle 3G is great Mike. Thats what I gave my wife.

Any news on the job yet?

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:10:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

My color Nook just got a major software upgrade. It now allows Netflix and other video streaming, web surfing and, of course, acts as an e-reader. The e-reader function is satisfactory for B/W text (e.g., most books), but shines on magazines or other color periodicals. There are comparatively few aps for the platform, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what advantages the Kindle Fire offers over this at this time. I likee my Nook, all the moreso with the new software / streaming features.

i think i have it down to the nook simple touch or the kindle touch 3G...both B/W...i just can't see giving up the E Ink screens for color...the kindle has 3G <shrug>, but makes you pay an extra $30 to remove the ad feature? gah...

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:11:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Any news on the job yet?

did you consider the nook? curious...

Nikademus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:19:46 PM)

wasn't impressed with Nook myself

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:27:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

wasn't impressed with Nook myself

why so, Nik?

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:32:14 PM)

on a separate note, i have over 500 music CD's laying around and a friend whose teenage son is looking for small jobs...i'm comtemplating hiring him to rip all my CD's over the holidays, but would like a storage solution that doesn't tie up my rig...any thoughts?

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:34:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

on a separate note, i have over 500 music CD's laying around and a friend whose teenage son is looking for small jobs...i'm comtemplating hiring him to rip all my CD's over the holidays, but would like a storage solution that doesn't tie up my rig...any thoughts?

I have over 2k songs on my IPod...old tech though, I'm guessing you can put it on a smart phone now adays... I like my IPod because it fits in a sleve on my shoulder for workouts/biking/etc...

On the Nook..

I tried out my sisters, and it just seemed akward for me to navigate vs the kindle. Everyone I asked on here, the majority said Kindle...

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:39:27 PM)

I vote present.[:D]

bradfordkay -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:51:48 PM)

quote:

How about an external hard drive for storing your music and photos?

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:52:13 PM)

quote:

Any news on the job yet?

Recruiter is at the client company today. Waiting for the phone to ring. [:)]

bradfordkay -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:53:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

Any news on the job yet?

Recruiter is at the client company today. Waiting for the phone to ring. [:)]

Crossing my fingers for you...

But it does make typing and clicking the mouse button difficult!

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:55:35 PM)

Thanks, Brad!  You should try it with fingers, toes, and eyes crossed.  [sm=dizzy.gif] [:D]

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 6:57:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Enjoy your vacation time, Per.  That is one thing I'll really miss this holiday season while I'm still working as a contractor.  I don't get any vacation days now, where I used to save enough every year for at least 2 full weeks off, if not more.  

quote:

Recruiter is at the client company today. Waiting for the phone to ring.

Thanks Mike. I think I'll start out with catching a few days of sleep [>:]

Also hoping that the telephone will deliver happy news to you soon. If so, the cheers smiley is in the start block! [:)]

... and getting that job would mean you can start to save vacation days for next Christmas, right?

Edited: Spelling.

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 7:08:27 PM)

quote:

Dunno about the Kindle, but Nook has Pandora and .mp3 functionality...just sayin'.

Grollub -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 7:22:19 PM)

Now time to go and make some pancakes. Yum! [img]http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/10.gif[/img]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 7:34:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

... and getting that job would mean you can start to save vacation days for next Christmas, right?

It would, Per. Still contract work for the first 6 months, before converting to permanent employee, but then will save some vacation days for next Christmas. (Unless I burn them on a trip to the Turks in the summer. [;)])

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 7:50:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

How about an external hard drive for storing your music and photos?

yes, that is what i plan to do after the songs are ripped...i was wondering if there was anything out there that could rip without having to use my home computer...

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (12/16/2011 8:24:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

... aaaahh ... not only Friday. The autumn from hell is now ended, and my three weeks holiday starts ... just about now [:)][:'(]

I would sleep, golf, and play AE for 3 straight weeks.. but that is me.

Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI