RE: THE THREAD!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 1:23:19 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, seems Il Capitano was observed drinking in the ship's bar before the grounding. If we assume this to be true, that's a big NO! right there.

Costly mistake... very costly...

Leo "Apollo11"

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 3:09:14 PM)

Morning tithe...

@ Sprior: Seems as though Ronald Searle has recently passed. The Economist had a nice obit for him in the words of Nigel Molseworth of St. Custard's.

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 3:59:13 PM)

Good morning. Back from an amazing board retreat in Kansas City since Wednesday. Still kinda [>:]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 4:05:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Yeah, is going out drinking beer a good or a bad idea tonight, on Friday the 13th?

(Beware, either way I'm still heading to the pub!)

Obvert, I cannot think of a time when going out drinking beer at the pub is a bad thing. [8D]

When you are driving , and the cop parked directly outside just wrote down your licence plate number! [sm=00000116.gif]

A couple of years ago I read a funny story from Richmond, Virginia. There was a bar that the police were regularly watching at closing time and arresting the drunks who drove away from it. One night at closing they watched a fellow stumble out the door, weave over to a car and try his keys only to find that it wasn't his car. He then stumbled over to the right car, opened it and sat there. Other patrons exited the bar and drove off, but the cop stayed in order to get the seriously drunken guy he had watched. After everyone else had driven off, the fellow pulled out of the parking lot only to be immediately pulled over by the policeman. The driver then proceeded to pass every sobriety test, including the breathalyzer and blood tests. It turned out that the patrons of the bar were fed up with being targeted and so this guy was their designated decoy...

Good story. However...urban legend. Sorry.

bradfordkay -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 4:32:04 PM)

Oh well... it was a good story. I could have sworn that I read it in the Richmond Times Dispatch online a couple of years ago... 

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 4:33:09 PM)

Marc-

Thought of you last night in the store..

Little boy - "But mom.. I can wear these camo pants for anything! Why not?!" [:D]

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 4:40:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Good story. However...urban legend. Sorry.

So, you're back then? How'd the Sioux play this weekend? [:'(]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 5:39:40 PM)

Post lunchtime run - Tithe. [&o]

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 5:44:32 PM)

We find out at 2:30 PM today if we're having a boy or a girl this summer. [sm=character0272.gif]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 5:45:51 PM)

One of each? [:'(]

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 6:28:47 PM)

haha.. one for sure, no more... and it wont be a both..[X(]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 6:31:02 PM)

quote:

Well, it'll be a while until Schanilec shows his mug around these parts. What a thumping!

[sm=00000028.gif]

http://www.gophersports.com/allaccess/?media=292858

Naw, I'm fine. It's still a matter of the hours I get.[:(] A split is a split. 2-1, 2-6. Saturday just wasn't our night. Entertaining weekend though. I don't think it was wise for the ref's to allow the hand shake. The waters were already chummed. And Ben Blood (great hockey name) went for Seth Ambroz during the hand shake near the end of the line. Now that is what hockey is all about. Though Doug Woog has a different opinion from what I heard. I tried to say welcome home Marney. She didn't hear me. Can't say that the weekend will help the Golden Rodents in the national rankings. Can't say if it helped the Fighting Sioux either. We'll find out this evening.
All was better when the Packer's went down in flames.[:D]

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 6:34:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Marc-

Thought of you last night in the store..

Little boy - "But mom.. I can wear these camo pants for anything! Why not?!" [:D]

Damn straight buddy.[;)]

sprior -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 7:53:12 PM)

quote:

Morning tithe...

@ Sprior: Seems as though Ronald Searle has recently passed. The Economist had a nice obit for him in the words of Nigel Molseworth of St. Custard's.

And so they should!

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 8:27:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11
Thanks John (but it wasn't me writing the above - it was Ray "Skyros")!

Leo "Apollo11"

Sorry Leo. Guess I was confused. No offense meant.

So far, the debrief indicates the Captain deviated from the nominal course in order to give the passengers a closer view of the Costa Orbatello and Monte Argentario. Possibly, the ship was in the outside Civitaveccia-Tolone/Palermo-Livorno lane, but it would take only a 2 NautMile deviation from the lane towards Isola del Giglio to do the nasty. The ship may well have been in an inside lane, inside Isola di Giannutri, in which case the deviation would have been less than 1 km. This last seems more probable.

You know, I can almost understand his desire. He should have put a flag on the ricks; heck that coast has been sounded for since 3,000 years, and modern autohelm programs can handle that stuff no-worries, so WTFO?

He might have been a bit of a cowboy and that's not all bad, but the thing he cannot be forgiven is shirking his duty as Captain. The debrief stopped there and you needed a special password (which I ain't got) to see the rest. Reading between the lines, it seems to me the swine just bailed.

To my simple mind, a boat/ship's Captain is the person, under God, upon whom rests the responsibility for the welfare of every man, woman, child, dog, cat, parrot, and rat, under his command. A Captain never, ever, leaves his ship untill and unless everybody else is off or accounted for. If that means the Captain goes down, then the Captain goes goddam down. That is his job. That is his trust.

If we find that this Captain abandoned his trust, I will be in the merchant areas agitating seriously for this **** to be slowly, publicly hung, using piano wire, "Pour encourager les autres".

bradfordkay -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 8:34:01 PM)

According to news reports that I have read, the captain is claiming that the ship was following a route that it has followed "52 times a year" and that the rock it hit was uncharted. I'm having a hard time believing this...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2017250787_cruise16.html

"That appeared to diverge from declarations the company made Saturday insisting that the ship, the Costa Concordia, had used the normal course it followed "52 times a year."

Schettino insisted he was twice as far out and said the ship ran aground because the rocks weren't marked on his nautical charts.

However, he did concede he was maneuvering the ship in "touristic navigation" — implying a route that was a deviation from the norm and designed to entertain the tourists.

"We were navigating approximately 300 meters from the rocks," he told Mediaset television. "There shouldn't have been such a rock. On the nautical chart it indicated that there was water deep below."

Terminus -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 8:41:39 PM)

Yeah, because he's not trying to cover his ass AT ALL...

JWE -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 8:50:27 PM)

Rat Poop !!!!

I've raced in the Tyrrhenian lots of times. I have charts. Them rocks are clearly marked. Been clearly marked for 3,000 years. I can pull up my charts and see the GD things right now, today. What utter idiot is out there claiming these are unmarked? If anyone is so arrogant and stupid as to claim that, I will likely be at the trial; either me or one of 50,000 other sailors who know the location of those rocks to within a meter.

Can you say "Have no clue where the frikkin Mediterranean is, but am desperately trying to cover my ass and will lie like a Persian rug"?

jeffk3510 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 9:39:01 PM)

2nd one will be a booooy!

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 10:05:30 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11
Thanks John (but it wasn't me writing the above - it was Ray "Skyros")!

Sorry Leo. Guess I was confused. No offense meant.

No problem at all John! [:)]

quote:

So far, the debrief indicates the Captain deviated from the nominal course in order to give the passengers a closer view of the Costa Orbatello and Monte Argentario. Possibly, the ship was in the outside Civitaveccia-Tolone/Palermo-Livorno lane, but it would take only a 2 NautMile deviation from the lane towards Isola del Giglio to do the nasty. The ship may well have been in an inside lane, inside Isola di Giannutri, in which case the deviation would have been less than 1 km. This last seems more probable.

You know, I can almost understand his desire. He should have put a flag on the ricks; heck that coast has been sounded for since 3,000 years, and modern autohelm programs can handle that stuff no-worries, so WTFO?

He might have been a bit of a cowboy and that's not all bad, but the thing he cannot be forgiven is shirking his duty as Captain. The debrief stopped there and you needed a special password (which I ain't got) to see the rest. Reading between the lines, it seems to me the swine just bailed.

To my simple mind, a boat/ship's Captain is the person, under God, upon whom rests the responsibility for the welfare of every man, woman, child, dog, cat, parrot, and rat, under his command. A Captain never, ever, leaves his ship untill and unless everybody else is off or accounted for. If that means the Captain goes down, then the Captain goes goddam down. That is his job. That is his trust.

If we find that this Captain abandoned his trust, I will be in the merchant areas agitating seriously for this **** to be slowly, publicly hung, using piano wire, "Pour encourager les autres".

Yep... that was really bad behavior by the Captain (if it is true - same as if he got drunk earlier that evening as Kristian read)...

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

According to news reports that I have read, the captain is claiming that the ship was following a route that it has followed "52 times a year" and that the rock it hit was uncharted. I'm having a hard time believing this...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2017250787_cruise16.html

"That appeared to diverge from declarations the company made Saturday insisting that the ship, the Costa Concordia, had used the normal course it followed "52 times a year."

Schettino insisted he was twice as far out and said the ship ran aground because the rocks weren't marked on his nautical charts.

However, he did concede he was maneuvering the ship in "touristic navigation" — implying a route that was a deviation from the norm and designed to entertain the tourists.

"We were navigating approximately 300 meters from the rocks," he told Mediaset television. "There shouldn't have been such a rock. On the nautical chart it indicated that there was water deep below."

Sad (and utterly futile) behavior...

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Rat Poop !!!!

I've raced in the Tyrrhenian lots of times. I have charts. Them rocks are clearly marked. Been clearly marked for 3,000 years. I can pull up my charts and see the GD things right now, today. What utter idiot is out there claiming these are unmarked? If anyone is so arrogant and stupid as to claim that, I will likely be at the trial; either me or one of 50,000 other sailors who know the location of those rocks to within a meter.

Can you say "Have no clue where the frikkin Mediterranean is, but am desperately trying to cover my ass and will lie like a Persian rug"?

The ship was 100.000+ tons... it is a monster... 25+ feet keel... how on Earth they thought they could safely steer so near well known hazardous rocks known for thousands of years of maritime history there...

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 10:14:51 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

Congrats! [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 10:16:20 PM)

Hi all,

Opps... [X(][X(][X(]

quote:

'Please brace for an emergency water landing': BA flight crew mistakenly play recorded crash message on flight from Miami

By DailyMail UK

Passengers on board a British Airways flight from Miami to London got the fright of their lives when cabin crew mistakenly announced the plane was going down and they should brace themselves for an emergency water landing.

As panic began to spread among the passengers - with many fearing they were about to die - a flight attendant came on over the intercom to apologise, saying the message was played in error.

Duncan and Tracey Farquharson, from London, were on Saturday's flight and have accused the airline of trivializing passengers' concerns.

They told the Daily Telegraph that staff issued a 'blasé' apology and did not explain exactly what the error was until hours later, when they were landing at Heathrow.

Mr Farquharson, 58, an engineer, said: 'We were about three hours into the flight when an automated message came over the tannoy saying: "This is an emergency, we will shortly be making an emergency landing on water".

'We looked at each other and figured we were both about to die. Families with children were distraught and people were in tears. It was very distressing.

'About 30 seconds later one of the cabin crew told us to ignore the announcement and accept their apologies but the tone of suggested they had not grasped how seriously we had taken it,' he told the Telegraph.

'Imagining yourself plunging towards a cold, watery grave in the middle of the Atlantic is a pretty horrific thought but they seemed very blasé about it.'

Mrs Farquharson, 51, an administrator, added: 'The captain didn’t even say anything about it until when we were coming in to land and even that did not explain what had happened.

'It still makes me very emotional thinking about it now – it was very traumatic.'

A British Airways spokesman said that the cabin crew immediately apologised and spoke to passengers individually to reassure them.

They confirmed that the pre-recorded emergency announcement was activated in error.

The spokesman said: 'The cabin crew cancelled the announcement immediately and sought to reassure customers that the flight was operating normally.

'We would like to apologise to passengers on the flight for causing them undue concern.'

Leo "Apollo11"

Chickenboy -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 10:34:11 PM)

quote:

Boo-ya, daddy-o. [&o]

Apollo11 -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 11:07:09 PM)

Hi all,

Zsssssssss time... [>:][>:][>:]

Leo "Apollo11"

Schanilec -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 11:26:14 PM)

quote:

You Got 'er done.

Kwik E Mart -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/16/2012 11:57:22 PM)

survivor of bachelor party in vegas tithe...[&o][&o][&o]

witpqs -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/17/2012 12:18:22 AM)

You guys are all misinterpreting that poor captain's remarks. The rock was only charted in the water. It was not charted stuck in the side of the hull. [sm=crazy.gif]

On a serious note, John's explanation of that panic button (or whatever is the official name) situation is frightful. A good example of over-centralized decision making.

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/17/2012 1:11:59 AM)

quote:

Perhaps the rocks were migratory. [:D]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/17/2012 1:12:53 AM)

quote:

Congratulations, Jeff! [sm=00000436.gif]

USSAmerica -> RE: THE THREAD!!! (1/17/2012 1:14:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

survivor of bachelor party in vegas tithe...[&o][&o][&o]

Good to see you made it out alive. [:D]

Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI